Was this the height of Adventure Time?

Was this the height of Adventure Time?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9A3fc5qo2aA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Best Lich moment for sure. I'm hoping the finale will be the height.

Adventure Time's biggest problem is that the tone becomes a slog when nothing's actually happening. The Lich stuff was great because the episodes were always building somewhere.

I think the show's great on a rewatch if you skip everything but the plot-relevant episodes. The three miniseries feel like the writers realizing that.

I think the Lich is the best arc, but not the best moment.

I preferred the ending of "I remember you"
Granted all the stuff that came after it kinda ended up making it meaningless

no. That was rootbeer guy. then they killed him off screen for the most retarded reason. hack writing, the first symptom of terminal series illness.

>Watching AT for the plot

>ended up making it meaningless
Please elaborate.

They brought him back to life.

Right now adventure time is at it's last season and they are still making filler instead of plot episodes, they even have a movie in the works.
They don't even have time to set up the next big baddie the way they did with the lich, it's just a mess right now.

The whole Betty dimension diving shit, just how much we know about the great mushroom war now, how everyone just seems to accept Ice King and even outright call him Simon now.
Just kinda made the horribly feelsy implications of I remember you lose their impact now that we know Marceline is just cool with it and Ice King has become so senile that he barely even registers Betty trying to kill him, let alone has the faintest hint of recollection of his old life.

I'd say it was the fourth (?) season finale when the Lich wore Billy's skin, fooled Finn & Jake, & ended in a parallel universe. Everything following was downhill.

Betty shouldn't have come back. She should have stayed in the past & moved on in her love life.

Gumbald's not gonna be endgame, he's a mere stepping stone. Also, none of the episodes this season have been filler, really. Son of Rap Bear was FP's last hurrah. Always BMO Closing was more filler-y but it had the cup that made PB realise Gumbald had returned at least. It's clear the writers have gone hard to wrap it up.

>Marceline is just cool with it
She's making the best of the situation. I'm sure she still misses the person that he used to be, but she doesn't have a choice but to just accept it.

That dance that Jake did with the bug was.

This unironically
Power Animal is peak fun shenanigans AT
I'd say Dad's Dungeon is peak fun adventures with a hint of emotion AT
And maybe Simon and Marcy or Islands is peak lots of emotions/lore/backstory shit AT

AT is still pretty good imo, at least most of the time

I'm honestly confused by your reasoning, how is everyone accepting Ice King ruining the Simon tragedy? That's what they should be doing, would you rather they're always bummed out about it and trying to turn him back? That sounds much worse to me.

It's the stuff like Finn going from viewing Ice King as an enemy to a nuisance to a friend which I consider to be really great, it has a wonderful bittersweetness to it which has always been what AT excelled at in my eyes.

I think that the fact that they keep temporarily bringing Simon back with stuff like flashbacks, him returning to normal in Betty, and his computer version thing from the crown ruin the tragedy much more. Him ever interacting with Marceline is awful because it gives them closure which takes away like 80% of the tragedy about it and it's just cheap since everyone knows he's staying Ice King until the show ends.

Shit I agree. Can we agree the endings of Stakes and Elements both sucked?

Stakes sucked ass. Elements was fine

Stakes left me very cold but for reasons beyond the ending, thought the lazy contrivances certainly didn't help.
I was more okay with Elements because LSP's asspull was foreshadowed a lot and fits in with some other parts of the series, plus it left some changes, though those changes could have been used better, Jake going back to normal so quick was lame but expected. It's at least really cool that Gumbald being back was a consequence of that.

Yep, Escape from the Citadel was an astoundingly good episode and the Lich's "Fall" monologue was delivered perfectly
youtube.com/watch?v=9A3fc5qo2aA
It's the payoff for everything the Lich has done up to that point, given when it looks like his plan has worked perfectly and he stands on the precipice of victory. It's heavy and dark and threatening in all the right ways, the only downside is that it's only a minute long, so it can feel like the Lich's moment is too short.

Pic related from Wake Up is the moment when you know shit is about to hit the fan. Most of the cuts of Prismo's room have the lich out of frame, but this wide pan reminds the audience of his lurking presence just before his reanimation.

Marcy sure, maybe Finn, but Jake and even fucking PB?

I was fine with both of those endings. The ending of Stakes was the only logical way it could have concluded and it was executed fine. The Elements ending was a bit of an asspull but it was foreshadowed enough, and the strength of that miniseries was more the humour/character moments than the plot anyway. The ending of Islands was the weakest of all three. Finn and Minerva's meeting, and the resolution of their conflict was way too rushed to have the emotional impact it could, and should have had.

Marceline and Finn totally make sense, Marceline because of their history (and she never seemed to stop viewing Ice King as Simon) and Finn because he's an empathetic dude.

With Jake and PB Jake seems to finally just have warmed up to him after years, which I'm okay with. Jake isn't all BFFs with IK like Finn is which fits because IK is still annoying but Jake realized IK is harmless and pitiable more than anything else.

PB you do have a point, but as I remember she still seems to dislike IK and was only really nice that one episode where she was at dinner with him and that was exclusively for Marceline's sake. Even with him being cool now I don't think PB will ever forget the years of kidnappings.