Would you play a Sup Forums MMO?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YsOZHtHBlwU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why would I? Everyone will just be maining Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man. I mean, I would too.

What game is pic related from and why does that monster's head look like a penis?

Actually I main Merlin(DC)
He's the same as Merlin(Marvel) but with a different outfit.

We did, it was called City of Heroes and it was fucking awesome.

Yeah, but those Plebs. I'll be maining my boy Tony, preferably Superior.

From the discussion of the last thread it sounds to me like you just want a VRChat server for Sup Forums.

>What game is pic related from
Seems like rift

>why does that monster's head look like a penis?
Because you're a faggot.

I played Champions Online for a few years, it was quite fun and I remember it being pretty expansive. I remember being a bit iffy about a change they made to how powersets worked, and shortly after my friends pulled me into some different games and I stopped paying attention. Anyone here familiar with it?
I've played some DCUO as well, wasn't anything great except for the absolutely beautiful movement system. Running up/leaping tall buildings all day.
Also, HeroSmash apparently somehow still exists.
youtube.com/watch?v=YsOZHtHBlwU
Oh, I know who I'm going to be playing as.

I do.

i would play batman because he's darker and more realistic

That demon's head is a penis.
I cannot NOT see that as a penis.
This is what Sup Forums has done to me.

MMORPGs are absolute cancer, these days they're just money traps.

Seems like rift
I've played that before. The graphics look alright here but everywhere else has this game look awful.
>Because you're a faggot.
....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

ha. gwen is a pretty close visual to my 2nd champions character. A pink and white teen, with outfit a mix of Powergirl and gwen.

MMORPG=/=MMO

I would too if I wasn't a poorfag who can't afford VR or VR hand remotes. So I'd just feel bitter and left out.

Rifts was great until the first expansion, which fucked up the leveling curve so bad that everybody left and the game went F2P.
F2P was cool at first and then they moved a huge chunk of character stats to a ring slot you had to pay real money to unlock.

I did, and frankly, it was disappointing.

I can deal with them. The worse would be the Pickle Rick mains.

What would it play as anyway? Typical WoW-clone MMO with auto-attack and key bindings/clicking on abilities? Or something different?

>mfw everyone mains Batman even in non-DC games
wtf man

Did, for many years.

> 2017
> only a few people remember CoH
> most assume you'd pick an existing hero to play as instead of creating your own
this is a shitty timeline

Which is weird because DCUO and Champions Online still exist.

>CoH and CoV is dead
>CO is a ghost town save for the super dedicated that probably dumped hundreds into the game
>DCUO is filled with hackers
Superhero MMO's are dead

MMOs are dead in general. I mean, when WoW of all games starts making strides to become free to play, you know the genre is dying.

I think the only current successful MMO is FFXIV. And that had to basically be remade from the ground up

I mean, GW2 just released an expac and people seem pretty pleased with it.

Jesus fuck, I forgot about GW2
And I play GW2

I remember when it first came out and a lot of people were hyping it up as the "WoW killer". Hah.

GW2 is pretty big, but I think what turns some people off is how to lvl up/path
Most MMO's are pretty linear with a Story Quest and side quests. GW2 kind of just puts you into the world and you're not entirely sure what to do until you figure out it's just "Do everything"

GW2 is doing fine, but even at its peak it still didn't reach WoW at its lowest.

>There are people who wouldn't main Cotton Hill

>NPE
Everything is the next WoW killer

NPE?

I played. It was a great deal of fun and the character creation / leveling part of the game was simply incredible. The paragon studios team put soooo much effort into that part of the game.
Endgame content sucked and PvP was garbage. It was a game of literally leveling a character up to endgame and then starting over with a new one.
I miss the shit out of it though. I miss Caterday Team-Ups.

I think the only survival MMO's might actually strive for are new titles based on existing WILDLY successful franchises. And in saying this, I mean new franchises. A Star Wars MMO.... hasn't fucking worked in like, forever. Not with staying power.
A League of Legends world based MMO? Entirely different ball game.

Back to the topic of Super Hero MMO's... I'm not seeing a big broad appeal for it right now. Not for a treadmill style grinder. A hybrid of MMO and some other game genre has to happen.

We also played Champions Online and DCUO.

No. No we did not.

I did.

My niggahs.

I don't know about dead, but possibly in deep trouble.

I had a few ideas about how I might run a new Sup Forums-inspired MMO myself in an old Sup Forums thread if anyone wants me to dig them up. I think some of the ideas would be applicable for the MMO genre as a whole.

Conan and Warhammer were the last mmos that tried to innovate.

Conan didn't have auto attacks. You had to use specific weapon swing keys.

Warhammer with the territory control was great. Took over the good guy capital with in the first week. Making the game basically unplayable for them until they patched things. World PvP was level restricted. So high levels couldn't grief you. Then there were those zone quest pools. Just go to an area and kill shit and you and others contributed to completion. Everyone rewarded by how much they contributed.

Wow ate 6 years of my life.

Won't play another mmo. At least not until direct neural interface like in my anime.

Warhammer didn't innovate though. It was a copy/paste of the DaoC with a WHF paint job thrown over it. Made by the same devs.

CoH taught me not to play MMOs. I will never again invest time and money into a game that faceless suits in Korea can snatch away from me at will.

New Player Experience, it's when you play a new character as if you were completely new to the game, so no help from your other higher level characters.

Endgame got a lot better as time progressed, especially once the Incarnate system was introduced

>We also played Champions Online and DCUO
>Mfw remembering all that hype for DCUO
Great trailer. Too bad it's overrun by hackers and it's the deepest money sink since Korean MMO's
As for Champions, the only thing worth doing in that game is spending copious amounts of hours in the character creation

That was the biggest issue with Cryptic towards the end. CO and STO had amazing character creators, but the actual gameplay was weak as hell.

I tried champions online for a month. The thing that finally made me snap and cancel my subscription was this; there's an early game power called 'life drain' under sorcery, which drains life from your enemies and transfers it to you and to the people around you. It's pretty useful for a healer, but it's just a standard early game power, it's not in any way special or amazing. There's a copy of the power with different effects suitable for a telepath, except THIS version of the power, for no fucking reason, costs as much as a full set of end game gear and can only be bought at one very specific vendor using only one of the 9 or 10 different types of currency. I didn't find that out until after I had already levelled up a telepath character because absolutely fucking nothing in the game is ever, ever explained and the power is in no way marked as only being available through that vendor and absolutely nothing points you to where it can be bought. Everything in the game is like that. It's all a teetering jenga like stack of jank with no logic or reason to anything in it. Like how the map doesn't show contacts or stores or anything at all until you're already on top of it, and then they disappear again as soon as you get outside of viewing range. Total madness.

I really miss City of Heroes.

Friendly reminder that CO was originally supposed to be Marvel Universe Online, with the exact same graphics engine and gameplay.

We certainly did. DCUO was a ton of fun, it's a shame how compartmentalized it is because of the expansions. Even the "play as your favorite heroes" mode became pay-to-win eventually...

I didn't, DCUO is trash

The end game content is kind of lame, and the new voice actors are awful, but the leveling content is fun and the combat is pretty good and dynamic.

>sidekick simulator
>fun
>can't be just a dude what punches things, you need a superpower

Nah, it's good. Better than other mainstream MMOs at the time by a good margin, even. Sorry you hate fun, though.

it was a shit CoH knockoff that didn't even let you be your own hero

It had little in common with CoH and I have no idea what you mean by "didn't let you be your own hero." Are you complaining that you took orders from the Justice League? Because it's a DC game, DC heroes are part of the selling point.

it was a sidekick simulator

Even supposing that was true, how is it bad?

Because a superhero game should be about being a superhero, not a sidekick

the only downside is there wasn't an expansion that lets you mentor under the JSA brownstone instead of the watchtower. I'd fucking pay 30 bucks to get my missions from Jay and Alan

>As for Champions, the only thing worth doing in that game is spending copious amounts of hours in the character creation
To be fair the combat is also pretty decent for an MMO. I really like how powerful DPS's are- you can wipe out an entire crowd of henchmen in 0.5 to 2 seconds. Lieutenants take two or three seconds of focused attention and bosses can take like, maybe 10 seconds to beat. And on the flipside, they can kick your ass just as quickly, so you have to actually be careful sometimes instead of just chugging an endless supply of potions. It really makes it feel closer to an action game then the typical MMO where you spend 10 minutes cycling through all of your powers just to kill a single low threat zombie.

It's just, every single other aspect of the game is fucking trash.

If they were to refine CO, and I mean really refine it
Really really refine it
It wouldn't be half bad
Because really the major "selling point" for the game is its character creator. It's mainly what anyone would say is good for the game

Sidekicks are superheroes. There are plenty of scenarios where no DC heroes are involved, too, like basically all the PvP.

It's like Dick Grayson becoming Nightwing: he wants to get out from under Batman's shadow and be his own independent hero

there's no moment like that in DCUO

Actually if you get far enough in you do get a mission where your chosen mentor acknowledges you as an equal and welcomes you to the league. Even Batman, who does it in a super grumpy "yeah I guess you did ok..." sort of way. It's pretty good.

Is this the thread where we post CoX costumes?

Nigga i would main Freakzoid, The mask or Madmen and shit on every one of them

I didn't want to feel tonight

You're thinking in MOBAS

no, he's right

>Everyone saying that the only good thing about Champions is the CC
>Tfw according to Steam I've spent 44h plying Champions
>Tfw have never actually played the game and actually spent just 44h fucking around in the CC
It kills time

Would you stop talking about vydia on my Sup Forums please?
Any fucking excuse, actual adaptations, game to cartoon and cartoon to game adaptations that don't even exist (nor will or should they), game with a cartoony artstyle, just fuck off already. They're transparently just excuses to talk about Sup Forums shit.

Holy shit same here, how the fuck did I spend nearly two days of playtime and not play the actual game?

I don't remember exactly what I named her, it was poison something. The haircut combined with the gasmask gave her this awesome constantly bored look, though.

Okay.

This is Atomic Red, basic idea behind him is that he's a Soviet Era science project to show off superior Russian sciences and engineering. His actual functions are "playing chess and piano"

But, when you're an eightfoot tall robot and a micro-nuclear reactor in your chest necessitates inch-thick metal chassis and the strength to move it, you're kind of all set to save the day. He's also technically an aberration as he wasn't designed to have an AI and somehow developed one when none of his systems should support such a development.

I actually want to reuse the rough character concept for an FPS-puzzle/problem solving game where he's "The Automated Proletariat" and half the game is using your built-in tools to build things and shoot stuff.

It kills time really fast it's not even funny
You're pretty much sent to a different dimension where the concept of time doesn't exist
And by time you've finished your masterpiece half the day has past

I wish that someone would make a singleplayer superhero game with all the customizability of a superhero MMO. It's always one or the other- either you can get a game with awesome mechanics like say infamous, but you're confined to playing their crappy idea of a superhero, like say infamous. Or, you can make up a hero of your own, who's guaranteed to be the coolest fucking thing in the world (to you), but you'll have to deal with shitty MMO mechanics and the immersion breaking nature of unheroically having to elbow the giant mob of other superheroes out of the way whenever you want to talk to a helpless damsel with a quest for you.

We always have Wakfu and Runescape.
>tfw no Runescape '06 cartoon.
>Muh dick when female lava golems.

So, MOBAS are not cancer money traps?

well they are but so are MMOs now

So does anybody have any hopes for any of the CoX sucessors? (Ship of Heroes, Valiance Online, City of Titans)

I'm not sure anything will come out of any of them, as MMO's are extremely difficult to make and require large amounts of resouces, so indie MMO's generally don't make a go of it. But hey, anything could happen, right?

Why didn't Jagex ever fund a Runescape cartoon?

they all look like they have potential but I just can't get into Ship's concept

also Apotheosis City is a dumb name

Heroes of the Storm and Dota are not. You do not have to pay real money for a single item in either of those games. You literally get $30 cosmetics as free drops all the time. I can speak from experience. I have Pajamathur.

Just because League is a greedy piece of shit doesn't mean the rest of the games are.

Them having a concept at all in a superhero MMO is pretty damn dumb. The whole point is so that people can make their own heroes, to have as generic a superhero universe as possible so that you can have sorcerers fighting alongside robots fighting alongside mutants fighting alongside normal people with hardcore training and gadgets. As I understand it, the backstory for every single character in Ship of Heroes is the same; 'You are a regular person who's had some science shit embedded in you because it's the future'. I, personally, leaned heavily on robots and technology sci-fi heroes anyway so it probably wouldn't be such a big deal to me, but to some other dude who adores doctor strange way more then iron man, he's going to get shafted.

Most of GW2's content is also incredibly neglected. I can count the number of major updates for WvW (three servers fight over objectives on 4 maps for a week, then get rematched) and structured PvP (teamfights) SINCE LAUNCH on one hand, and half of them were for the worst (WvW's new maps being vertical puzzles that turn into walking simulators trying to find someone to fight, PvP's new maps being fucking MOBAs as they try to pry into esports). Fractals (minidungeon gauntlet) have only recently gotten some love. Dungeons have been officially abandoned and exist only as relics to obtain some skins (that you can get through WvW/PvP reward tracks).
The only thing they've paid consistent attention to since launch is the living story, which was definitely never well-written but has turned more cancerously quippy than a Marvel movie (not exaggerating, every piece of dialogue contains quips, even in "serious" scenarios). More recently they've done a lot of work on raids, which at a glance look alright (by MMO raid standards), but I haven't played any of them since I came back and my guild's 10-man group already had a queue.
The game's content just feels 2/3 dead, you're lucky if a neglected game mode gets a "large" (moderate by most games' standards) update once per year.
Also they've pretty much given up on new individual armor pieces, and what they do produce is just shat-out ugly garbage in favor of selling uncustomizable entire "outfits" on the gem store, so the Fashion Wars 2 aspect is also long-stagnant.

It sure is Sup Forums in this thread

>bumped the thread from page 10
nice work, genius