Millar and Morrison feud

Did anybody ever figure out what the fuck happened between these two?

Grant is generally a very positive (or at least diplomatic) speaker in interviews and stuff - even when he's being nasty about Alan Moore, the vitriol is calculated and restrained.

The feud with Millar baffles me: Grant says shit like "he destroyed my faith in basic human nature" and talks about hitting him with a car. That's high level fucking hatred.

What the fuck is this all about? I've never been able to dredge up anything specific or satisfactory. The guys used to work together frequently, and some ancient blogs mention vague shit about ghostwriting credits and insinuations of idea theft.

What the fuck did Millar do? And why is it some big fucking mystery?

Every other creator and artist fight is exhaustively documented. There's usually court cases that tell the story for the big shit.

What the fuck am I missing?

Millar tried to fuck the DC Universe first, without Morrison to tag in.

he stole red sun from morrison

Millay got the movie deals and Morrison only got a Happy tv show

Millar was talented and Grant was jealous

Bump for interest. I've always wanted to know too.

Is it basically that Morrison told Millar an idea he had for a comic and Millar wrote a shitty Millar version and Morrison got angry because of it?

Imagine if Morrison had the idea for Civil War and it was Millar who went to Marvel with the idea? Though I think the beef began before that.

Morrison pitched the idea of Red Son first. As far as I can tell, he literally wrote the first and last chapters almost entirely.

Yet his name is nowhere to be seen on the book, and it's one of the most popular Superman books ever. And Morrison can't say shit because it's no longer worth the hassle.

I would be furious too.

>talks about hitting him with a car
The way he said it was super awesome, though.

Everyone goes back to the red son story with this. I think I even remember Millar crediting Morrison with the ending at least.

If Grant wrote the entire fuckin thing, why isn't he credited? Is there a fucking conspiracy surrounding the authorship of Red Son?

It's not like that the only story Grant and mark worked on together, and Grant worked on HUGE stories at DC for many many years afterwards.

It can't JUST be Red Son.

This is just speculation but the way I've heard it is that Morrison and Millar were co-writing it (based on Morrison's idea) but they had creative differences with it. Morrison dropped out but Millar decided he would go ahead and finish it as his own project. Morrison was understandably upset that more than a little of Morrison's stuff ended up in the final product. But Morrison fucking hates things like legal battles, so he never tried to pursue further credit (plus I imagine it would've damaged his very profitable relationship with DC).

So in the end Morrison sucked it up and went on with his life, with one fewer friend.

Scotsmen save their truest hatreds for one another.

two words Wizard's Dual

This makes sense, thank you.
Its just so strange to me that even after all these years the whole story hasn't taken on a canonical, public and concrete form.

But Millar ISNT a wizard. Morrison and Moore have a big wizard feud, which is hilarious, but it's all been out in the public. I mean, maybe they lay hexes on one another privately, but so much has been stated by both parties in interviews that nothing is really left to speculate about.

With Grant X Mark, you've got one guy threatening death and another smiling obliviously acknowledging nothing while he writes Kick Ass 4.

I have no idea why this all fascinates me so much.

He may not be a wizard but Millar's obviously made some sort of deal with Satan or a similar entity, it explains his wild success while being no better than average.

I think it's because, above all else, both of them are extremely professional. They know it benefits nobody for them to air their dirty laundry, so they just keep it to themselves.

>Did anybody ever figure out what the fuck happened between these two?
no one can fight like scots and other scots. damn scots they ruined scotland

I've done a bunch of digging around trying to get to the bottom of this story. What I've heard is basically this: Millar and Morrison were friends at the time. Millar was writing Red Son and chatting with Morrison on the phone, shooting the shit, sharing ideas and whatnot, as friends might. Morrison suggested what wound up being the ending and Millar was like "That's fuckin' brilliant. Mind if I use that?" Morrison gave him the go-ahead and Millar incorporated Morrison's idea into the end.

From this the entire urban myth that we've seen a few versions of in this thread emerged, as well as other even more absurd ones like that Morrison ghost-wrote the entire story and Millar somehow stole credit and had his name attached to it.

I don't know how their friendship ended, but I don't think it had anything to do with Red Son per se.

No one knows exactly for sure what it was. The closest is probably Morrison's account in Supergods where he implies that at the time Millar was co-writing with him, Morrison was doing the heavy lifting. There were also other rumors I remembered brought up all the way back when the breakup happened, such as a confrontation between the two at a Wildstorm party, another rumor about Millar getting Quitely to do Authority with him even though he knew Morrison wanted to do something (possibly X-Men?) with with Quitely. Another I think having to do with Authority #28 (which Morrison ghost-wrote), another about rumors over whether Morrison actually had a hand in helping to develop Ultimates during the first arc, and other things. Another thing I remembered was the similarity between All Star Superman's resolution with Luthor and The Authority's resolution with the evil Doctor... but a few months after All Star Superman concluded, Morrison did an interview and said that Luthor's resolution was going to happen in one of the Superman 2000 pitches they worked on.

I mean there's still even the possibility that Morrison could be exaggerating, but at the same time I remembered that Waid may not exactly have a positive view of Millar (I remembered on Twitter he took a jab at Millar's ego, and if you read Waid's write-up about Insufferable, and remember that he's friends with Morrison, it's not hard to see that the superhero and his sidekick might've been based on Morrison and Millar, sort of.

It most likely has nothing to do with comics.

I don't think it was Red Son, either. I think it was probably just a bunch of different things that led to a final straw. With Red Son, Morrison was mostly taking a jab at Millar in the interview, and then Millar went on his forum to sort of downplay it by emphasizing that Morrison got the idea from Astro City's Samaritan and that he and Morrison used to toss around ideas (Morrison gave Millar the Red Son ending idea, Millar gave Morrison the idea of having Ultraman fry a cat in JLA Earth 2).

Millar licks goats and Morrison finds that disgusting.

Grant's not an asshole.

How complicated is it to figure it out.

Only a total and complete waste of space would do something like talk shit about someone when their is a tangible, physical record of their existence as cooperative co-workers and likely actual friends versus simply friendly work acquaintances, since there is also the tangible, physical record of mentorship.

Sadly, we live in a world, especially on the internet, where people assume being a dick and an asshole is the way to make your point and get ahead in life, or at least on-line.

Millar comes across as a opportunist, everything is made to become a movie, the Ultimates was written as a Jewish Neocon fantasy during the Bush years.

really? Grant seems like a huge asshole and provocateur, see his relationship with Moore
if anything Millar's easy going nature and accord with artists have made him so successful. He seemingly only has "beef" with Morrison, but everyone else loves to work with him.

Morrison liked the Sex Pistols while Millar said the Clash was way more important

Back when they were with 2000AD the editorial pages, which caricaturized the artists and writers as "art droids" would have Millarbot as a baby droid following Grant-bot around saying "I love Gwant" so it seems at that point Millar was very much a follower

Moore is pretty anal though, he got ofended by the whole Superfolks thing even if what Morrison said was true. He's acted pretty childish throughout the while "feud" while Morrison has remained diplomatic and has praised plenty of Moore's work.
There are plenty of people that don't like Millar, like Ellis for example.

I think the main reason was that first of all there was red son

and there's also the fact that Morrison has been trying to break into films/tv for years (he's written a screenplay for just about every indie he has), and he asked Millar to put in a good word for him after all of his stuff started getting adapted, and that obviously didn't happen

It has nothing to do with Red Son. Basically, Morrison ghost wrote a few of Millar's issues when he was sick, and Millar later claimed that it was all him.

Both Morrison and Millar were unironically terrible for 2000AD, Zenith possibly excepted.

Kek

The fact that Millar has had 5 movies made, without even counting his Marvel shit, and just made that Netflix dead, while the only adaptation Millar is getting is a TV show for his worst comic... it's a fucking shame.

I heard that Morrison secretly ghost wrote an issue of The Authority while Millar was in the hospital. Later Morrison was questioned about this by friends and industry insiders and admitted that he wrote the issue. Millar was super pissed at Grant and basically cut all ties with him. Morrison wasn't trying to throw Millar under the bus, he just didn't want to lie about something he wrote, he never tried to claim credit for the issue publicly or anything like that he just refused to deny that he was actually the writer.

This is all rumor of course. I think their feud is really more personal than professional and probably has very little to do with their careers. There's plenty of people I was once friends with who I now hate without some big single incident. Sometimes you just slowly begin to realize that someone you thought was your friend is actually an asshole.

Morrison was a bit of an asshole in the early years of his career. He became successful at a pretty young age and he said some pretty controversial things just to cultivate a "punk" image for himself. He's later admitted to all of this of course.

>Millar was talented and Grant was jealous

lolno

>Millar was successful and Grant was jealous

fify

>Millar licks goats and Morrison finds that disgusting.

I find that very hard to believe. Particularly the latter part.

I wouldn't be surprised if Morrison came out as omnisexual like Barrowman

oh shit i can't believe i'm agreeing with millar on this one

also morrison was also tossed the idea to millar that the super soldier serum used on both captain america and the hulk in the ultimates should be derived from skrull dna but it didn't happen but it goes to show at least in chronology it couldn't be red son... or could it?

Based on reading Supergods I think Morrison viewed him as an acolyte and when Millar started getting big both their egos started chafing. Morrison when the pupil thought he was the equal to the master, and Millar because Morrison treated him like a fucking kid. It probably escalated over some petty bullshit they both had pent up for a while, the split went deeper but I don't think the trigger was anything noteworthy.

I think it might be something like:
The first issue of Morrison's "Animal Man" came out 1988. Impressed by it, he was given "Doom Patrol", which started 1989 - the same year "Arkham Asylum" came out, which launched Morrison into stardom. Mark Millar still wrote for "2000 A.D." at this point.

It's not until 1994 that Millar and Morrison co-write "Swamp Thing". Morrison does "The Invisibles" and helps Millar out with "Skrull Kill Krew" in 1995. Millar does the occasional issue of his own stuff here-there but co-writes "Aztek", "JLA", "The Flash", and "Vampirella" with Morrison. In 1998 he starts writing "Adventures of Superman".

In 2000, Millar is working on "The Adventures of Superman" and "The Authority". Morrison has "JLA", "The Invisibles" and "Marvel Boy". Millars real big break comes in 2001 with "Ultimate X-Men" and "Ultimates", followed by "Red Son" in 2003; during which Morrison is doing "New X-Men" and "The Filth".

It seems that in the 90s, Morrison pretty much carried Millar which probably made Morrison think that Millar owed his career to him - once Millar got big, that sentiment turned into ungratefulness so they drifted apart. Put the two next to each other now and you see one that does weird, magic, meta stories and the other who's like a 13 year-old edgelord that does blockbusters.

>Millar was talented