Why are comics typecast into the superhero genre and not another genre like mystery, fantasy, westerns or sci-fi?

Why are comics typecast into the superhero genre and not another genre like mystery, fantasy, westerns or sci-fi?

Is it perhaps because the early printing perhaps could only capture bright colours, which complemented the design of superheros costumes and the simpler morality, but couldn't work with another genre very well?

Other urls found in this thread:

comicsbeat.com/the-current-comics-industry-in-two-charts/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What is the Comics Code Authority And "The Seduction of the Innocent"? But of course lets not forget when Marvel released a slew of books in the 80s to kill First Comics and all it's contempariares.

Bad business

There are only 3 companies that specialize in superhero comics, and 1 of them is Valiant, so it's more like 2 1/2.

Most of the rest of the industry is sci-fi and hipster shit. THOSE are what there's really far too much of.

This. Image just keeps shitting out badly written Sci fi and fantasy. I don't know why people keep saying that there's not enough of Sci fi and fantasy, when those two make up the majority of comics.

censorship in the 1950s

>Why are comics typecast into the superhero genre
they are? only a quarter of my pull list is superhero comics

Do you think people would be able to read that message from Earth?

Like, consider the size of the moon as seen from Earth. Sure, the message is big, but is it big enough to be read legibly?

It's the comics code authority.
It's the genre that came out the least damaged.

With a cheep telescope.

The Comic Code seriously fucked the entire medium over by hindering the shit out of the kinds of content writers were allowed to write in the 50's/60's, and only capeshit could endure through that ordeal with such ridiculous, toothless Silver Age cartoon premises. So now most of the only enduring franchises of that medium to survive long enough to assimilate into modern pop culture are now capeshit, because anything else was stopped dead in it's tracks and never picked up again, which subsequently deterred everyone else from picking up those genres since no one could be sure they'd have a safe, consistent audience with them.

You are all clearly anons of refined taste but you are greatly over estimating the impact of the smaller publishers.
www.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/3/237?articleID=190648

Don't worry, only burgerland suffer from this problem. Probably because of the Comic Code.

Seduction of the Innocent.

You are in the minority

Except marvel and DC comprise over 2/3 of the unit and dollar share so no "most" of the industry is not anything bus superhero

The CCA is a big part of it, but people here chalking the entire thing up to it are overselling it.

The CCA basically killed the most successful crime and horror publishers, yes, but National and Atlas were doing just fine still putting out romance, cowboy, military, monster, and cartoon comics, and of course Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman continued to sell.

Business was still good, though Atlas was quickly being driven out of business by National. National (aka DC) was eating up all the sales.

In the late 50's Julius Schwartz, Carmine Infantino, Robert Kanigher and Gardner Fox had the idea to bring back some of their 40's superheroes like the Flash, and that was that.

Superheroes took off simply because kids really liked them, not because they were the only thing there was.

Aw, no fair! Chairface Chippendale couldn't even get past CHA when writing his name.

>Diamond
Yeah, there's your problem. Despite what Diamond and the Big 2 want you to think, Diamond isn't actually representative of the whole industry. Just direct market floppie sales which are a cancer business model that literally only appeals to the types of people that obsess over capecomics.

Does this count Comixology and other digital distribution methods?

Diamond's figures are also the only detailed numbers we have. They may be bullshit but they are bullshit in ways that are consistent and therefore still useful. I don't think its unreasonable to assume they represent the general trend of sales in other markets too.
Also as outmoded as they may be floppies still make up the largest portion of comic sales

>ib4 [citation needed]
comicsbeat.com/the-current-comics-industry-in-two-charts/

But that's what he's talking about, those only show TPB sales through Diamond, not from book stores like Barnes & Noble or Amazon.

Sure, and i don't doubt we aren't getting the full picture. The publishing industry as a whole is notorious for market manipulation but it stretches credulity to imagine that the two companies that out sell all their competitors combined by a ratio of 3 to1 would somehow fail so dramatically in every other market.
Just to be clear I don't consider any of this a win. The big two's dominance is sloely choking the industry. More varity can only be a good thing. I'm just pointing out that Image and the like have a long way to go yet

But it is possible that the markets that Diamond don't monitor (non-direct market TPBs and digital) more heavily favour the third party publishers since the big two are pretty much the only ones who still place an emphasis on singles.

It's possible and if you have those numbers I'd love to see them but both my own causal experience and Suggest that's not what's happening