Why people claim the Spiderman is more "relatable" than other heroes?

He's a handsome supergenius orphan that dated literally dozens of hot, famous girls and married a supermodel.Also, yeah spider powers.

Because Spiderfags like to pretend he's both the most relatable superhero ever and the best one at everything ever too. It's insane.

Because life constantly shits on him, much like his comic

He had problems. Certainly if you look at pre marriage comics.

Because everything is relative. Yes, Spider-Man is all those things....but he's also originally portrayed as a bitter angry nerdy guy who was not popular

He is relatable because of that, and he's a hero because he's everything people like that wish they were. It wouldn't make sense to have him be an ACTUAL loser, he still needs to be the hero of his story...nobody would read Spider-Man comics if he lost to every villain and looked like CWC

Because Peter got to pull a Pym and that shit didn't stick to him forever and ever.

Read my first Spooderman comic, it was spiderverse.

My god, why do people like this character? I think it wasn't the right comic to jump into, but hot damn.

And people say Superman is unrelatable... sheeeeeeeeees. Spiderman is time traveling and has a bunch of boring ass clones of himself making him practically useless. He owns a business and is incredibly successful yet still feels the need on basically bullying his victims. Always has hot girlfriends. Recently I read a Chip Zdursky or whatever one, and he was one big fucking insecure annoying, unfunny, character.

How is this the most popular superhero? Am I missing out on something? I've never heard of someone recommending a must read story for Spiderman either, like with Batman/Superman. Why is he so popular.

Original Spider-Man was a nerdy teen who had a couple of crushes on pretty girls, couldn't manage to talk to them without spilling his spaghetti, was broke, was being raised by his grandparent aged aunt and uncle from unspecified age cause his parents died in a car accident.

When he first got his powers, all he thought about, other than being even more of a loner freakazoid, was to use them to MAKE MONEY and stop being so damn awful poor that even if he could manage to ask a girl out, he couldn't even buy her a stick of gum.

The making money and not helping out when asked bit him very much in the ass, turning him into a vigilante avenger who from then on was the Charlie Brown of super heroes. Teen Spidey was literally smarter than every other human (including supers), stronger than every other (including supers), had absolute precognition danger sense, was able to do just about anything--- but get a job and not be constantly broke. He had to take a job for a newspaper guy who HATED his hero ID and treated everyone like shit. He was constantly worried about having his secret ID found out, the health of his Aunt May, and getting a date.

Life constantly shit on Peter, but he'd cowboy up and save the universe, every damn time.

THAT'S the legendary, beloved Web Head. He would every once in a very long while get lucky or make a bit of progress and NOT get knocked back to square one, but it was a very slow climb up from being working poor to respectable photojournalist--- and then new Marvel directions decided to stop him being the Charlie Brown of Marvel, and give him all the millennial wish fulfilment possible.

Old Spidey is great. New Spidey is a typical web-comic marty sue. Very different heroes.

Almost all characters, in DC especially, started kind of bland and got interesting with time. Early Batman stories are not as good as what came after.

Spider-Man actually started pretty good, and all his iconic, "relatable" moments are from his early run.

Most people who don't read a lot of comics don't know what came after. As far as most people know, Batman is a billionaire, Superman is a god, and Spider-Man is a hapless nerd who got lucky.

Why the fuck did you read Spider-Verse of all things?

Spider-Man isn't relatable

He's a self-insert

Fuck if I know, I wanted to get into Spiderman and saw it got decent reviews on some random website so I said "fuck it, I'll get it." It was awful.

Read his early stuff. Or PADs run on Spectacular. Or Spider-Man Blue. Literally anything but shit after OMD though.

Because he tends to make shitty mistakes, like the rest of us would if we were in his position.

Think of the times he's given up, thought about breaking the law, was generally selfish, or straight cheated on his girl because it felt right.

Peter might be a handsome super genius, but that's not what makes him relatable. It's how he reacts to the situations he's in that does it and it's awesome.

Because he was intentionally written as an imperfect superhero who does not have his life together. He was literally created to be more relatable.

>marty sue

It's not a gendered phrase. Stop doing this.

It isn though. The male version is Gary Stu though.

Because he was originally written as someone who was insecure and obsessed with dealing with his problems himself and not letting anyone else in. Since he had jobody to talk to, he never had a big "super hero moment" where he left his old life behind, and instead made the naive gambit of just trying to do both. This meant he went around lying to his supporting cast and causing his own problems, which is entertaining. Those are realistic character flaws that modern day marvel tries to write around or ignores.

Peter gives up. He doubts. He steals, fucks people over, and most importantly of all, the story does not turn away or ignore thise actions. Look at Homecoming, where Peter totally alienates Liz and she just magically moves away at the end of the story. In a good Spidey comic, she wouldnt move away. Peter alienating her would just be the beginning, and the story would come from Peter dealing with the choices he's made. Spider-Man just isnt forced to take responsibility nowadays.

>married a supermodel
That's where you're wrong kiddo, also I thought a lot of people have described Pete's face as average.

Renew your vows.

Nova is more relatbe than spiderman these days.

>caring about AU shit
This is why they will never fix OMD

At-least mary jane isn't fucking the goblin.

his original conception was that of a nerdy kid who was suddenly imbued with powers, he was super smart to justify his gadgets, but also because a smart nerdy kid was exactly the kind of kid who read comics back in the day

>but he's also originally portrayed as a bitter angry nerdy guy who was not popular
For the first 20 or so Ditko issues, yeah, but shooo shooter Woody Allen is a completely different character from the thousands of issues and adaptation that followed. Under any other writer, Parker is a total Joe Sue, and his "Parker Luck" life is miles ahead of most heroes and even C list villains like Rhyno or Kite Man.

>I've never heard of someone recommending a must read story for Spiderman either, like with Batman/Superman. Why is he so popular.
Kravens Last Hunt and the original Ditko run.

The difference is Pym is a faggot while Peter isnt

He was the first big teen hero. Even his advertising at launch reflected that.

he acts more like how we expect people to react in most situations thats what relatable means.
compare superman, who is inspirational more than he is relatable, but that works for soups

But she did fuck Tony Stark. Thanks Bendis!

No, she didn't.

Wow thats so untrue I cant believe it, Hank would out-fuck Peter any day.

Bruce Wayne is the closest thing to a "relatable" hero in a major comic. Zuckerberg could be Batman if he wanted to.

>Bruce Wayne is the closest thing to a "relatable" hero

Are you high? He is world greatest detective and he fucks sexy Asian/cat woman. While having assassin son.

>Girl you like moves away because you busted her supervillian father
>Not a direct consequence of your own actions

You lost me.

Not him, but Bruce is relatable in a similar way Peter is. People love Bruce because he's the most "human" superhero in DC since he doesn't have any "powers". Even though he's a genius olympic athlete billionaire that is good at anything and keeps up with Gods. Anything but relatable.

Bruce is still a rich guy who was born into perfection, and the fact that his parents died doesn't change that. Peter was literally a normal kid who happened to get super powers, and thats what most of the fanbase wishes they were....Peter is far more relatable than Bruce since most people will never know what it is to be born into wealth and own a city

Spidey stopped being relatable a long time ago which is to be expected.

I don't get the supermodel argument. I really don't. Have you guys been outside and lived the real world here?

All sorts of different types of people get together and hook up. Dating someone who was out of your league isn't some fantasy trope. It's happened in real life plenty of fucking times.

isn't peter and tony's conquests/love interest near enough to be considered equal but since peter's nowhere near tony's level of money, peter's tally is more impressive?

>Married to supermodel
MJ is a B tier model, if she was a real model she'd be living somewhere else

You basically chose the Multiverse chooses to make it all about him as a starting point, where all the Spider related superheroes that could ever happen end up showing up. That said, really, stuff before Civil War tends to be good, as is Spiderman and the Special Class (X Men related thing) since that is just the author having fun with the misadventures of Spiderman and a bunch of kids voted most likely to turn supervillain.

Because classic Spider-man was always a hard on his luck sadsack nerd, doting on his auntie, getting shit pay for his photographs, getting bullied by Flash, missing dates because he had to save people as Spidey, etc. As for being married to a supermodel, Marvel undid that precisely because they thought it undercut the classic Spidey archetype (albeit they undid it in a completely retarded way).

The only thing that was unrelatable was who he was married too and I was fine with that, because all shit he goes through there was that super hot girl that stayed, and peter deserved it. It's mainly the constant life shitting on him, but while he's spider-man he doesn't act like a standard super hero, he's funny and snarky and can be a dick at times. He acts like a new yorker with out super powers. He's a down to earth character. Depending on how people draw him peter is supposed to be that plain kid no one notices. I hate slott and all the previous writers that ruined him at the start of civil war. Now shit gets worse and worse and worse.

Oh and the super genius part is also unrelatable, but thats easily forgiven since everybody hated him for it and treated him like shit.

He was originally, so relatable, in fact, that writers would self-insert into him, and that's the main reason why bitches love spider-man. So, in essence, blame the hacks who have "used up" his relatability.

Peter used to be. He got the reputation and that's the reputation people know him by, regardless of how the actual comic is
Just like Superman is the most iconic hero, regardless of whether he's the best seller or not

More like Pym is not as marketable so writters weren´t told to erase that part of his history. If antman was as popular as spiderman that slap would have never be mention outside of that panel.

That's more of a problem of writers who are "fans" coming in and self-inserting as Peter. Spidey books have always been a creative tug of war. Best example I can give is the lengths Michilenie and later DeMatteis went to try and make Mary Jane way more flawed and realistic while guys like McFarlane wanted to make her the hottest kinkiest super wife ever.

PAD street hero stories are great.
Hulk/Venom is still one of the best Venom stories ever.

I think the term you are looking for is “self insert”

>Why people claim the Spiderman is more "relatable" than other heroes?

Because at one point it was the Ditko comic

This user knows what's up.

why isn't venom calling himself we?

>saw it got decent reviews on some random website
Here's the lesson to be learned, don't trust comic review sites, reviewers usually are either shills or have have extremely low standards. Spiderverse is garbage through and through and is in no way representative of what the character is like (not like Slott even understands how to write actual characters)

He's a fuck up.

Good catch. I guess PAD forgot. I actually think it's the only time he's written Venom (Besides 2099) to be fair.

Because most of the people who care about superheroes are 15 year olds.

Oh please, they did make him Charlie Brown. Just in the most superficial way humanly possible, ie, a butt of all jokes.

isn't a clone at this moment ?

but she's going to move away and never be a problem for peter again. the situation fixed itself and now the runway is even clear for peter to bang MJ in the sequel. We are never going to see or give a shit about Liz Allen ever again, and neither will Peter Parker. His superhero life created a problem, and plot magic resolved it without his input.

compare the raimi films, where in Spider-Man 2 the entire MJ plot happened the way it did as a result of the decision Peter made at the end of the first film. Peter made a decision, and the sequel was him dealing with the consequences of that. They didn't just write MJ out.

If I remember correctly, the turnaround in the script was obscenely tight, so no time for an editor. It was also early in Venom' s history so PAD likely only had a secondhand notion of the character.

He thinks he's a clone.
Turns out that was the real Peter.
His wife had a miscarriage shortly after.

WHHHOOPS

He used to be.

Then he got the girl. It was all downhill from there.

Because a lot more people have been bitten by spiders than had their parents killed, came from another planet, were a super-genius, or found a magic ring from space

>And people say Superman is unrelatable...
Casuals say that. Read a damn comic.

But Peter's parents were super spies who Red Skull personally had assassinated. This has been a thing since the 60's.

>Peter's parents were killed for being super-spies
>His symbiont came from another planet
>Peter is super-smart
He only needs a magic ring.

Close enough.