Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/ScottyLobdell/status/760010010894082048
bleedingcool.com/2017/10/07/marvel-comics-avengers-panel-nycc/
comicsbeat.com/nycc-17-retailer-outrage-at-the-marvel-retailer-panel/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Damn that was a subtle roast

Buncha bigots

too bad the only person who audibly complained was a literal bigot

I really liked the part when they tried to get rid of the "#1" for one shots.

I mean, it's not wrong, but why bring it up now?

This. The moment one person goes on the sexist/racist tirade, the whole critique falls apart. It's like how Hot Diggity went on a rant that the new PPG show took away tits instead of mentioning how the character's personalities were nurtured.

>nurtured

This is a comment on the linked article about the Q&A

>As far as Iceman, Marvel wanted him to come out as gay decades ago, but the Comic Code Authority had a ban on gay representation in the comics.

Anyone have any proof of this? Because the last story I remember that focused on Bobby other than him becoming gay was how much he wanted to fuck a chick and Northstar wanted to fuck Bobby but he had to acknowledge Bobby wasn't gay.

Granted there was a long while I stopped reading X-men so maybe he was super secret gay inbetween.

Even if they wanted to say that he's been gay this whole time he doesn't have a Solo book because he's Iceman and everyone loves Iceman. It's because he's gay now and they wanted a gay title.

its bullshit

Iceman last mini was him trying to reconnect with one of his ex because she had a child and he didnt know if the child was his.

Lobdell, who wrote Bobby for years in the 90s, roasted Bendis over the retcon twitter.com/ScottyLobdell/status/760010010894082048
If there had been any plans, surely he'd know about them.

>>As far as Iceman, Marvel wanted him to come out as gay decades ago, but the Comic Code Authority had a ban on gay representation in the comics.
What? Pied Piper was gay and he was a prominent character in Wally's stint as The Flash before Johns took over.

According to Rich Johnson. Literally no one else has said that, they just repeated what the Leech said or dismissed the alligations entirely.

How does he even know?
That panel was only for retailers.

>>Alonso explained that the premise of "Legacy" was to delve into Marvel's past and find classic story elements to explore in new ways.

Literally saying they're looking for shit to rehash

>twitter.com/ScottyLobdell/status/760010010894082048
>Original tweet deleted

I figured the person was talking out of their ass but I didn't want to bother asking them for proof because it turns into fangirl level assertions about "longing glances" and innuendo.

I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for whatever disaster today holds in store for Marvel. Any predictions?

Avengers Legacy panel, someone might pull some shit there. Mark Waid is gonna be there no? Maybe he and the D&C guy will duke it out.

THE original tweet was asking Lobdell when he was gonna write Jason as "gay and Latino" (or something like that) since that's what fangirls think Jason Todd is

It's a very, very twisted truth. There used to be an inside joke among some of the writers that Iceman was gay, so they'd sometimes slip it in subtly. It was always just for shits and giggles, since he was straight any other time. I remember some comic in 00s even cracking a joke about it, where someone went "wait, but I thought you were..." and Bobby couldn't understand how anyone could come to that conclusion.

Do you think they'll had out more money to convince people to buy Legacy?

Good on Lobdell. Never listen to tumblr batfags.

>Those responses
I want to die.

In the comments section Brian Hibbs (who runs two comic shops) just said this:

>Looking at Diamond’s site on 10/6 at 11:07 AM PST only two of the eight “first week” books have no stock at Diamond — SPIRITS OF VENGEANCE and IRON FIST. The rest are all available for reorder right now.

That was Chuck Austen, who appeared to be trying to kill the "is Iceman gay?" 'fan' theory by having Northstar state that Bobby obviously wasn't gay. Austen also explained Bobby's series of failed relationships by explaining that he never got over Polaris leaving him for Havok back when they were teenagers, and he was still in love with her.

For all of the deserved criticism Austen got, all of this made more sense than Iceman being a secret gay and lying in his own thought-balloons for decades.

>As far as Iceman, Marvel wanted him to come out as gay decades ago, but the Comic Code Authority had a ban on gay representation in the comics.
So somehow the CCA prevented Marvel from turning Bobby gay for the 14 years between Marvel officially dropped the CCA and Jean "helped him realize" how much he liked penis?

Sure.

Because Iron Fist is actually a decent book. Only Marlel book I read rite naow.

Yeah, I'm not buying that either. The Code was mostly impotent by the 90's.

The real reason that I could believe is the worry about outcry back in the 90's, like when Northstar came out of the closet. I remember Peter David saying that back when that happened, a toy retailer threatened to boycott X-Men products.

was this convention held in Australia?
also good to see people making fun of SJW Marvel in their face now

Iceman was used as a gay allegory on the first Xmen movie, when he "came out" to his family about being a mutant.

I honestly believe this is where the "Lets make Iceman gay" idea comes from.

No, it was in New York

They're definitely pissed off at how Marvel handled things the last two years.

That was a funny scene, but not even Bryan "boys" Singer wanted Bobby to be gay. He had him make out with Rogue in that same movie.

CCA hasn't been a thing for decades
what was the excuse then?

>At the outset, this is about as straight up the middle Captain America book we can make. This IS your father’s Captain America

– Tom Breevoort.

He just can't help being a condescending prick, can he? No, he's not "my father's" Captain America. He's just Captain America.

And even then there was always the Ultimate line for a chance to test it and they made Colossus gay instead and had Iceman mess with Rogue and Kitty.

It screams bullshit.

Midnighter and Apollo had a fucking gay wedding in 2000
Hasn't marvel been off the CCA for like 15 years?

Surprisingly decent, yeah. I honestly wasn't expecting that.

Whatever he says, you will complain regardless, no?

Brevoort almost always says retarded shit

I might be remembering incorrectly, but I don't remember the CCA seal on WS books, or on any other Image books.

Which is why he should be fired. I'd hate for Sana to be promoted to EiC except for the complete destruction of Brevoorts dreams. If only I could be there to hear his whimpers at the realization that he'd wasted his entire life.

None of the Image books ever used the CCA. Neither did Valiant or other indie companies during the 90's. I think the only ones that used the CCA were Marvel, DC, Archie, and I think maybe Bongo.

>he should be fired because he triggers me

Fanboys lol

If he even said what a certain Marvel defending outlet claims, the complaint is that these comics DOESN'T SELL.

The person allegedly making these claims is a retailer, as long as shit sells he doesn't give a shit if it's all SJW/gay/minority, but when Marvel practically goes all in on SJW/gay/minority and it doesn't sell and retailers start losing money, then yes, they give a shit, because it's their livelyhood on the line.

Shills lol

He should be killed. You too.

Whoa, why me? I'm not the one ruining the racial purity of your waifus.

>someone said something mean and should die for it
Go back to your Antifa forums

Absolute bullshit, the CCA hasnt meant squat since the 80s and DC has had openly gay characters since at least the 90s.

Kekeke, I'm just doing it for (You)s dumb dumbs. But seriously, fuck Brevoort forever.

Who's talking about firing? Brevoort is not the problem at Marvel, he's just an attack dog doing Alonso and Ike's dirty work on the front lines. I actually think his autistic devotion could be put to good use under better management.

You're right, I mixed up DC censoring Millar/Quietly with the CCA

>Which is why he should be fired.
via @95853030

Doubtful, Brevoort may be the only person left within Marvel who actually has any knowledge of the characters and their history, but he never seems to have good taste in what he likes and dislikes, plus he's as big a part of the "make fans angry = sales" problem as anyone else.

Wtf. You have to go back.

There are a couple of scenes in the 1990s comics with Bobby and his bigoted dad that were similar allegories.

Some people were too retarded to understand that this was an allegory and didn't mean that Bobby was actually gay. Add the X-Men's gay fanbase, desperate for representation, and it all snowballed from there.

>Doesn't know darkposting
(you)s are cancer

Dumb phoneposter

>95853718
Ohhhhhh, I get it. And specifically after I said that's all I wanted. Interdasting.

I agree with the outrage shit but I think that goes away under someone like Didio for example. What do you mean about his taste?

Sounds like complete bullshit. North Star was outed as a faggot in 1992 with comics code stamp and all.

Elemental Lad kinda came out as bisexual in the late eighties/early nineties because DC revealed that his girlfriend was actually a guy who took a drug (or had a disease?) that made him a girl and Elemental Lad said that he didn't really care either way. Which seems like more of a risky move than just having a gay character.

Meanwhile when Iceman gets a non-fixed friend:

bleedingcool.com/2017/10/07/marvel-comics-avengers-panel-nycc/

>Quesada started by asking the room who had not been to a Cup o’ Joe before, and was surprised to find a good few hands raise into the air. He then described the general structure. He joked about how they are here to ruin the industry and the fans childhoods, to which an audience member piped up that they are doing a good job.

>He joked about how they are here to ruin the industry and the fans childhoods, to which an audience member piped up that they are doing a good job.
This NYCC is the best Marvel-related product in many years.

That was a cutaway gag on Family Guy once

I checked the comments section of comicsbeat.com/nycc-17-retailer-outrage-at-the-marvel-retailer-panel/ and sure enough the person who claimed that got corrected by someone else.

>There was a Family Guy Cutaway once
I mean...it's Family Guy.

I'm assuming a Cup o' Joe is some kind of American thing that everyone there knows about?

A cup of that dirty water Americans call "coffee."

>Cup o' Joe

Is slang for a cup of coffee and apparently has some podcast or some shit called cup o' joe.

Cup O' Joe means a cup of coffee.

And in this case it's also a pun since it refers to Joe Quesada (he called his column Cup O' Joe)

Sounds like it time to send a strongly worded letter to our comrade Quesada to tell him that not all of us can identify with that white male capitalist American talk and that he should cancel himself.

> Soule said the point of Astonishing X-Men is the resurrection of Charles Xavier. However, Soule said he wants to give the Marvel Universe a Charles Xavier different than the one we’ve seen before.

Looking forward to hearing how he grew back the brain chunk Red Skull carved out. I think this probably means "he's Charley but he has no mutant powers any more and just as conveniently now has amnesia of all the shitty things he was retconned to have done."

He will be even more of an asshole?

>>As far as Iceman, Marvel wanted him to come out as gay decades ago, but the Comic Code Authority had a ban on gay representation in the comics.

Marvel dropped the CCA in 2001. It's almost been a couple of decades and Iceman is only just now gay. It's a complete lie.

When is the next Marvel panel?

To be fair, it's not Marvel saying that but some commentor in the comments section. Unless it's some shill for Marvel I don't think it's something Marvel actually said.

IIRC, they're having some stuff tomorrow. Joe Quesda Q&A for sure

>retailer panel is a disaster
>collab announcement is a disaster that sparks such outrage its cancelled immediately

What will be the cherry on Marvel's shit sundae?

Get ready for Riri Xavier.

Don't forget how the Punisher panel was canceled, then the collab announcement happened

See Using Stan Lee as a prop to deflect criticism.

Everything he says just makes it clear he doesn't give a crap about fans' complaints. He says everything with a wink, with the subtext: "You're making me say this you pathetic, uneducated worm." He shouldn't be making jokes about how he and Spencer ruined Cap. They did ruin Cap, and Brevoort is at the helm as Marvel goes down the shitter. That's all him, and it really isn't funny to comics fans. A little respect, please, Brevoort.

For all Singer's faults with the pedophilia and whatnot, he's a much better storyteller than Benis.

>They did ruin Cap

Lmao Characterfags

CCA allowed gay characters since before Giant-Size X-Men even debuted.

Plus Iceman was ALWAYS the "raging heterosexual" of the X-Men. He was ALWAYS the "ladies' man" on the team.

>He joked about how they are here to ruin the industry and the fans childhoods, to which an audience member piped up that they are doing a good job.

lmao shits not flying like it used to

>He was ALWAYS the "ladies' man" on the team.

Not quite. He got cucked by Havok and had shit luck. He LIKED the ladies, but he had the bad luck of the team with it.

Except Marvel, as others have suggested and accused them of, would most likely LOVE to crash the entire industry.

They have Disney to keep them afloat no matter what, plus would love to kill off the comic shops nation-wide, so they can go digital/bookstore only, where they can force people to buy blind and further push their agenda

Who fucking cares? If the books aren't selling, they aren't selling. Also i don't know anything about the guy but I'd bet money the bigot allegation are bullshit.

Marjorie Liu wrote an arc where depressed Apocalypse-seed possessed Iceman gathered up all his ex-girlfriends (Lorna, Opal, Nurse Annie, Mystique, Kitty) to save them from the the ice age he was bringing and that's a pretty impressive list. Then she had the gall to say that she was really writing him as being in the closet.

Brevoort sold his soul in 2004 when he put Bendis on Avengers, after Quesada threatened to fire him after a couple of major backfires:

1. Pushing a Hawkeye solo book that flopped HARD

2. Forcing Geoff Johns (who Marvel was trying to steal from DC at the time) to ragequit Marvel and become DC 4 Life because Quesada and Jemas were demanding Geoff abandon his entire writing style in order to be a literal rip-off of Bendis, complete with forcing Geoff to pad out his issues as far as writing for the trades ala Bendis.

3. The disastrous Chuck Austin Avengers run, which pretty much derailed the sales for the Avengers book.

4. The disastrous Marvel Knights reboot of Captain America and the PR nightmare where they hired Christopher Priest (at the height of his fame following Black Panther) to write a Cap/Falcon book only for Tom to basically tell Priest to STFU and write dialogue for artists Tom hired that Priest wanted nothing to do with. Which combined with Brevoort stabbing Priest in the back by putting Brubaker on a main Cap book (which Priest would have to be subservient to), along with letting Bendis fuck up Wanda (who Priest had plans for) and telling him his only option going forward was to write a Falcon ongoing (which he refused to do), drove Priest into retirement for nearly a decade.

>As far as Iceman, Marvel wanted him to come out as gay decades ago
Ah, the good old "I meant to do that all along" excuse.

That's bullshit and you know it. Tom never had a soul.

They were not allegories.

Lobdell outright had Bobby dating an Asian and his dad basically losing his mind because "no race mixing" and him legit being on the verge of disowning Bobby because he fucked an Asian.

Which made him standing up to Graymond Creed a big deal, since while a complete and total bigot who was against white men dating outside their race, Bobby's dad would cut a bitch that made bigoted remarks against mutants, since mutants>minorities.

> plus would love to kill off the comic shops nation-wide, so they can go libgen.io only
good business model