Could have made a nostalgia filled self aware Bionicle film that could have attract a very large audience

>could have made a nostalgia filled self aware Bionicle film that could have attract a very large audience

>instead we got a film about one of they’re latest toy lines that probably only attracted kids and die hards

Would you have seen a LEGO Bionicle movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VoFulqXIF7o
youtube.com/watch?v=l-0FZA5NKH8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

user, Lego doesn't care about Bionicle. Not anymore at least. It's too far removed from "normal" Lego bricks.

No. They wouldnt have done it justice.

No OP, Bionicle doesn't work in the self-aware format the WB movies do.

Besides, is right, Lego doesn't give two shits about it anymore, heck, the reboot failed miserably.

How would you do a Bionicle movie Sup Forums?

A Bionicle movie made today wouldnt work
The setting and terminology is too complicated and normies couldn't emotionally connect with the cast since they're behind masks.
The last Mata Nui movie had fans loving the toy accurate masks buy everyone else saw it as getting in the way of having characters emote facially.
G2 tried to simplify everything and that failed as well

Bionicle fizzled out in popularity after a long period of time after a large amount of successful movies/comics/video games. But thats because it was so versatile and everybody liked anything Bionacle for as long as they were old enough for Legos, then they moved on. Sure everyone loves and remembers it but theres a reason the line ended just like any other Lego line. Ninjago is already 6 years old and still going so the highschool audience probably has some nostalgia for it. Also a Batman parody with Legos appeals to pretty much everyone. Bionicle is a currently dead franchise with nothing to sell or market unless they want to try to bring back the toy line again.

Nohow because it'd be better as a series. I'd make an animated mini series (say 10 eps long) aimed at older fans but newbies could easily jump in as well. It would be a streamlined adaptation of the '01 plot, atmospheric and dark, but not edgy like how the later parts of the story were. The visual style would be more lore-accurate instead of being faithful to the Lego toys, but the characters would be more recognizable than in the Miramax films. It would combine the events of the online game, the comics, the book and the canceled PC game. Start out from Takua's POV as an audience surrogate, then gradually introduce the Toa and shift to their arcs.
Hire Nathan Furst for the score and have him mix the Mata Nui Online Game's themes into his own compositions.

If that's too ambitious, I'd do a long direct-to-video or Netflix exclusive animated movie, or perhaps a duology, that's a total reboot. Style and music would be the same, but the plot would be compressed, focusing solely on the Toa, and Mata Nui would awaken at the end.

Like this.

To be fair Ninjago was always more profitable than Bionicle ever was. It's a golden cashcow, while all Bionicle has to show for itself in recent years is a failed reboot. Also, it always had the stigma of "not muh legos", which would drive normies away. Or worse, they might think it's a ripoff of something like Transformers or Power Rangers movies.
The Ninjago movie, though I haven't seen it, sounds like a twofold misfire. First, it didn't attract enough interest despite being more familiar to people than Bionicle. Second, it doesn't follow the cartoon which was one of the main things that launched the line into success. It's a loose adaptation slapped onto the world and vaguely to the style of The Lego Movie, and it has actual humans in it, which Bionicle always avoided. Taking the same approach to Bionicle would be the most clean-cut act of rape ever committed.

So my intelligent conclusion is, if they made a Bonkle film aping The Lego Movie, the only ones to care would be the fans, and even they'd hate it.

One of the things I think the movies that we DID get really missed is the whole... biological machine angle of it. The idea of this pacific islander culture of robots set the "ancient/futuristic" contrast up to 100, and just looked like nothing else anyone had seen.

youtube.com/watch?v=VoFulqXIF7o Something like this is probably what i'd go with, turning the WTF dial all the way up.

But the movies had these really cool looking toys which had a crazy attention to detail in their design, with pistons and diode-looking shit, but then animated them with these squishy 3D mesh designs. I realize how expensive it would have been to animate 2 dozen Bayformers-like robots for 90 minutes, but it really removes a lot of the tone of the franchise when the movie designs are snarky simplified action figures.

Another thing I dislike is how little anybody in the movies cared about the mysteries involving them. One of the biggest staples of the series is that the main characters knew nothing about the worlds they're dropped into, and the villagers seem to have lost most of their knowledge as well. The comics eventually explained most everything, but you never really saw any of the characters anywhere really putting the pieces together, or anything resembling closure for any one character.

I do think the video games did Bionicle the best justice. If there could have ever been a proper open-world mystery game tackling some of the weirder and more obscure parts of that universe I think it would have been the best conclusion for the series. Like Skyrim meets Myst. That's what I'd want most of all

They already did FOUR BIONICLE movies, user.

The fourth one was trash but the first three were all right for fans. The main limitation was the budget making the animation painful to watch, but there's a lot of clear effort being put in to try to make something decent.

My favorite was Legends of Metru Nui, but then 2004 was my favorite story year in general.

BIONICLE is over. It's done. It had a good, long run, and it finished. Remember it with dignity. Don't dig up its corpse and parade it around.

>BIONICLE is over. It's done. It had a good, long run, and it finished. Remember it with dignity. Don't dig up its corpse and parade it around.
A lot of people are frustrated because the series' full potential was never realized and so are still craving more, hence all the AUs and attempts at fanmade reboots.

Since this is a Sup Forums Bionicle thread I'm gonna shill the project that me and a few others are working on, a spiritual successor to Bionicle that will eventually take the form of a comic.

Afterman is an attempt by fans of Bionicle at creating a universe inspired by Bionicle, but legally distinct from it.

Bionicle deserves to have a nuanced, richly-layered story…but we can’t rely on Lego to do that. Not anymore.
It’s time for the people who truly care about the series to take it into our own hands and make the stories we want to see.

Check out the blog at project-afterman.tumblr.com

I really wouldn't be surprised if there's eventually a 2000s nostalgia boom in 15-20 years and Lego tries another reboot to cash in on it.

This sounds like shit, but shit made from the heart. The kind of shit I could get into if I plug up my nose.

If you like nuance and a richly layered story, I recommend playing this.

>could have attract a very large audience
lol

Trips confirm it
youtube.com/watch?v=l-0FZA5NKH8

BIONICLE sits pretty squarely in the realm of "too weird to live, too rare to die." The astonishingly detailed lore was both its particular main appeal AND what kept it from being able to break out of its niche.

It'll never happen again (LEGO has moved on to the self-aware-but-wholesome ethos exemplified by The LEGO Movie; that wouldn't work for BIONICLE because it's already so out-there that it can't make jokes at its own expense; the amount of suspension-of-disbelief it requires is too fragile,) but it'll never be truly forgotten.

My own BIONICLE-ignited imaginings rapidly diverged from canon to go full space-opera and frankly I myself prefer where I went to anything another reboot or continuation would do. Hey, I got mine!

You sound like a BZPfag

So how does this Ninjago movie relate to the Lego movie and Lego Batman? Lego Batman seemed mostly self contained but they did mention master builders and I think the whole endless abyss beneath Gotham was a reference to the playset being on a table. Also that one shot of Emmet falling.

Does Ninjago happen in the same basement or what?

I appreciate the effort they put into redesigning the characters given the limitations of time, budget and technology, but I'd love to see what more they could do without those restrictions. The second Bionicle movie was originally supposed to be a full-blown theatrical release, yet it ended up with the most rushed and sloppy CGI out of all.
But yeah, I kinda agree with , it's too risky of a concept to work as a high budget movie. It definitely has some sensory appeal, meaning that if they could do a big budget film that's faithful to the original design philosophy, the grand scenery, the mystical tone and all that shit, the pure audio-visual experience would probably be enough to draw people in. But the story and lore, and the lack of humans, and the long wait required to build up the mysteries, that would alienate them.
But I'd love to see at least a short film. Just a small vignette with unfiltered style and atmosphere, like a longer, less rushed version of the 2007 mini movies.