X-Men General!

Hi guys, thanks for the fun friendly thread yesterday - Have a update on the potential Storm ongoing - cbr.com/ta-nehisi-coates-marvel-storm/
I am personally down with that if he keeps BLM & American politics out of it like he did in his first arc on the Black Panther Ongoing.
Never heard of the artist but this cover looks good.

Other urls found in this thread:

comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=393692
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I hope this time Storm fights cultural appropriation. Or maybe body shaming.

>Coates
Hopefully it will be more entertaining than his Black Panther, which is fine whenever he's not wasting time on the midnight angels, the most boring and uninteresting characters in the whole book.

Stop calling it a general you cancerous fuck. Just call it an X-thread

Liam Sharp working on a Storm series would be amazing but not worth the risk of him being pulled into Marvel's current pit of self destruction.
comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=393692

You get to chose one AND ONLY one X-Kid to become a mainstay for the X-men and not just be used only as wallpaper filler.

Who do you choose?

>General

For fucks sake just make a thread when you want to talk about Xmen

how is the current ongoing Generation X book?

Longshot is the best X-Men but I'd chose Chamber

Cute, Strain understand the personalities of the characters but the artwork hurt it because sometimes is mediocre and sometimes is just plain bad.

oh so sucks and I want to love it more than anything
I've probably sent a few dozen letters over the years asking Marvel to relaunch it and they give it to a first time writer and she assembles literately the worst kids imaginable drawn by someone who has never seen faces before

Have the current books stopped being shit yet?

TNC nad Jen Bartel is a fucking unbelievable dream team

I'm pretty sure he's DC exclusive anyway, though I guess those deals are expiring soon

too bad there's only one good generation of X-kids

I see that's an old piece. I hope they're a better artist now because that's awful.

I'm not impressed. I want to like it because I like the writer as a person, but the art is often awful and so far it hasn't grabbed me. It's also got a strong case of half the cast is gay because that's how we do now.

All my faves are dead.

>I hope they're a better artist now because that's awful.
That was the only Storm image by him I could find but yes he is a really damn good artist currently.

It's the best possible thing we could get: some of the newer generation of mutants Marvel has created circa Aaron and Bendis, anchored by Jubilee and Quentin Quires, with Chamber as a guest star and M as a main villain.

People shit on Quentin, but he's got far more personality than the characters introduced/created by Lobdell for the original Gen X series. And he's a decent foil for Jubilee, who's now back in the X-Fold and having to become a teacher.

In Claremonts ideal universe Scott is in Alaska with Maddie, Inferno never happened, Jean is dead, and Rachel is Phoenix. He had the "Tessa is a spy for Xavier" plan since at least '91 when he was plotting out the buildup to #300. Oh I'm not saying it's bad and reading what Claremont originally wanted it makes sense. Shadow King is behind Mystique being a terrorist having driven her insane. Shadow King is fueling anti-mutant hysteria and trying to drive the world towards the DoFP timeline and you get to Uncanny #300 and the X-Men and their enemies unite to drive him off in what would've been a more proper way to (probably) end Claremont's run.

I love Quentin but no one has really done him right since Morrison slash credibly done a character arc to make him not a villainous shit.

And Gambit is the Shadow King in a younger body, hiding from Mr. Sinister.

Shadow King didn't drive Mystique insane; he simply held a HUGE HUGE fucking grudge against her for Destiny/Mystique rescuing a timelost Kitty and Rachel from Shadow King in True Friends #1-2.

It's spelt out in UXM #265 when he brainwashed Val Cooper/charged her with killing Mystique. For all of his hiding behind the scenes, Destiny would suss him out in a heartbeat via her future telling powers if he tried to kill Mystique. He had to wait until Destiny was dead to get his revenge on her and even then, he took a huge risk that Destiny would not have left Mystique a detailed note telling her Shadow King was going to send Val to kill her/how to break his tenuous hold on Val and get her to kill herself/allow Mystique to impersonate her to get close to the Shadow King to stop him.

Nope; all wrong.

Gambit was Mr Sinister, doing a send-up of Terra from Teen Titans, hiding from Magneto, not Shadow King after something BAD happened in original planned version of Days of Future Present that causes Magneto to gather all of the evil mutants of the world together to basically fight it out with Mags and each other, to see who would be the king of the evil mutants in charge of everyone.

Sinister would be in hiding because he's secretly a 50 year old man stuck in a ten year old boy's body and he had developed a crush on Storm (like all Claremont Villains) while posing as Mr Sinister.

Speaking of Morrison and Quentin, did any future writer ever resolved the dangling plot point of Quentin's true parentage?

Right before he turned energy being at the end of Riot At Xaviers, Quentin goes into a trance like state where he sees the future: mainly the fact that the reason his parents were not his biological parents, was due to him being sent into the past by his real parents and that he wasn't even born yet.

Morrison also implied that Quentin might be a Summer; the male child, the anti-Cable that Jean and Scott would have had if Jean had not died, who would have followed his mom's footsteps and become Phoenix.

Did they ever say who Quentin's parents are or was the whole thing dropped and never brought up?

The identity of Quentin's biological parents identity has never been touched upon period, by any writer.

If he had to be anyone's kid, I would like him to have been a hypothetical younger brother to Nathan/Cable that Maddie and Scott would have had, if Jean had not come back to fuck up things. Which would explain his comment to Jean about "letting everything burn" rather than change things to allow Scott/Emma to get together.

Sadly, when given a chance to do that, Claremont fucked up hugely with X-Men Forever.

It was a perfect storm of failure and AIDS: Claremont killing off Wolverine rather than going with his plan to have Logan accept that he was getting older and accept he was no longer "the best at what he did"; the bullshit he pulled with Storm a clone/traitor and bringing back another kid Storm, pretending Cable never existed/X-Factor #65-68 never happened, having 2/3rds of the team outright vanish and yet going out of his way to bring Kitty and Kurt back to the team (and having Rogue inadvertedly stealing Kurt's power); not to mention zero reference to the Shadow King coming back or his plans for the Hellfire Club and Gateway.

Here's some more Sharp

Can I choose which ones I want to die instead? I hate all of the x-kids who have debuted in the last twenty years.

This guy knows what's up.

Can we all agree that Storm is the greatest minority character on comics?

No
> Kate Kane / Batwoman > Black Panther > Storm

Surge too, my yellow fever

Kate Kane is white m8

>Kate Kane

White Woman doesn't count, I guess...

She's a gay jew

but original Batwoman wasn't, right? I mean, Storm is the beloved black woman, one of the leaders of the x-men and easily top 10 most iconic female character since late 70s, while poor Batwoman was tossed away in favor of Babs

Art is shit. Writing is only so-so.

You know for something as progressive as X-men. Early X-men were rife with shitty stereotypes.

You had Piotr screaming about the great white wolf and shit.

Thunderbird's main abilitiy being durable and tracking. Basically his entire characteristic is being a native american, but really really hard.

Sunfire is a japanese who can wield atomic fire... so much wrong with that.

Banshee lived in a fucking Scottish castle and leprechauns. You can't make this shit up.

Then there is Storm who for some reason scream goddess every now and then (did we even know what goddess she worships?) but the worst offender is that she simply didn't know the concept of nudity.... An african person parading around naked didn't know the concept of nudity. It's so backwards and fucked. I mean you can argue there are african tribes around that are still like that but keep in mind Storm was born in New York and then raised as a child in motherfucking Cairo.

Both places that do not support nudity. Her mum is Kenyan but there is no kenyan culture that actually supports nudity.

Early Claremont X-men was fucked up.

When will she be back?

>Storm was born in New York and then raised as a child in motherfucking Cairo.

She also acted as a real life goddess to some dumb african villagers.... Her origin story is all over the place. Is this the reason why she doesn't have notable stories X-fags?

No reason to bring her back. A better story for her character would be like how they treated Jean when she died. Follow up on how her mother is dealing with her death. Follow up on what kind of revenge her father is planning etc..

who cooks in the X mansion? in any given run the mansion hosts from 8 to 30 people, and some of them eat like athletes.

Claremont had good intention and these characters developed enough personality to the point were these traits, while still important, aren't what defines them

She worships the bright lady, who it turns out is Oshtur.

>Sunfire is a japanese who can wield atomic fire... so much wrong with that.
Hell, when they made the Big Hero Six, they mention the atomic bomb in their team description. I really don't get why comic book writers are so fucking obsessed to say Japan was nuked. Even the Wolverine started with Hiroshima.

>Sunfire is a japanese who can wield atomic fire... so much wrong with that.

This was back before the X-gene explanation so all mutants were caused by radiation

>Shiro Yoshida was born to a mother who suffered radiation poisoning due to exposure to the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima, Japan.

Duude the big two is rife with this dumb bullshit.

There is a girl superhero from Ireland who can summon the ghost of her ancestors... Sounds cool right? Except those ghosts only alter probability to make her lucky... her name? Shamrock!

Or lets talk about a black sidekick to John Walkers Captain America being called Bucky...it was so offensive that Dwayne Mcduffie refused to believe it wasn't done on purpose until Shooter calmed him down.

Then there is the german hero who had to change his name to Vormund because the original had NAZI connotations.

Its funny to note that all of these were created by Grunewald, who by all accounts according to even Mcduffie wasn't racist but really clueless. The guy loved including diversity but approached it the way your racist grandpa would.

Don't even get me started on Alpha Flight. You have a tiny indestructible dwarf who can bounce around? Lets name him after a shitty hockey puck. The less said about Talisman and native-canadians the better.

Also quick whats the first thing pops up in your head when you mention Russia. Was it polar bears and Chernobyl? GREAT! One russian hero can become a fucking bear and other got their powers from radiation in the chernobyl disaster. Meanwhile 40 other Russian characters have ice powers. So fucking creative.

And the less said about DC the better. Just look at all the dumb diversity token heroes Superfriends created because DC comics lacked any actual minority heroes decades into marvel heroes like Falcon, Goliath, Black Panther etc.

Hell one Legion of Superheroes editor colored any black person white in the background. Turned Ferro Lad white when he was meant to be black and then wrote the reason there were no black people in the future is they all segregated into a continent that shifts into another dimmension every few decades or so,

Their champions is Tyroc the most offensive shirtless black guy ever created.

Or lets talk about DC trying to create their first official black superhero. I shit you not their first idea was to create a racist KKK member getting the power to turn into a super powered black adult. Kinda like a racist shazam. Both white and black forms had their own social life and girlfriends they lived with.

it was fucking ridiculous. Thankfully one of the writers put his foot down and quicky sketched black lighting in order to avoid any form of bad press that would make current marvel look like jesus.

>Or lets talk about a black sidekick to John Walkers Captain America being called Bucky
I don't follow

>Turned Ferro Lad white when he was meant to be black and then wrote the reason there were no black people in the future is they all segregated into a continent that shifts into another dimmension every few decades or so,

This. Any other answer that's not Pixie is objectively wrong.

Its not racist to call a white guy bucky but it is to call a black dude.

To understand context we need to go way back when African-Americans were, for years, caricatured as being buck-toothed, and this was apparently spun off into a new slur, "buck", as a dimunitive of that, referring more specifically to young black men.

Leave it to racists to kinda ruin everything in life.

eh, people loved to have sterotypes in their stories at that time. Banshee was scottish and people loved the crazy things the X books did, so why not throw in fucking unicorns.

Thunderbird was very sterotypical but Dani became a Valkyrie. Is that race swapping in a way? I don't care.

The point of the X-men was to bring these different cultures together and have them work together. So having native american stooped in white culture wouldn't accomplish the point of the book. Sure, some of the sterotypes are bad, but that's maybe more our perspective looking back.

And Storm's god complex is why she became a nudist. She, at the very least, felt like she was an avatar of the divinity of nature. It's wasn't about being Kenyan.

The Guthries

>Hell one Legion of Superheroes editor colored any black person white in the background. Turned Ferro Lad white when he was meant to be black and then wrote the reason there were no black people in the future is they all segregated into a continent that shifts into another dimmension every few decades or so,
holy shit

That one where Lois Lane turned black was REALLY bad too.

was it wrong for Wolverine always to be thrown, and more so for Puck? Probably. I like the stupid Canadian sterotypes though, cause of course we have a Yeti superhero. But even moreso, I love how Marvel turned the Canadian sterotype on it's head and made us an insane military complex country.

That Black Panther x Storm shit is coming back?

Sunrise was created back when mutants were meant to have been caused by nuclear radiation, and was specifically empowered by the US bombings. His first appearances saw him used in a revenge plot against the US for it, even. He was Hiroshima and Nagasaki coming back at the US in the form of a pissed off young man being duped byou his uncle.

>Storm is the beloved black woman, one of the leaders of the x-men and easily top 10 most iconic female character since late 70s
And yet Batwoman Elegy is better then any single arc in X-Men history.

Go home JHWIII, I love your stuff, but it's not better than all X-men stories. And you wish you were as groundbreaking as Bill Sienkiewicz

Who do you think?

little kai anne

Jetson's future. Unfortunately, the only solution to racism is a ultimate globalized human race merge

>And yet Batwoman Elegy is better then any single arc in X-Men history.
What's it like to be so wrong?

Anybody read LifeDeath III?