So what's going to happen when the comic book division is making NO money...

So what's going to happen when the comic book division is making NO money? Will Disney bite the bullet and shut them down, or subsidize them 100% with profits from the films?

Other urls found in this thread:

comichron.com/yearlycomicssales.html
comichron.com/vitalstatistics/marketsharesyearly.html
data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl),
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why would Disney care about them not making money?

Shut everything down and license more things out to IDW

shut down all the printing presses, fire 3/4's of the staff, go full digital and subsidize with profits from the films
and yet Bendis will still somehow get put back on Avengers

He'll always stay attached to Marvel, like a leech on a a bear. He knows that DC'll never put up with his shit. Hell, even IDW and Image wouldn't take him in. Marvel's all he's got, and somehow he's gotten into favor with everyone there.

The great thing about making tons of money is you can afford to spend small amounts of it

Image might. He used to be published there, remember?

Disney has infinite money, they could run Marvel comics as they do now with 0 profit just for the sake of testing possible movie scripts for decades. They kinda so it already, as you can see, all the bullshit they pushed all the this year doesn't matter because only successful shit went to movies/series. So expect a Ms Marvel Kamala movie but don't worry about America Chavez

Considering marvel movies make billions without even trying I'm gonna assume the latter. Just because the comics don't make money doesn't mean they're losing that much

Complete replacment of all staff.

I like this looking on the bright side idea.

I hope someone throws a suitcase full of unsold comics at Bendis' head.

because they're not making money. They didn't buy them to not making money.

How old are you?
Current Marvel comics division isn't even good as an IP and ideas farm. Besides, they have enough IPs to last them for decades, when this generations of actors gets older, whole MCU will get a reboot. They can retell those stories over and over, no need to keep rotting corpse of comic division alive.

Yeah, they're movies are tanking as hard as suicide squad

They didn't buy them for Marvel to make money. They bought them to make movies that earn a profit for themselves user. And I have no doubt with how "lean" the comics division is entirely self suffcient. They're not a drain of resources and thus in no way a detriment to Disney's success.

>to DC
Fixed. IDW has gone the Tumblr way too.

And the comics are a needless expense

Where did you get the idea that they are not making money, and that Disney bought them? It was a merge, meaning that Disney does not have any authority or power to shut the comics division off

Sure they don't.

Comics are source material. Fox wouldn't have had Old Man Logan if not for marvel and it's liberal agenda

user, Bendis is not Image's problem anymore. They don't have to shoot themselves in the leg by bringing him back in.

This.

/co in a nutshell

> burn marvel to the ground and close the comic division!
> all comic shops end up dying do to loss of the market leader. all indy's go out of business bc they don't draw people into the stores, the big 2 do. DC no longer profitable and dies out as well
> no more comics except for shitty web comics
> /co is happy?

Learn how to type properly before posting again.

There are enough good old comics in the world worth reading.
When people stop doing something for money, there will always be people left doing it out of passion and make things worth sharing.

This isn't how you green text at all.

I currently work at a comic book store and we barely sell anything Marvel. We don't even bother ordering new shipments anymore because they just sat in the storage for months accumulating dust.

Marvel is so stale nowadays..

You got any solid arguments or are you just shitposting?

>Will Disney bite the bullet and shut them down
this is probably the realistic outcome

>implying someone else wouldn't take marvel's place
>implying disney wouldn't just license out to publishers like IDW
>implying marvel is actually keeping things afloat

nice try intern

Proof?

I never understood the idea that if Marvel stopped publishing, comic shops and the industry would go bust, surely it would simply result in a boost in sales for DC, Image, IDW etc... and comic shops would stay afloat on meager profit margins like they've been doing for years.

low sales

Most comic shops have marvel as ethier half or around 30% of all their comic book sales. Losing 30% overnight is not good. However nearly all LCS also sell TCG, funko pops, and comic merchandise to augment the money they bring in via comic sales. They may just stop being comic book shops and focus on that instead.
I believe he meant profd of you working at a comic book store.

Fire the whole staff and rebuild. Disney is smart enough to know all their good heroes, villains and stories come from a comic. Even if it makes zero dollars it more than makes up for it from multiple billion dollar movies.

comichron.com/yearlycomicssales.html

comichron.com/vitalstatistics/marketsharesyearly.html

What are you talking about, user? Inflation-adjusted Direct Market comic sales have increased by 18% since 2010 (419m in 2010 dollars is 474m 2017 dollars. data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl), and Marvel's share of that growing pie has increased over the last few years.

It's DC that's losing market share.

This whole post reads like it was read off a script.

No, I just spent five minutes looking stuff up and then sourced my assertions instead of just talking out of my ass.

Marvel is an IP farm
As long as they have new ideas for shows and movies Disney doesn't care. Comics as a whole were a billion dollar industry last year but that's every publisher, every format comics are available in, and I think every comic not distributed by diamond. The big two are small pieces of a pie compared to that.

user if marvel suddenly went out of business comic shops would lose a large chunk of sales and would not be able to pay bills

There's a reason why they try and sell not comic things and try to just be nerd places. Comics are unreliable.

>when
That isn't going to happen and you have no awareness of business or history if you honestly believe that.

They didn't buy them for this tiny niche market, user. They bought them for the mountain of IPs and highly lucrative movies that came with them. Their incentive for keeping the comics around has nothing to do with making money and everything to do with creating more new IPs and expanding their already existing IPs for more material to turn into cartoons, movies, toys and merch.

The comics don't have to make money, they just have to break even. Worst case scenario, Ike just fires some more editors.

You got any solid arguments or are you just shilling?

In 2016 and 2017 the red Marvel line takes a nosedive.

That's solely off of diamond which doesn't say anything about a lcs.

Disney should just sack the current staff, murder Ike in his sleep, and rebuild them into a monster simply meant to crush DC. Pay writers enough to be willing to write for them, adopt the Japanese "assistant" system for the art so that they can publish 40-page comics per month, slash all the prices so that they're less than half as cheap as a DC book. Once DC has finally disappeared, they can return their prices to normal.

Is /more/ better? To me as a "I don't read superhero comics" person, there are so many superhero comics, I wouldn't know where to begin if I wanted to, and none of them seem to stand out in any way. Manga's appeal is it's gore, most of it appeals to teens, there are "shocking twists" and "big reveals", and shounen stories are neatly divided into arcs.

I don't think manga's appeal is its gore; it's simply the self-contained storytelling that anyone can pick up, and the clarity of the paneling.

Do you have a source for this?

>a monster simply meant to crush DC
What the fuck do you think Marvel was from the beginning?

Once DC has finally disappeared, the industry dies. One big publisher cannot hold the whole industry, that's why retailers want Marvel to sell well again.

It baffles me that the big two don't make black and white comics that cost the same but are significantly longer.

Disney shut down Playdom even though they had the #1 Facebook game of all time.

>what is overshipping
>what is variant incentive ordering
>what are higher prices per individual unit
Marvel's market share is an illusion that only exists on paper. Diamond numbers don't mean shit given how well known Marvel's scummy sales practices to artificially inflate their numbers to fool their Disney overlords/stockholders is.

The actual number of books making it into the hands of paying readers is a far cry from what Diamond ships to an LCS.

Do you have any sources for the claim?

A simple google search will hit you with a slew of articles about all of it. Marvel's overshipping is no secret and has been pissing off retailers, which is one of the reasons why their retailers panel blew up at NYCC.

You should already know this unless you're new.

Marvel is smart. Why doesn't DC do this?

DChads don't know how computers work.

Either way it's going to be some random decision from the top. If you think it's going to be a big heated discussion at Disney HQ, it isn't. It's going to depend on something like whether or not some Disney exec only had a teaspoon left of his favorite breakfast cereal that morning, or if s/he spilled a drop of coffee on the car seat on the drive in, or if the coffee was too hot. They're going to be in a certain state of mind when they hear
>"Hey actually Marvel comics, like, the actual comics? They're actually in the red now, a-and there's this huge kerfuffle on the internet about editors and--"
At that point some random exec is just going to say "Shut it down" and that'll be that, or else they'll say "You mean comics like where the movies came from? I don't care. Subsidize it."

Disney shut down a video game division because even though it was profitable, it wasn't profitable "enough". And video games have a much higher profit ceiling than a line of print comics.

>go full digital
I can see them doing this, but only with like a dozen titles, which will barely sell to anyone.
Everyone will perceive the end of Marvel print comics as the end of Marvel Comics. Marvel PR will be like "Hey! No! We got Kelly Sue DeConnick to come back and do a bi-weekly Captain Marvel comic! 10 pages for only $1.99 a pop! Get excited, guys!" and no one will care. They will spin it really hard as "our entertainment has naturally evolved into a different media form."

>testing possible movie scripts for decades. ... So expect a Ms Marvel Kamala movie
Um no, I've thought this before too but the logic falls apart once you realize that actually Marvel Comics has actually FAILED in this testing ground. There are no new marketable characters post-Deadpool (est. 1991). X-23 on her own isn't marketable. Kamala Khan does not have mass appeal. Do you really expect Disney to look at Moon Girl and think "7000 sales per month. WOW MOON GIRL FILM IN PHASE 5"?

Because there is such a thing as ethics in business, and if you follow them it will make people more willing to work with you. Also, there's only so many times you can piss people off before they either just abandon you or actively try to fuck you over.

>There are no new marketable characters post-Deadpool (est. 1991).
Jessica Jones got a tv show.

So did the Inhumans. Your point?

Disney already licenses all kids comics to IDW, even Big Hero 6 and Star Wars Adventures.

Yes, when the alternative is keeping alive an atrocious industry which has turned malignant, it is better to have it destroyed. You look at how bad Marvel is, the people and the comics, and it's worth nuking them even if it takes out the rest of the industry (which isn't great anymore anyway).

>There are enough good old comics in the world worth reading.
Exactly. Does anyone really need new Spider-Man comics? Does anyone really need an entire lifetime of new Spider-Man comics coming out every week? I just look at the back catalogue and say "I'm good with this." Just dip into the catalog and read what's good from now on. There's a fuck ton we haven't read that's better than anything new they could make. The alternative is to have another decade of shitty Dan Slott comics making fans bored and pissed off. There are no more good Spidey stories to be told, and the crew in charge is shit.

>As long as they have new ideas for shows and movies Disney doesn't care
The problem is that Marvel hasn't had a viable "new idea" in nearly 30 years. And it isn't like they have to keep publishing Squirrel Girl in order to be able to make new Avengers movies. That's not how this works.

Besides, Disney doesn't like to be remotely connected to failure. If Marvel Comics becomes a joke (which it is fast becoming) due to their poor sales, bad rapport with fans, and editorial incompetence, then Disney will be more likely to shut it down. This is the same company that put their home video releases in "the vault" from time to time, just to build up scarcity and demand, even when they could have just made money keeping Peter Pan, Dumbo, etc. available all the time. But Disney wants their brand and everything connected to it to be thought of as highly desirable triple-A-class entertainment product. If they have a division that's floundering, they are either going to want to fix it, or cut it lose so it isn't around anymore to drag morale and spirit down.

She had a successful tv show.

>the usual Jessica Jones episode:
>Jessica drinking
>Jessica having a hangover
>the annoying neighbors being annoying
>the junkie neighbor being a junkie
>Killgrave being the baddie in the shadows
>Luke Cage being very disquietingly erotic
>JJ's irritating friend being irritating
>Carrie Ann Moss making butchy dyke faces
>rinse and repeat
Yeah, sucessful.

I didn't like it either, but it's a fact that it was well-received by a lot of people.

>Carrie Ann Moss making butchy dyke faces

That scene where she tried to finger her secretary was good.

>So did the Inhumans. Your point?
she's a new character post-Deadpool who's marketable. your defense?

Then why the shilling?

>marketable
What were her superpowers again?

Because it means
>>There are no new marketable characters post-Deadpool (est. 1991).
isn't accurate.

>there is such a thing as ethics in business
You have to be 18 to post here, kiddo.

Disney can be fucking ruthless. And execs hate Ike, so I can see some really heavy shit coming Marvel's way when common sense kicks in.

Look at it this way: we hoist up the supposition that Marvel's true value to Disney is in their IP's and how it brings in the dough through multimedia. Okay, makes sense. It's logical business at play, because Disney is all about mixing and matching their properties to sell products.

Except Disney has it all right now, every fucking profitable character made thus far. Spider-Man, Captain America, Thor... all of it. The "value" of Marvel Comics can now only be demonstrably applied when they create -NEW- profitable IP's. If the shitball new characters that they create now can't be applied to multimedia in a way that generates profits, then what the fuck good are they?

The ONLY thing that is keeping Marvel Comics alive today is the fact that it's viewed as a cultural institution and some sort of sacred being whose closure would bring too much negative PR. But people don't give a shit about floppies anymore, and the superhero bubble will eventually deflate (though not fully burst, I imagine), and the SJW harpies will see it losing it's trend value and move on to other things. And at that point, Marvel Comics are fucking toast. I can see them turning all of it into a skeleton crew operation, completely digital, and with less than two dozen titles, within a decade.

>Marvel's market share is an illusion that only exists on paper.
Sure, sure, Chad.

And Spider-Man was totally a flop that in no way ate Diana's lunch.

I mean: DC will just HAVE to get that #1 spot on Diamond's sales charts ( that you totally don't check every single month and post multiple threads about on the rare occasions that they happen to scrape a lead post-reboot before they inevitably slide back into second place and you go back to angrily insisting that actual numbers don't mean anything because reasons ) realsoonnow, right? RIGHT?

Because you've only been predicting how Marvel's sales are going to ( or, more recently ALREADY HAVE ) crash(ed) for, what? 4 years now? Longer?

You remind me of my Gramma who keeps insisting that Jesus is coming SOON while the rest of us just roll our eyes at how oblivious she is to the last 2000+ years of that not happening.

So were you paid to make that post or what?

>I got nuffin
>better scream about shills!
Kek!

>I got nuffin

You sure don't, shill.

>If the shitball new characters that they create now can't be applied to multimedia in a way that generates profits, then what the fuck good are they?

Sales say nobody likes them, so yeah marvel is fucked, Marvel will become an undead IP holder to create merchandise, they shoot themselves in the foot by adding new characters nobody liked.

>Will Disney bite the bullet and shut them down, or subsidize them 100% with profits from the films?

A little of both. They'll subsidize Marvel, but downsize it significantly. Perlmutter probably gets his ass booted out the door in the process, leading to Trump complaining about how Disney fired one of his closest friends.

>Perlmutter probably gets his ass booted out the door in the process
We could only wish, but Perlmutter owns too much of Disney to ever get the boot entirely. We're talking about someone that was offered a seat on Disney's Board of Directors. The best we could hope for is that he gets pulled out of Marvel Entertainment and moved somewhere else.