/hyw/ - How's Your Webcomic? #412

Let this be the last NO Edition

Welcome to yet another thread of How's Your Webcomic?, where we see that we felt asleep for a whole day.

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
discord.gg/rXMbdqP
youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics
victusthemage.com/
boysland.thewebcomic.com/archive/#ch_102375
capeworldcomics.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag
Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
calligraphr.com

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/ (surprisingly not a typo)

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on:
discord.gg/rXMbdqP

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics

At least let us survive until we deliver for the new HYW challenge!

>MAIN THEME: Ink Adventures
>SECONDARY THEME: (choose one to play around alongside the main theme!)
-Tits
-Brewing
-Theatricality
>DEADLINE: October 15

Remember that you can play with the theme as you see fit, we want to see how creative you can get!

it's good to take a day off once in a while

Finished a page yesterday. still managing to use up a few more gags from my notepad document of gags to use.
I swear this technique used to make much better lightning

Can't decide if I want this to be colored or not. I feel like it will take time that I don't have if I color every page

I would at least give it some flat grays so it doesnt all blend together into a mass of white

finished up our first page yesterday, uploaded it on tapas and webtoons. i'm questioning wether i worry too much about the rate at wich we're getting views and such, but such is life i guess

hmm, that might actually work.
I'm thinking shading it Aogami style could make it more appealing. And maybe I can play with minimum colors to help with the mood.

That was going to be my other suggestion but that's a little more work
i love that we're calling it aogami style but that's exactly whom I was thinking of

I don't think its as much work, but thats just me.

if it works why change it?

Colour the first chapter, and last chapter but leave the rest black and white? Or release them all black and white, but slowly release new coloured versions?
For the record, I prefer black and white-black and white. Colouring in stuff grey looks ugly, I would only do it for dark scenes.

just curious, can you show us a pure black and white comic you think looks good? I'm wondering if it has further shading using black so it's not just a mass of white and then outlines

Made in abyss looks fine. Scott MClouds comics about comics books are nice and easy to parse. If you google Moomin illustrations, they always seem to look quite whimsical, I've never read Moomin though.

I think one thing to consider is, that you're supposed to, (you don't have to of course though) group your shadows together, per page, per panel or just a single object within a panel. You can also use texture or screen tones to make black and white look okay, like just texture the whole thing, or add texture to specific parts to draw the eye where you want it. Or add "texture" on the line work instead.

I'd sware there was a comic or two with a specific "black and white art style" I was thinking about, which just had sharp black lines, and then everything was just flatly coloured with shades of grey to distinguish shapes, I don't remember any names. Anyway, I hate that artstyle.

>Made a gag strip
>Didn't like it so I didn't put my name on it
>Posted it online anyway
>People loved it
>It gets stolen and reposted all over

Well fuck... could have gotten my name out there.
What's the best way to credit yourself? Sign the bottom right corner with my twitter handle or something? It's the same as my name. I just wanna get my foot in the door, and this feels like a missed opportunity

it seems like the simplest and most effective way to go, yeah

well now I'm just confused, but I still think grayscale looks nicer than pure black and white. But the latter can work as long as you do a heavy amount of filling in with black and using various hatching and other shading methods
yeah gotta sign your shit. if you're scared, make it very faint.
you can still prove that one's yours if anyone disputes it, if you have the original fullsize or something (you could even re-release it in a larger size with signature on) but I understand that isn't the real problem, the problem is you missed out

Got a domain and host for my comic. Now to design it to be more than a black screen victusthemage.com/ Also here's a WIP

ganbare!
that steed is wonderfully disturbing

check out my 5th grade concepting of it

Design isn't perfected yet. And I fucked up on his legs a bit. But what do you guys think?

He's Death except also a cyborg. He's basically pissed at all the cyborgs in the future essentially avoiding death by upgrading themselves and he cybernetically modified himself to put a stop to it.

i like the design and the idea behind it, but i think you could play a little more with the "cyber" part, more than a few marks on his skull.

shit that's creative and well-anatomized for a 5th grader

That is the 90sest thing I've ever heard, and I love it. I love his pointy eye sockets and cheekbones and his strong jaw.
the circuit patterns are A) a little modern, being the usb symbol, and B) a little subtle, looking like veins or mold. I would give him bigger markings but only on one side (asymmetry is radicool!)
and i HOPE you're going to consider red glowing pupils

Thanks, dude.

The story is gonna be an homage to a lot of dark sci fi movies from the '80s and will be purposely edgy. He's got a cyber scythe he kinda pulls outta hammerspace and tons of guns and shit.

>hammerspace
or from inside his ribcage. it'd have room for a folded-up cyberscythe as long as the blade is made of glowy special effects and doesn't take up space when deactivated

>asymmetry is radicool
That's actually a great idea. Thanks.
>consider red glowing pupils
And I was torn between red, blue, and green. I'll eventually make some more art and post it and see what everyone thinks.

>or from inside his ribcage
No room. Laser gatling gun in there. Kind of a reference to Stroheim. And I plan on lampshading the whole hammer space thing. He never sticks his hand into a portal but always behind something. Even if it's just a back.

I would say red when he's in hunter mode because all this kind of nostalgic cyber stuff was made at a time when red was the only color of LED you could make. blue again modernizes it, since we only just finally perfected blue LEDs
green though could be for when he absorbs souls or something. a sickly green soul glow is classic

oh yes, this has GNARLY tattooed right on it

>I would say red when he's in hunter mode because all this kind of nostalgic cyber stuff was made at a time when red was the only color of LED you could make. blue again modernizes it, since we only just finally perfected blue LEDs
>green though could be for when he absorbs souls or something. a sickly green soul glow is classic
Shit. These are great ideas. Thanks, dude.

Glad you like it.

this is what makes it all worth it

I think it depend a lot on how much time you're willing to wait between updates.

Colors ad 2-3 extra days of work for me. I'm OK with releasing 1 page per week, but many feel that's too slow.
If you wish to keep your comic in Black & White, I suggest you look up Manga or comics like Bone, Usagi Yojimbo, or ElfQuest for how to full up empty space.

BTW, that looks real cute, keep it up

STOP MAKING THESE THREADS!

I'm going to be able to upload the final part this Saturday. Last part is big and I don't feel like splitting it up again. Maybe next Wednesday.

Make me!

Oh dog, I un-learned how to draw cat. But at least I'm now better with the fox.

Halloween JE-NL

Hey I'm trying to design a giant 30 foot tall severed alien head to lead a bunch of freaky space cultists. The third design is the best one, right?

I think the cat looks better than the fox at the moment

Fff
yeah I hear that. sometimes I don't want to split up a big long important one, though lately I've been finding good stopping-points
yes, but they're all pretty good. Please tell me its name will be a reference to Zardoz in some way

I like the eyes of the second one and the teeth of the third one.

Having lots of eyes and lots of teeth would be cluttered though.

I like the first one tßh, its roundness makes it look the most believably like a head.

As funny as that would be it's supposed to be more giger-esque than anything, not sure on a name yet but his followers are called villithists.

In the finished design it will be organically fused to a wall inside the ribcage of a giant celestial skeleton fossil. Ideally it's design would be something like a 90s video game boss since they often used that bio-mechanical style and the whole comic has that kind of dated 90s sci-fi motiv.

Here's some pictures of what I used for inspiration.

Thanks but I don't think I'm going to make another design, just choose one of these since I've been fumbling with the design too long already. I also feel like that would be too many features on the face to be able to read properly like what said

God I loved those 90s designs.

not if they're eye teeth

Stop posting in threads that you hate, its making you hate yourself, user.

O hi, long time not see.

I have an idea for a comic called Desert Boi, which is about a young wanderer that lives in a desert mexican city, and has little misadventures that go from buying a burito to fighting prophecy gods and returning to status quo by the end of the chapter

I'd read it. Sounds almost like it'd be a Pilli Adventure prequel

Hi, user!

I'm still kinda busy with university. But for Inktober I'm trying to double my weekly panels.

Wait... is that inktober flashmob happens absolutely everywhere?

Well, it's been a thing now for a couple of years, but yes.

Im such a noob.

Why is that?

I really thought that inktober is a new one-time flashmob in Russia.

Another thing of Cyber Death

Tell me more.

More than ?

He kills immortal cyborgs because he doesn't like the idea of immortality.

I'm not feeling my comics anymore
I am ready to upgrade my art style, add color, and maybe more storyline.
And frames, can't forget frames.

well that's good, because you have plot and humor down

Man don't fuck me up like that
thanks
I'm downing it hard
my career as a game designer isn't working so well
this is the only thing i am good at or so I think
and /hyw/ is way nicer than most threads on 4ch
you guys always compliment me
idk if you're being nice or not
but it really knows how to bring a dude's spirits up when he feels like shit

Funny as shit, dude.

Well, that's the nice way of saying that you ONLY have plot and humor down (and expression) so you need to work on the rest... so it's good you're starting out by saying you plan to.

I do need to work on coloring

Sending out a signal boost
boysland.thewebcomic.com/archive/#ch_102375

I feel like I learned a lot from the last arc we worked on. We started out alright but then there was a dip in the middle that we slowly recovered from.

I feel like this new arc is going to be strong throughout. So I hope anyone reading will enjoy and anticipate some good shit

Fantastic, top-tier joke mate

I feel so sorry for the girl.

lol Don't feel too bad, she kinda has it comin'

Which water mage looks better.

No, she will not be in West Tree, this is for a different project.

>Which water mage looks better.
Devo crab hat mag

top one is better, bottom one is a lot more interesting. I like the belt and the hat isn't a terrible idea either if you just learn how to draw a spiral shell properly. They're pretty hard, but you can do it I think. Also just for the record, only hermit crabs live inside shells like that, those are snail shells.

I like top one better. It's cuter.

Maybe if the shell layers on the bottom was more rounded it might look better but I still think I'd think the top was cuter.

here's an idea of how I might draw this

I like this the best.

So... like this?

get this lesbo shit outta here

now you're on the trolley

did a sketch for warm-up, like the design dude

I'm so proud of our little community
I never noticed before just how much a conch shell looks like a coiled up shit

that's the joke?

Just like ice cream does!

Ok, I just had the best idea and made them twin sisters!

there thing is, is that one uses fresh water magic and the other uses salt water magic, and even though there is little difference in there powers, they still squabble over it.

Thanks dudes!

Yknow, I was gonna say why not both but I thought pff that's stupid
glad you read my mind
>freshwater vs saltwater
i love that. reminsd me of bill n' ted's marriage proposals

>they still squabble over it.
That's good. I find squabbling and bickering incredibly endearing.

decided to go with colored version

it's positively lovely. had you said you were this good at coloring I would never have given you any advice on how to black and white, I would have insisted you stick with this. Look at those shadows on the rocks... all those pretty sunbeams...
I do, however, think that the pale blue wings give off kind of a "transparent housefly wings" vibe, and the veining pattern doesn't help.

Hey thanks man.
It isn't that hard to do it its just labour intensive. The erase tool and knowing how to balance the opacity gives it that extra level of detail. I still think it could look better but I am just gonna move on with the rest of the comic while its still fresh on my head.

Also the butterfly is of least importance so I'll just leave it like that and keep going

yeah man, prioritize.

bumpititity bumpy

Does anybody here do webnovels? Any sort of writing?

Not sure if I posted last week's page, but here it is.
capeworldcomics.com/

As always questions and comments are extremely welcomed.

I've done quite a bit on my site. Capeworld is text stories + comic stories.

Been reading this, why feel sorry for her? She's not very nice.

if you aren't gonna color it you should at least shade it

nice. looking forward to it