July 15th incident in The Gifted

>I lost my daughter in the July 15th incident. She was seven years old. Her name was Grace. People talk about the X-Men, they talk about the Brotherhood. Here's the thing: I'm never gonna know if the blast of energy that killed my kid came from a good mutant or a bad mutant. And guess what: I don't care.

I really like this series. It really focuses on the ground-level, away from X-Men, Brotherhood, Mutant Liberation Front, and all the big leaguers. It focuses on the plight of everyday mutants who aren't costumed villains or heroes AND everyday mutants caught in the middle.

Say your family was accidentally killed by an energy blast during the mysterious July 15th incident, would you be nuanced enough to say, "We can't persecute all mutants for the actions of a select few?" or would you treat it like the Sentinels agent?

>You know your husband was trying to send my girlfriend to prison, right? >He was following the law.
>Has he prosecuted mutants? Yes, but...
>But some of his best friends are mutants?
>Try his children.
>That's exactly my point.Tell me this if it wasn't your kids in that gym, would you be standing up for them? Would your husband?

This incident is a parallel to the July 15th incident. What if the students at the dance had gotten seriously injured or evil killed? I sympathize with the son being bullied which caused his powers to get unleashed unintentionally. But what if one of the injured or dead kids is one of your own? Remember the intro flashback at the bowling alley where the daughter gets heckled and harassed to the point her powers manifested? What if it had gotten worse and the whole place came down or caught a point-blank blast to the face?

This continuity is interesting because they don't outright put mutants into detention camps and subject them to experimentation (at least not openly) so there's a modicum of restraint between dealing with mutant powers manifesting and the gonzo blitzkrieg that humans treat mutants in the comics.

MIF. Come on Show. Add a L. Mutant Liberation League Front.

I think it's interesting that being a mutant isn't illegal, it's manifesting the powers in public that is.

By now some start-up should've designed a bracelet or something that a mutant can wear that has similar properties to the Mutant Inhibitor Collar that Lorna and other mutant prisoners have on. They'd make a fortune and it prevents mutant powers from going off by accident. Everyone wins.

I think if I was that dad in the bowling alley, I'd be plenty pissed off at those assholes that were ripping on my daughter. It's shit like this that makes me sometimes wish mutants would just takeover and give flatscans a taste of their own medicine for a while.

I think between that speech and trucks being cut in half because Blink got sick I'm more anti mutant than I've ever been in 25 years of reading X-Men comics and watching X-Men shows

It isn't a power turned off Collar. It is keep zapping you until you quit collar.

Also it needs to detect a whole host of different powers. And discern between which ones are always on and the ones they trigger. Too expensive for anybody other then a goverment.

The thing I don't get is. Where are the collaboraters? I'm sure there are going to be patriotic mutants, including a few that are quite high up. Why isn't there a goverment run task force Of Mutants to take down threats both Mutant and conventional. Maybe even a hellfire club in the shadows

Marvel civilians are brain dead.
>Hey, let's harass that person that could potentially kill us, that's funny! What could go wrong?

>It is keep zapping you until you quit collar.

How could something like this even work on most mutants? Someone with super strength just needs to endure a second or two of pain to rip it off. Someone like Lorna should be able to fry it. Someone like Colossus becomes functionally immune to that kind of damage when their powers kick in. A teleporter can presumably just teleport out of the collar, same goes for people with phasing and the like.

There are so many powers that should render this sort of thing useless.

Theoretically the Collar Lorna is wearing has conductive components, she could just mess with its internals.

Or, since she's got the magneto powerset, why can't she just channel that charge around her to a safe discharge with her electromagnetic powers?

Because we're witnessing mutant incidents through the eyes of civilians and not spandex-wearing paramilitaries.

Realistically, there really isn't a way for mutants to coexist amongst humans unless the government and society view them as valued resources for national defense and train them as super-soldiers.

Ever see The 4400? It presents the idea of super-powered beings and how society/government reacts to them. This and Heroes are glimpses into what a world like The Gifted deals with.

>The thing I don't get is. Where are the collaboraters? I'm sure there are going to be patriotic mutants, including a few that are quite high up. Why isn't there a goverment run task force Of Mutants to take down threats both Mutant and conventional. Maybe even a hellfire club in the shadows
They'll probably be revealed later this season or maybe next season. I agree that there's bound to be mutants who work as government operatives to stop and detain dangerous ones. Though I wonder if this universe has the Weapon Plus programs.

>hellfire club
Probably. I bet they're involved in the manufacture of those Sentinel units.

The bullies thought she just vibrated, they weren't aware that she could cause things to break. If they did, they wouldn't have dared to try that shit. Though I'm willing to bet there's humans who try to instigate shit with mutants so that they get injured and sue their families. Or do it to cause more hatred and paranoia towards them.

>This incident is a parallel to the July 15th incident. What if the students at the dance had gotten seriously injured or evil killed? I sympathize with the son being bullied which caused his powers to get unleashed unintentionally. But what if one of the injured or dead kids is one of your own? Remember the intro flashback at the bowling alley where the daughter gets heckled and harassed to the point her powers manifested? What if it had gotten worse and the whole place came down or caught a point-blank blast to the face?

Well, realistically, you shouldn't be able to prosecute for uncontrolled manifestation. If a kid if being bullied physically, and his powers pop off for the first time and harm/kill someone, the blame doesn't lie on the kid. In this instance the actual people being prosecuted over the incident should be the bullies, as they literally turned on his powers and ensured that they'd switch on in a violent way. Any death or injury falls squarely on their shoulders.

This is actually the interesting thing about mutant powers, the thing I think would be most beneficial. They theoretically should force humanity to reevaluate how we act as individuals and what things can be be condoned. It's no longer a harmless thing to bully someone; doing that can legit blow up a building. Companies and even countries could no longer screw people over en masse without one or two people with absolutely humongous powers deciding to take action against them. We could no longer risk letting kids grow up in harmful, psychologically damaging environments, or under a regime of insidious or plain poor education, as any one of those kids could one day be a worldbreaker. We'd be forced to clean up our act or be annihilated by our own inadequacies.

Or we could try to shove them all in camps and fail when anyone with real power shows up.

Maybe these are the initial sets and they're going to eventually graduate to actual inhibitors regardless of what your mutant power is.

Spinning truths user, spinning truths.

People don't want to change their attitude or self-reflect on the ramifications on their actions. Today's society is indulgent and entitled as fuck. Why should they get blamed when it's the damned mutie's fault? Personal responsibility is something that few if any people do today.

>They theoretically should force humanity to reevaluate how we act as individuals and what things can be be condoned. It's no longer a harmless thing to bully someone; doing that can legit blow up a building.
This is why I loved Chronicle. Because let's be honest Sup Forums, if any one of us had that kind of telekinesis in high school, we'd all do terrible things with it. Even pranks could get out of hand.

Imagine if Andrew was more subtle in the use of his powers against bullies? Like making it look like a car accident, falling down the stairs and breaking their neck, or any other means to avoid looking like foul play.

>Companies and even countries could no longer screw people over en masse without one or two people with absolutely humongous powers deciding to take action against them.
And that's why people become paranoid towards mutants because not only do they take vigilante action, they have the means to pull it off.

>We could no longer risk letting kids grow up in harmful, psychologically damaging environments, or under a regime of insidious or plain poor education, as any one of those kids could one day be a worldbreaker. We'd be forced to clean up our act or be annihilated by our own inadequacies.
Yeah, but all it takes is one accident or misuse and shit gets real. Stephen King's Firestarter addressed these concerns for Charlie and her parents. It's like living with a ticking timebomb when someone can fuck you and everyone else up with simply a wave of their hand or thinking about it.

>Or we could try to shove them all in camps and fail when anyone with real power shows up.
Are there internment camps for mutants in this universe? Or have they not done this yet because it's a hot button issue and Congress staves it off because it's a serious violation of human rights? Or is it because of the advent of the X-Men and Brotherhood that they don't this else it'd cause a clusterfuck of problems?

>People don't want to change their attitude or self-reflect on the ramifications on their actions.

Then they'll die.

If humans can't regulate themselves in a world with mutants they'll die. Simple as that. Eventually someone like Legion or, hell, even Magneto really, is going to appear, and crush all opposition to them effortlessly. If humans decide to pour all blame for their actions onto mutants the mutants WILL kill them, or possibly cause mutual extinction.

It's do or die. We either change our attitude or we die.

The majority doesn't want to conform to a minority. Even if said minority can create wormholes, cause tremors, change matter, etc.

Look at how people today bitch about "check your privilege" and how certain white demographics are pissed and outraged at what certain leftist circles propagate, thus creating a real shitslinging fest. And this is a world WITHOUT mutants.

Remember the black female inmate that beat the shit out of Lorna? Out there mutants have power, but inside prison, she does. I liked the fact that The Gifted didn't shy away from having a black woman oppress a mutant. Anyone can be a bigot regardless of color, sexual identity/orientation, religion, etc.

Nobody's gonna change their attitudes because it's "policing their thoughts" and that's the sort of shit that people can't stand. I agree that a high-level mutant will fuck their shit up, but that just adds more fuel to the fire for anti-mutant bigotry.

Hearing about Eclipse's past and how his parents drove him out of the house at age 13 makes me wonder if someone's been recruiting mutant kids on the streets for their own nefarious purposes. There's gotta be some mastermind that wants to exploit these frightened and abandoned kids to his own personal army.

Like a Fagin for Muties?

Yeah and his name is Charles Xavier

Couldn't resist, it was too easy

Yep. Think about it; there's this middle-aged mutant that takes you in, feeds and clothes you, gives you shelter, helps you train your powers, makes you feel proud that you're not a freak but a superior being, and has other kids your age to feel a sense of community and a family.

Said older mutant could either adopt these kids and runs a legitimate care home, but with less honorable intentions. Basically a twisted version of what Xavier could've been: running his own training camp for child-soldiers. Or a conman who treats his mutant kids as valued assets. They don't do petty robbery, but major heists so that it can bankroll the kids to live as well as future adoptees. Nobody gets hurt and the Fagin-esque father or mother figure says that they only do these heists because it's to provide for everyone (which it actually does instead of merely filling pockets).

Maybe they’re dampeners instead of inhibitors

Xavier is full of himself, but this isn't quite what I was getting at.

Xavier and Magneto are interested in recruitment to build-up their ranks for the upcoming war that mutants will face. The sort of character I'm getting to is a guy or girl who exploits mutants for financial gain as well as having a community of mutants at their beck and call. The Fagin character doesn't want anything grandiose like conquer the world or lead a super-team of heroes; rather they just want to ensure that their operation runs smoothly. There's dozens upon dozens of mutant kids who've grown up and have a good grasp of their powers. Kids get to eat, sleep, have proper medical/dental care, and go to school. Mutants who can't blend as normal people are tasked with special behind-the-scenes jobs that benefit everyone financially and are treated as members of the family.

Not sure. But for what we have seen from Polaris, she can use her powers. It just keeps zapping her. The first time she knocked herself out against the toilet. The second time she battered the black bitch into the fence with the table before the zapping and punches took her down.
Anyway I would actually like if Mutants were updated. Civil rights movement and exploitation, not endless race war. Mutants are conscripted by the existing nations for warfare and economic gains. Ones that escape the governments conscription are forced into organised crime or escaping to other nations. This is the A plot. The family gets split up. One gets conscripted. While another falls into crime.

Then there is the B plot. A presidential race. One is a civil rights for Mutants. While the other is basically gun control arguments, but for Mutants.

So Shadow King before Charles shut him down?

That sounds like something out of the Wildcard books. This is pretty much how the Sleeper started.

Kelly was right

>The majority doesn't want to conform to a minority.

Then, again, they'll die. That's the only outcome if people don't change. Mutants will kill them, not out of racial supremacy or anything, but simply because baseline humans will keep giving them reason to.

Like Creeper from HMQ? Creeper was an ominous motherfucker.

I hear so much about Wild Cards. Is it really worth the read?

I heard there are gonna be a few that work with the government in this show. And I think the zapping is because they are prisonees, usually there is inhibitor tech in X-Men stuff that simply dulls the powers but some people juat dont want to use them or they are not 100% reliable like I think some X-men have worn them but it would only work for a limited time or something like that. The zap is probably more efficient too because it only really activates when powers do otherwise it is in some sleep mode Im guessing. So a mutant could slowly drain it overnight if guards arent alerted each time someone tries to use powers.

Yeah cause when it comes to mutant stuff unlike with race and cultural differences you ONLY seen to see extremes so tou are either a filthy mutie lover or someone who shits on people who grew up with a power they never asked for. No one seems to be like "oh wow a mutant big deal" . Since everyone is either friend or full blown asshole it is understandable to want to see someone make them all shut the fuck up.

>The bullies thought she just vibrated, they weren't aware that she could cause things to break. If they did, they wouldn't have dared to try that shit. Though I'm willing to bet there's humans who try to instigate shit with mutants so that they get injured and sue their families. Or do it to cause more hatred and paranoia towards them.

I am sure they knew she had to have something besides "weirdly vibrate powers" and I know people would still try and attack cyclops after seeing him take on a sentinel just because. Probably saying "you think youre tough just because those stupid laser things come out your eyes? That just makes you a freak!"

I want to marry Lorna Dane

The 4400 and Heroes only had superhumans show up within a few years in the 2000's. The Gifted establishes that mutants have been in the news for decades. That's generations of people growing up with the idea of random individuals having powers and causing accidents with them.

The 4400 did a decent job depicting how everyday people reacted to them returning to the present day as well as their powers. In some ways, mutants need a Jordan Collier figure in their continuity.

It's a solid series about people getting abilities and transformation. I think it's better than A Song of Ice & Fire; GRRM's better known work.

what kind of fucked up prison is this, is she supposed to do her things in this angle, covered only by bars? Everyone will see her!

no toilet paper to wipe her poopie hole

girls don't poop retard

This is why the Israel option is the only one that makes sense for X-books. Trying to coexist with regular humans is going to fuck shit up either way. Either a mutant gets full of themselves and tries to lord over humans or humans will gang up on mutants as a threat.

>that shower scene

This show looks dumb. I only came here because my birthday is July 15th, and I wanted to see what this was all about.