What was his tax policy?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3Oe7Q8OCm5I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

He be taxing them asses all fiscal year long.

Keep taxes low to stimulate the economy.

Given that he lived in a Bronze-Iron Age society, probably largely Payment in Kind. Although given that the Aquilonian nobility that he conquered frequently plotted against him, there may have been punitive taxes in coin on them to reduce their ability to raise rebels.

He actually seems to be a rather competent leader given that so many people follow him in so many suicide missions and battles, and the fact that even when he tries to resign or give up position people want him to stay.
So I'm guessing his tax policy is balanced and thought out.

according to Robert E Howard, Aquilonia is supposed to be a counterpart of the Carolingian Empire, so what's his "style" if we use the same system than this early medieval kingdom?

Hes like Genghis Kahn, or something.

Some were pretending King Numedidès was better than him.

He need to defend his borders against Pictish tribes, he build walls on the Bossonian Marchs and Bossonians needs weapons (especially arrows and bows) to defend the borders more successfully, he probably produced massively that kind of weapons.

I can actually look that up. Give me a bit.

It's good to be the king.

Pay up or die.

Alright, I have here before me "The Hour of the Dragon" in which Conan, by now King of Aquilonia is dethroned by an acnient sorcerer and a posse of kings from surrounding kingdoms.

"Even the drop of dynastiv blood Valerius boasted had more hold on the minds of men than the memory of Conan and the freedom and power he had given the kingdom."

Later we hear Conan speak to a rich patrician in the countryside. We hear of Emilius scavonus, the richest of them all, who died for his loyalty to Conan.

"We submitted and Valerius spared our lives, though he levied a tax upon us that will ruin many."

It is noteworthy that this patrician Conan is a guest of is leading a lavish lifestyle.

After that we hear the tale of how the patrticians and common people alike refused to rally to the banner of a Count loyal to Conan, because they heard the King was dead and they feared instability of civil war without Conan.

"Hundreds who could not pay the ransom imposed upon them have been sold to Kothic slave-traders"

"Aye, white men sell white men and white women, as it was in the feudal days."

""Well", said Conan harshly, "is it not better to die honorably than to live in imfamy? Is death worse than oppression, slavery and ultimate destruction?"

This is from Chapter 11, "Swords of the South"

Conan is traveling on a rivere down south.

"This boat differed from the ordinary craft plying the broad Khorotas - fishermen and merchant barges loaded with rich goods."

"Only late at night, after the pleasure boats with their fair occupants lounging on silken cushions in the flare of torches held by slaves had left the river, before dawn brought the hurrying fisherboats, did the girl venture out."

"Conan swept off his helmet, and shaking back his black mane, stared full at the speaker. The Poitanian stared violently and went livid. "Saints of heaven!"" he gasped. "It is the king - alive!" The others stared wildly, then a roar of wonder and joy burst from them."

" But conditions are not as they were then, when all kingdoms were broken into principalities, which warred with each other. The days of dukedoms and free cities are past, the days of empires are upon us. Rulers are dreaming imperial dreams, and only in unity is their strength."

"Let others dream imperial dreams. I but wish to hold what is mine. I have no desire to rule an empire welded together by blood and fire. It's one thing to seize a throne with the aid of its subjects and rule them with their consent. It's another to subjugate a foreign realm and rule it by fear."

I think that's enough to make a reasonable guess at Conans tax policy.

He leads a strong central state that values the freedoms of its subjects and does not impose unnecessary taxes on them. Taxation is high enough that rich merchants and pleasure barks can safely travel while taxes are light enough that the common folk live well from their busy work as farmers or fishermen.
Conans policies are also open minded enough to allow prostitution and religious freedoms of small, exotic sects (not quoted here), while not allowing society to fall into "Anarcho-Capitalism" by banning slavery and aknowledging that centralisation and nation states are growing.

Better examples can be found in "The Scarlet Citadel".

"I found Aquilonia in the grip of a pig like you—one who traced his genealogy for a thousand years. The land was torn with the wars of the barons, and the people cried out under oppression and taxation. Today no Aquilonian noble dares maltreat the humblest of my subjects, and the taxes of the people are lighter than anywhere else in the world.

"What of you? Your brother, Amalrus, holds the eastern half of your kingdom, and defies you. And you, Strabonus, your soldiers are even now besieging castles of a dozen or more rebellious barons. The people of both your kingdoms are crushed into the earth by tyrannous taxes and levies. And you would loot mine—ha! Free my hands and I'll varnish this floor with your brains!"

Cheers, Conanon!

provide bitches, or lose riches

The Carolingans operated without nation structures. They had to -logistically- splinter up their taxation rights into many small sub divisions. The point of feudalism.
While there is some feudalism going in in Robert E. Howards writings, the societys aren't christian monotheistic ones. In many cultural regards they function more like the helenistic city states, Rome or even Egypt.

Is that the other time Conan was dethroned by surrounding kings?

I might as well ask in this thread.
Are there any comics like conan in the sense that they have a very sexualized old-era (could be from cave to medieval) fantasy setting, but with the protagonist being a sorcerer instead of a fighter?

There is a song.

youtube.com/watch?v=3Oe7Q8OCm5I

Elric is a swordmage, if that counts.