How come comic artists don't get better like manga artists do? They either stay the same or get lazy

How come comic artists don't get better like manga artists do? They either stay the same or get lazy

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zbJvHDdMb-8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>better
He peaked during the end of Steel Ball Run.

Steel ball run is great, but I think you're confusing worse character designs with worse drawings

They probably do, just no one's made a chart for them like they do with manga artists.

We do not speak of Berserk until the dark age of the infinite hiatus is over

Jojobronies need to delete themselves and their shitty threads.

Yeah like look at early Bill Sienkiewicz

vs even just New Mutants a few years later

Nah, for the most part, I actually like the designs from JoJolion more than Steel Ball Run, but something about the art is off, and I'm not quite sure what it is.

Sienkiewicz is amazing. Don't forget Stray Toasters.

On average, a manga artist will draw a fuckton more pages than a comic artist, giving them more time to improve.

And here are some Kirby pages

Cap in 1940

He does sort of draw non main characters really ugly now, also I think he drew faces too similar in SBR, he got one face down really well and drew it for most male characters

More weekly manga end up like Naruto, where the author learns how to simplify their art for faster drawing.

and Mr Miracle in 1971

Byrne at the start

and end of his X-Men

Someone post the one for the Rosario+Vampire mangaka, that guy's growth was always the most jarring for me.

You are bringing up vewy good points

Early John Romita Jr

when youre too high

and a page from his Suicide Squad this year

>He actually has the proportions of the tumbler tranny version of him
Well... that's odd.

Excuse the mobile posting but Rosario Vampire was my shit when I was a teenager.

I'm going to do a side by side volume comparison of the characters one of these days.

They do, but cape comics which what most people read tend to have rotating artist, and they also probably have less freedom so they can't afford to start experimenting in the middle of a run and change the book art-style.

What are you blathering about?

there was an even bigger one that showed moka and tsukune and another character how they were at the start and how it was towards the end.

Bluberry #1

Blueberry #7

I don't have that image, so I'll post them individually.

Tsukune in the one shot

>tfw the goddamn succubus was legitimately the most decent person out of the side girls
>and my waifu
Good times

Tsukune in the last volume

Moka in the one shot

Moka in the afterstory

Blueberry #11

Everyone always ever went on about mizore, but kurumu was by far without a doubt THE best girl in that entire manga.

I say that even full knowing my waifu is someone else entirely from that same manga.

I see you're both men of culture as well

Isnt that first one from John Romita Sr, not Jr?

A Matt Wagner spread when he began working on Grendel in 1983.

And a Matt Wagner spread on Grendel vs The Shadow, 2014.

I hope people post more comparisons so we can turn this shitty Sup Forums bait thread into something good

Blueberry #25

it's ASM 216, credits say Jr

Neil Adams then

And Now

well Batman Odyssey is a few years old now but you get the point

We make charts but only of the artists that have gotten worse.

Keith Giffen in Legion of Superheroes 1

I don't have it on me but it's fetish art.

and in Legion 61

Which artists? The pencillers, the inkers, or the colorists?

Most artists don't draw just one character for more than a couple decades. Jim Lee did get better over time though actually.

mid part 4 was thebest.

Mézières from Valerian and Laureline #1.

Valerian and Laureline #9.

Are you fucken kidding me
I dropped valerian at issue 4 or five years ago I can no believe that art got better

JRJr's style evolved more over the course of decades than just about anyone I can think of. His style in the 1970s was basically aping his father's, which isn't a bad place to start. In the 1980s he started experimenting, and by the 1990s was approaching what's become his signature look, though there were some significant 'growing pains' involved; fingers and facial features had taken on what at the time I considered a 'boxy' quality where everything was too rectangular. For a short while there as he was transitioning from one approach to another I actually considered his art uglier than that which he'd been doing ten years earlier. Pic related.

But by the time of his run on Amazing Spider-Man with JMS, his new style had matured into something really enjoyably dynamic, vivid and emotive, and that's more or less where it's come to rest since then.

Not to be contrarian or start shit, but does JRJR's art feel weird to anyone else? It's something about the way the fingers look so squared off, or an overuse of lines at some points? Is it just me?

I didn't care much from the early issues either, but from from issue six onward it becomes a great series.

>using the word "contrarian" unironically
Opinion discarded

Hey man, sometimes I just don't get interested in something because it's popular or I've only heard good things about it, I don't know why. I like Jack Kirby and Frank Miller art, I don't know any JRSR art, I like occasional weird stuff and I'm not a real stickler for things being on-model or realistic, I just don't care for JRJR and don't know why.

Dave Sim early Cerebus art.

He turned into Raiden?

Dave Sim late Cerebus art.

>fingers and facial features had taken on what at the time I considered a 'boxy' quality where everything was too rectangular.

> It's something about the way the fingers look so squared off

What a novel insight!

It's gotten better over the years; it was much more significant in the 1990s, but even now it's sort of a part of his style.

I don't really give a shit about JRjr, outside of some Daredevil he did I'm not a fan of him. But using the word "contrarian" unironically is retarded, no matter what point you're trying to make.

I think it's weird shit, but I've always been attracted to his style

Why is that, though?
>What a novel insight!
That was just something in particular that felt so weird to me, man.

its actually unusual for most manga artists to get drastic changes in their art styles in the way Araki and Toriyama does

but usually, art style changes happen because they change their reference and schedule (araki started by trying to be a copy of Fist of the North Star, then started using fashion magazines, and now uses roman/greek statues

lots of comic book artists have a consistent schedule, same with manga artists

but ones who get better or worse change scedules

Worth noting the backgrounds aren't by him.

JRJR himself describes his style as whatever makes the deadline. The less time he has, the wonkier the anatomy.

That incredibly insightful thank you

What do you guys think about Tom sciolis work

Starro? Alien demigod? Is any of this actually canon? I'm mostly a Marvel guy, and while I know about Green Arrow's origins in broad strokes, this doesn't sound familiar to me at all.

These both look fucking rad.
Added to my readlist.

Because they hire better interns... wait, did you think the "artist" made all that job? you did? that's sad

>thinking a single page comedy comic with swearing a psychadelics is GA's canon origin
You're not a "Marvel Guy" unless you mean the MCU casual.

Arakai have a disturbing sameface syndrome

They are in the first image. Gerhard didn't come on until 65

From the 90s

JrJr's best work

Could look at this stuff for hours

Araki hasn't gotten better since Part 3.
He just changes symbols and shortcuts. He learns to draw heads and eyes in different shapes and repeats himself over and over. His anatomy is still awful. His ability to compose a picture is too. His body language is really bad and he hides it behind pretending to be quirky.
Araki is a bad artist.

Only in late 7 and Part 8. Joseph looks like Jonathan, Jotaro etc because they're all directly related with strong as fuck genes. Joestars are tall, broad with dark hair and square jaws.

Nah his page composition is solid and he draws good fights. I agree with everything else, but I also fall for the quirky meme. He's got style out the ass almost no sequential artist ever has though.

A lot of people tend to forget his wrist is fucking broken. Presumably after Uncanny X-men. The way his style has developed isn't what he was in complete control of.
youtube.com/watch?v=zbJvHDdMb-8

Perez's first Avengers issue

and from the first issue of his run with Busiek

manga fans are such idiots, they have no idea how books are made.

Well, yeah that what I was talking about.
You can't even tell who's a girl and who's a boy.
Even part 3 have a lot of sameface

It's way worse on the covers than it is in the interiors. I think he has templates for the covers that he draws the details around personally, because he draws buffer characters in twink style as well on the covers, even if they're buff on the interior.

Really? Looks like buncha cylinders.

Now his Daredevil is the stuff. I love how many city shots Man Without Fear had.

Kek
What the fuck is this?

Let me clarify: Is this parody comic parodying actual elements from his origin? Is it playing up weird shit that's already there for comedic purposes, or are these elements purely inventions of this parody?

So Guts turned into Sylvester Stallone?

i think it's more of the artist's career (some mangas just last long enough that style from #1 is different from #325). like how people joke liefeld never learned to draw feet in his entire career.

Its the inking, SBR had very fine and smooth lines which gave it a better look, stone ocean and jojolion are much thicker lines which makes it look busier without adding much while SBR is better composed and the finer lines added details and depth. I dont think his lineart changed that much since SO but the style of inking certainly did and thats why SBR looks better.

And people still keep sucking arkai dick

Berserk art turned to shit years ago

Miura reusing panels

anyone got the before (early appearance) and after (son of ogre) of yujiro hanma doing an axe kick to baki?

Ok, I only recently started reading Jojo and on part 3 and I think Araki is an amazing artist who sometimes lays down on page incredible shit.

But he's absolutely everything people hate Rob Liefield for with his ridiculous anatomy and stylized look.

His fans definitely overrate him, but don't underrate him.

jojo's bizarre adventure