Question

Do you think art style matters?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_SplEuWp0Yw
youtube.com/watch?v=-WsZ2fUXbZg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If it's not random all over the place humor like Uncle Grandpa or Breadwinners then yes. If it's a cartoon that tries to be consistent with something then it has to be easy to look at.

writing matters more

Character design is the most important aspect of ANY media
A good character builds a franchise

that true

Yes

Even if it is just random humor it has to be easy to look at
Prime example; the problem solverz

To be fair, I couldn't keep my eyes off problem solvers when it first came on.

Yes, but mostly as a first impression. There have been a lot of shows, where I hated the art style and character design going into it; but partway through episode 1 I didn't mind it, and half way through season 1 I loved it. It's one of those things that really gets better with familiarity. This was my experience with OKKO, Phineas & Ferb, Clarence, and Gumball. I love all of their art-styles, even though I thought I would only tolerate them.

The biggest impact an art-style has for me is, does it make me want to watch episode 1, or avoid the series altogether. I went out of my way to watch Wakfu (even in French), Star vs Evil, Archer, and a few other shows, just because I saw some still images and loved the character designs. Their styles didn't have to "grow on me" because I loved them before even seeing episode 01.

Conversely, I still haven't watched Big Mouth, and maybe never will, no matter how good people tell me it is. It's not a matter of principal, I just feel zero motivation to watch it. Can't be bothered.

Its was mostly the background that ruined it for me.

I couldn't get past be cool scooby doo's family guy look so...yeah.

TO BE FAIR...

its the only reason i watch anything

it matters but waaaay down the list. Story is king

Best me too it this art style no hyperbole hurts my eyes. The colors are too fucking bright and clashing

Absolutely. Half the shit that airs now I would have had no interest as a child because its all fucking hideous. I would have been one bored as fuck kid if I born in recent years.

cartoons are a visual medium. If the visuals aren't appealing, the creators have failed

Is this from s3?

this

without art style well, art would be as boring as real life

>not putting both, art style and story in high regard and pushing them to greater potential.

This is why cartoons and comics are leagues behind anime and manga.

but most anime is bad

yeah anime looks shit nowadays too. what the fuck is this guy on about... oh waits its bait fuck....

both is shit

you mean japanese cartoons?

THIS

Modern cartoon are ugly.

What kind of art style do you guys think should appear more?

It would be nice if the characters actually looked a bit more human like Hanna-Barbera cartoons.

I don't really know though. Ed Edd n Eddy was super stylized but it was still visually appealing. everything now is just barf on a screen.

the most important thing to consider is that the character design should be interesting, imaginative and on par with the show's tone. Clarence wins with its childish, round designs and managing to stay on model 24/7, unlike OK K.O. which has even simpler designs but can't be consistent.

Holy crap it still burns

Yes.
youtube.com/watch?v=_SplEuWp0Yw

and everybody still looks like fucking shit

that animation looks amazing

best cartoon ever

is kinda cute

I feel like you aren't actually asking about art style, you're asking about sticking to a consistent model sheet.

OP would a clarified by now.
Why do you think he's asking about model sheets.
Is that something YOU Wana talk about?

nah

Because it's a silly question, since of course art style matters. It's like asking if color palette matters.

From the context of his OK K.O screen, a show which does not stick to a consistent model sheet, I feel he's actually asking whether it matters if each episode has a different art style from episode to episode.

Do you think matters?

depends

Frenchies and Nipponese (and Irishpeople) are the saviors of 2D.

Some people are silly user.

I'm referring people's opinion about art styles in drawings

ops "cartoons"

Yes, which is why I can't stand to watch shit like Adventure Time, OK KO, or Steven Universe.

But the majority of anime is shit user, especially what is essentially just harems and fan service.

adventure time is not that bad

not to people with taste.

Because you cannot taste an art style.

>It matters
We agree
>It has to be pretty/easy to look at
You lost me

this is a good idea, we need cartoons like that.

Yeah, but I'd say that writing matters more, a good art style just makes a show more appealing to the eye. There's tons of great, well written shows out there like pic related that have turned many people away for not being that pleasing to the eye. I remember when I was 11 or 12 I had a friend who didn't like Ed, Edd, n Eddy before because he was completely turned off by its jiggling and kind of ugly art style

I think the technical aspects of art; well done animation, perspective, interesting use of camera angles, etc. are morei mportant than art style.
But a good art style can really help direct the feeling of a show. Of recent, original cartoons I think my favorite art style is Flapjack's. The characters can range from cute and simple to absolutely grotesque and the color palettes are usually dark and dingy. It all works really well together to build atmosphere and lend to the dark humor.

What is the name of this cartoon?

Home Movies.

thanks

What are some of your favorite art styles in cartoons?

I think mine would be
>Chowder
>Courage the Cowardly Dog
>MTV's Downtown
>The Maxx
>Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack

Pretty sure it's promotional material for the game

The only thing that I never liked about this show's art is that everybody looked like they were wearing jumpsuits. How hard was it to color their hands different and draw a line across their waist to imply pants? Other than that minor irk, I'm fine with the crude visuals.

>Gumball S1
>Transformers Animated
>batman TAS
>early Spongebob
>two stupid dogs
>Zim
>TTG special

>Yes, but mostly as a first impression
Depends on how visually oriented the material is. With some exceptions comedy tends to be dialogue-oriented, so art style is less important. Contrast to something like that webm, where art style becomes extremely important because the aim is for the viewer to experience the action vicariously.

The importance of art style ultimately depends on the show itself. Is it an action oriented show? A comedy? SoL?
The art style should be able to accentuate the writing of the show and bring comedic/dramatic impact when needed to take advantage of the fact that animation is a visual medium.

Shit like Problem Solverz, where ugliness not only exudes from the show's aesthetic but also the character interactions/writing, cannot be fixed with a simple style change.

If you're talking about OKKO, I would say while the show is incredibly loose and, at times sloppy, with it's stylization, the animation of the show itself is snappy and incredibly effective at conveying both action and comedy. The show itself is relatively low-stakes, so the stylistic aspect of the show doesn't really hinder any emotional impact the show may be trying to have.

Steven Universe is a better example of a show where loose stylization proves to be detrimental in how viewers are able to take serious events.

10/10 hentai

yes

ok?

>Invader Zim
>Samurai Jack
>Courage the Cowardly Dog
>MLP FiM
>Gravity Falls (mainly the background art)
>This: youtube.com/watch?v=-WsZ2fUXbZg
>Gumball in general

Starfag watches Wakfu, not surprised.

>Conversely, I still haven't watched Big Mouth, and maybe never will, no matter how good people tell me it is. It's not a matter of principal, I just feel zero motivation to watch it. Can't be bothered.
this
I cant judge it obviously but that style is repulsive

This. People say writting is important, but if that's all you're gonna put effort into, don't even bother making it an animation

If other aspects can't pick up the slack, fuck yeah.
The instant Star vs. The Forces of Evil changed studios and the animation style shit the bed, there was nothing, NOTHING to keep a nigga interested.
Especially since se2 focused on shipping and series lore. I mean really who gives a fuck any more

yes.

if a show looks terrible, it's going to turn a lot of people off from watching it. pic related is a perfect example. which is a shame because it's actually not that bad.

>youtube.com/watch?v=-WsZ2fUXbZg
God damn it I hate that fanarty tumblry artstyle. I don't know what it's called. Tumblr here is used for red noses bad anatomy and gayshit, but that style is fucking prominent there

yes, otherwise you'd just listen to the radio.

>their eyeballs are so far out of their heads that they cast shadows
jesus christ

Why are his arms white?

And yet they changed sonics arm design for no reason.

Who the fuck likes the character desigm in star vs?
That transparant hair shit is trash.

Is the artstyle bad or does it just have poor conotations due to family guy.

If the wakfu game is anything like the dofus game that is a massive misrepresentation of enemy hp pools.