Steve Englehart, Mantis's co-creator, was disappointed with the character's portrayal, saying...

>Steve Englehart, Mantis's co-creator, was disappointed with the character's portrayal, saying, "That character has nothing to do with Mantis ... I really don’t know why you would take a character who is as distinctive as Mantis is and do a completely different character and still call her Mantis."

k

Englehart's reaction to Mantis was the least surprising thing ever.

Par for the course with these "adaptations" of characters. Rocket, Groot and kind of Drax are the only ones even somewhat close to their pre-movie characterizations.

That's what I like about the James Gunn films. He takes what might work, makes it work, and then says fuck the rest.

So is the source material any good? Why would they change so much?

Mantis is Englehart's waifu. She's rarely ever been a good character. She's just her creator's fapbait.

The best uses of her have always been the most different from Englehart.

Well duh, Guardians is really just an in name only property.

Englehart didn't even like anything that was done with Mantis in the comics after he left, not surprising.

Not even Rocket, well I guess if you count Bendis' run.

they just did the opposite of you when you changed her name 2 times through 2 different companies

but she was cute

but she could have been cuter

Englehart made an Vietnamese prostitute be able to defeat Thor in battle and hyped her up as a massive character.

Of course he wouldn't have been happy with her!

Englehard is a freak who was so fixated on this one character that he (A) made her the unwavering focus whenever he got to write her (B) had her overpower characters way, WAY above her power tier and (C) Kept writing her even after he left Marvel carrying her with her to three separate companies.

The man is obsessed and I don't care at all that he didn't like her portrayal.

Englehart's Mantis was not a hot big money success like James Gunn's Mantis

Thus he is salty af

Neither of those was anywhere close

That would be a point worth making if she wasn't in Guardians of the Galaxy. The only character that is close to their comic-counterpart is Groot.

I mean, Steve is in love with Mantis so this shouldn't be surprising.

>Drax
>somewhat close to their pre-movie characterizations.

Well I guess being completely autistic about words is kinda like being mentally retarded to act like you were the level of a child intellectually. Why you would use Giffen Drax design but stick with Infinity Watch era personality is beyond me.

Except he isn't either

Holy shit are you saying the mouse is ruining something else?
Color me surprised

Gunn's Gamora is Starlin's and his Quill is Englehart+Claremont/Moench+DnA, with a dash of Starhawk thrown in. Drax is 90s Starlin with the appearance of Giffen's, but autistic instead of outright retarded. Ronan was classic villainous Ronan, but in exile.

Everyone else is indeed pretty different though.

this

Figured I'd get this outta the way in case anyone interested passes by while I'm asleep.

>Englegart: a jerk with a mysterious birth, hung up on the death of his mom
>Claremont: a swashbuckling, braggadocious adventurer with deep-seeded anger issues
>Moench: a well-meaning rascal that frequently caused trouble and cried a lot
>DnA: the joker, a jaded but clever man who masked his true self with a brash, foolhardy facade

Add in Giffen's rapsheet, and Starhawk's background as an orphan raised by red-suited space pirates (known as the Reavers and led by Ogord), and you get MCU Star-Lord

>implying Mantis was ever good
Go to bed Steve

>Why would they change so much
Because what works on comic panels doesn't always work when adapted to the big screen. There wasn't a nerd uprising over the portrayal of Mantis because the product we got was still enjoyable

A, most of Mantis' source material is NOT good, and B, do you have any idea how hard it would be to adapt most of these characters in a true-to-comics fashion? The Avengers are easy, you do their solo origins and then throw them together against Loki. That's pretty much how it went in the comics with a few years of solo adventures in between their origins and first team up.

The characters in GOTG were around for decades before they got all together, often tied up with various other teams an stories, none of them capable (or Marvel willing) of supporting their own solo movies. It's fucking impossible to start your Cosmic MCU with GOTG and adapt the characters accurately without hand waving a whole lot of important shit as just happening off-screen. And that's not even touching on the fact that Marvel Studios doesn't own half the rights to important characters from their seminal storylines.

Be thankful what we got turned out half as good as it did.

>do you have any idea how hard it would be to adapt most of these characters in a true-to-comics fashion?
The alien plant Jesus story alone...

>Groot

Are you fucking high?

That's the MCU way.

>The only character that is close to their comic-counterpart is Groot.
Nope. They changed comics Groot to look and act like movie Groot.
He's a totally different character now.

Isn't this the case with everyone in GotG?

Mantis wasn't a good part of GotG 2. In fact she was annoying.

Down the line I think it would be funny and somewhat in character if they just recruit a bunch of people off-screen, and then roll with the fact that we don't know them at all. A scene where they're getting messed up ends with some random helping and everybody thanking them and being buddy-buddy, and they wind up pulling a Poochie at the end and just leaving at some point and being upset for a few seconds.
But I haven't read the source so who knows.

this. Englehart was too far gone into waifu land, just ignore him.
>just one punches Thor
fuck off

That's like, your opinion, man.

>nch of people off-screen, and then roll with the fact that we don't know them at all. A scene where they're getting messed up ends with some random helping and everybody thanking them and being buddy-buddy, and they wind up pulling a Poochie at the end and just leaving at some point and being upset for a few seconds.
This is absolutely genius. Especially if they all get title cards of some kind during their introduction and their deaths are played like nbd.

Yeah I'd be down for a silly one scene cameo of an obscure character, but it'd probably be best if it was in a movie that was a dark comedy like Deadpool.

>Deadpool being cornered by the badguy. Looks like he's in a real bind.
>SUDDENLY the badguy's arm is cut by a random flying blade thrown at them.
>Badguy and Deadpool turn to see a Blonde man in what looks to be random pieces of a Shredder costume and a backwards red cap
>Blonde then uses his power to ignite the blood of the badguy, burning from the inside out as he screams as he dies
Deadpool: "Thanks Adam X the Xtreme!"
>Adam give a little nod and a thumbs up.
Deadpool: "Now get outta here, you silly Shi'ar/Mutant hybrid you."
>Adam leaves without ever saying a word
Cable: "Who was that?"
Deadpool: "Sometimes a character is cooler the less you explain about their stupid character. Let's just leave it at that."

m-more?

That's a pretty good idea actually.

Isn't that basically what they did with the original Guardians in vol 2?

That sounds amazing. I'd also love if the dialogue is almost obscenely quippy (like finishing sentences or making up stupid catchphrases) and then they just all get sucked into a black hole or something

Now I'm disappointed nothing like this would happen

Damn. She's even puffier than Portman.

Surprising... people who never picked a comic (Sup Forums)?

So how IS mantis suppose to be like?

She's supposed to speak in the third person, often referring to herself as "this one."

Steve's waifu who is better than everyone else and is destined to give birth to space Jesus. She's also a Vietnamese prostitute.

To be fair Thor is a jobbing joke.

>destined to give birth to space Jesus
After mating with a sentient tree.

>Bendis: Han Solo, but dumber

>Make an adaptation of a lesser-known comic series for the big screen
>Have none of the characters act the way they do in the comics and tack on 70's and 80's pop music
>Movie did well, so now wrote the characters in the comics act like their movie counterparts
>Now people who enjoyed the comics before the memes took over can go fuck themselves
>OOGA CHAKA

this

>Gunn's Quill is Englehart+Claremont/Moench+DnA
No.

MCU Star-Lord is a joke meme bro tard character of a totally generic variety.

Yeah, pretty spot on.

The thing that gets me is all these people saying
>WHOODA THOUGHT THEY'D MAKE A GREAT MOVIE FRANCHISE OUTTA some obscure comic property like Guardians of the Galaxy!
They did it by changing every single one of the characters into something different that would fit into a movie.

But he's really not. Like, at all. I already broke it down earlier in the thread.

Yeah, I really hated how Gunn gave Rocket, a totally flat meme character under DnA, an actual character arc. That was the worst.

You know Giffen and DnA (and Furman if you count Gamora) totally overhauled the characters for their stories too, right?

Of course you don't, cause you didn't read those comics, so it doesn't count.

The DnA versions would have worked just fine though

The only character who had a semblance of arc under DnA was Quill, and his was just carrying over from what Giffen did.

Look, I fucking love Giffen/DnA's Cosmic. It was ambitious as hell with a crazy scope that made for an amazing time to be reading comics. But it is not the sacred cow Sup Forums makes it out to be, nor without its flaws, and it would nth ace made for a good movie, especially without the benefit of an Annihilation and Conquest movie to precede it.

>I'd also love if the dialogue is almost obscenely quippy (like finishing sentences or making up stupid catchphrases) and then they just all get sucked into a black hole or something
You need to get started on this immediately.

They had charisma though, and their actual backgrounds could have made for a good enough story even if they were just mentioned. What arc did Groot even have in the movie? What did movie Rocket even improve on comics Rocket?

Like clockwork.

Shut up Steve

Englert's Avengers is so boring, not to mention his Cap, nothing of value was lost.

To be fair, even DnA fucked with him. He didn't even talk like a regular being after the first time he died. Fucking retarded. Turns an interesting character in a long-running shit joke. I say this as someone who loves DnA cosmic.

>They had charisma though, and their actual backgrounds could have made for a good enough story even if they were just mentioned.
I'm not so sure. Of course we would have loved it because we read the comics, but I'm not sure audiences would have bought a bunch of characters whose heroics just happened off-screen. That's the problem with starting with GOTG. Even the comic at least had Annihilation and Conquest to set it up, and I'd wager most people who read GOTGv2 did indeed start from Annihilation.
>What arc did Groot even have in the movie?
Groot doesn't really have an arc himself, but the change to a good-natured Tree Jesus gives his sacrifice more weight. He's the only character in the movie who is purely good, and sacrifices himself to save the jerks who have spent the whole movie shitting on him, even Rocket.
>What did movie Rocket even improve on comics Rocket?
I love comic Rocky, but under DnA he didn't really do much but play second to Pete and pull out the big guns as required. Making him a mean little jerk compliments the other characters better and gives him an arc.

The movie characters all being assholes gives the movie a theme, an emotional core of broken, lonely, and selfish people coming together in service of something greater than themselves. There was no such theme in the comics. The team was just comprised of whoever was around for Quill to brainwash into helping him guard the universe.

And it does have a basis in the comics prior to the modern era. Quill was a jerk who stole the role of Star-Lord. Gamora was an assassin with Stockholm syndrome before she made the decision to break away from Thanos.

Well said user

>The best uses of her have always been the most different from Englehart.

So Guardians of the Galaxy 2, or The Crossing?

Literally nobody cared about any of these characters until DnA got ahold of them. For all intensive purposes, DnA created them. All Gunn did was shit on them.

This.
Sup Forums only gave a shit about Cosmic Marvel because they got to stroke their "hurr obscure character only REAL fans from the 70s/80s will recognize" boners and literally be comic hipsters.

Nah. Cosmic marvel was a fantastically ambitious and large scale storyline. It was a unique look into the scope the Marvel universe could have.

It was not without flaws, but most of us generally like it for it's strengths.

>Literally nobody cared about any of these characters until Gunn got ahold of them. For all intensive purposes, Gunn created them
ftfy

>source material
>good

No, Mantis was never good.

Neither was Domino for that matter, couldn't care less about the casting. I wouldn't even care if they cast a transgender parapelegic man from Bolton with Tourettes as Domino, I'd just get a hankering for garlic bread.

She married a fucking tree!

I'm not knocking Cosmic Marvel at all; I loved Cosmic Marvel, but Sup Forums only gave a shit about it because they used it as a "newfag" meter for a while.

>Groot
DnA Groot, maybe. Any other Groot, no.
Giant miss on the Drax thing, too.

MCU Drax is closer to Infinity Watch Drax, which is very different from DnA Drax.