Look him up on youtube

>look him up on youtube
>video after video praising him, "what we can learn from dan harmon's writing" "dan harmon's essential story telling rules (which is basically just babbys first hero's journey)" and clips from harmontown where he gives really shitty destructive advice like "accept your own lazyness and dont strive to make anything good, just treat it like shitting something out (yes, that's pretty much verbatim what he says) with a bunch of yes men telling him how true and genius it is.

You know, I'm not a fan of call out videos, but if anyone deserves one, it's dan harmon. If only because he's giving genuinely really shitty writing advice to impressionable people in a way that might actively harm their creative journey, and people need to stop dickriding him and not treat him like the second coming of christ.

In that sense, he really is a new dobson. People only really latched onto hating dobson cause he gave shitty advice to impressionable kids, and that's just outright reprehensible. Except harmon is way, way, WAAAAAAY worse because he has a fucking industry backing him up as a rising star writer that gives weight to his advice that isn't easily dismissed as amateur. He's outright dangerous to impressionable writers.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/10/dan-harmons-angry-abusive-twitter-rant-makes-him-s.html
youtube.com/watch?v=GTO1uyzQ9wg
youtube.com/watch?v=ypDMuM_I3_w
youtube.com/watch?v=sZAChl6YWBs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Kys

you first

Remember kids, its easier to get forgiveness than permission. That's the mentality of all these cunts who go on insane tirades only beg later with a mea culpa. Left, right or center, they know exactly what they're doing because people fall for it.

In Dan's case, notice also, anytime he does something stupid he plays his alcoholic crutch for extra possible sympathy.

Also, fuck off with these threads.

So did Sup Forums just decide he's the new devil? Is dobson really that boring to follow now?

Why do you think he keeps getting kicked off projects?

*buuuurp* God ain't real Morty
Morty I need muh McDonalds Sauce *fart*
I'm Piiiiiiickle Rick!!!! *buuuuuuuuurp*

>him and roiland browse Sup Forums
>mfw he's probably gonna see this and feel BTFO

Incoming vague twitter whining later today, I guarantee it.

Bet these threads are made by someone that works in the same room with him every day

... J-Justin?

Harmon's just the dick of the moment. Dobson hate is infinitely expanding.

>He's outright dangerous to impressionable writers.
Impressionable people earn what they get.

Hi Matt

>he says this and the thought that he blatantly used mcdonalds's IP without their permission completely flies over his head

What is he saying?

put a spoiler up for that image OP you sick fuck, do you want me to lose my lunch?

while a lot of what you say is valid, the "shit something out" quote actually is great advice in my opinion. the problem most writers have isn't a failure of quality, its a failure of discipline and a perfectionist attitude. He's encouraging people to just fucking WRITE, and give a shit about what they make on a case by case basis. It's the difference between a beautiful idea that never gets past being an idea and a so-so idea that actually exists, and can then be developed.

He thinks he invented that sauce that his show's fans are spazing over.

He's angry at McDonald's for selling one of their own products after he hyped up demand for it.

>babby's first hero's journey
I found Dan's "muh circle" guide years ago through Justin. It gave me a basis for Campbell, which got me into Jung and finally how Jung's motifs were subjectively implemented in Fellini. It was the first step on some of the biggest influences on my own shit.

If I reread it now it would probably be really entry-level stuff, but it honestly wasn't a bad intro for the industry pragmatist.

Yeah, I think OP is having trouble seeing the forest from the trees. Harmon's an egomaniac, but it's wilfully ignorant to act like his videos on writing are entirely without merit. Hes just not that good a writer himself. Seems like the kind of dude that'll eventually end up teaching.

Why is harmon such a bitch? I dont say this often, but Mcdonalds is in the right.

He thinks McDonalds should pay him royalties for the sauce.

>Mcdonalds is in the right

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves, they still pulled that bullshit stunt sending only 10 packs of sauce to each restaurant instead of actually having a reasonable amount

>Manufacturing and distribution costs a LOT of money
>Testing the water with a small amount amount to see if the whole thing is a internet joke or if there is actual long term interest that merits investment
Seems pretty fucking reasonable to me

not gonna lie i thought that was dan slott

It was obvious to everyone with a brain that getting the sauce wasn't going to be worth the hassle once it was revealed that each store was barely getting any. The people who get paid to make these decisions should, at a minimum, be better at it than the layman.

Has Dobby done anything at all lately?

>which is basically just babbys first hero's journey

If you believe in the 12 step Hero's Journey you're a turbo brainlet.

Fuck Chris Vogler and screenwriters in general.

Again, is this just an internet fad that dies in a week and doesn't warrant the investment, or is it something more.

They underestimated, we agree on that, but with how finicky fads can be can you blame them for erroring on the side of caution? Who wants to be the manager that made the call to manufacture and ship a shit ton of product that rots in a storage room.

What makes you say that?

Those YouTube video essay people always seem overly impressed with all of the media they consume.

Because the Hero's Journey is not a formula for storytelling. The distilled 12 steps omit Campbell's refined explanations for each of the symbols in storytelling.

It's an easy way of writing an inoffensive plot. It's not a writer's godsend, and it certainly shouldn't be treated like one.

FUCK DAN HARMON. FUCK HIM WITH SATAN'S BARB-WIRED FROZEN COCK. THE LAZY SACK OF SHIT IS WORTH LESS THAN THE NAPKIN WIPING UP THE SPUNK SPILLING OUT OF THE ROTTEN COOZE OF AN AIDS-INFESTED CRACKWHORE.

At least Schrab got his shit together and finished SCUD. This lazy waste of existence cannot even finish La Cosa Nostroid. He's not even worth a "Some of You Guys are Alright" scenario muchless me pissing on him if he were on fire.

Fact is he gets more teen ass than everyone in this thread combined. Face it. He won

>Fact is he gets more teen ass than everyone in this thread combined.
Do you have proof?
SJWs eat their own and I'd like to see that.

He's been a public asshole for a while now.

pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/10/dan-harmons-angry-abusive-twitter-rant-makes-him-s.html

>Look, i can paraphrase that book of Joseph Campbell: the hero of the thousand faces
>I invented the rule of three for Comedy

>Justin Roiland will never get away from him

>i'm better than you because i'm famous and you're not

youtube.com/watch?v=GTO1uyzQ9wg

Rob Schrab was right, a prophet.

I think it's because the sauce packets had Rick & Morty stuff on it

He hates Cuphead cause it’s too hard

Harmon hate is fleeting, Dobby hate is eternal

Sup J-Dawg

This, I don't even know what the fuck he expected to happen.
>Have wildly popular show with obnoxious fanbase
>Shoehorn some shit in about how the main character's ultimate quest is to get some stupid old promotional sauce from a real restaurant
>Surprised and upset when the restaurant tries to capitalize on the retards

It's just some generic calarts-style drawing with a scifi theme. If he's mad it looks too much like Rick and Morty, maybe they should have put in more effort to make it look distinct.

Oh, Jesus. I feel so bad for Justin.

Oh, I never got a good look at it, and I just assumed it was the real thing.

Ive seen his interviews he seems like a hyper unfunny bitch who can only make one voice

>is both Rick and Morty
>can only make one voice
What the fuck?

The sound the same bitch just deeper

I feel like I've seen this motherfucker before.

Only thing that really resembles R&M is the color of the portal, but there's really no reason to make it sci fi theme other than the obvious. Which is not to say that Dan is right but if MD claimed this whole thing had nothing to do with the show (which afaik they aren't) they'd be lying.

>video after video praising him, "what we can learn from dan harmon's writing" "dan harmon's essential story telling rules (which is basically just babbys first hero's journey)"
I really hate how many pseudo intellectuals have flocked to that sort of video essay format, where they spend about 10 to 15 minutes peppering up their often copy-pasted or misinformed opinions with buzzwords.
Always unoriginal mulling over whatever's trending or considered "smart" too.

Don't be mean to kids.

I agree.

the logo is pretty similar as well

For every EFAP there are a hundreds of tits with halfways decent editing skills.

People latched onto hating Dobson because he's an autistic obnoxious faggot
In a way I guess it's still applicable then

>If he's mad it looks too much like Rick and Morty, maybe they should have put in more effort to make it look distinct.
rick and morty artstyle BTFO

Now that you say that they do both do the retarded random lower and upper case letters.

People actually give a shit about Dan Harmon? I thought everyone saw Harmonquest and figured out he isn't creative and is pretty much stuck inside the box.

Eat shit, you fat fuck.

youtube.com/watch?v=ypDMuM_I3_w

Not at all, Morty is anxious and timid, Rick is a sarcastic curt faggot.

But McDonald's is fully in the right to push the sauce because of the show, since they didn't steal any of the characters

I'm currently watching it for the first time. His entire schtick seems to revolve around "haha I'm a pathetic loser". That being said he's marginally better at improv than the imrpov R&M episodes made me think, but that's not saying much.

I never implied otherwise.

>hey jaden smith how much ironic abstraction are you on
>I dunno man, like 6
>you are like little baby
>watch this

Someone pls vocaroo this.

>just treat it like shitting something out
This is basically what a bunch of actually talented creators say though. Just write something, doesn't matter if it's good. You'll never get anything done if you just keep second guessing yourself or keep trying to make something that can never be perfected perfect.

That being said, Harmon is an awkward and cringey asshole, but that's what makes him kind of funny, desu senpai.

>a rising star
No- he's been working since the mid nineties, it's just that he has a personality disorder and shits all over his own life so in the same analogy it's a star that begins to rise, fucks up spectacularly and plummets straight into shit, and the "rises" again so it can run through the cycle ad infinitum.

Reminds me vaguely of Tobias from Amazing world of Gumball

No really. What. The. Fuck. Did he mean by this?

>Sorry, McBlatantly Unlicensed Integration Meal done not well, hold the permission, extra awkward machine broke
>Understandable, Have A Great Day.

Problem with this sort of writing is that it's usually supposed to be followed up by step where, after you've gotten the work of sitting down and writing done, you're supposed to go back and rework the parts you half-assed and remove the terrible jokes and ideas because it's easier to work with something that's garbage than it is to work with a blank screen.

But people tend to not emphasize this crucial step when giving this sort of advice, so people tend to take it as being that after you "shit something out" you just call it a day rather than going back to do any tweaking once you have material to work with.

Sup Forums hates Dan Harmon because he spoke out against Nazis in America.

Someone called him out on his bullshit so he assumed they had to be a mcdonalds worker

0/10
not even trying

this is hilarious.

It's funny because Harmon actually takes the time to argue with random people.

Harmon BTFO.

underrated kek

The anti-nazi part isnt the issue, its just all the other SJW stuff that makes it into the show and is very clearly out of place

Savage.

Sounds like he got owned.

Judging by that Skyrim let's play he did he probably can't aim or anything because he's playing the game at one frame per second.

I remember one of his tweets about the incident was like a fucking dril tweet, except unironic

>I will ask you in front of The Hollywood Reporter and with the world watching

Holy shit, I heard about this incident but I thought it was being exaggerated.

>pretty much verbatim
Stopped reading here. Go fuck yourself.

According to Dobson he plays Skyrim at 10 fps thank you very much.

Dude my boy Psychic Abilities said Justin would be on today.

This is some funny shit. This dude just pulled a Rick Sanchez on the Subgenius church.

youtube.com/watch?v=sZAChl6YWBs

Those are charecter traits you dumb fuck
Roiland even said it himself that he wasnt good at voices
Morty
Lemongrab
And that time guy in gravity falls sound the same

Unless more than one character appears within eyesight.

user for the win

You know, After season three on r&m, I started thinking about Community. It turned to shit in season 5, which was filled with "sequel" episodes and recycled ideas. Season 6 was even worse, with half the episodes dealing with the exact same basic premise. It was like the writers completely forgot what made that show good and tried to recapture the magic by constantly referencing the good years.
I decided to check, and lo and behold, it turns out most of the writers on season 5 were people that never wrote for the show before, and by season 6 the only writer that was on the show before season 5 was Harmon himself.

My point is, I don't think the purge of the writers for season 3 of r&m was because of "feminism". I think Harmon is painfully mediocre writer that fumbled into something good with Community and is afraid of people with more talent, so whenever his show becomes big, he'll get rid of the good ones and replace them with cronies and yes-men. And much like with Paul Feig's Ghostbusters, the "feminism" is just a convenient shield to hide behind and call detractors sexist.
It would also explain why he put a jab at MCU in one of the final episodes of Community - he's assravaged that the Russos got to work on arguably the biggest motion picture franchise of the decade while he's stuck doing shows for fucking Yahoo and Adult Swim.

I love the fact that people are mispronouncing szechuan. It's pronounced (bar with me here) SUE-CHWAN-AH not SESHJUAN.

If you want to get technical on Mandarin.

We don't but thank you either way, akshuallyanon.