Is War of the Jokes and Riddles the worst Batman story ever?

Is War of the Jokes and Riddles the worst Batman story ever?

You won't read it anyway, why should we tell you?

Probably not.

Not even close. It's probably Tom King's worst work, but I feel like a lot of this isn't his fault- the dude has one title to tell the story of what should essentially be a massive event. It leaves him to put out what feels like the highlight reel of a much larger story- King just hops between really well-crafted, solid scenes like the dinner negotiation, the Ballad of Kite-Man, and the climax with a bunch of nothing happening in between. And yeah, Batman's "greatest sin" is anti-climactic as all hell and even a little silly, but the irony of Joker being the one to stop Batman from killing is enough to make up for it.

I dunno, it's probably a 6/10 overall, there are definitely far worse stories out there.

Not even close. There are some really bad Batman stories out there.

Grant Morrison has written multiple Batman stories, so I'm going with no.

no

No, but it is one of the most disappointing in recent memory

Not-even-close-mind?

It is very poorly drawn, certainly.
Not OP, but that's the reason I won't read it, and have kinda skipped King's run.

Fuck off

The only writter in Morrison's level is Alan Moore

I've enjoyed his run for the most part but I sure am looking forward to Clay Mann and Joelle Jones doing more art in the future and hopefully less Janín. I don't usually hate his art with the passion some Sup Forumsmrads do but good lord this latest arc was unbearable.

I liked his riddler and his new buff body and the kung fu skills he had.

No but it's definitely not the best

No, but only because there are more Batman stories than grains of sand in the Sahara Desert.

It was fun, mediocre but better than Snyder's bland shit.

Batman Cacophony still exists

I don't get how Kevin Smith fucked up so bad with Batman when his work on Daredevil and Green Arrow was pretty good.

At first I thought I was the only one who didn't care about it at all

Disappointing as fuck but not the worst Batman story I've read.

Batman RIP is worse

Kevin Smith probably has the same kind of hateboner for Batman that Geoff Johns has

Cacophony took the no kill rule to the absolute maximum

1v1 me faget

Kike Man. Shekel yeah!

How is it even possible to have taste this bad?

convoluted =/= deep

Anyone want a storytime of this thing? It's 3 issues

How is it related to Doomsday clock?

>His Daredevil and Ga was good

Don't do this to us

Funnily enough, Tom King did wonders explaining what happened to Silver St. Cloud with the Elmer Fudd issue. He is the one who did the issue where she was getting her throat slit,
right? Or am I thinking of someone else?

>Is War of the Jokes and Riddles the worst Batman story ever?

I really liked it. I think the criticism is way overblown.

The laughable thing is Morrison's writing isn't even convoluted. Its only Capefags with double digit iq who have been reading shitty writers like Byrne, Wolfman, Waid and Johns their whole lives, finding it convoluted.

>Y-you're just too dumb to get it!
Are Morrisonfags the Rick and Morty fans of comic books? Seriously, if anyone criticizes his work at all the lot of you jump straight to insulting other people's intelligence. Morrison is up his own ass about how complex his ideas are and it's all incoherent drivel only a first year psychology student would find impressive.

What is the correct order for Morrison's Batman run?

Okay
resubmitted with the right crop

The correct reading order is don't

>convoluted
Grant Morrison stories aren't really that convoluted. He covers weird / trippy content, but the stories themselves aren't like David Lynch movies, they actually have pretty traditional and straightforward structures to them.

Read the post once again, faggot. No wonder you have a hard time to read a simple Cape comic.

>Cue Final Crisis

That shit is impossible to understant without a summary on the internet

>Seriously, if anyone criticizes his work at all the lot of you jump straight to insulting other people's intelligence.
That's not specific to Grant Morrison fans. Insulting someone's intelligence is a pretty popular response to criticism of anything people like, possibly the most common response there is.

most boring one ever
the only people that like King are redditors and retards

Two things killed this arc
>Fucking terrible Riddler
>Batman's breaking point was Riddler's shit joke/murders even though Joker has pulled FAR worse crimes
The only saving grace was Kite Man, Hell Yeah

the art made it unbearable

with a creative artist it might have been better

Meh Battle for the Cowl, War Games, War Crimes, spring to mind as worse than this.

That does require a fuck load of background knowledge, and it only got more confusing if someone read all the tie-ins.
I don't know, Rucka's "Death and the Maiden's is nine issues long when it could easily be six.

Contrarians gonna contrarian. I wonder how many of you fags were even here the pre King turn.

It's only 20-30 of you and you just wont shut up.

"What is Batman:Odissey?"

at least Rucka can write dialogue like a non-PTSD afflicted autist

A masterpiece.

Final Crisis wasn't really that complicated. It mostly amounted to Darkseid takes over and Batman breaks his usual code against guns / killing by shooting him and gets omega sanctioned in the process. There's also the Monitor / Mandrakk stuff, but there's not much to that plot either. Monitors banish Nix to Earth to live as a human, Nix regains his memories in the end and uses his Monitor powers to summon a bunch of heroes who are then able to defeat Mandrakk who was the even greater villain behind all the Darkseid shit from earlier.

It was a flashback to Year Two. Do we even know what Joker has done up to that point?

through a summary is a really straightfoward story, but read it is a shore.

DC editors really should put a leash on Grant while he was writting it

Did anyone else find that most of the villains were on the wrong side? Like, shouldn't Scarecrow and Zsasz be working with Joker, and shouldn't Two Face, Mr. Freeze and Penguin have been working with Riddler?

And shouldn't Deadshot and Deathstroke have never involved themselves in this pissing contest in the first place? They're professionals.

Frankly, most if not all the Bat-Villains wouldn't have gotten involved in the first place. They would have went underground and waited until the entire shit show blew over.

>They would have went underground and waited until the entire shit show blew over.
No they fucking wouldn't. Not once had Batman villains have ever played it safe and not taken the opportunity to exploit chaos.

They all fell in line like good little lackeys, they didn't "exploit chaos" you literal retard.

When have they ever shown to be above it all user? Fucking never so tale your headcanon amd shove it up your ass.

>the opportunity to exploit chaos.
that's not what they did, though

All the fucking time. Why do you think they never all band together to take out Batman, you mouthbreathing invalid?

None of those villains were the type to stand to attention and sound off riddles on command just to make the Riddler look cool.

No, but it was everything the Riddler shouldn't be

they didn't sit at home twiddling their thumbs.

How the hell did Riddler get them all to say one word of a riddle anyway? Did they all rehearse it?

Why didn't one of them refuse on the grounds that it was lame and cringey as fuck?

This guy has the right idea. Frankly, all the villain lackeys could have been nameless goons and they story wouldn't have changed. What I suggested was that if the villains HAD to pick a side, half of them chose a side pretty ill suited to their personalities. It's like the writers just drew names out of a hat.

no, they just lined up like good little soldiers for Riddler and Joker, which flies in the face of any and all previous characterization.

Hush Returns
Batman Year Two

My headcanon is that both Joker and Riddler had to give all the other villains frequent blowjobs in order to maintain their loyalty. Riddler was frankly relieved when Batman joined his side and declined the offer.

>Hush Returns
why stop there, the original Hush arc is garbage too

>implying you know anything about these character and how they act.
Your headcanon is not actual canon.

RIP still exists so no.

neither is yours

I've had just about enough of this meme that RIP is bad

>Hurr Durr, all Batman villains exist to create chaos!
No, they fucking don't you stupid casual. There was very little incentive to join this pissing contest

>No, they fucking don't.
Yes they do, they're supervillains.

Retard

Penguin wants money, not chaos
Freeze wants to save muh Nora, not chaos
Poison Ivy wants to kill all humans so plants can thrive, not chaos
Riddler wants to test his intellect against Batman, not chaos
Deathstroke and Deadshot want money, not chaos
Killer Croc wants a variety of things, but chaos is not one of them

at best, the only villains who want chaos are Joker and Bane, but even Bane wants chaos with a goal in mind, and Joker only occasionally wants chaos for chaos's sake

>Penguin wants money, not chaos.
He was born rich and as a gangster he dies nothing but spread chaos.
>Freeze wants to save muh Nora
Focusing on Nora makes Freeze one note.
>Poison Ivy wants to kill all humans so plants can thrive
How the hell is that not chaos?
>Riddler wants to test his intellect against Batman
And he does that by causing chaos.
>Deathstroke and Deadshot want money,
They were getting paid.
>the only villains who want chaos are Joker and Bane
All villains cause chaos.

>He was born rich and as a gangster he dies nothing but spread chaos.
chaos isn't good for business, you goof

>riddler
>buff
>e v e r
Edward Nygma is a failed normie AT BEST.

Again, retard. Thank god you don't write comics, you have a very 2 dimensional view on characters

Business being crime which is disruptive to actual society.

See that never made sense to me, characters like the Riddler, The scarecrow, and others cannot be intimidating when they're physical weaklings while Batman is peak human martial artist.

I thought it was garbage, even though Tom King is my favorite author in the business currently.

But from the few reviews I read, every single reviewer gave him 10/10s on every single issue, so IDK maybe I just wasn't smart enough for the arc.

yes, but chaos in the vein of what Riddler wanted in TWOJAR is not good for business

Well the Penguin in TWOJAR was somewhat a hostage to the Joker and not at all the gang leader he would become.

Not the user you were talking with but holy fuck are you a retard.

Penguin wants to maintain the image of a gentleman of crime. He wants money, power and status. He doesn't achieve any of that by working for the fucking Joker.

Mr. Freeze is a one note character for wanting to save Nora? That may be so, but he sure as fuck doesn't live to spread chaos. He had no justification for being in this story and if "muh Nora" isn't good enough for you then go ahead and write a different character.

Ivy? They at least showed Riddler interacting with her so I'll give you that one.

Riddler's motivation here was retarded. Why did the Joker stop laughing? Why was the Riddler so sure that losing the war would make him laugh? Since when does Riddler want to match wits with Joker? He's all about one-upping Batman and the cops.

Nowhere in the story was it mentioned that Deadshot and Deathstroke were being paid. They would need to be paid a LOT to go up against each other, and I doubt Riddler or Joker has that kind of change just lying around. In the story they fell into line just like all the other good little lackeys.

All villains cause chaos? Fuck you, retard.

The Riddler is a threat because he's a deftly minded, scheming shit who builds deathtraps in his spare time that would put John Kramer to shame. Scarecrow is a manipulative ex-psychologist with a lot of hallucinogenics who applies what he learned as a psychiatrist to an adverse affect in an attempt to break his subjects completely.

>He wants money, power and status
He already has that so what's his motivation of being a gentleman of crime?

Bane and Killer Croc are really the only physically intimidating Batman villains

are you somehow unfamiliar with the concept of "greed"

>The Riddler is a threat because he's a deftly minded, scheming shit who builds deathtraps in his spare time that would put John Kramer to shame
Except Batmam can beat him in a game of wits just as easily as he could physically beat him up.
>Scarecrow is a manipulative ex-psychologist with a lot of hallucinogenics who applies what he learned as a psychiatrist to an adverse affect in an attempt to break his subjects completely.
Except Batman doesn't get scared.

yes, user, the good guy beats the bad guys. You've finally cracked the secret to every superhero story ever.

He does. He just wrestles the toxin off however x many times Scarecrow uses it because plot armor.

>All villains cause chaos? Fuck you, retard.
How else would they be villains if they do not cause chaos?

Scarecrow usually has SOME fighting skills, but he's not a physical powerhouse like Batman, he's a psychological villian, much like Joker.

Again, Riddler is more psychological, less physical.

Same again with Penguin, he's a dark mirror to Bruce. He's got goons to do his fighting for him, he shouldn't need to get his hands dirty to be a threat.

Batman has plenty of physical combatant villains: Bane, Croc, Clayface, Deadshot, Deathstroke, Catman, Firefly, Owlman, Red Hood (sometimes), Zsasz (arguably), KGBeast, Catwoman (sometimes), Ivy, Freeze etc.

Not every villian needs to be a physical threat.

Lex Luthor isnt Superman's nemesis because of just the power armour.

Hell naw.

>but I feel like a lot of this isn't his fault- the dude has one title to tell the story of what should essentially be a massive event.

Fuck that noise. It would have been much worse if they had made it into a stupid event.

Being a gentleman of crime is how he maintains his power, money and status.

And it's not like power, money or status are finite concepts. He's always going to want more -especially after he keeps getting humiliated/incarcerated/bankrupted by Batman.

He sure as fuck isnt going to achieve any of his goals by being a lackey for Joker of all people.

Emperor Superman from Injustice doesn't want chaos. Lex Luthor doesn't want chaos. Darth Vader and Palpatine don't want chaos. Dr. Doom doesn't want chaos. Kingpin and Penguin don't want chaos. Mr. Freeze doesn't want chaos. Angelus and Dark Willow don't want chaos. Aliens and Predators don't want chaos. Your average Stormtrooper, bounty hunter or hired muscle goon doesn't want chaos.

A chaos-loving edgelord is ONE type of villian. Chaos doesn't have to be the motivation for ALL villains, you fucking moron.

Revenge, money, honour, societal upbringing, nature, illness etc are all valid motivations for a villian amongst many others.

>He sure as fuck isnt going to achieve any of his goals by being a lackey for Joker of all people.
The Joker is one of the most powerful people in Gotham. He has had more money and influence than any of the old crime bosses.

>The Joker is one of the most powerful people in Gotham