So, I'm doing philosophy next year as a major

So, I'm doing philosophy next year as a major.

What's Sup Forums's ACTUAL opinion on the Liberal Arts? Is this board so Utilitarian that everything must be done just so long as it benefits society, or can one be justified in pursuing non economic careers or dreams?

Or do you not mind what someone does as long as you don't have to pay for it à la Bernie style?

Its a waste of time and money. I consider suicide every day

I studied philosophy and art history in college.

I work at a law firm now.

Lib arts is fine if you actually have a plan after college and know how to sell the skills that lib arts teaches you. If not, then don't get into it. There's already enough useless art majors that give the rest of us a bad name.

Sup Forums is for adults.

Come back in 10 years

>liberal arts

kys yourself

I say this as a CompE major:

You'll get a bunch of autists screeching about MUH ENGINEERING, but humanities is pretty vital

Philosophy tends to attract people who are nearly as intelligent as people taking physics so you'll be in good company

The big problem is it's not really marketable, and the quality of the philosophy education you will get varies wildly by school

So can Philosophy lead to solid career paths? I've heard that it's shit tier for the most part unless you go on to do Law as a masters.

It always struck me that so many Lib Art cunts go nowhere in life because they're too lazy to begin with and set their hopes too high.

you will end up unhappy and doubt everything

Would you recommend from Philosophy someone to go on to do a masters in a more marketable course then? Like Law?

I have a philosophy degree. Only do it as a part of a double. If you can into math definately do Engineering or Science or something. You're life will be a lot happier.

Philosophers are important and I commend you for thinking about putting such a burden on yourself. Don't accept anything anyone says to you, be critical of everything, especially yourself.

Just a reminder that this thread isn't necessarily about me but whether Lib Arts can be justifiable.

I already am unhappy

I can't into maths though, the only course I was compelled to do was something which had me think but not have to do maths.

What'd you do as a double combo?

Unless you go to ANU, Syd or Melb for your philosophy and get straight HDs forget about doing a masters in a different discipline

I did Law. I was an investment banker for a bit and wanted to kill myself every day. Now I just chill like a nigger because that's where the happiness is.

Depends on the variables.

Are your parents paying?

Are you going with HECS?

Are you doing it to get a law degree?

Or because you're lazy and don't want to do a real degree?

What do you plan to do for a career or earn money and is this contributing towards it?

>What's Sup Forums's ACTUAL opinion on the Liberal Arts?
The trivium (grammar, logic, rhetoric) and quadrivium (arithmetic, geometry, music, astronomy) that comprise the 7 liberal arts are an ideal base of knowledge that every student should have a comprehensive understanding of - before post-secondary education.

>The liberal arts (Latin: artes liberales) are those subjects or skills that in classical antiquity were considered essential for a free person (Latin: liberalis, "worthy of a free person")[1] to know in order to take an active part in civic life, something that (for Ancient Greece) included participating in public debate, defending oneself in court, serving on juries, and most importantly, military service. Grammar, logic, and rhetoric were the core liberal arts, while arithmetic, geometry, the theory of music, and astronomy also played a (somewhat lesser) part in education.[2]
In this day and age you can't stop there. If you want to pursue liberal arts, you need to follow that up with another degree or diploma.

you'll meet cool as fuck people in philosophy. smoke some weed with them, and don't worry about the future. Just do it user - it'll be a good life experience.

I suggest reading Philosophy on the side and study something in relation in the stem field.

You can always learn your interests on your own.

I used to study philosophy, then i changed to asian religions and eded as a fucking yoga instructor. Then i woke up of that hippie nightmare and now im starting law school.

nigga, learn a trade, is way more useful and are well payed in strayacuntland.

>you'll meet cool as fuck people in philosophy. smoke some weed with them, and don't worry about the future. Just do it user - it'll be a good life experience.
Don't listen to Australia, he's trying to lead you astray. Shoo shoo, kangaroo

You can relate any field to philosophy

In particular philosophy has an affinity with law, business, the art field (buying & selling), politics, etc.

But you actually have to pay attention and learn how to reason and argue properly. Additionally, take the time to improve your writing. Most philosophy majors just take it because it's "deep" and focus on all the useless existential stuff instead of all the analytical and logical aspects. Then they wonder why they're unmarketable.

If you know how to argue from a bad position and be successful at it, you will do fantastic in any field that relies on communication. 99% of any job in the fields I mentioned earlier involves correspondence and forming relationships with people. The most important part about any job is communication, both in writing and in speaking. Philosophy can teach you this if you pay attention to the right lessons.

Additionally, knowing how to talk about lofty subjects like art and politics is instrumental in making connections with higher ups. My knowledge of art and history got me multiple interviews and it ended up getting me my current job because I could prove I was intelligent and cultured.

Going to utas for Philosophy, am I fucked?

Would it be realistic to do Philo as a major then Law as a masters following the course? Or is that simply not smart?

>Are your parents paying?
I hope not.

>Are you going with HECS?
I have no idea, I assume so.

>Are you doing it to get a law degree?
That's what I was thinking of since I realize Philosophy can be a dead end

>Or because you're lazy and don't want to do a real degree?
I'm not sure, I simply was never one to enjoy Stem fields. I was thinking Economics, but I chose Philosophy because it was the only one I was actually interested in and the deadline was fast approaching.

>What do you plan to do for a career or earn money and is this contributing towards it?
There's realistic goals, then there's dreams. I'm not sure which is which at this point.

The always admired the Trivium, but I can't help but feel that most ancient individuals could afford to be philosophers as a literal career choice because they often came from wealthy aristocratic families, basically guaranteed good career paths.

These days, it's all very material based and Utilitarian. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

(OP)
idk how it works for y'all, but you can get a decent job in the business world in America with pretty much any degree. Fields like sales and HR don't require specific degrees, many of them just ask that you have a bachelor's degree. I got my degree in criminal justice and wound up selling managed IT services.

I took a Masters in Education after 4 years of English, History and a bit of Philosophy. Teaching is a pretty comfy, modest living and I work abroad so I get to cool travel to places like flag related. No regrets. Education is always there if law isn't your thing.

Sounds great, but I still can't help but be worried. What I want to do, but what I have to do, are two different things and I can't always do what I wish.

I feel that much of the Lib Arts are just basically hobbies for the average modern man, and often, hobbies have no basis for the current highly economic orientated market we live in today. That's the worry at the moment for me.

>as a fucking yoga instructor
To be honest, that doesn't sound that bad.

These mixed messages are confusing me

That's the saving grace of a course of Philosophy, and to be honest, the only thing I've ever been good at was arguing and speaking. I've never been good at maths or hands on trade skills, but things like Law or Business was always far too stale for my liking.

But I'm willing to do Law if need be, the last thing I want to do is be a dropkick.

A sage would be cool, but my parents certainly wouldn't be proud.