Put time and effort into learning how to draw and be a storyteller with a large palette of influences

>put time and effort into learning how to draw and be a storyteller with a large palette of influences
>really want to join groups of like minded people
>every single time it's a bunch of weeaboo furfag going full OWO WOTS DISSZ who don't know jack about squat regarding art and whose sole goal is to work in "the industry and make my own cartoons!"

Am I crazy? Is everyone else crazy? Look, I'm not even asking for rando fuckers to talk about goethe or dostoevsly or anything esoteric like that... but seriously, there are fuckers who want to make films and haven't even bothered to watch hitchcock, and who think the hero's journey is the deepest shit in the world? There are people who seriously think anime is the height of animation as a medium who've never even bothered to skim past a Ralph bakshi movie, or soviet animation?

I understand not everyone is gonna be a huge hipster, but is it me, or are most contemporary artists really... infantilized? They spend their time watching let's players and cartoon reviewers, and to each their own, but... fuck, where are the adults?

Wow so some rando who has never made anything thinks he's better than the other randos who never made anything. Good job, buckaroo.

>90% of art is shit
Astonishing revelation.

Don't wanna be a d/ic/k, but post your work. I like seeing what other anons make, I hope some of them have succesful careers in the fields they choose.

They're too entranced by social media to act maturely. Most cartoons nowadays are made by small tightly knit cliques that likely reject outside involvement.

Dude, what does your social circle look like? Are you hanging around a bunch of weeaboos or people who are actually in the industry? Do you find yourself subconsciously gravitating toward groups which "look" to be at your speed? Do you live in LA, NY or Vancouver? If not, move. My advice is to keep looking. Networking is half the battle and if you keep ending up with people who are not up to snuff then maybe you're a pretentious hipster Dunning–Kruger wanna be storyteller who all the "adults" are avoiding because they can smell your bullshit a mile away. Keep trying USSR-fag :^)

>and who think the hero's journey is the deepest thing ever
If it works. Everyone with a basic knowledge of narrative knows about it, it's not the be-all end-all, but I think it's a necessary starting point.

The only difference between you and them is that you've found a way to be miserable while feeling superior.

>There are people who seriously think anime is the height of animation as a medium who've never even bothered to skim past a Ralph bakshi movie, or soviet animation?
Recommend me some soviet animation that has deep or more serious tones compared to burger cartoons

Post some of your work OP

>yfw it's Dan Harmon

To me, it appears that people who are making cartoons right now or plan to do so in the future draw all of their inspirations from anime/cartoons and cartoony video games only, and purposely block out and ignore anything that isn't a anime/cartoon or cartoony video game for the most part.
Being inspired by those two sources is fine and all, but to let it be pretty much the only sources of inspiration is just pathetic. What makes it even worse is the blatant references to what animations and games they are inspired by.
In other words, I can agree with you.

>Be storyteller
>Be woke to the fact that uwu faggots will never ever produce anything of value
>Never associate with any online "community" besides /ic/ and /loomis/
>Slowly but surely assemble drawing skills that can make an animatic that hopefully won't put your pitch to shame
>Commission real concept artist for the front page of pitch bible
>Current goal of getting animation development internship at Nickelodeon in S2018
>Receive grant to shmooze Viacom executives at a conference this January
Hope you make it out of Darkwolfland, lad.

They don't really want to do those things, they want to fantasize about doing those things. You encounter this in every field, if you get into it deep enough.

There's a lot. Search YT for "soviet animation with subtitles".

Your problem was in trying to join a community.

Artists make art, they don't dick around on social media.

Fuck man, I FEEL you.

>Be high-school me, like art.
>Every art class is filled with weebs and furfags
>Join anyway
>Everyone uses acrylic or markers, or a tablet
>Get pissed on for liking pencil
>Get works hung up in hallways, next to giant gay red wolves and moeblob shit.
>Dream of art-school dies
>Hyper-Jaded

Now I'm done with trade school, got my gunsmithing certificate, and still draw on the side.

Smartest decision I ever made was to keep art as a side-hobby. Fuck anyone who identifies as a "modern-day artist".

I drew pic related as a freshman.

That's not that good.

>Do you live in LA, NY or Vancouver? If not, move.
Immigration to the US is all but impossible, doubly so in such a line of work.

And Vancouver? I'm Canadian, don't make me laugh. Or cry.

I got pretty jaded, and dropped off. I don't think it's good, I just wanted to bump with content.

Moral of my experience: the bullshit is real, and I fucking hate most "artists". But I guess that just makes me a cynical asshole. Glad I got out when I could. I still have ideas, characters, and storylines I'd give my firstborn to see made.

>sole goal is to work in "the industry and make my own cartoons!"
What's your goal then? Because that's not a bad dream to have.

Post your work fag, you sound like a hipster who is mad that other people are having fun.

Just because you've learned to trace Hogarth doesn't make you any better than some guy doodling dicks with cat ears if he's having fun and you're posting on Sup Forums about how adult you are.

So it was too hard for you and you took an excuse to get out? Gotcha.

I've seen some amazing works in pencil, but really, unless your poor, working with a tablet give you a lot of options and tools that traditional simply can't match.

If you are determined to stay traditional there is a lot of cool thinks you can do with those markers and acrylics.

Honestly I'd probably piss on you for using pencil too, but not because you are using pencil. I'd do it because your whole post reeks of an attitude problem and I 100% guarantee that you acted like you were "better" for using pencil than the other artists and they got tired of your banter.

Sure, that's a fair statement. From the outside looking in, though, I can say that shit's fucked. I can't stand most "art" people. That's why I actively try to distance myself from the culture, which is sad. because I actually love art.

It definitely could've been an attitude problem, but I feel that.

Maybe I was a ponce. Maybe when I look back at it, I see that I wasn't as good as they were. I don't know, shit still reminds me of deviantart tier items.

>>every single time it's a bunch of weeaboo furfag going full OWO WOTS DISSZ
Let me guess, your gallery is mostly autistic shit like MLP,Pokemon and Sonic.