How would you rate the major X-Men arcs?

How would you rate the major X-Men arcs?

Who's your favorite X-Men? Least favorite?

Other urls found in this thread:

marvunapp.com/Appendix/madjimj2.htm
algodivertidohay.blogspot.mx/2017/10/1996-onslaught.html]
algodivertidohay.blogspot.mx/2017/10/1995-age-of-apocalypse.html]
algodivertidohay.blogspot.mx/2017/10/1993-fatal-attractions.html]
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Brood Saga (Cokrum) is my favorite, but I like all of Claremont up until about issue 200. After that crossovers start and focus drifts.
I can't chose a favorite, I like all lf the ANAD crew, but Storm's nipple is my favorite.

>Favorite
See pic.

>Least
Gambit.

I like all of Claremont from the Proteus Saga to Mutant Massacre.
For me the book becomes great when Banshee loses his voice (more or less around that time), and stops being so good with the resurrection of Jean, X Factor, and the crossovers.
All of Claremonts New Mutants is great too. Even better than his X-Men.

from the 90s I only really like Age of Apocalypse and the first 2 years and a half of Gen X.

From the 2000s I love Morrison's run, especially the last arc Here comes Tomorrow.
the book X-Men legacy, both Carey and Spurrier, which includes Age of X, and Gillens Utopia X Tinction team.
Messiah Complex and Necrosha were pretty good events too.

I am not a big fan of Whedon but I do like 2 characters he created, Danger and Abigail Brand.

I also dislike Gambit

best is Emma. Worst is Angel.

Brood Saga is my fav as well

Favorite arcs are Mutant Massacre, Fall of the Mutants, X-Cutioner's Song, Age of Apocalypse, and Operation: Zero Tolerance.

Age of Apocalypse is the best

Quentin is the fucking worst shit ever

Strong Guy is best Jean Grey is worst.

Whats wrong with gambit? Was he made to appeal to millenials?

I'm guessing it's because they tried super hard to make him cool.
I like him only because of his powerset and fighting style (there aren't that many X-Men who throw physical objects), but his personality is ass and his design is questionnable if unique in that he's the only character I can think of who still goes around with such a typical 90s headgear.

A fucking bacteria!

he was a 90s poochie that succeeded and wasnt sent back to his home planet
most of his fans now are "shippers" emotionally invested in the Rogue-Gambit relationship

He got popular at the right time. Being in the animated series as a regular guarantees you popularity for a long time. Jubilee and Jean Grey also get this. You can count the good stories the three of them have on your hands

I hate Age of X, but I think that's mostly because I read it at the end of a several hundred issue read through that I was really tired of at that point. The arc where the New Mutants go to limbo is pretty awful too.

I actually quite liked Decimation, though House of M was eh, and Second Coming was alright too. Other than that I'm not too fond of any of the major arcs.

My favourite X-Men are Nightcrawler, Hellion and Anole. Least favourite are probably Wolverine, Magik, Jean and Quentin.

He's a mutant thief with a mysterious past and a French accent who fights with playing cards and a bo staff and wears a trenchcoat, pink shirt and weird headgear.

Take out half of that and maybe I could read it without rolling my eyes.

It was the 90's user.

are we sure he actually can speak French and he isnt deceiving people by saying Mon Ami a lot?

>How would you rate the major X-Men arcs?
Fall of Mutants - Interesting and weird event. Uncanny in particularly almost feels like it shouldn't be an X-men story yet it works.
X-Cutioner's Song - I started reading X-men with this so call me biased but it's one of the all time greatest X-crossovers. Great twists, incredibly well executed parallel storytelling and dividing of the teams with their own subplots and goals, ended with a bang, killed of Apocalypse in a cool way for awhile and introduced several promising subplots, such as the Legacy Virus. GOAT epilogue with Xavier and Jubilee.
Inferno - Fun and cartoony.
Phalanx Covenant - Different but actually pretty likable story. Has a nice gimmick of being so unconnected.
The twelve- Hokey as hell. Pretty forgettable but props for actually coming up a half decent idea for the meaning of the twelve and making it work as a story.
Onslaught - Poorly planned event.
Mutant Massacre - Classic story. Great status quo shaker, way better than what Claremont initially planned.
Fatal Attractions- Insanely good. Organic way to introduce massive changes to several characters (Logan loses adamantium and leaves the team to appear in his solo book only, Magneto is braindead, Colossus quits and joins Acolytes)
Age if Apocalypse- You would think it was a massive mess, yet it's actually really interesting and one of the most memorable crossovers, even if it is a tad dated.
House of M - Absolute garbage
Messiah Complex - Pretty good but unfortunately lesd to a complete shitfest for th following few years.
AvX - Dumpster fire of bad ideas.

I like House of M, but then, deep down it's a rip off of Age of Apocalypse.

In one Legion changes reality by changing the past, in the other Wanda changes reality
Layla Miller is to House of M what Bishop is to AoA
The big difference is Legion creates a post apocalyptic future and Wanda creates a mutant Utopia

im still in the jrjr era. what runs after claremont (besides morrison and whedon) are actually worth reading?

>whedon
>worth reading

literally the only thing ive ever like by him was his astonishing run.

A interesting fact about The Fall of the Mutants: Orginally it was Jim Jaspers, who should have been the main villain
marvunapp.com/Appendix/madjimj2.htm

Best X-Men are Cyclops, Nightcrawler, and Moonstar. Best X-Kids are Hellion, Beak, and Surge.

The worst are Gambit and Post-Morrison Quire.

First of all, read Claremont's New Mutants if you havent, it's even better than his Uncanny X-Men. But drop the book when he stops writing it.

From the 90s you can read X-Factor when PAD begins writing, he had 2 good long runs, one in the 90s and one in the 2000s. X Factor becomes good with him, when it stops being an O5 book and becomes the Maddrox and friends book.

From the 90s you can also read Generation X until Bachalo stops doing the art, must be close to 30 issues. And Kelly's deadpool.

Read the Age of Apocalypse event for sure. I would also read Fatal Attractions.

From the 2000s read Morrison, Whedon, House of M, Decimation, X Men: the 198, House of M: Masters of Evil, PAD XFactor Messiah Complex and all that trilogy, Utopia, Dark XMen, Xmen Legacy by Carey, the Kyle Yost Xmen books, Age of X, Nation X, Gillens Uncanny Xmen, Remender's Uncanny X-Force, and consequences of Avengers vs XMen
the last thing you read should be Spurrier's XMen Legacy

I think from Morrison to AvX was the best period for xmen comics (many bad ones but also many good ones)

stuff I didnt mention above like Rise and Fall of the Shi Ar Empire is also good

Yes, Claremont had a real boner for Alan Moore's Captain Britain stuff, always trying to incorporate them into his X-men run.

I know.
I was there.
They ended.
Gambit didn't.

I think the book was perfect from Phoenix saga to Mutant Massacre. Once the crossover mania started it went downhill.

X-Statix, PAD's X-Factor and Claremont's new Mutants are great too.

Favourite is Cannonball. Least favourite are Gambit and Jubilee.

I will post the rest.

They still called us Gen Y back then.

And The Fury was going to merge with Nimrod to become the ultimate mutant killing machine.

That's the running joke. See first panel.

>No, user, Cullen Bunn is great! Better X-Writer than Gillen! You're wrong about him, you should be reading X-Men Blue!
>Bastion decides that without mutantkind he won't have a purpose so he teams up with mutants to restore mutantkind so that he can carry on his purpose, which is to destroy mutantkind and kill mutants

I trusted y'all

>hate of X
>quite liked Decimation

How?

>Favorite arcs
1 - Mutant Massacre
2 - Messiah Complex
3 - Dark Phoenix Saga
>Favorite X-Men
1 - Cyclops
2 - Wolverine
3 - Emma
I'm not sure which arc is the one I dislike the most. As for least favorite X-Men, Gambit is the one, followed very closely by Beast.

Nah, he probably speaks a garbled ass Swamp creole that is 'technically' French.

>Who's your favorite X-Men?

Magik, Dani

>Least favorite?

Kitty, Jean

Magneto was good.
Uncanny was solid, despite the art.
Blue sucks dicks.

I was specifically told that I should check out X-Men Blue, by like seven different people on Sup Forums. Still have to check out Magneto.

I liked that Decimation managed to have so moments that actually showed how badly affected some characters were by everything. Shit was falling apart and you could really feel it at times.

And as I said my image of Age of X was probably tainted by fatigue. It's squished in after and between (what felt like) an overtly long row of events and crossovers that I just wanted to be over, so when I saw it I basically went "fuck me not another one" and forced myself to read through it as fast as possible.

>Yes, Claremont had a real boner for Alan Moore's Captain Britain stuff,
Who doesn't?

Sup Forums was sucking Blue really hard and i have no clue why. It's completr garbage.

As someone who's only seen the movies and cartoons, wheres a good place to start?

Main team?
Giant-Size X-Men #1

Jubilee is in Hama's Wolverine, which is great.

This i got memed into buying the volumes. Fuck you Sup Forums i hope you rot in hell

It's your own fault.
It's the fucking O5, what did you really expect?

AoA itself is kind of a flipped DoFP.

Were they talking about the 90's blue or the modern blue? The modern one is trash, the 90's one... never read but I expect it's trash

Age of X, Phalanx Covenant and Fatal Attractions are my favorite because I'm a kid of the 90s
Jubilee, Longshot, Chamber and Cyclops are my favorites
I hate all of Morrison, Milligans (nonStatix), Aaron and Bendis' shitty kids

Definitely the modern one, like I said they explicitly referenced Cullen Bunn.

>Hating Beak

Magneto
>Least favorite?
Those from Grant Morrison era and after. Also Maggot, Faggot, whatever, nobody likes a Faggot Maggot.

Forgive me as it's been forever since I actually read a lot of X-men and I'm just now getting back into it.

>Major Arcs
From Claremont's start until Onslaught is good, I'm not sure if I like anything major after the mid-2000's or so. House of M, Messiah Complex, AvX, the first two are... on the edge between being terrible and alright for me, the last is just shit.

Bendis and Whedon are the worst. I fucking hate Bendis's writing with a passion and don't understand why anyone would like it, Whedon I understand WHY people like him and I just reject it entirely.

>Favorite X-Men
Unironically my favorite is Wolverine. He's a good guy to have as your protagonist for a book even if his hundred-year backstory steals the spotlight a lot. Nobody pretends he's smarter than the reader, he's loyal enough to pull through for his friends/family and rebellious enough to do the right thing when ordered not to, he's just got a damn good mix of attributes. Plus, he's a hairy manlet who smells and it's refreshing that a hero character is not an ideal person. Second place goes to Storm, who's just a great character as well when she's not fucking off in Wakanda. I also like Kurt and Colossus a lot but I feel they're definitely products of their time and best kept retired for the most part.

Special shout outs go to the students they have nowadays, as I love the weirder looking students like Glob and Broo and would like to see more of them. Also, Shark-Girl is hot and I hope at some point her career as an X-Man takes off.

Least Favorite is a tough pick. Kitty Pryde is definitely the most annoying under certain writers, but I would say my least favorite is probably the X-man I just don't remember, the generic face in a yellow and black jumpsuit who has some forgettable power. And no, I'm not having a jape about Forget-Me-Not or whatever his name was, but just one of several characters who look like normal people and have some generic power.

That's fucking surprising they would recommend that. I can't believe they actually traced 3D models for the people in one issue, not just having 40k tau in the background or whatever but they fucking traced poser models for the PEOPLE. What the fuck were they thinking?

>The Fury was going to merge with Nimrod to become the ultimate mutant killing machine

Have you ever read Powers, Daredevil, or Alias? I hate pretty much everything else of Bendis's I've read, but I think he does really well on small-scale solo books.

You love the Aaron-era X-kids? Gross.

Powers is terrible I hate Oeming's fucking art so much
and Alias isn't good at all, beginning of the end of Luke being cool

trips of truth
Aaron didn't understand X-men at all
his kids are literately the worst

Alias is one of the worst pieces of shit I've ever read

You hate Oeming's art? Horrendous. How are you going to enjoy Cave Carson like that?

Well, Gillen isn't that good desu

Is bryne's art suppose to be good?

No, I haven't, but I'm sure his early to mid-late work on Ultimate Spider-man is good, I've mostly read his X-men and his GOTG.

His GOTG run is what led me to blind hatred of him.

I understand how Aaron's run is viewed as sub-standard but I still had fun with it, or at least parts of it. I want to see weirder and monstrous characters in comics in general though, as a raging xenophiliac I was honestly pushing for Broo and Idie to develop further but y'know, that's pandering to my specific fetishes and not something everyone will enjoy.

If Aaron's run is so hated, is there a similar consensus for Spider-Man and the X-Men? Because I felt that was similar in tone and a pleasant mini-crossover, if not terribly original or unpredictable.

Well you're wrong.

What era?
Its Classic Tier when Terryville Austen is inking him, but there is a tendency for everyone to have jutting chins even from the start.

I didn't read SMatX because it kept more or less the same cast as WatX, and I hated more or less all of those kids.

God, thank you.

Byrne? It is good.

I thought it was okay, and I hated WatXM

Psylocke

>Least favorite?

Quire

SatXM doesn't have Idie or Quentin for starters, and is more focused on Iara, Glob, Rockslide, Ernst, No-Girl and Hellion, and gives each of them a pretty equal amount of screentime.

It's a well balanced little book, just not anything spectacular.

Well, it is better than Gillen but that doesn't mean it doesn't suck ass.

>doesn't have Idie or Quentin

Okay, I honestly might check it out, then.

>Favourite stories:
-God Loves Man Kills
-Dark Phoenix Saga
-Mutant Massacre
-Brood Saga (Cockrum)
-X-Tinction Agenda (guilty pleasure)
-Lifedeath
-Uncanny X-men #205
-Morrison until Riot at Xavier's end
-Messiah Complex

>Favourite X-Men
-Cyclops
-Storm
-Rogue
-Emma
-Nightcrawler

Least favourite:

-Prodigy
-Vulcan
-Angel (pre-Archangel)
-Maggot
-Milligan's Ice-Man

It's a fun book. Doesn't take itself particularly serious, doesn't end with half of the cast dead. It's also the source of the "I don't want to cure cancer, I want to make dinosaurs" panel

Yup, first issue at that I believe.

Sublime?

This whole time, how much nudity was actually drawn under those shadows?

Did Jim Lee actually draw Jubilee's itty bitty tits too?

possibly but they would have been inked over, so no version with the bits would exist now.

First issue at what?

But un-inked pages appear for selling all the time on the web

maybe we could hunt for them

The "I don't want to cure cancer, I want to turn people into dinosaurs" panel is in the first issue.

>grow up liking Kitty Pryde ever since I saw her in that short lived X-Men cartoon where Wolverine was Australian
>ever since Whedon she has been getting shittier and shittier

Is Marvel deliberately trying to destroy the nice things?

Yes

You can't know there aren't uncolored or uninked pages out there somewhere
Her waifu quality is directly proportional to the amount of curls in her hair

when she stops having curly hair, she stops being mah waifu

Actually I think that's from Marvel Adventures, isn't it?

Good roster.

Onslaught Saga (In Spanish)
[algodivertidohay.blogspot.mx/2017/10/1996-onslaught.html]

Age of Apocalypse (In Spanish)
[algodivertidohay.blogspot.mx/2017/10/1995-age-of-apocalypse.html]

Fatal Attractions (In Spanish)
[algodivertidohay.blogspot.mx/2017/10/1993-fatal-attractions.html]

>not wanting to hunt muties for sport
Age of X was a lot of fun, if you're an AoA fan.
It's just a what six issue redux with GOD-tier designs.
I can't think of a better Rogue look, other than maybe one with a jacket

That was an issue of Gold

WatXM is good up to and during AvX
Focused ensemble, mostly decent art.

As soon as Aaron could bring in shitty OCs, it tanked because Aaron lost the thread.

Nope, can post the page later.

Who did he bring in and why were they that bad?

Eye-boy and Shark-Girl were fine, who else was there? Idie and Quire predate his run and they were by far the most insufferable.

sharktits for one, don't remember the rest cuz for the most part, I didn't care and dropped it.
Wasn't so much they were bad, but the ensemble never got developed well.
Too many toys

sharktits is the only good one
literally Rahne but Shark, so stronger and can breath underwater, but berserker rage when she tastes blood. could totally do well in an xmen book
also, big tits

the eyeboy tier ones are the problem, like most of the cast of current Gen X.

Well yeah they were forgotten after the savage land class and weren't seen again until the pretty decent SATXM