Business strategies

What would Marvel or DC comics be like if they were run like Shounen Jump runs it's business?

Basically anthology books printed on cheap newsprint in black and white?

>Marvel and DC giving up those properties to individuals creators

>reading right to left

>mostly not have colo..... nevermind they’ll save money with that

Western comic artist would kill themself's if they had work the same ammount of hours nips do just to produce a new chapter every week all year around.

Making a single person do both art and writing and giving them a workload that leaves them maybe 5 hours of free time sounds like a bad thing.

Superman and Batman would have ended before anyone posting on this board was born

I'd be okay with a 200 page color newsprint magazine every month for $6. Sell it outside of Diamond shops and it would still make enough money to survive

They should. Only the strong survive. Bendis would die, so it would be a win win.

>Bendis would die
Quite possible, actually.

The guy who writes One Piece almost killed himself trying to meet his quota on multiple occasions.

it'd be interesting to see the overall change in profits. People don't always realized but Japanese comics actually run a deficit on their weekly sales, as cheap as they are and with all the ads they basically barely break even. The real money making tactic is that by running a weekly publication they more reliably hook people into investing in those titles, which boosts their trade paperback sales significantly, as well as all their tie-in merch sales AND their licensing deals with other companies that make more varied products in terms of merch. Basically weekly manga anthology magazines aren't even a real product in the eyes of publishers, it's a giant elaborate highstakes ad campaign, and crazy enough, it actually works at the bottom line...

that didn't work so well for Archie

No interconnected universe and power creep would be prevelant in most stories. We'd get more new stuff, but not much would change.

>no power creep

Have you never read a shounen manga before?

I feel as if the most important change has yet to be mentioned

More Waifu's

No body cares about Archie.

Reminder that One Piece alone outsells the entire USA comics industry.

In america or nation wide?

>nation wide
>america
Worldwide you absolute moron.

The entire world. Nevermind sales outside of Japan, IN Japan, the new volume of One Piece will sell as much pretty much every American comic book combined in a week and a half.

in b4 fags claim "IT'S ONLY POPULAR IN JAPAN"

Go outside your basement for once. They sell fucking One Piece toilet paper in other countries.

It doesn't help that Oda used to smoke a pack per day. Plus, the only time he spent with his wife after they got married was to have sex. He'll go home, fuck her, and then return to work.

Probably a lot more fill-in artists in general, then.

How?
The show is only decent.
the lore seems made up on the spot.
the amount of character is insufferable for 1 story.
how is it so big? just good marketing or is it something i am not seeing?

>I don't like this thing
>So how can other people like this thing!?

Are you really that stupid? Honest question.

Other people can like it I would just like to know what the appeal for those people is...

It has a lot of themes that makes it very popular in poorer nations, and plays to it's strengths: Wacky hijinks, robinhood themes, big tits, bad guys you hate who then get their comeuppance, etc

It's basically Luchador in comicbook form so I wouldn't be surprised if it has a huge latin following

they still sell at grocery stores
even if only 1 person buys it at every store, they still make a profit because how cheap the paper is

It's cool. I'm not sure what kind of answer you're expecting. You've expressed that you don't like it and that's your opinion. I'm not going to tell you that your opinion is wrong, if that's what you're fishing for. I like One Piece for reasons you disagree with. What more can I say?

I heard it's actually cheaper for American comics to use the glossy paper instead of newsprint because of the dealings they have with paper manufacturers.

Except it's popular in wealthy nations too.

So he's the rock 'n' roll star of mangaka?

I get this
maybe I should give it another go. book or show what do you suggest.

hell of a deal if true cause look at all the manga out there just paper mostly no color. and printed in such mass.

>American comic books are sold in comic book stores
>One Piece is sold in One Piece stores

such as?

The book. Watch the anime clips when you read something in the manga think "I wonder how that turned out in the anime"

definitely book because the anime, like all anime, is full of filler.

Poor folk in every country user. plus some themes are universal. Heck, America was BUILT on the attitude of WEEOHAH FUCK THE GUBMINT

China, Germany, Taiwan, Japan, Italy, France, the Netherlands, etc.

In all honesty it's not so much about the destination as it really is the journey. We know they are traveling to find the One Piece, but it's this grand voyage and the over the top adventure along the way. It almost feels like an RPG story plot playing out. You start out with the quirky energetic protagonist looking to feel out his party, and as he does each has a very unique skill. Each island or area they visit is like it's own stand alone world with a new threat looming over them. It's just a lot of fun, but admittedly not for everyone.

I just don't understand why you need to bring rich and poor into it as if the One Piece fandom is disproportionately on the poor side, when that's not true?

t. Poorfag

Either one is good until after an arc called Enies Lobby, during which the pacing of the show absolutely goes to shit as it starts bumping up against the manga. It's a shame because the music adds a lot to the atmosphere and they use it to really sell some of the cooler moments.

On the other hand Oda likes to use the covers in the manga to tell little stories about what happened to minor characters and villains after their arcs are done with and the anime people stopped adapting those, which was a mistake as it turned out some stuff that happened in them was really important. So it's safest to just read it and watch some of the movies because a few are good.

>definitely book because the anime, like all anime, is full of filler.

Bullshit. The problem in the anime is that they don't use enough filler even though the setting would let them do so with impunity. That's why they're stuck adapting half a chapter every episode.

Plus to add to what this user said, if your not already invested in the One Piece anime they are over 800 episodes now. So that can be quiet a slog to get thru.

Funfact: This store is NOT located in Japan.

Guinness Book of World Record holding comic book.

>Mugiwara Store Taiwan
>Taiwan

Arigato, Obvious-sencho.

He's right though. Batman is now like a messiah-like being that can beat every superhero because of his "preptime" because they need to make him able to keep up with other superheroes. that's power creep

It's the Harry Potter of comics. It has an interesting world with strong personalities which is also incredibly easy to digest for the average reader.

Watch One Piece Movie 9, it's a really well-animated movie, or rather, the only good movie of One Piece.

Not right in the slightest.
There are only a few stores and even Precure has its own stores in Tokyo and Osaka.

And kubo kept on working despite his health being fucking shit.

Complete with the millions and millions of dollars

In Japan.
In the US Tokyo ghoul and OPM sell more than one piece

Oda forces himself to the extreme because he loves his job too much, hell all those breaks he usually takes are rumored to be forced upon the higher-ups at Shonen Jump so the silly billy won't kill himself.

And here comes the Toonami fag. Buttmad that his edgelord shows are tanking in ratings.

He's talking about the manga, and you can see he's right in the bookscan up above. One Piece is a bigger franchise though

This seems like an awful schedule, and I don't just mean the amount of hours worked. Weekly manga are 16-20 pages, right? Maybe they wouldn't need to spend so much time on that if they didn't work until 6 in the morning and got enough sleep.

Its Japanese work life in general that stems from a long list of problems from that country, decades of a recession, low birth rate meaning no new young people to replace the old, shitty laws and practices, ect.

>The show
There's your problem. The anime is absolute unrepentant shit. Read the manga.

It would be quite different that for sure and I think it would be better.

Not necessarily. Do a monthly colored magazine that inculde all the Batman's comics, another one for Superman's comics and so on for each week for example. A series survival will depend on the trade sales.

Don't manga artists actually keep their rights to their own comic too?

But even from the perspective of an employer that only cares about profits and not employee happiness, working into the wee hours of the morning and getting too little sleep doesn't make any sense because they'll spend more time doing the same job at a lower standard. It just seems like a situation where nobody wins.

I think they have to remain with their publisher, but they get dope royalties and the publisher can't just give their comic to someone else.

I feel like that has to create a better incentive for the artists to work harder on these insane schedules. No one in America would ever agree to murder themselves by inches on a property that's not theirs and will be inevitably taken away.

Yeah.
To use Oda of One Piece as an example - he reaps in 8 digits a year.

Sadly, american businesses are far too jewish to ever give anyone fair compensation. Then they wonder why everyone puts in sub par efforts. Disgusting.

Oda is the exception, not to the rule. Also, despite the fact that you sold really well for years and made a lot of money to the magazine, once your sales slip they won't have any shame in canceling your ass.

>once your sales slip they won't have any shame in canceling your ass.
American comics don't have any shame about this either.

American publishers just gut your comic in it's infancy. Usually if it gets a lot of issues under it's belt the publisher will let the creators end it on their terms. Unless they're grubby scum that have no intention of ending a series with a strong enough following that you can phone it in and it can provide a stable paycheck.

Japanese publishers are getting more lax recently, to be fair. With the failing health of some of their top names, they've realized they can't put all their eggs in only a few baskets.

>Film Z
>Film Gold
>Not good
user, fuck you

>tfw watched the show up to the Time Skip before I got tired of the pacing
>bought the box sets of the manga and was immediately blown away by how much better it is
Why did I waste so much time

I don't know why anyone bothers watching the anime version of anything these days. Baring a few notable exceptions, granted, but if I see an anime with an interesting premise I immediately dump it and go hunting for the manga.

they don't reuse the same characters, but try to create now ones while copying the characteristics of the more succesfull runs. Like the lonely mc with no friends who get a power etc.

>Buttmad that his edgelord shows are tanking in ratings.
Chill you fucking retard.
I don't even like TG.
I'm just say that in the US both OPM and TG manga are selling better than OP.
and actually OP ratings have never reached the ratings of OPM which was always above 1.2 MILLION

As a cheap thing on the side from regular comics and as long as it's accessible outside of LCSs and at places like petrol stations and newsagencies then it'd help business. I mean currently though, if it had started out like Shonen Jump then things would've gone to shit fast.

Toei has a big golden spoiled fat baby known as Precure, Oda has royalties to One Piece while Toei has royalties to Precure. Toei neglects One Piece's quality and give their A-Team to Precure while their other franchises get the scraps.

Also recent Shonen like the Hero Academia anime (the currently manga arc has been shit and I saw the warning lights of the quality after the class moved to the cliche "School Dorms") started to take long breaks and break it down into season realizing that people really didn't like slow pacing or pointless filler.

The thing is, multiple people are behind western comics. Unlike japan where it's the main guy +few assistants.

So you basically can't procrastinate, aw :(

I'm not sure how that makes much of a difference?
Manga assistants often have specific jobs to do, like doing backgrounds, applying screen tones, drawing certain things (animals, guns, vehicles) etc.

It's less standardized than the lineart-inker-colorist-letterer combo you usually find in the Big Two, and the main artist is usually also the writer, but there aren't necessarily less people involved.

That'd be a laugh. The west couldn't handle the conditions Japanese mangakas have to undergo, period. Not even once. All things said, I'd kill for Hunter x Hunter to be a monthly series.

>tfw you have two massive hit series and your wife made sailor moon so you can get away with only working for 10 weeks out of the year

>started to take long breaks and break it down into season realizing that people really didn't like slow pacing or pointless filler.
This is the one facet of American television that Japan really needed to pick up sooner. There is no point in buying time with endless filler. You're still spending money to produce unwatchable crap. Just cut off the season and give your teams time to make the new season.

Why did it take so many years for this to become a thing in Japan?

It's not about willingness. Successful mangaka actually get paid, and they don't lose the rights to THEIR OWN FUCKING CREATION. You'd have to be the dumbest shitbag cuck on the planet to work Japanese mangaka hours on a series you don't own, won't get money for if it succeeds, and your work discarded by the next person in line when you get taken off of the product in a couple months.

I like One Piece and Gintama fillers.

>Why did it take so many years for this to become a thing in Japan?
Because breaks generally mean lower ratings than a show that runs constantly. It only really started happening now because there aren't as many free timeslot for long running tv anime nowadays, due to many being taken by stuff like card game advertisement anime (I think there are at least three long running card game anime right now, with Yugioh, Vanguard and BuddyFight. There was also Battle Spirits until recently, although I don't think they have a show right now). I'm pretty sure if that weren't happening, we'd still see most shounen jump series with large episode counts and tons of filler. Heck, the newly started Black Clover adaptation already has filler episodes, and is likely aiming to be a long running show.

>Liking the One Piece anime, the most shitily paced story ever produced by man
>Liking One Piece filler on top of that.

How do you live with yourself?

Just fine. I don't keep up to date with it and always watch a bunch at once instead of waiting a week for 1 episode. Also, I really like the music and voice acting.

There are people who literally can't read or be asked to read. These people need color and movements to draw them in.

>There are people who literally can't read or be asked to read
But... you still need to read the subtitles.
You status: retarded

>Twelve words below the screen means you can read
Subtitles are nothing compared to larger speech bubbles or even novels. Confirmed for a retard and illiterate.

Popularity polls every issue decide which series are dropped, so good luck to them

How does this work, exactly?
Like, is there a multiple-choice poll saying "which of these series are shit" and if you get too many votes you're out?

Do you seriously think reading a manga and reading a novel is the same, you uncultured swine?

I think he may be talking bullshit.

I'm telling you that reading a sentence on the bottom part of the screen isn't the same as reading a novel or all the information a character spends a minute explaining to the braindead viewers in one condensed circle.

Again, learn how to read.

One piece is garbage after the timeskip tho

>the currently manga arc has been shit
It suffers the classic problem of focusing on shit no one cares about because there's been no build up to it (really, who cares about the plague doctor fights?)

No, it's real. They have a reader survey every issue where they ask which stories you like. If a series is high in the rankings, it gets placed in the front of the magazine. If a series is low in the rankings, chances are it'll get cancelled. That isn't a thing every manga company does though, it's a Shonen Jump thing specifically.