SNAGGLEPUSS first-ever comic book series finally announced as six-issue mini

>Heavens to Murgatroyd. This January, Hanna-Barbera's classic cartoon character Snagglepuss is being revived by DC Entertainment, but Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles is anything but a strict reboot of the pink mountain lion with particularly refined sensibilities.

>The six-issue series is written by Mark Russell, who turned The Flintstones into one of the most critically acclaimed comics in recent memory, and features art by Mike Feenan. Exit Stage Left reimagines Snagglepuss as a closeted gay playwright from the south who just happens to be the hottest thing on Broadway but will he be able to stay in that role and speak out against the many social injustices happening all around him?

>Heat Vision has the two covers to the first issue by Ben Caldwell (above) and Evan "Doc" Shaner (below) and also talked to Russell about how he ended up bringing the beloved animated lion into his new position in life.

>Given your work on The Flintstones and Prez, it only feels natural for you to handle a reboot of Snagglepuss that is a social satire on mid-20th Century New York and today's society as well but at the same time, how did you end up working on Snagglepuss of all characters?

>It just kind of happened by accident. I was just tweeting funny lines I thought Snagglepuss would say, if he was Tennessee Williams some kind of Southern Gothic playwright and Marie Javins, my editor, thought they were funny and she talked to Dan [Didio, DC co-publisher] about turning that into a comic. That's how it started. It was really just funny tweets, and it just ballooned from there.

>You're obviously a fan of the classic Snagglepuss. He has this over-the-top voice that allows him to get away with saying things like, as you said, this Southern Gothic material without coming across as being too harsh. Is that how you see him as well?

Other urls found in this thread:

hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dc-reviving-hanna-barberas-snagglepuss-as-gay-playwright-1048870
twitter.com/THR/status/919956874748981248
youtube.com/watch?v=xoLCDrOJGV0
desuarchive.org/_/search/boards/co.desu.meta/filename/look mommie.png /
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>I think that's very astute. The way I write him, he's kind of an avant grade figure for the times people kind of expect him to say things that are edgy, and witty. In a way, he's allowed to breach subjects and say things in 1953 in New York that other people simply could not.

>You're able to do a similar thing in this comic. Your character is a human-size pink tiger who talks, which gives you license to say thing that are I don't want to say controversial, but you can make comments that perhaps people aren't expecting in Exit Stage Left.

>I feel like most people judge people by their hearts, by their intentions, more than what they actually say. I wanted to make Snagglepuss a heroic figure, and make him kind of lovable, so that when he does say something kind of controversial, you assume it comes from a place of dignity and love for people. It shouldn't come across as mean or acerbic.

>When you said, not acerbic or mean, my mind immediately went to Twitter, which can reward both of those things. But, at the same time, when Exit Stage Left was first announced, and especially when the preview ran earlier this year in the Suicide Squad/Banana Splits issue, it was so embraced by people online, and especially that it was so heartfelt. Was that surprising?

>I'm also glad when people get what I'm trying to do. It's such a relief when they understand that you're not trying to assassinate this character, or that they trust you to be respectful yet original and satirical with the character at the same time. It's a really delicate thing to pull off, and I'm really happy that people, so far, seem to be trusting me with that responsibility.

>I think The Flintstones earned you a lot of goodwill, and I think that's what makes people as curious and excited about Exit Stage Left as they are. It's in the Flintstones DNA to comment on modern society, that's what the original show also set out to do to a degree, but I think Exit Stage Left offers the chance for you to give voice to people who didn't necessarily have a say in society in the 1950s. Or today, even.

>I think that's right. Snagglepuss in this story is having to live a double life as a gay playwright living in New York, and he's closeted. But he has values and integrity as an artist, and he's trying to stand up for people who otherwise would be shoved under the stairs in this time of great national paranoia in the Red Scare mentality. It's very easy in a time of national catastrophe of perceived national catastrophe to throw people under the sink and forget about them, and Snagglepuss is unwilling to let them do that to people he knows and loves. He's willing to stand up for people when the rest of the country is not.

>In a lot of ways, that frees me up to say what I think about what's going on in the world now, just putting it in the context of 1953 America.

>When you've been watching what's been happening in the world, are you surprised that there are such echoes between the period you're writing about and today?

>Somebody once said that history never repeats itself, it just rhymes an awful lot. Unfortunately, there are these themes in history particularly American history that never really seem to go away. Themes like marginalizing minorities and immigrants, using fear of military threats to make people go along with abuse. These themes quieten down every now and again, but they never seem to go away, so unfortunately, when you're writing about these things, they will always be timely or relevant.

>Something you demonstrated with Flintstones, and in the Exit Stage Left preview strip, is that there's a great kindness to your work. Are you conscious of who you're speaking on behalf of with these comics? Is that something that informs the way you approach something like this?

>I don't really feel a responsibility to talk on behalf of anyone else I don't really feel that's what I'm doing, I just speak from my heart about things that matter to me. I don't worry too much about getting it right, or misrepresenting other people. I'm really just representing myself. But my political philosophy my philosophy in general is that I just want the human race to play nice with itself. To me, that's the most boring, obvious ideology a person can have, and it's amazing to me, I'm continually amazed, how controversial or edgy people think that is. To me, this should be the natural state of affairs, and isn't it weird that it's not?

>Are there times when you think, I get to put forward this philosophy, and it's through the voice of a pink gay lion?

>It's so surreal. This is never what I imagined from life, but I will totally take it. This is a dream come true I get to write whatever I can think of, and someone else have to draw it. Think of the power! The fact that it's a pink lion, or a caveman, gives me the license to say all these things and people don't really take it that personally. It's hard to get offended at something a big pink lion is saying and not feel silly about yourself.

Sauce: hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dc-reviving-hanna-barberas-snagglepuss-as-gay-playwright-1048870

Fucking finally

Hopefully the furries will keep their mouth shut

Awwwwww yeah! Time exit, stage left!

>shoved under the stairs
>throw people under the sink

never heard either of these til now

Really excited for this, hopefully Russell will be as good as he always is. The Snagglepuss back-up story in that one whatever comic was pretty good, if I'm not misremembering liking it.

By the way, if Russell was to take on a mainline DC book, what would you want it to be anons? I liked his Booster in that Flintstones Annual, so that could be it. I think he could also write a pretty fun Shazam book.

twitter.com/THR/status/919956874748981248

>those replies

It doesn't look good, folks

Pretty sure people had the same reaction to Flintstones

Stop caring.

>Look! Few idiots on twitter not realizing how good this will be!

Okay?

Also, Prez vol. 2 fucking when? You owe us DC!

Reminder that the Snagglepuss backup had furries so triggered that they couldn't fap to it that they started posting dozens of Snagglepuss redesigns that they could beat off too.

Would love to see he and Pugh on a JLI book.

Never thought i'd be legitimately hype for the Adventures of Furry Tennessee Williams, but here I am.

>Remember reading Breitbart comments
Fun times

Nonreaders talking about comics and thinking they know everything about it is cancer

>no-furry artist

I mean DC already hired a futa artist, I say being on the furry too

>Snagglepuss as a closeted gay

Huh, you know what? I guess Snagglepuss always was kind of gay.

>non comic readers getting mad or confused about comics

STOP THE PRESSES

I bet you think furries throwing a fit about Snagglepuss not being fuckable is another reason why the book won't sell.

>kind of
youtube.com/watch?v=xoLCDrOJGV0

>Bashing the art
Is the artist different from the short preview from earlier this year?
Cause that shit was great, idk what this guy is talking about.

God that was hilarious.

Literally all the fanart they had bedroom eyes and that pixar smirk too.

I think the art was slightly changed from the announcement preview (which was something like 3 pages) to the actual preview (which was 8 pages or something)

So was The Flintstones worth reading?

Yes it was.

>Is the artist different from the short preview from earlier this year?
>Cause that shit was great, idk what this guy is talking about.
Furries couldn't beat to it.

God, finally.
I was starting to get worried.

Yes.

PREZ AND FLINTSTONES FANS IN THE HOUSE

Holy shit, yes.

Like, I think some of the impact comes from the actual SHOCK that a Flinstones comic was not only good, but one of the best comics I've ever read. But even without going in blind, it is a fantastic comic.

If you're not hooked by the issue where aliens are using Earth as a Spring Break party destination, then give up.

They genuinely cannot comprehend anthropomorphic animals not being masturbation fodder, huh?

DC is actively trying not to over exert the imprints. It looked like Milestone wasnt happening for a long time and Wildstorm ony released its second book last week.

Best DC book in years.

Is this gonna end in a laffolympic crossover?

Do furries even know how embarrassing they are

Twitter is the domain of morons

You are qualified to answer your own question.

I personally love Howard Porter but some people don't

You haven't even touched the surface of what happened then, user.

twitter /vermillionclaws/status/827344244121559040

No. It switches between clotying sentimentality and fashionable cynacism, so the dullards on Sup Forums think it's "heartfelt" and "smart".

Yep. Best Big 2 comic of the year, rivalled by The Vision at Marvel

oh my goodness

>It's another "The 50's were bad, goyim" story

The Flintstones was the most fedora thing from this year that wasn't Rick and Morty.

But lackadaisy get's away with detail and having great expressions.

Will Sup Forums automatically suck the dick of anything that promises to be an edgy deconstruction of a childrens cartoon?

>furries think we want to jerk off to animal pictures with them

If it's well made then I'll gladly sick it dry.

>Edgy

We have a right wing snowflake from the 1950s in our midst?

Yeah, everyone loved Wacky Raceland and Scooby-Doo Apocalypse here.

Stop posting.

There is nothing sadder tha seeing tumblr trying to use Sup Forums memes.

If they had even the slightest bit of self-awareness, they wouldn't be furries to begin with.

That is 10x worse than any big two art. Even Henderson.

Thank god marvel and dc don't hire furry artists.

Its just liberal millenials in the age of Trump, user. Just say stuff like all my dreams are broken, its the systems fault that Im a loser, and authority figures suck, and Sup Forums will treat it as the raging voice of our generation.

His eyes did look kinda dead, it was weird.

He didn't need to become fapbait, but some slight changes would have helped.

Never ever, last I heard.

damn shame

>snagglepuss comic series
I never asked for this
>Mark Russell, who turned The Flintstones into one of the most critically acclaimed comics in recent memory
Fuck yeah

This and Ennis' Dasterly and Mutley book are what currently make the HB line worthwhile.

What's next? Magilla Gorilla as an Israeli refugee that liberal college student Ogee fights to allow him to stay?

How does that even make sense?

...I don't know, maybe?
Sounds ok.

>It's another the 50's werte bad because identity politics didn't exist yet episode

Oh boy! Haven't seen one of those since last Oscar season.

> he made up words of his own that weren't memes, I am confused and enraged

That at least won't be as cringy as seeing urban liberals exploiting nostalgia to sell a comic about working class whites learning lessons of progressivism.

Maybe pick up a history book once in awhile, son. You might actually learn something and develop better understanding of the world beyond idiotic memes.

I don't understand why this isn't reposted in every thread about social media

Yeah, because the civil rights movement didn't have any poor consequences and didn't backfire horribly, and now race relations are better than ever before.

> I don't HAVE to read something to know it's pandering crap

we hear you the first time

wow you are easily triggered

Stop posting, anytime please

desuarchive.org/_/search/boards/co.desu.meta/filename/look mommie.png /

>y-y-you're too stupid to understand its subtleties!
Is this comic attracting the Rick and Morty autistic audience?

All furries who get hired by big companies either hide their power levels well, or, believe it or not, are less perverted individuals.

>babbu finds his first reaction image

what's the point of advocating you're underage

In other words, the main audience were manchildren. Let me guess, it got good reviews from "woke journalists" but ended up selling terribly.

It's fucking snagglepuss, when does he not have bedroom eyes and the dreamworks smirk?

This looks kinda shit

I too yearn for the days of old when being a white man meant I had the legal right to oppress anyone I wanted and did not bear any consequences of my racist and sexist actions.

Speaking as someone who draws comissions, no
It's like DA on steroids, dog eat dog, it's a pretty vicious fandom

Both make me extremely uncomfortable and im a furfag myself

>dog eat dog
surely there was a better turn of phrase you could have used

That is way better tho

will you stop with the tumblr speak
we can tell which posts are yours fucko

I disagree

>YOU'RE A FUCKING WHITE MALE!

Yeah, it's so much better now that blacks are literally rioting with cops to afraid to do anything and people would rather let queers in California spread AIDS without consequence than be labelled "homophobic".

people don't want to admit they are wrong

sure, why not

lol

>liberal college students
>fighting for the rights of Israelis

No shit, the average furfag is less degenerate than the average cartoon/comicfag, animal parts nonwithstanding.

We trade in a lot of extreme fetishes in Sup Forums.

Is Sup Forums seriously defending the art to the left?
This just goes to show that Erica Henderson's error was not being progressive enough, otherwise half of Sup Forums would be defending her.

>not defending Howard Porter over some random furry artist doing le Dreamworks face

nightmare vs. hardblush.
Sorry I don't like either you could maybe fix left by not giving him eyes that look like he had a war flashback and right by letting him actually look older and not like he about to get some dick.

Meh, I see where he's coming from, but that face is too blatantly "furry" to work

>with cops to afraid to do anything

Don't be silly, they aren't afraid of shooting unarmed civilians. Especially if they're black. And AIDS is no longer deadly thanks to modern effective medication. Why should it be seen as any different from any other STD anymore?