Fucking normies [UPDATE] A-Force Edition

>still taking that Uni Superhero Comics Course

>today's presentation was on A-Force

>presenter goes through great lengths to explain the past 2 years of marvel continuity for context of A-Force

>flies over most of the class's heads

>During Q&A portion, class decides A-Force is NOT feminist because of sexualization, male artists and tokenism

The absolute state of comics in the eye of the mainstream.

AMA

>During Q&A portion, class decides A-Force is NOT feminist because of sexualization, male artists and tokenism
oh wow

>Failed Birds of Prey

>blogshit
>AMA

fuck off

A-Force was the best Secret Wars mini because Medusa dies in it.

Also after Secret Wars it featured Elsa ***ING Bloodstone and tried to a bit of the Civil War 2 mess. It surprisingly didn't suck for its agnda.

She also died in the Attilan Rising mini

Blackbolt killed her

>Uni Superhero Comics Course

A-Force was the beginning of the feminist takeover of Marvel. An all-female team that seemingly did nothing of note.

>presenter goes through great lengths to explain the past 2 years of marvel continuity for context of A-Force

.....why? As in, explain how Battle world came to be? How autistic exactly was this presenter?

>not feminist because male artists and tokenism

Care to elaborate? What arguments did they use for this?

>going through all that trouble to virtues signal a comic for your class only for them to shit all over it and call it sexist
Kek

A) Wanted to explain context of A-Force and Arcadia, followed by what happened to She-Hulk and Sister Grimm in Civil War 2

B) The artist of later volumes apparently took liberties with "the female form" and how it is portrayed in some panels. Apparently, very sexual.

As for the tokenism idk because it was the "only all female team" I guess.

In hindsight not the smartest choice, but easy credits so eh....

i still remember when this was announced and all the shill sites were MARVEL IS SO PROGRESSIVE and HEY DC, WHERE IS YOUR ALL WOMAN BOOK HUH???

then a-force flops hard, g. willow wilson leaves it after the first arc and it dies without any relevancy.

Dude I went art school and that course sounds like a useless waste of time and money.

there was an all-female X-men team that did nothing of note before A-Force

That book was alright until Kitty and Rogue left the team

tokenism=all female team???

it was almost frighteningly dull

Again, no idea. They also criticized the book for it having a mostly-white perspective

As for what I've learned in the class...you literally cannot please everyone. It's physically impossible.

Forgot to mention!

It was decided that "bickering" is a gendered term.

Can we please nuke the entirety of North America as soon as possible?

Lol. It is more like an ageist term. Bickering is something little kids do. Your class sounds like a bunch of idiots, I fucking hate millennials

>you literally cannot please everyone.
it took you this long to learn that?

they'll teach anything in college these days. It really is expensive adult daycare

Still better than A-Force or Fearless Defenders

didn't Wood try to hook up Rachel with Sublime?

I'd put A-Force and X-Men in the same league

You know I was considering moving to Canada but after reading all of your threads I think I've changed my mind.

What the fuck are even American schools?

>American
pretty sure OP is a leaf at a Leafistan school

These are Canadian

>class decides A-Force is NOT feminist because of sexualization, male artists and tokenism
Nothing is ever good enough for these sorts of people.

It's like that article that came out the other day in which a lot of "diverse" creators (some of them working for Marvel still) gave Marvel's diversity effort a letter grade, and most of them were all like "Um.... C-."

Imagine destroying your entire company and making all your fans hate you in exchange for a C- from people who will never like you even though you pay them.

they're absolutely right, for all its crowing and strutting, Marvel is still almost entirely a white man's club

Then the second volume gets fucked over with Civil War 2 having made a key member of the team a crazed predictive-justice madwoman.

>the beginning of the feminist takeover of Marvel.
That would be KSD’s run on Carol Danvers when she first became Captain Marvel.

You're taking a course on comics?
Specifically capes?

What's wrong with you?
Tell me you're at least paying for it yourself.

are you the user that is taking the course? Why haven't you posting the syllabus yet?

he did, though

>The artist of later volumes apparently took liberties with "the female form" and how it is portrayed in some panels. Apparently, very sexual.
if you mean ugly, then yes

X men can be progressive without being preachy

Pics or it didn't happened

Jesus Christ tell me you don't pay for classes

Didn't the A-force comic die midway through civil war2?

the artist change to shit was the first nail, the crossover with CWII was the last nail. It only took 2

Funny enough, I always thought of bickering as an old person term

Yeah. Those kind of people are the worst. My friend wanted to create a comic book as an example of her college thesis about graphic novels and their impact on modern culture. One of the teachers is a super feminist who didn't like the fact that she was using X-Men, Wonder Woman, She-Hulk and Starfire as examples of strong female characters because they were sexy and appealed to men. My friend tried super hard to defend her stance and some of the other teachers were with her, but that one teacher convinced everyone to make her use something else as an example. She had to completely rework her entire thesis from scratch just because one teacher didn't like ONE aspect of her entire thesis that was also containing mentions of the indie market, horror comics, the comics code, manga, the increasing sales and so on. Meanwhile, some dumb fuck showed pictures of himself naked that he took with the school camera while the lenses of said camera were covered in his semen and that was a-ok in her book. Fuck art schools, man. I'm glad I don't have to pay shit for college.

this feels like a retelling of the carved dragon vs man sucking his own dick

But it is tokenism tho

Art schools, man. People do the weirdest shit.

Why are you even discussing A-Force in the first place? There's nothing notable about it.

as in old people bicker or old people use the word bicker
also I did a quick search, just to sate my own paranoia, the origin and dictionary definition of bicker just to see if there's anything to this I just might not be privy to but no, it's just college pissants trying to feel important by putting a negative label on an arbitrary word
did they say why they considered it gendered?

Fearless Defenders existed before it did. And it wasn't even the tipping point.

They noticed that in usual superhero teams if there's a disagreement the "boys" usually fight while the "girls" argue or bicker.

I thought it was stupid too. Considering Johnny and Ben are always "bickering" in FF books

but henpecking is the gendered term for that

>People who will waste precious Uni courses reading comics
>mainstream

dont kid yourself. I'm sure 90% of those students are there because of the movies. Also a filled requirement is a filled requirement

>University Comic Course

Jesus OP how much are you paying for this shit?

Easy credits are easy credits my friend.

A-force was good and a great book if you care about women stuff. It went to shit because of one of the many shit event books.

big head mode

Superhero comics literally could only be considered feminist works by a sycophantic fanboy, full stop. The bare minimum for a work to be feminist is that it upholds the dignity and bodily autonomy of women. Superhero comics which feature superheroines must in all cases make concessions to the male readers. Usually, these concessions come in the form of appealing to the sexual fantasies of male readers with ludicrously sexualized costuming and poses. There's no way you can make libidinous gratuities like that and be considered a feminist work. What I'm saying here is that the points raised by your classmates are completely correct and you're too far up the ass of the nerd culture you love to see it.

I cringed just fucking reading this.

Do you think you can't curse here?

>Liberated female forms are sexist
3rd wave tumblr cancer pls go.

The Brian Woods book? Where Rachel dated John Sublime? The physical avatar of the sentient bacteria that makes people hate mutants?

Read Nextwave. That's all.

He probably also thinks guns are electric.

man what do they WANT? Like do they literally need to be in burkas to not be seuxalized? Fuck.

The only reason the words were censored in Nextwave is because you can't curse in a Marvel publication. And unless you can post skull and crossbones instead of your dumb asterix, you're not even actually making a reference.

People have a TON of power over your thesis. It's honestly ridiculous and abused all the time.

Can an argument not be made for style? While I agree that liberties are taken with female anatomy, same goes for the male anatomy (see Humberto Ramos, who I'll admit isn't the highest regarded name in the industry but boy does he get a lot of work). What about female comics artist like Amanda Conner who work on sexualized female characters while also attempting to empower them. What about artists who do get female anatomy totally correct, like George Perez?

We can talk about "muh male power fantasy" until the cows come home but the fact remains you can't discredit an entire genre or medium just because some artists are shit.

90% of all content is shit.

>being sexualized by the opposite gender
>violating dignity and bodily autonomy

Just because you're personally okay making this assumption doesn't mean that it's true.

Was that a blanket statement? Absolutely. Can exceptions be found? Sure. I can take issue with your individual choices, or maybe cherrypick some others who stray from the norm, but if 90% of everything is shit, 90% of comics are blatantly, obviously not feminist for sure.

no that's when women harangue men who are usually their husbands

>And unless you can post skull and crossbones instead of your dumb asterix, you're not even actually making a reference.
Don't care, I'm Astérixposting and there's nothing you can do about it.

Back when I had a comic course, I had to sit through a girls presentation on "Why Poison Ivy is an anti-hero"

But you are willing to admit that there are feminist works within the medium.

And if a series was designed outright to be feminist, and critics noted the series as feminist, doesn't that make that work feminist?

That's exactly the case with A-Force.

The thing that is baffling is that a group of students who probably have not read the work construed that the work was sexist based on a description of the series and some images.

>be in uni
>learn about feminism
>reject it
>post about it on Sup Forums

The absolute state of the internet shut-ins venturing into the real world.

Please tell me it went better than having someone just read off a Wiki synopsis of Secret Empire and calling Nick Spencer a Nazi sympathizer

I would agree with you, except I have also taken other feminist courses where the level of discourse is much MUCH more intelligent

I stopped reading it when they switched over to that god awful artist

But you didn't use the skulls, you mong.

Go cry to Hiro about it

it would actually be pretty neat if Hiro could filter swears into skulls

Hold the phone, that isn't supported anymore? I distinctively remember using them circa Nextwave coming out.

It'd be pretty funny if it did it randomly.
>Whoops, can't show this is an christian manga board.

Specifically for Sup Forums, sounds cool