What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dWVaDxMTBEU
youtube.com/watch?v=17lRjUjCvlQ
youtube.com/watch?v=QrDTMK5vCfk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>hurr durr he is your father but am yo daddy

1. The jokes just weren't very funny compared to the first (outside of Drax who is just as good)

2. The Ego planet wasn't interesting enough to set two-thirds of the film there

3. Too many character and too much plot: subplot upon subplot upon subplot and none of it got enough time

4. WAY too much pop culture shit and references and meme shit, fucking kill yourself with your David Hasselhoff cameo

>HAHA TASER FACE HAHA! ALL OF THE CHARACTERS ARE LAUGHING AT THIS FUNNY JOKE, WHY AREN'T YOU?

Nothing, you're just sore cause Suicide Squad sucked.

I liked the movie but it's very fillerish. Like literally they drag jokes on(groot looking for Yondu's fin) to kill time. The movie didn't need to be as long as it was. I also hated how the final act turned into a big CG fight fest.

It wasn't as funny as the first and the plot was a muddled mess.

It was much more character-driven, though, and that alone carried it a lot. It was great to see the characters actually evolve and get developed more.

Not much other than a couple too many jokes. The supposed pacing problems pretty much disappear on subsequent viewings.

>What went wrong?
Pretty much this:
But buck up, Buttercup! The Thor movies have been mediocre at best so far so there's a good chance that the next one won't be much better ( not that that's going to save Justice League from tanking, mind you, buy you take what you can get ).

I TOOK A POOP LMAO!!!!11

If you hate a that big of a CG fight fest you’re definitely going to hate Infinity War

CG fight fests are never good.

Do something creative instead of subjecting us to poorly rendered cartoons.

I never said they were good, I was just implying that clusterfuck of a movie is going to have a huge CG shitfest

Too many quips. takes me out of every marvel movie.

"The D*sney Formula"

They didn't know when it was time to stop being reddit

They sacrificed character for joke telling. Everyone just argued with each other the whole time. There's a difference between joking with friends and being antagonistic towards each other

That being said I still liked the movie. Really liked the aesthetic of the space worlds and stuff

it felt like a movie that forgot to take out the deleted scenes

Rocket was fucking awful
It focused too much for too long on Groot, I get it, he's cute, I don't need to watch him dance 5 fucking minutes.
Ego was kinda okay I guess, if a little boring.
Mary Poppins didn't need to die, it's just a cheap tearjerker.
Stop with the pop culture, what the FUCK IS WITH THE HOFF SHIT.

Drax was cool.

The jokes and their quality ruined this film to me.

Hlaf the jokes fell flat but even then the movie could've redeemed themselves if they had a good selection of songs.

Probably thats why Gunn introduced the Zune so he isn't restricted by 70s songs.

It's the first and only MCU movie where I mentally checked out an hour in because it was going nowhere. It felt like a 3 movie due to its aimlessness and lack of hook.

Whoops
>It felt like a 3 hour movie

And some how the first movie was more shit than the second.
Strange world we live in huh?

The script was a mess. A lot of good and interesting story beats that ultimately failed to form an engaging narrative.

That was the only joke that really fell flat for me. Unfortunately they kept calling it back over and over.

The fruit wasn't ripe.

youtube.com/watch?v=dWVaDxMTBEU

The biggest flaw is that there was no real point for the story to exist. This movie added nothing to the lore or the character development other than to exist a means for Quill to work out his mommy issues and for everyone else to have filler stories to flesh out their character so they're not stuck as one sided assholes. Lindsey Ellis does a really good job pointing out the good parts of the story, in how it's essentially a giant lesson in how to love and be loved and what the definition of "family" really is. The problem is who needs that shit from a marvel movie, especially since Logan exists and managed to address similar themes in a much more gripping, touching context.
The other issue is that the cast is split about 75% of the movie, making all the side stories feel unrelated until or unless you make the connection that each running story line has to do with family in some way.
Speaking if our over arching story, Ego doesn't feel like a goo villain. He's shitty and maniacal up until he actively starts to destroy shit, but even then it's not like this was some known, looming evil. He just appears, fucks shit up a little, then gets beaten by his own self planted kill switch (Mantis), and we're left with a more responsible Quill but not much else. Also the ending being Yondu's funeral was weird. I get they were going for the "Yondu is your daddy" thing, but if that's really your post-climatic ending sequence, that's a really weak note to end on. Oh yay, Yondu's biker gang likes him again. Gamora, Rocket and Drax are there too I guess. Big money shot, roll credits. That doesn't make you question where you go from there, but more or less question why you ended up where we're at in the first place.

The main plot, Starlord meeting his father who turn out to be a villain, is barely developped.
-Starlord meet his father and learn about him (first part of the movie)
-they throw ball
-Ego wants Starlord to conquer the universe with him, Starlord refuses and they fight (last part of the movie)

There is no development to the main plot in the middle of the movie. Instead we follow Rocket and Yondu.
Those subplots aren't uninteresting but I was waiting the whole time to see more of Ego and Starlord. And when it finally happened, it was to kick off the final fight.

Also, the humor was less effective. Tazerface isnt a good joke and Mantis and Drax were more annoying than funny.Those laughs...

It was more successful than Suicide squad but it didn't get an Oscar for makeup and costumes. I blame the make up and costume department

If anyone here says that ending with the Ravagers showing up and shooting fireworks felt genuine or earned or anything other than pure cornball schmaltz you're a complete fucking liar.

Also Rocket's """"arc""""" and his connection with Yondu took up a grand total of maybe 4 minutes and all of it was in the final act. The movie didn't even establish that Rocket had a problem or needed an arc at all for 99% of the movie, he was just a quip machine and then "YOU'RE JUST LIKE ME!" out of nowhere and then "omg he's so right" and then funeral crying.

Drax deserved more than just being the idiot comedy relief of the movie. Given that the story was about fatherhood, he should have had some input on what the fuck was going on between Ego and Quill since he was the only one of the group who was a father. We honestly needed more scenes like the one where he reminisces about his family with Mantis.

Remember that time Lex Luthor gave the government lady a jar of piss?

The script is bogged in filler and the premise doesn't given room for GotG to be what it should be; fun space adventure

The ending of the film is where Gunn actually allowed the tone to settle and he resisted the temptation to throw in quips.

The best moments are the character moments between Gamora/Nebula, Peter/Yondu, Peter/Ego, Rocket/Yondu, Drax/Mantis.

The film is at its best when it lets characters breathe. Marvel movies need more of that.

>The movie didn't even establish that Rocket had a problem or needed an arc at all for 99% of the movie,
Yeah, Rocket stealling what he was supposed to protect and then pretending not to care when everyone was angry with him at the beginning of the movie really shows that the character had no problem.

>The other issue is that the cast is split about 75% of the movie, making all the side stories feel unrelated until or unless you make the connection that each running story line has to do with family in some way.
I'll never get this complaint because Empire Strikes Back did the exact same thing with the exact same lack of action for half the movie and everyone fellates the shit out of it.

But that was treated entirely as a joke.

>comedy movie uses jokes
gee, really makes you think

the same problem of comics, Marvel giving too much power to the director

To me Drax laughing was overplayed, at first was funny, man with no sense of humor laughing at things was entertaining but him doing it in almost every scene made it old pretty quickly.

I know we're supposed to suspend belief for these movies, but when Rocket was repairing the crashed Milano with some sort of 3D printing hologram bullshit that magically repairs ANY DAMAGE, I wanted to walk out of the theater.

OH THEY JUST HAPPEN TO HAVE THIS SHIT ON HAND?

>directors having power is a bad thing
wtf kind of shilling is this?

It's called tone you fuckwit. If you want something to have a dramatic payoff like, Rocket selfishly stealing the batteries, then it needs to be treated seriously at some point. You can make jokes too but you need to tell the audience that it's important.

Rocket stealing the batteries is treated with the same degree of seriousness as Drax's chaffing nipples but then the end reveals that it's the event that's motivating his character arc.

I guess you thought they only used that tech to make fucking helmets out of thin air.

Nothing for me, it catered almost exclusively to my particular brand of weird, so I frelling loved it. But I can see why it wouldn't grab other people as much.

What, exactly, is wrong with it? you're not telling what the problem is.

Nothing really, I enjoyed it immensely and it was a success in the box office and with the critics. Just because *you* don't like something doesn't mean anything went wrong you fucking faggot.

>outer space
>thin air
choose one

The problem is he isn't batgod

How fucking autistic do you have to be to want to walk out of the theater over something so trivial?

But it is treated seriously. It's why the Sovereign attack them, it's why everyone gets pissed at Rocket and leaves him to fix the ship alone with with Groot, and it's why he has a big chip on his shoulder for half the movie.

Considering everyone else got it just fine I think the problem is you, not the tone of the movie.

You lost me. Am i being memed?

But it's not like they just pull it out of their ass for plot reasons at some point. It's a blink and you'll miss it "Oh wow, space-tech is really advanced" moment.

God i bet you're a weird dude.

>Mary Poppins didn't need to die, it's just a cheap tearjerker
You can't be serious. The narrative of the movie is about finding your family, Quill's whole plot is about his parental issues, and you think his grumpy stepdad sacrificing himself to save Quill (after Quill's biological father tried to lock him in his room and make him a battery for disagreeing with him) is just a cheap tearjerker?

Not much, it's my favourite Marvel movie to date.

>I also hated how the final act turned into a big CG fight fest.

You mean like every Marvel movie?

No, he means like every comic book movie.

>You mean like every Action movie?
ftfy

Wow, didn't think so many on Sup Forums disliked this movie. What comic movies do you think are good then?

More's the point, they were fighting a planet. How do you fight a planet in a way that's not big or full of CGI?

The first GotG
Winter Soldier
Really those are the best 2 from Marvlel

>DUDE TURDS LMAO XD
>MUH WALKMAN

Stick Kurt Russel in a big round planet suit and have Chris Pratt smack him with a stick.

Funny enough my top 3 are
GotG2
GotG
Winter Soldier

I'm with you on subsequent viewings. The first one at the theatre left me thinking, "that was fun and forgettable," but it's grown on me a lot after watching it a few times. I really started appreciating the way the music was worked into the film, it's actually better than the first.

How?
GotG wasnt bad, its just doesnt hold a candle to the first

Not the same guy, but the movie had a lot of tone issues, man

The golden people were never a real threat to the Guardians and neither were the Ravagers or Nebula, so how exactly are you supposed to take any of them seriously at any point during the movie? Everything was played for laughs until it wasn't and there was no real set-up for most of it.

>How?

Why wouldn't it? Has everything the first had plus Kurt Russel as a homicidal planet. My only complaints are that they seemed to dumb Drax down for no reason and James Gunn can't let a serious moment play without adding a joke in somewhere. I don't see how you could like the first but not the second.

Spiderman 2, Iron Man, the first two Captain America movies and maybe Guardians one?

>The golden people were never a real threat to the Guardians

They would have killed the Guardians fifteen minutes into the movie if they hadn't been saved by a literal god

>Iron Man

You know somehow I'm just not a fan of a movie that consists of 90 minutes of Robert Downey Jr adlibbing

The cartoon is WAY better than GotG 1 and 2. Yes, Marvel movies are so bad that even a meh cartoon is better

Nope.

Cribbing lines from better source material and putting it in a movie where it absolutely does not belong doesn't make for a good movie.

>The cartoon is WAY better than GotG 1 and 2

Now you're just talking shit to be as contrarian as you possibly can you disingenuous prick

I haven't watched that series, but most comics should do better on TV than in film due to being a more similar medium. Ongoing comics translate better to another serialized medium than they do to 1.5 to 3 hour blockbusters ever couple of years.

>implying
Don't act like you don't know what I was talking about when I said every action movie.

>contrarian
Nice buzzword, kid

Sorry you only watch modern bloated blockbusters. I hope to god you're at least watching more than comic book movies.

I would rather watch Suicide Squad on loop for two weeks straight than ever watch Guardians of the Quips ever again.

I've watched one episode. It's mediocrity moving along at break neck speed to cram as much shit into the absurd run time. There's nothing to it. It's high speed beige. You can not like the movies all you want but stop being retarded.

Jesus christ, stop trying to start shit. My point was that every blockbuster is a CGI shitfest, not just Marvel movies. I'm well aware that there are other movies out there.

>Mary Poppins didn't need to die, it's just a cheap tearjerker.
The director literally didn't want to kill him. He resisted the entire time in the writing process, but in the end he realised this is where Poppins needed to die. Killing him made a better movie, so he had no choice but to pull the trigger.

The cartoon has gotten better but I wouldn't go that far.

>It was more successful than Suicide squad
Was it? Where’s all the groom cosplay? The Gamora cosplay? What are the GotG comics selling these days? Do you think any casual could name Peter Quill off the top of their head? Or any character besides Groot?

Success depends on your metric. GotG 2 had a better box office take, but it also cost a bit more to make. GotG 2 was way better received by critics, and also better received by general audiences. Suicide Squad helped boost Harley Quinn's popularity and gave the people you expect to dress up as the Joker a new version to dress as, but any boost in these character's popularity is with a (relatively) small, fringe group. Jared Leto was a laughing stock during the entire production and post-release of the movie.

>I've watched one episode
>one
Retard

All the characters are better in the cartoon. These two shorts are better than both of the movies:

youtube.com/watch?v=17lRjUjCvlQ
youtube.com/watch?v=QrDTMK5vCfk

>costumes mean success

> What are the GotG comics selling these days?
about 5k below Suicide Squad

> Do you think any casual could name Peter Quill off the top of their head? Or any character besides Groot?

Do you think any character could name Floyd Lawton off the top of their head? Or any character besides Harley and Joker?

Not a huge amount. A few of the jokes fell flat on me. Otherwise it was a pretty good film.

And for that you deserve to be strapped to a chair and forced to watch Suicide Squad on loop for two weeks, force-fed and whipped with belts when you start to nod off

The entire movie was about Yondu the choices he made and the consequence.

Also the movie glorifies child traffickers.
And autistic children like mantis and drax

Its basically targets 40yr old redneck man child dads who likes 80s music

>Hurr it gets better after 15 episodes just keep watching

How about no?

>Do you think any casual could name Peter Quill off the top of their head?

Definitely. At the very least they know who Star Lord is.

I don't think you quite comprehend how popular these movies are with casuals. Honestly more people can name Yondu now than most of the Suicide Squad cast.

It lacks the heart that made the first one great imo
Joke fell flat all around
Gold people really only served to set up Adam
Jokes were really bad
The tonal shift at the end felt out of place
I just think Gunn had complete control over the first and now I think the execs got too involved in this.
There are brilliant moments in it, Yando's escape, Never brake the chain, the opening scene with Quills mom and Ego, I even thought the baby groot opening credits were good.
Its just felt all over the place

>Its basically targets 40yr old redneck man child dads

And this is different from other comic book movies with 40+ year old characters because...?