Silent Movies

>there are hundreds if not thousands of silent movies which are most likely lost forever
>in 99% of silent movies everybody on screen has been dead for decades and decades
>silent movies are stereotyped as being grainy, warped pieces of shit with terrible framerates, but actually upon release most of them looked really good (there just aren't any surviving copies of the film in its original form and the version we see is highly degraded)
>in the silent era the film industry was a truly international phenomenon unlike today, and France, Germany, Russia, and all kinds of European countries produced films which were almost as if not just as popular as American ones
>those creepy-ass cartoons which seem like borderline nightmare material today but were apparently lighthearted children's fare ~80 years go
who else finds silent movies fascinating as fuck? I don't even like them that much as films, with some notable exceptions, I just find them really captivating and interesting.

Attached: 1492283415550.jpg (2050x1274, 59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yorZRDujbd0
youtube.com/watch?v=_if61qAZ044
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There are some truly top tier silent films out there. Stuff like Joan of Arc or Sunrise are as good as anything done after them.

the Passion of Joan of Arc is one of the greatest single acting performances I've ever seen. It makes you realize that actors nowadays are for the most part absolutely shit tier at emoting with their faces.

bump

>who else finds silent movies fascinating as fuck?
are you 12?

>if you like things you're 12
take the butthurt back to Sup Forums, bud

Watch Fritz Lang's Die Nibelungen. You're fuckin welcome

he was clearly referring to how you phrased it

What does it mean to be truly international and have movies from strange countries popular

Whats the best stuff to watch on Archive.org

why are you here

You praise the filmmaker who has to instruct his audience with extreme close ups depicting what emotion they should be feeling now. Children's books are more sophisticated than that.

i was referring to how you have to be 12 if you're just discovering that silent movies aren't boring shit

>fantasy

Attached: trashcan.jpg (328x445, 30K)

how do you think he should instruct us?

Dreyer should be used in therapy session for children on the extreme end of the autistic spectrum. The attempts at emotional engagement, whether one believes it to be intentional or not (it was) via extreme close ups would be a calming form of habituating them to societal norms.

>Dreyer should be used in therapy session for children on the extreme end of the autistic spectrum.
kek

No need for the little kek at the end of your post friend, unlike the average Dreyer admirer I actually comprehend emotion without instruction.

Love me some Lon Chaney kino. Better makeup skills than modern Hollywood

Attached: Lon_Chaney_With_Makeup_Kit.jpg (1600x1302, 272K)

Movies are emotional instruction devices now. What the fuck? The closeups were about beauty not emotions.

What's wrong with extreme close ups? Making a film from close-ups was a pretty interesting idea in 1928. And what's wrong with close ups? It's used by everyone, even today.

Griffithfag everyone

it wasnt a condescending kek i genuinely found that statement to be funny

Griffith also uses a lot of close ups, so I'm not sure if it's him.

Like here.

Attached: grif.jpg (1280x720, 41K)

Any good silent era CapeShit or found footage horror ?

Feuillade made capeshit.

And you can call Mark of Zorro with Fairbanks a capeshit.

Silent Films payed greater attention to setting and background, every scene is framed like a painting.

Attached: die-nibelungen-siegfried-decla-bioscop-ag-1924-1.jpg (3000x2389, 657K)

Attached: siegfried-theredlist.jpg (3000x2348, 724K)

K I N O

Attached: siegfried-theredlist2.jpg (1600x1192, 324K)

I watched Underworld (1927) with a live orchestra playing a score. It was incredible

tfw this thread

Attached: 1110_griffith.jpg (1280x880, 279K)

The Unknown and Phantom of the Opera are my faves.

It is

>as fuck? I don't even like them that much as films, with some notable exceptions, I just find them really captivating and interestin

SIlent movies are better than normal movies. I can chill watching silent movie, its comfy.

I like fantasy silent movies, these are my favorites:

L'inferno
Faust
Haxan
Der Golem
Vampyr
Nosferatu

What you recommend me, Sup Forums?

How can one appreciate the present if one cant appreciate all that came before it. The silent era are the roots of film making. It's heritage. It's soul. To not appreciate these gifts that were pioneered by there makers is to not really understand what is to love the art. You merely then love a style. A genre, but you don't truly love movies.

Post silent kino
youtube.com/watch?v=yorZRDujbd0

the phantom carriage
orlacs hands
the man who laughs
a page of madness
the fall of the house of usher

is Metropolis overrated? It seems like the first thing people will mention when they want to prove they actually watch silent films.

yes, specially when compared to everything it came before

>the state of this board

Attached: 1519917604416.jpg (537x654, 77K)

maybe, but still worth watching for aesthetics. you should watch every silent film you have a chance to because only so many survived in decent condition and we are lucky to have them.

Metropolis isn't a silent film, retard

Attached: 1504295877716.gif (200x200, 2M)

guaranteed replies

Attached: 1505849139492.png (448x468, 194K)

>every scene is framed like an outdated medium which is what makes it so good!!
lol stop posturing no one is impressed you can waste hours out of your day watching the gus van sant of the 20s

Has anybody seen the Phantom Carriage? What was going on when, in some scenes, all of a sudden the resolution switched to an orange circle in the lower centre of the screen? Was it a technical limitation or was that the directors choice? Im pretty sure I've seen it in other silent movies as well

I watched the Criterion release if that's relevant

found the part im talking about, 41:50

youtube.com/watch?v=_if61qAZ044

its called an iris shot. those things are always intentional

The man who laughs

Attached: 39132.jpg (708x530, 103K)

thanks. I guess I'm just not used to seeing it that way, now that I look up examples it's always with a zoom or something to open/close a scenes. I assumed it was just a quirk of the restoration process

On the note of the Phantom Carriage, It was pretty funny to see the Shining door scene 60 years before the shining