So im looking up info about characters that Sup Forums seems to hate ( which means most of the newer marvel characters...

So im looking up info about characters that Sup Forums seems to hate ( which means most of the newer marvel characters introduced in the past couple of years) for a bit of a writing excersize to do on my vacation. I started with Ironheart because I knew little of her and assumed she was just an interesting idea made into two dimensional garbage by lazy writing. Then I stumbled onto this:

"In grade school, Riri had a desire to be a scientist like Mae Carol Jemison. Telling her teacher this, she was upset to learn that her teacher told her, in support, that she could grow up to be whatever she wanted. Riri had the desire of being discriminated against in an environment that is incredibly supportive. To satisfy her superiority complex, she pressured her teacher to tell her what she couldn't be so she could grow up to prove her wrong. To support Riri, the teacher spontaneously replied, Tony Stark."

Holy shit. That moment (from ironman #8) blew me away. She has major character flaws that can be worked with (according to some article about her toysoldier.wordpress.com/2017/07/02/riri-williams-marvels-precious-little-sociopath/) she seems to show signs of high functioning autism (formerly aspergers). These character traits can easily be spun into an interesting storyline culminating in her going off on her own, having earned her own book.
The point im trying to make here is why where juicy story bits like this ignored and she just became the John Paul Valley of Ironman?
Is it Bendis' fault?
Is it because of the previous two crossover events that basically kneecapped storytelling potential in newer heores to service the overall event?
Am I being delusional and should just ignore shit like this?

A character wanting to be oppresed just to bitch and whine is an intolerable narcissist. Fuck her

>an intolerable narcissist
Wasnt Stark like that at one point? Didnt he change?
I dont mean its excusable, I just think theres room for her to become something better.

It's basically because she got rushed in.

>The point im trying to make here is why where juicy story bits like this ignored and she just became the John Paul Valley of Ironman?

To compare Jean Paul Valley to Riri is a disservice to the former because people who were following the Batbooks since 1992 all the way to Knightfall the next year had an idea of Jean-Paul's character before he replaced Batman and where the conflict comes from, and how he'd be a different Batman than Bruce.

Every character can be written well. Hell, characters can just be written entirely new faults and strengths at any point in time. Black Panther didn't get his iconic run until literally decades after he was introduced.

Anybody who says that a character is inherently flawed is retarded. It's just that the writing has generally been poor recently.

>there's room for her to become better if they write her differently from how they have written her so far

I think what OP is addressing is that people will target a character and say that character sucks or that character will never be good when that's false

>Is it Bendis' fault?

It's always Bendis' fault.

I think so too, and that's why I can't get behind the "kill off all the diversity heroes" posts that someone or someones keep making on Sup Forums. The problem with Marvel is that a lot of the writing is very flat in the past few years. Even if they weren't doing diversity characters their take on classic characters isn't much to write home about either.

That's true but Marvel haven't been scouting for talent in the writing department, hiring instead diversity quota tumblrinas.
Shit can be fixed but they need to steer in the right direction now.

I want OP's comment on this panel.

Im assuming this is from The America Chavez ( or whatever her name is) book that everyone hates?
One panel out of context doesn't really mean much but I guess I can speculate?
Was this done ironically? As a joke? I havent gotten around to America because i started at Riri but I am at least interested in her back story. I hear the recent book is really weird though.

Why do so many people on Sup Forums seem to hate flawed characters? There is potential here, it's just being squandered.

That isnt being flawed. That is being insulting to the intelligence of the readership and to anyone that actually had to face that kind of crap.

It's kind of both. it's a flaw and something you really seem to hate for some reason.

>Was this done ironically? As a joke?
Nope, the writer is 100% serious both in the message and in the style. The reader is supposed to be in awe at the scene.

>that everyone hates
I like American Chavez in a so bad it's good way.

Probably because, given what I have seen of Riri, she never gets called out on anything, there are never signs she is going to, the entire comic world actually seems to be encouraging her to get worse, and we are supposed to feel that this is how things should be. There is also a pair of pre established characters that could have replaced Stark more sensibly but were passed over for Riri just because Bendis wanted her to be Ironman and she was a new rookie on his side in Civil War 2.

>the entire comic world actually seems to be encouraging her to get worse, and we are supposed to feel that this is how things should be

This.

>out of context
The context is given to you in the panel.

Yeah, good luck making Carnage a good character.
>b-but muh AXIS Meme-man
A dogshit unfunny joke character, that's all