>90% of posts about it are positive
>same thing becomes popular
>suddenly 90% of posts about it are negative

Why Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrarian
youtube.com/watch?v=Ms_WY0s_1XM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Give examples other than horse show, homestuck, and steven universe.

because everyone who was satisfied with it stops discussing it after a time, leaving only those who felt like they lost arguments or were wronged to keep harping on it until they win

Literally anything over the past 10 years other than nostalgia pandering shows that are universally hated before and after
This is actually a really good post

Give examples.

>MORE people get to know X thing
>therefore MORE people can tell if it's poorly written or not
You answered your own question, of those 90% in the first threads, they are now the 10% when MORE people are exposed to the product

Name 1 actual example.

>Anything ...other than Nostalgia pandering...

Like what? Seriously

Rick and Morty

On the flip side, people who hate something immensely when the show airs get ignored sometimes when the show stops airing for some time.

Spectacular Spider-man got shat on immensely for its art style, pushing Gwen so much, and a bunch of little gripes people wouldn't shut up about.

People forget that Star Trek TNG was shat on by its fanbase for three seasons and DS9 was never popular until after it ended.

>something comes out
>dont notice because dont give a fuck
>same thing becomes popular
>decide to check it out
>its shit

I don't think people even hate the show now. They hate the fandom sure but that's to be expected.

Like on average in an actual thread about the episode outside of shitposts the episodes usually have a positive reception except the ones that suck. Like when Rick and Jerry were together for that whole ep people talked about that civilly just fine I was in those threads.

>Sup Forums hated the OK KO trailer
>ended up liking it and talk about it frequently
>Sup Forums loathed the Neo Yokio trailer
>unironically enjoyed it despite it being universally shat on
>Sup Forums absolutely abhorred the Big Mouth trailer
>again, unironically likes it and see's it in a good light
What did Sup Forumsmblr mean by this?

you tell me mr royal we

Every thread was "lol reddit" until the "fandom" became the discussion

why are you literally retarded?

it's a troll you idiots

Sup Forums is mad because Ruck makes fun of religion and Harmon is a mega cuck

It's disheartening that Sup Forums is this way, and I remember fondly those days when Sup Forums was actually positive, when there could be discussion without things devolving into shitposts and insults... but now I guess it serves as the place you go to see the negative opinions. When the rest of the world is excited for the newest comic/cartoon, but you think it's not so great, you can count on Sup Forums to hate it.

It's not ideal, but it's something.

It's called Contrarianism. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrarian

It's the favoured worldview of teenagers everywhere since the dawn of time. Develops around the same time most people learn the basics of argument. Now while the avg. age of your typical Sup Forums poster has been rising since it began (now just under 30 IIRC) but there are still a lot of posters who are mentally still in their teens and can't break out of that mindset.

>the avg. age of your typical Sup Forums poster has been rising

>something comes out
>90% of posts about it are from shills
>same thing gets more exposure
>suddenly 90% of posts about it are negative
FTFY

>new show comes out
>some people like it, post about it a lot
>other people don't watch it, ignore it completely

>show becomes popular
>fans start "memeing" it
>fans "memeing" becomes incredibly obnoxious
>non-fans associate show and its fans with annoyance and "cancerous" content
>they post about it negatively in order to vent

And, surprise surprise, there are usually more non-fans than there are fans, so there are more negative posts. Plus, as the negative posting increases, it becomes less socially acceptable to openly like that show, so positive posts about the show stop.

Also this.

Rick and Morty
Anything MCU

Ding ding ding we have a weiner

Nobody really gave a fuck about Steven Universe until you started seeing cringey crossovers (Cuphead being a most recent victim), avatarfagging in other subjects threads, and just annoying halfwit behavior from posters that are probably underage plastering it everywhere like slipknot and green day patches on a 00'sfag's school backpack.

The "you hate it because its popular!!" posts that surround shows like SU make it even more detestable because it reeks of victim complex and assuming people are obligated to like it for some reason.

This happened to Samurai Jack.

What about Moot's old maxim of "ignore shit you don't like"?

>DS9 was never popular until after it ended.
"To boldly sit on your ass and wait till they come to you" was the kinda stuff they said about it, at least before the Defiant showed up.
at least that's what I've heard.

Also, haven't I seen this exact thread before?

Because fan(atics) like to bark and clap en mass when something new comes out regardless of quality and obviously they're the ones that are going to see it first.

That's all well and good until it's too wide-spread to ignore.
youtube.com/watch?v=Ms_WY0s_1XM

>there are people who browse Sup Forums who literally don't know moot

I fucking hate how accurate this god damn picture is. Every argument on this site boils down to this.

because whenever 4channers like something they expect it to be nothing less than perfect and uncompromising. And when it's not perfect that means the people behind it didn't give a fuck about what they created

>Something comes out
>People interested innately by premise watch it
>Their positive enjoyment of work influences others to watch it
>Show isn't as good as first group says, but because they were expecting good second group is harsher about flaws

It even works in reverse.

>People expect to hate something, view it more critically
>Second group expects to hate it, but it's not quite as bad people said so they view it with a more forgiving eye

Combine that with the fact that most shit's popularity is just a temporary thing, it's not surprising.

Sup Forumsn·trar·i·an
/kə/nˈtre(ə)rēən
noun
noun: Sup Forumsntrarian; plural noun: Sup Forumsntrarians

1. a person who opposes or rejects popular opinion, especially dealing with comics or cartoons.

relevant.

Because this morons think comics/movies/cartoons are a clubhose and nobody but they are invited.

Besides they are such a fragil losers that liking comics and sometimes know about them are the only thing that validates them and makes them feel special, which makes them even more fragil and pathetic.
My favorite part is when they call people "normies", when in reality anybody with a couple extra bucks everymonth (or knows how to google) and a little free time can be even better.

I don't know how or why you didn't use Rick and Morty as one of your non-examples.

I love horse show and thought that the recent movie was great.

Utterly true

Because we're all just Ronnie's nug-man clones.

Nah it's called everything you like is shit and you're really, really insecure. Everyone seems to hate Sup Forums but they love a lot more shit albums than hating legitimately good ones.

I can't risk being seen liking the same thing as the filthy normies or they might take my contradictorian edgelord card away!

Don't 4get, you're here 4ever.

its class conflict

no one wants to interact with people who are slow, who were most likely given their opinions by someone else

and that's a rational desire, you can't learn anything from those people

A combination of contrarian reflexes and negativity bias.
People don't usually spend as much time saying good things about something as they do pointing out flaws.
Defending a show against contrarians and trolls is pointless if you like it because you cannot convince these people while they perceive a lack of pushback as victory and feel vindicated in their pointless aggression.
So once news or content dies down, fans have nothing to talk about and only the obsessed freaks and the haters keep posting because they both have a dog in this race to see who can stomp out opposition longer.
It's just a question of motivation.
And the well-adjusted human beings lose every time.

>>something comes out
% of posts about it are positive

Shill posts don't count, OP.

Because the people who don't like it just ignore it until it becomes unavoidable.

Honestly I’m just imagining when Steven universe is finished airing it will become relatively obscure again, then it becomes popular on Sup Forums again. I’m just speculating but that would pretty hilarious

So you mean hipsters

>REAL Logan
Even captcha likes your post.

Sup Forums hates everything. They don't even like the shit they say they like.

Rick and Morty got a lot worse + got annoying fanbase. People liked good episodes from this season.
MCU movies are objectively bad and people like them for different reasons.

Because the longer a show runs, the more missed opportunities and bad decisions it accumulates.

At episode 1, the fanbase is full of wildly contradictory hopes for how it will eventually turn out. By the end, most of them will have been disappointed. The things they disliked were not one-off flukes like they hoped in the beginning, they were an intentional part of the creator's vision that the viewer didn't care for.
(this is one reason why promising shows that ended before their time are so universally loved)

Hate doesn't come from indifference, it comes from a feeling of betrayal - seeing something you had high hopes for squander its potential and rob you of what could have been.

Jack was more about people getting mad at the 24 threads up at the same time

Adding to what he said
>fandom becomes more and more vocal about it
>start making multiple threads
>[insert general cancer here]
>some people start expressing how they hate the fandom
>some people start expressing how they hate the content just because the fandom exists (even if one has no influence over your enjoyment of the other)
>shitposters see the above and false flag
This is what happened with Jack, it shows that even if the content is good it will still get shat on just for being popular
People are too autistic to do that

Because often it is only good in the early seasons, with the creative drive petering out after a couple of seasons. Since fanbases build up over time, the peak of the show's popularity often follows the start of a decline in quality. Just look at Steven Universe or Rick&Morty and see how they lose what made them good in only one or two seasons.

First, Internet is not hive mind.

Second, survivor bias. There are places where people talk about things that frustrate them. Like Sup Forums. People who always hated something become frustrated with its popularity and talk shit about it.

people can't handle diminishing returns. If something did not give them what they once had, it slowly degrades in their mind, and eventually it was never good in the first place as far as they are concerned.

>Only people discussing it are the people that have found it and enjoyed it enough to make a thread on it and then talk about it in said thread
>After the show becomes popular it is exposed to the other 90% of the population that is either ambivalent towards it or think it's fucking terrible.

Any other answer is incorrect.

Sup Forums has a tendency to reinforce negativism, especially towards generals that are relatively in favor of a particular show. We curse the hug boxes because no one is allowed safe harbor to like what we do not like.

>the horse show
You can say MLP you retard. Your not going to get banned for mentioning it

That's true bit in this case it's inaccurate because there are more answers than just a simple flat number.

Fuck I'm glad this is over.

Korra

Spbp

Every board is like that, some boards like Sup Forums actually want a game to become popular so it'll be easier to ban the game from Sup Forums

>the avg. age of your typical Sup Forums poster has been rising
Horseshit. This would be true if the community lived in a vacuum, but there's been several large influxes of new users that are often blatantly underaged. The floods of 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014, and 2016 all brought in new users that are either blatantly underaged or are even proud of it. I went to see what Sup Forums's opinion was on the upcoming Mario game, first time I'd been there in a long ass time, and there was a thread where it took them 40 posts to identify that a song from a game was fucking "Lola" by the Kinks. It's not like that's some obscure ass song, I feel like you'd have to be pretty fucking young to not get that one. Not to mention the flood of twitter memes like "Glowing eyes" "Begone thot" and "Literally the demotivational format but even lazier".

No user, if Sup Forums's average age hasn't been stagnant, it's gotten lower.

Gee, it's almost as it the more popular something gets, the more its reception increases the ratio of varied opinions.

Or do you think basic math is contrarianism, OP?

Stop acting like anonymous opinions live in a vacuum. It's what said.
If 10 people watch a show and 6 people like it while 4 people dislike it, then there's a likely chance that if 100 people watch the show that about 60 people will like it and about 40 people will dislike it. This isn't exclusive to people on an imageboard nor is it to exclusive to the internet.

Gravity Falls.
R&M.
Bojack Horseman.
The entire MCU.

Did we have a thread like this last night?

>it's an "everyone on Sup Forums is the same person" episode
Gee, it sure is fun having this thread weekly instead of monthly!

Amazing Spider-Man 2 was actually good though

Decent season 1
Meh season 2
Retarded season 3

Almost everyone agrees that Early - mid Korra was best any from after about 4 episodes into season 2 went downhill fast, and Season 3 decided fuck it if the show is going down it'll take the fanchise with it.

Also it retconned a lot of ATLA which pissed people off.

Most other examples happen due to over exposure and the fan base becoming litteral cancer spreading from thread to thread and board to board derailing topics to their cartoon.

Don’t confuse a small subset of shitters on this board with the whole board. This is why they make their own containment general threads, so they can fuck off and daisy chain each other with their horrible taste.

>Everyone I don't like is Sup Forums
What did he mean by this

Adventure Time

AT went to shit that's why it gets hate
Some of these posts are just anons trying to defend shitty cartoons

Contrarian meme (AKA appeal to popularity) needs to die.

It's cooler to be a contrarian.

Because we're all edgy contrarian

The problem is with the rest of the world, not Sup Forums.

Quality means nothing to mainstream reviewers.

Of course videogames are going to skew lower. Any media platforms are going to skew lower because their interests are drawn there.

Sup Forums has consistent 90s threads and threads where only people in their 30s would even know what the fuck is going on in there. And those threads track people in that are my fathers age, so the bell curve might be arguable, they're plenty of older people on here.