VENOM (October 5, 2018)

Is there hope?

>Based on the Ultimate Universe, where the symbiote is a biotechnology experiment gone wrong.

>Set in San Francisco and borrowing elements from the "Venom: Lethal Protector" storyline.

>Tom Hardy as Eddie Brock, a troubled journalist who bonds with the symbiote to create Venom.

>Michelle Williams as District Attorney Ann Weying, Brock's ex-wife.

>Riz Ahmed as an "Elon Musk-esque" technology magnate who owns the laboratory where the symbiote is kept.

>Jenny Slate and Reid Scott as scientists working for Ahmed's character.

>The main villain will be Kleetus Kassady, a psychotic serial killer who bonds with another symbiote to create Carnage.

>Spider-Man is not part of the story, but the door is left open for Venom to potentially appear in the movies starring Tom Holland.

>Written by Jeff Pinkner ("The Amazing Spider-Man 2"), Scott Rosenberg ("Con Air") and Kelly Marcel ("Fifty Shades of Grey").

>Directed by Ruben Flescher ("Zombieland").

>Hard R action-horror movie.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=E9AWLSywFX4
youtube.com/watch?v=0nZ6SULBtdQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

so how will they explain the spider emblem/powers? i think this film is going to confuse a lot of normies

Nope,

it’s Sony, they see something successful, in this case Deadpool and Logan, try to copy it, and fail miserably.

>>Based on the Ultimate Universe
no

>Tom Hardy as Eddie Brock

Dumped

Ultimate Venom has no emblem and I'm pretty sure he doesn't have spider powers either.

>Three writer, all of whose best credits range from mediocre to awful
>Venom has Spider-powers despite Spider-Man not being in the film.
One good casting choice does not make a good film.

Well, at least they got a big guy to play Venom this time.

>Con Air
>Anything other than pure kino.

youtube.com/watch?v=E9AWLSywFX4

youtube.com/watch?v=0nZ6SULBtdQ

>Make film about Spider-Man nemesis
>No Spider-Man
>No Spider-markings even
>make it a kid-unfriendly R rated
>give chicks absolutely no reason to show up
>nor older or casual spider-fans

This will be lucky to do Spawn money.

Did Venom's popularity hurt him worse than Spider-Man's did? It seems like no one has any actual idea what to do with the character but at least Agent Venom and Anti-Venom were pretty awesome.

No the ultimate universe is abject garbage, especially it's version of Venom

His current comics are solid

>>give chicks absolutely no reason to show up

Tom Hardy will probably be shirtless a lot.

It's easier to count the heros who haven't been shirtless or Chris Pine naked at this point.
You aren't going to get a bunch of females into the humorless 90's shitfestival by having Hardy half-naked.

>Written by Jeff Pinkner ("The Amazing Spider-Man 2"), Scott Rosenberg ("Con Air") and Kelly Marcel ("Fifty Shades of Grey").
Oh boy, nope. This may shit on big guy the same way The dark tower shat on Elba.

I really haven't read much modern Symbiote material but I've been pretty interested in Conway's Carnage. How is the solo Venom stuff?

Alrighty, who do we see playing Cletus the slack-jawed symbiote here?

If they were going to step away from the whole spider-man direct link I'm thinking taking the cripple element of Flash Venom might have been a good move.

It would add something a bit more than just "having the willpower to stop the symbiote take over", not only is that willpower needed but he'd also need to have the willpower to give up his legs any time he's too tired to control the symbiote.

It's going to be CIA and you know it. The entire movie should be Eddie becoming tactical Venom and going after Carnage with a SWAT team. That would print Sony money.

>Is there hope?
No. Creating a Venom origin story with no ties to Spider-Man is a critical mistake. Everything about Venom is linked directly to Spider-Man, from his motivations, to his abilities, to his appearance. “Leaving the door open” to later tie into Tom Holland Spider-Man makes no sense at that point. What motivation would Venom have to go after Spider-Man? What connection could they possibly have?

And here’s another problem.
>Written by Jeff Pinkner ("The Amazing Spider-Man 2")
What possessed Sony to hire this fucker AGAIN after the failure of the ASM franchise?

>Is there hope?
>Sony
>In the current year
No

of course there's hope

in fact there's now MORE hope than ever that Based Marvel will get the full rights back

Tom Hardy does not put butts in seats the way you may think it does

Costa's first 6 issues of the current run are absolute garbage. Some of the most hackneyed swill to roll out of Marvel in years. Like, Gabby Rivera's "America" bad. It gets a little better later on, basically when Cullen Bunn got involved.

Read Conway's Carnage. It's great. It's fucking fantastic, actually, as long as you like horror stories. It's almost too much Lovecraft heavy, but it's compelling and suspenseful and has great pacing and art and it fucking nails the moody tone it needs. Go buy the trades if you can find them. It's good. It's really, very good.

For you

Pinkner only did minor revisions. The brunt of the movie was written by Robert Orci and Alex Kurtzman.

Do you mean "Have Eddie Brock with no legs" or "Have the foppish little Indian kid from Homecoming play Venom".
Because I disagree with both of those proposals.

i love how much ass hurt this moving is causing, i cant fucking wait to watch this.

>b-but muh mcu!

>>make it a kid-unfriendly R rated

To be fair...Venom should only be that. He's as violent as Wolverine or Punisher, making all capeshit kid friendly was a mistake

what's Steve Buscemi up to these days?

Fuck the MCU, fuck Disney and fuck Sony. They can all burn.

Keep the Sony PlayStation division though they’re ok in my book.

Surgically attached to Adam Sandler's cock.

Which is a damn shame, because if he had never joined up with his posse he'd have made for a good actor.

A solo Venom movie only works as an R, embracing the dark anti-hero nature of Venom as a much more brutal Spider character who slaughters criminals instead of saving them, and goes into the scifi aspect of a sad broken man and his alien friend

On the other hand, Ultimate Venom sucked and Venom should only be done in relation to Spider-Man....this movie has half of the right idea and the other half wrong, it could have worked if Sony didn't fuck up ASM so badly but now that the MCU is in the mix it can never be perfect and that's the problem, trying to do things when you can't do them perfect but throwing shit at the wall to see if it sticks anyway

Everything I've heard about this movie is that it's Venom in name only. You could change the names of the characters and people wouldn't recognize it as a comic story.

>i love how much ass hurt this moving is causing, i cant fucking wait to watch this.
The average grammar and spelling of a Sony shill

Isn’t the PS4 doing well?

Speaking of which, is anyone from the MCU supervising this in any way? Saying "no you can't do that" to fit into what's established and such?

>I've never watched Boardwalk Empire: The Post

What do you care. By even implying anybody on the face of this Earth is a "Sony shill" you've outed yourself as a Disney shill, which means two things.

1. You don't read comics and only got into them because of movies and
2. You would never understand the nuances of a character like Venom, who was never "kid friendly" and catered only to prepubescent boys with a violence fetish

So, what are you even going for? Venom isn't what you're into, and you're likely not even into comics anyway. You don't want Venom in the MCU, because Venom is not Disney, and if you do want that then you're not a Venom fan because you don't get what the character is all about.

From the sounds of it, the fact that Spider-man effectively doesn't exist in this movie means Venom isn't in the MCU. And given that this is likely going to be a colossal failure, its never will be.

It's tapered off. Everyone who wanted one has one. And those who don't are either buying cheap XBox Ones cause they are shooter guys/don't care about exclusives/just want the cheaper system or are Nintendo fans buying the Switch, which is currently beating the PS4 in sales.

>this everything
>so much JUST from the bullet points alone

AMY PASCAL, WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK ARE YOU DOING, YOU RETARDED BITCH!?

>You would never understand the nuances of a character like Venom
I think having a Venom movie without Spider-Man is more than enough nuance to understand how much of a mistake this is in the first place

>By even implying anybody on the face of this Earth is a "Sony shill"
Supporting Sony's films in any fashion after the numerous and countless fuckups should be ridiculed

I pray every night for them to cancel this movie for the third time

Sony will just never learn

They really aren’t

>I think having a Venom movie without Spider-Man is more than enough nuance to understand how much of a mistake this is in the first place
I would agree but it's obvious you're arguing from a place of being shillardly to begin with

>Supporting Sony's films in any fashion after the numerous and countless fuckups should be ridiculed
I don't like Sam Raimi's Spider-Man.
Those movies were still better than any MCU/Disney movie save for Iron Man 1 and the Captain America movies, which I might add, Spider-Man's inclusion takes the third one down by like five points easily.

MCU Spider-Man is shit.

>Bane takes venom
>Tom Hardy takes venom
BANE?

>Marvel is actually making an Infinity War movie
>Sony is too stupid to see this as a chance to properly introduce Venom
How the fuck are Sony this bad at their jobs?

>lol I love this objectively retarded thing because everyone else hates it!

I’m guessing you’re also a drumpflet

The new Venom is good, it pretty much just harkens back to old school Venom comics...don't know what else you could want unless you're a Flashfag, in which case you're not a Venom fan, you're a Flash fan, and sorry but nobody cares about characters created post 90's taking up mantles of established characters. I bet some people are really salty about Sam not being Cap now too, but nobody cares and everyone is still waiting for Cho, Kamala, and Miles to just die already.

>>Hard R action-horror movie.
This has my interest.
Although horror films tend to get pretty shitty effects unless they are practical; I hope the action doesn't suffer from this.

>Aiden Gillen as Carnage
Fuck, that'd be interesting

>>Marvel is actually making an Infinity War movie
>>Sony is too stupid to see this as a chance to properly introduce Venom
>How the fuck are Sony this bad at their jobs?

Please tell me how many Venom comics you've read, and how exactly you see Venom working within the MCU kid friendly soccer mom pandering formula? Because while this movie sounds like an abortion, a MCU Venom sounds even worse to me as a fan.

The writing is bad, and the characterization is way off.

Eddie is introduced into the book going “OH BOY THIS IS MY CHANCE TO GET THE SYMBIOTE BACK, OH BOY I GOT IT BACK THIS IS THE BEST” despite spending the past several YEARS hating the Venom symbiote and all symbiotes in general.

Don’t even get me started on the dreck that was Venomverse.

A clever filmmaker can use editing to have a violent character like Venom in a PG13 movie without resorting to gore. Think Wolverine in every X-Men movie besides Logan.

Dead on Arrival

>Eddie is introduced into the book going “OH BOY THIS IS MY CHANCE TO GET THE SYMBIOTE BACK, OH BOY I GOT IT BACK THIS IS THE BEST” despite spending the past several YEARS hating the Venom symbiote and all symbiotes in general.
That characterization was way off to begin with though, it came out of nowhere and made no sense, this new Eddie is more in tune with the old Eddie

>The new Venom is good, it pretty much just harkens back to old school Venom comics
NuEddie is a quipmaster who goes on adventures with Moon Girl and feels more like a Saturday Morning cartoon than the oldschool Venom comics. I have no idea where you’re coming from, but you sound like a Marvel intern when you say the new stories are in any way positive.

It's not just about gore or graphic violence, because I agree with you, but it's about tone.

MCU does not allow true drama, darkness, or negativity of any kind....all things integral to Venom. X-Men movies were family friendly enough but they had plenty of dark and dramatic moments, they allowed darkness, the MCU does not...the MCU is not going for action movie, the MCU is going for "family movie" with a greater emphasis on comedy than anything else, and that does not mesh with Venom

Fuck off Egbert.

>the MCU is not going for action movie
What did he mean by this?

Venom has always had a silly side, and working with Moon Girl is not the first time he worked with little kids as his partners....

That being said, Venom is still brutal and has no problem pulverizing a baddie in ways Spider-Man never would. That's the charm, the duality of Eddie, he is a psychopathic violent murderer with a heart of gold.

No this is so fucked. They're just throwing the Venom brand name on something so it'll sell. Marvel/Sony couldn't just get their shit together and work together.

Venom could be so easily introduced in the MCU through all the cosmic stuff they're doing. The problem with Venom in the first movie and other adaptions was "how do we get the Venom suit without the Secret Wars?" because Peter isn't doing space stuff...

Now we're getting Infinity War and space stuff. All that needed to happen was Peter getting the Venom suit from all that. I'd use the GotG as a delivery tool, have the symbiote stuck on their ship and when Peter's exploring it he finds it and it grabs him and he just goes with it because it gives him a power upgrade against Thanos' goons.

The next Spider-Man movie would be shedding the suit, the suit finding Brock, who should have already been introduced but nnnnoo we got teen Peter again, Brock getting locked up with Cleetus, end climax with Venom and Spider-Man teaming up against Carnage.

This could have all worked out and been easily done and coordinated but Marvel and Sony managed to fuck up every single step in this story to where it can't build up anything good at all. They fucked up casting Holland. They fucked up making Peter a kid again and limiting him. Now they're fucking this up.

I'm definitely not throwing any money or support behind Disney/Sony executives cutting of Marvel of intellectual property.

Not to be a shill, but I'm pretty sure this falls 100% on Sony. They barely wanted to share Spider-man until it became clear that they needed the MCU branding to save it. I'm sure Marvel would've gladly let Venom play with the MCU, but Sony obviously wanted 100% control.

>Have the foppish little Indian kid from Homecoming play Venom".

This. Holy fuck did that casting show how little anyone working on these movies even knows or gives a shit about the characters. That was my biggest complaint, not only can that dude not be a believable "bully" but Flash's bullying was about physical strength, which leads to him being a solider, which leads to leg loss, which eventually leads to Agent Venom.

Instead of potentially setting that up. We get the retarded shallow, not-thought-out-at-all shit Disney keeps giving us.

It feels like they're just doing whatever and expecting fans to buy into it because they'll buy anything with the characters involved or so they think. Banking and marketing towards casuals was a mistake.

Jackie Earle Haley

So basically you just want Rorschach to play Rorschach again?

Well Marvel were the ones insisting on teenie popper Peter Parker. Which gimps Venom because Eddie Brock doesn't show up until later in his life.

In fact the story works only when it's about the tension building up between Peter and Brock at work at the Bugle and how the Venom symbiote, feeling bitter at Peter taps into that.

But it's horribly written. Just because Eddie Brock is Venom doesn't mean that the story is good, or that it harkens back to jack diddly shit.
Mike Costa is the worst writer to ever touch Venom. The worst. All the dialogue is stilted and broken, like someone who never read Shakespeare is desperately trying to wax Shakespearean based solely on jokes about Romeo & Juliet he vaguely remember from sitcoms. Eddie himself behaves like he has genuine multiple-personality-disorder, with repentant Eddie fighting murder-happy Eddie, with good guy Eddie poking his head in every now and then.
This is from Conway's Carnage run. Gerry Conway is second only to Lee & Ditko in terms of contributions to the Spider-Man mythos. A couple issues after this, Eddie gives up the Toxin symbiote and contemplates his future and the revelations/epiphanies of his own morality.
Then, in Costa's Venom, he necksnaps an innocent guard to steal back Venom, which he, I shit you not, calls his "Beloved". Then Eddie decides maybe killing is wrong after killing some thugs, but the symbiote tries to kill a priest for absolutely no good goddamn reason.
And this is after the edgy ranger Sasuke retard story.

It's bad enough to become part of the storytime of pain, along with US War Machine 2.0 and Trouble. It's fucking awful, and you're a shit sucking retard. Fuck you.

>Set in San Francisco and borrowing elements from the "Venom: Lethal Protector" storyline.
>Spider-Man is not part of the story, but the door is left open for Venom to potentially appear in the movies starring Tom Holland.
but what about ANTS?

High school Peter is best Peter though.

You don't have to have Peter at the Bugle for Eddie to work. There are plenty of other ways you can introduce him and foster bitterness between them.

Yeah venom is pretty funny so I thought a rated R horror comedy version could work.

it'll probably be the guy who played dexter I reckon

I feel what you're saying. I really do...
But the last couple issues have been good and remind me of the Lethal Protector days....yes, some of the writing has been shit, but if it eventually leads to decent and fun Venom stories I'm okay with it, call me shit sucking, I call it being abused...I dealt with Eddie giving up the symbiote, Gargan, and Flash, and the Space Knight retcons...nothing can harm the symbiote lore or even Eddie's story more than it has already been harmed, I'm sorry

Give me a soft reboot any day over continuing the garbage that's been going on for decades that ruined both Eddie and the symbiote, just find a way to go back and I'll ignore the rest because there is literally nothing else to do

>not only can that dude not be a believable "bully"
I gotta give them credit for one thing though, whenever Flash did his whole "lol benis" thing, I caught myself thinking "what is this, highschool?" - and lo, it is. So in that way he was written believably.

>Riz Ahmed as an "Elon Musk-esque" technology magnate who owns the laboratory where the symbiote is kept.

Assuming he's Carlton Drake or something, maybe we'll get the Life Foundation.

I believed that the "Flash" from Homecoming is a perfectly believable bully. He's just not physically imposing, which is an absolute necessity for Flash Thompson.
Flash is a meathead. A moose. He has to be big and tough, or it just isn't him. Homecoming Flash is, at least, better than the throwaway Flash from the Raimi movie.

So was Ultimate Venom just space tentacle monster powers rather than "spider powers"?

>So was Ultimate Venom just space tentacle monster powers rather than "spider powers"?
Basically. He did a bit of web slinging, but that was just imitation rather than biological memory.

>I believed that the "Flash" from Homecoming is a perfectly believable bully.
For a Disney movie bully, sure. “Penis Parker” is not something a legit bully would say if they were older than 8 years old.

Ultimate Venom wasn’t a space monster. He was a genetic bodysuit that was supposed to cure cancer.

>no Topher Grace
NOT MUH VENOM

>I've never talked to a high schooler

I like being bad
It makes me happy

That fag joker kid from Gotham could work.

OK but who plays Shriek and how often will her symbiote suit be removed just enough to show thigh and sideboob? This is a very important question.

We've all went to high school. What are you trying to say?

>Ultimate Venom is a magic bio-suit meant to curse cancer
>looks like a roided up eldritch horror

Because if I was trying to cure a deadly disease, I'd make sure it traumatized every child in attendance.

I'm saying that 16 year old would think Penis Parker is funny

I'd rather have them tease the black suit in the next avengers, this is just bloating the genre/market for no reason. Ultimate Venom wasn't even that interesting.

Well if Kids kill themselves out of extreme stress and fear, then they didn't die of cancer. Problem solved.

Venom could work in the MCU as a one off Spider-Man villain, but he couldn't work as a character who actually gets movies

MCU does not do "dark"

Biotech tentacle monster. Gotcha.

Eh

Go home, John

played one homicidal redneck, why not another

>old eddie never quipped
really hoo-ha's my other

>ultimate venom
fuck, i like the symbiote being a second character, even if it doesnt actually talk, the idea of eddie being dependant on another being was what i liked, and the mental aspect of that