Drinking and Smoking

Why are alcohol and tobacco taboo in kids' cartoons (except to preach against their use)?

Because children are retarded and copy shit they see on TV.

Pretty sure there are actual laws about promoting smoking and drinking with characters aimed at children.

Why do we keep life threatening vices away from the impressionable?

Does this count?

that looks like a screwdriver.

C'mon, that's French.

Exactly my point.

>When you turn 18 the world stops caring.
Whoa

Because why promote them in a kids show?

>When you turn 18, it's assumed you stop doing stupid shit just so random people think you're cool

I know this isn't true, but that's the idea.

It used to be cool.

jesus christ, stop whining, it's not a bad thing

you want the US to be like Malaysia, where eleven year olds smoke? that's where a culture of normalcy around smoking leads to

I smoke a pack a day

when you turn 18 you can join the military and kill people

and it shouldn't be again, it's a stupid thing that only keeps going because there's an industry

Flintstones wasn't considered for kids back in the day.

True when it first aired, but it aired later on CN with other toons.

Because with the advent of television and the end of getting two shorts, a cartoon, and the daily news before a movie, as a culture we decided cartoons are just for children for a period until the 70's. Adult-oriented western cartoons have never really been mainstream however, and are just rate one-offs or experimental. The rare exception is usually high-concept or action.

Because if its not an educational message, it could be seen as promoting their use.

I used to watch my dad smoke all the time when I was a kid and that didn't change my mind about never wanting to try a cigarette in my whole life, specially with my father telling me what a terrible idea smoking was.
No smoking in cartoons is just parents being too lazy to educate their kids and hoping TV will do it for them.

Part of this is because while they're still harmful for adults, they are a LOT more harmful towards kids, both because of their smaller weaker bodies, and the fact that they aren't expected to fully understand the consequences behind taking them.

Ahh, Winstons. The way a cigarette SHOULD taste!

Some kids pay more attention to media than their parents. That may be more true now than it ever was, actually. At any rate, even if you don't care what happens to them society still benefits from fewer people developing preventable diseases, including those that can be caused by cigarettes.

too bad he didnt warn you about faggotry

Cartoons today advocate pot use