Is it possible for a character to get ruined by bad writers/artist so badly that no amount of retconning can save them?

Is it possible for a character to get ruined by bad writers/artist so badly that no amount of retconning can save them?

I mean, it's easy to come up with characters that were either shit to begin with or that were ruined at some point, who were still "fixed" by later runs. But are there any examples of a character reaching a certain toxicity point of no return and basically getting ignored to death after a particularly bad run?

People who read comic books have short memories.

And those who write them have very long ones and are constantly resurrecting long forgotten characters.

As such, this never really happens.

Absolutely.

That was the 90’s wasn’t it?
It took years to build it all back up.

As the saying goes: Time heals all wounds.
Eventually people will forget that something went wrong and we will get a nice little story.

Nevermind that shit, post magno tits.

I'm not really familiar with Ghost Rider. What was the run that killed him?

No. It can be very difficult to take it back in the short term, but give a character a 12+ month break from any appearances and you can do pretty much whatever you want with them when they come back.

No
Just have a good writer ignore/undo the work of bad writers.

pic unrelated?

For better or worse. See; Eddie Brock

Ah, man. Little things along the way.

I think it started with The Hammer Lane bringing back Blaze as a Ghost Rider even though his story was pretty much told.

In the following ongoing Blaze even looked like the nineties Rider, using powers he never should've had like the chains and the penance stare.

Daniel Ketch Addict then ignored everything about Daniel Ketch and his connection with the Ghost Rider. Essentially he was retconned into Blaze 2.0.

A lot of other fuckups went on with Way's and Aaron's runs.
I also feel Blaze works best as a supporting character, one of the best Marvel ever thought of, but not as the main guy.

Maybe the basic idea behind all this was bringing back the Ghost Rider as he was despicted in the seventies?

This is pretty drepressing recalling everything as he was one my childhood heroes.
But that's the gist of it I guess.

Once people see Milana as Squirrel Girl she'll be a household name

I think it's a lot more difficult now in the internet age. Before a shitty story could potentially be forgotten by all but the most autistic fucks would then have had no one to talk to about it. Now people can't let things go. There would always be someone(s) popping up to remind people of the time.

That's not even saying the book couldn't be good but I think the reader base would taint it and potentially turn away other readers who buckle to peer pressure.

Let the furry die.

>SG dropped to under 10k sales
lel

You say that like she was even remotely decent before this, when she was just a one note joke character and nothing more.

Nope. Grand scheme of things none of this matters. There will be Squirrel Girls comics in 3017 and maybe they'll look back at these humble origins the same way we see pre-Morrison Animal Man.

Marvel has done so much crazy shit with Hank Pym he will literally never be portrayed as a straightforward hero in any large book ever again. He is permanently just the "crazy guy".

As another example, I don't think Peter Parker is ever going to get out of his current status quo ever again. OMD was basically surgery to remove one of the most unique elements of Spidey books (that Peter was forced to deal with long term consequences for his decisions) and he has just been bouncing from gimmick to gimmick ever since with an endless string of not-serious noncommittal girlfriends, noncommittal jobs and noncommittal lifestyle changes. Nothing in peter's life is both new and permanent.

>Is it possible for a character to get ruined by bad writers/artist so badly that no amount of retconning can save them?

No. This is why characterfags (aka most people who read capeshit, and literally all """"""people"""""" who watch live-action capeshit) are retarded.

Apparently Cyclops.

Harley Quinn?. I'm pretty sure she's beyond salvation now

squirrel girl was a meme character to begin with, nothing of value was ruined