Annihilation

Well Sup Forums what did you take out of this?

I took out the fact that Garland is a one hit wonder.

Attached: Annihilation_(film).png (220x343, 119K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bgLEhyLaRvA
youtube.com/watch?v=vdAfah15V-Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I took out that most people can't take a middle, sensible stance and need to either absolutely love something and completely hate it.

Yeah Dredd was his only good movie

why don't they give him a bigger budget?

I didn't necessarily hate the movie, but it really feels amateurish. None of the sequences surrounding any part of the team feel like they're made by a component director

BBC cuck shit

>Bigger
You meant smaller son. This only proves Garland operates like Aronofsky when he's given a budget and bites off way too much.

Why the hell was this marketed as a beautiful movie? Whoever thought that much bloom looked "pretty" should be rightfully shot.

Attached: 1480462816697.jpg (225x225, 8K)

I liked Ex Machina but this was just average. Some of the movie looked good but some of it looked bad (special mention for the glowing observation post and the professor puking rainbows). Characters acted strange sometimes and the overall story wasn't terribly interesting.

Attached: WTF.jpg (849x353, 55K)

it was ok

Oh shit, I didn't know this was the Ex Machina guy.

I know it's an adaptation, but that's still a pretty huge, disappointing step backwards after such a strong and brilliant directorial debut.

Honestly it's not the biggest disappointment, it more just shows how he functions as a director with more constraints placed on him

oh boy, another pleb thread

Read the books, at least the first one.

Having it so that the Alien copy lena is the survivor and original lena blows herself up would be a much better ending...
basically their love is reborn in another body. pure pottery.

Attached: Spurdo the pop scientist.jpg (457x752, 52K)

My nigga.

I thought that's what happened and the copy just lied?

Have you watched the movie?

The ending is supposed to be ambiguous but think about how confused Dale was when he reterned, do you think doppleganger Lena would be able to spin a tale so convincingly?

anyways iirc the directors orignal intention was to make it completely ambiguous( it would only show one lena leaving the lighthouse without clarifying which one as it burns down )

Most of the people in here believe what they are seeing are the literal representation of facts and not Hershlag's version, as the narrator of the story.
I mostly believe them, I don't think the movie is as clever as I gave initial credit.

Having the copy survive fixes almost all of the plotholes.

>dale

Attached: 133893337783.jpg (400x300, 11K)

what plotholes?

I'm at work right now and can't check, but didn't it end showing her eyes glinting all wonky like her husband's copy?

yes, but that could also be due to the shimmer mutating her dna

>produce a turd
>foist it on shitflix

thisis supposed to be ambiguous and spoopy

youtube.com/watch?v=bgLEhyLaRvA

eh

How Kane's copy got out of the Shimmer and appeared into Lena's house?
How does Lena's mutations simply stop and instead of mutating her to death turns her into some sort of alien?
How does random uncontrolled mutation that acts literally like cancer just changes her to make her like Kane's copy instead of acting like how it's been established with every other character so far?
How did Lena got out of the Shimmer if she was in the center of it and had no more provisions to track all the way back?
If the Shimmer ended because Lena's copy "refracted" a phosphorus grenade into itself (which makes no sense) and the copy was connected to the entire manifestation of the phenomena then why didn't Kane's copy also die?

>Lena's mutations simply stop
maybe they dont
> why didn't Kane's copy also die?
f-fuck you're right

I got berated in a thread for having read the books. Sup Forums is full of illiterate plebs.

>If the Shimmer ended because Lena's copy "refracted" a phosphorus grenade into itself (which makes no sense) and the copy was connected to the entire manifestation of the phenomena then why didn't Kane's copy also die?
this didn't happen, only the stuff in the lighthouse and the glass trees burned

The Shimmer itself ended though, the scientist said they sent a team there and they were able to scout the lighthouse and get back no problem.

MANBEARPIG

Attached: gore1.jpg (982x1152, 270K)

yes but that doesn't mean all the things in it died

It's an embarrassing train wreck. You move the pretentious critics and soy boy critics (muh feminism, muh """"""smart""""" sci-fi) and this would be rightfully derided as the disaster the studio was aware that it was.

The book was mediocre to begin with, but this adaptation is even worse. It's a fucking mess of a film, with terrible writing, directing and performances, and I can't believe anyone is confused about why this was shat on to Netflix. I mean, that close up of Natalie's eye at the end - that was fucking sub-Outer Limits tier cheese.

I've honestly got no idea what Garland was fucking thinking;

>Let me cut out crucial plot elements and even fundamental characters arcs from the book...so I can have Natalie fuck a black guy because...reasons.

I'm usually benign on stuff I don't like (mainly because I now avoid watching stuff I know I'll hate), but this was a shockingly bad movie. It's one of those films that I do have an "extreme" opinion on because of certain expectations (Garland, the cast and okay source material) and because it's genuinely awful, not simply "meh".

I watched it on the same day as Shot Caller. Shot Caller is like the definition of a "meh" movie. It's something I couldn't really be bothered discussing. Whereas this is a whole other level of embarassing.

Garland has always had a patchy run with adaptations and film work in general, but after Ex Machina, it seemed like if he was in charge of a project, it could be fantastic.

Although I guess it should be noted that he made it clear that it wasn't his idea to adapt this book. The project was brought to him by Portman and Scott Rudin.

The first 3/4 was so cheesy and things didn't piece together, minor holes in the science behind the world. I loved the lighthouse sequence.

All of these questions are answered in the books - the problem is that he fundamentally changed the story, so that none of these problems make sense in the universe of the film.

People for instance ask about the various ways Arex X (there is no "shimmer" in the book) could have been scouted - why not toss in cameras, etc.

In the book it's made clear no electronics work inside Area X. You can only enter through an extremely tiny portal, and you need to be hypnotized and unaware you're entering otherwise you can't enter (hence the time loss they see at the beginning of the film, that is never explained or talked about). A lot of this explains who and why the people on the expidition are.

He took an average book, throughout nearly everything except the very broad concept, and made a bad movie. It's a real shame, because this SHOULD have been a case of a movie being better than it's source material. I mean he removed the entire central plot/mystery and replaced it with that comical interprative dance number and Giger homage at the end. It's so odd.

It seems that no one really understands that Garland was very obviously trying to make a restart of their relationship, and the lighthouse/shimmer are all maybe just a metaphor even in their minds. Forgiveness seems to be a crucial theme in the last scenes. In the first bit he has obviously forgiven her (hence the I don't know stuff) and then at the end she embraces him after saying I don't know.

nice reddit spacing, brainlet

Middlebrow pleb trash like his last flick

I didn't really like it, for its plothole;
The biggest history in humanity's history and yet they apparently send one crew of probably 6 dudes or so, followed by a crew of 4 wimenz

Why do faggots sperg out over this?

That's not even "reddit spacing", which is a meme to begin with.

Why do you care so much you autistic cunt the movie was fine get over it

It, exactly like Ex Machina, is decent but extremely overrated

Because the entire point of the space virus was to find the ultimate lifeform on that planet. duplicate it and then procreate. It had served its function and destroyed itself using Lena's self destructiveness. The duplicate male and the infected female are enough to carry the cancer/infection/whatever you want to call it onwards.

Yeah let's volunteer for an unknown thing that looks like it killed everyone who went in. All males to.

Watch the video then read the comments below it. They are more intelligent that posters on this shitty board.

youtube.com/watch?v=vdAfah15V-Y

Couldn't get the BBC scene out of your head could you? Bet you're still thinking about it.

Attached: MV5BNTg1.jpg (1600x670, 169K)