I think this show might have the wrong idea about Scrooge. He's not an adventurer for adventure's sake...

I think this show might have the wrong idea about Scrooge. He's not an adventurer for adventure's sake. Every action he takes is governed by his desire to

A) acquire money, or
B) keep the money he already has.

Has there been a single DuckTales episode dedicated to either one yet? Not that I recall.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XjuluT8W16k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I think OP might have the wrong idea about Scrooge.

I think you are nitpicking about a popular thing because
A) you're bored, and
B) (you) want easy replies

I don't mind wealth acquirement taking a back seat to adventure. Treasure hunting can always be done on the side, after all. Just as long as there IS adventure, I'm good with this Scrooge.

As long as Scrooge is still stingy with some spendings and swims through money, it's Scrooge.
He can be a total arsehole like in Don Rosa-comic stories stuck in a 1950-60 setting, or a nice grampa in the old Ducktales cartoon in the late 80s, or a bored ultra-trillionaire who is seeking some meaning in his life after having become the richest duck in the world in 2k17 and secluding himself from ever interacting with the world's most famous angriest duck in the world.

I don't recognize him but the artstyle look familiar. Isn't he a background character from The Webby Show?

I do hope so. Nobody needs old white men anymore.

Or maybe it's just an undercover ducktales general thread.

The problem with Nu-Scrooge is he doesn't care ENOUGH about the money. The miserly aspects of old Scrooge were strangely endearing as well as gave him room for character growth, and a source of conflict with other cast members. Now he's just chill uncle richman.

Probably the case. Sometime this hurts a thread more that helps, though.

Requesting Huey, Dewey, and Louie tauntingly waving their butts at the viewer.

Weren't you in the other thread?
I'm starting to worry user

I'm just going to drop this page from "A Letter From Home" by Don Rosa. Still gives me the feels whenever I read it.

As much as greed is something that people see as a flaw in Scrooge, his pride is actually much greater. It's his pride that really holds him back from reconciling with his sister all those years, leading into this scene where he finally lays it all out.

>you're last chance

This isn't the barks comics, nor the rosa comics nor ducktales. Instead you get The Webby Show for nostaglic numale manbabies.

Here's hoping that in a few months this will no longer be a viable shitpost. But given how Pickle Rick threads are still going strong I doubt this one will vanish any time soon.

Damn, beat me to it. Under an environment like Sup Forums, I doubt it will go away. Let's just hope the next adventure focused episode we get delivers so they'll have less of an excuse to push this meme.

honestly downplaying Scrooge's miserly aspects was a good idea, it just doesn't resonate well in this day and age like it did when Scrooge was a newer character, heck one could argue even back in the 80's with the first version of Ducktales that they realized that too, although they handled it slightly differently, mostly by reducing the negative aspects of Scrooge's cheapness and focusing primarily on the sillier parts of it

that's part of a looong development.

Scrooge had changed from a vaudeville capitalist parody to a rich adventurer within Bark's work and later comics only continued that

>"DT2017 is m-made by fans of the comic!!!!!"
>american Sup Forums users -2017

Wasn't there a story where Scrooge becomes severely depressed, even sick, because he hadn't had a good adventure in a while? Scroge may be a hard worker, but even he can get bored. Sometimes he just needs to stretch his legs.

What are the best Old Ducktales episodes

I'd honestly like to see Scrooge go to a costco like place for lunch and eat only free samples.

Scrooge is an old fossil from an older era where people got their own hands dirty at earning their fortunes, or really had to go on an adventure to find new ways how to become rich.
But in the present age, his trillion dollar business empire works efficiently and generates constant huge amount of money even if he just laid back in his mansion all day.
He did help make the world a better place by building up infrastructures to expand his factories and allow people to build cities or find employment. But that also means that there's nothing left to do in those areas, since the process improves itself by all the workers and managers managing his enterprise.

So yeah, now everything that is left to Scrooge is some silly adventure hobby.

He IS and adventurer for adventure's sake. He loves his money so much because it gives him all his cherished memories

>So yeah, now everything that is left to Scrooge is some silly adventure hobby.
Yep. His businesses is making money much faster than he could via treasure hunting, so now treasure hunting is done because he wants to, not because he needs to.

>He IS and adventurer for adventure's sake. He loves his money so much because it gives him all his cherished memories
Much like with the cartoon moneybin in the original series, where he recognises every coin in that pile and where he earned it. For the original cartoon, the money is personal and not just wealth. He had his first dime, but also all the money her personally earned. And in his current wealth it is very hard to personally earn anything anymore. Other people now just give him money as employees, and it isn't the same.

plus it's a symbol of his hard work

>his name is scrooge mcduck

>he isn't a scrooge

ONE

FUCKING

JOB

Making Scrooge care more about money than about adventuring for the sake of adventuring would only work if he had a rival who is really really close to his wealth.
Scrooge made it clear in the episode Escape To/From Atlantis that his financial assets surpasses Glomgold too much.
So the latter's only way to ever earn the title of richest duck in the world is to try to kill Scrooge.

>it just doesn't resonate well in this day and age like it did when Scrooge was a newer character
Bullshit. It was always a double edged sword for good and bad. These new writers lack balls to show real character flaws and that pandery "please love our characters" attitude shoots them in the foot.

shut up shitlord

>Being this assblasted from being called out on his mistakes by the supreme authority on the topic in question

Yeah, the old Scrooge liked to acquire riches and protect his stash in his own way instead of just investing and paying for protection. In the new show it was stated from the beginning that the focus was how Scrooge, Della and Donald are legendary adventurers, with earning riches being a eventual secondary goal.

My impression is that he's primarily motivated to be a good example to the children in this show.

>there's no problem with people enjoying the show for what it is

>supreme authority on the topic
Well, somebody's a fanboy

Never read that before. Thanks, man.

>>there's no problem with people enjoying the show for what it is
It's clearly a blend of old, new, and original. I'll admit that I personally never really wanted a direct adaptation of the comics. Those stories already exist to me, and I can go back and read them whenever I want. I'm looking for a new experience in DT17, even if it diverges more from the source material. And so far, the results have been...average, I guess. Hoping for much more, but still fun enough to watch out of more than mere curiosity.

Are you absolutely retarded? He IS the authority of the topic.
KEK. You got so assblasted.

Whatever you say, man. But keep in mind that just because you're the authority on a certain property doesn't mean you're always right. George Lucas is the authority on Star Wars, even more so because he didn't inherit it. But no one would ever say that everything he's said and done has been right.

Really? I always had the impression that Scrooge did for the exact same reasons in the comics as in the show, it's mostly the specific details of his personality, like his greed isn't as punctuated in the show.

>someone uses "nu" unironically instead of "new"

degenerate speak right there

Don Rosa is unanimously considered to be always right about these characters though, since he has defined their personalities for several decades, has never written a bad story, has won a truckload of awards, and his work is required reading for everyone working on the new Ducktales show.

I never did trust those Greeks

He loves adventure in the comics as well, but he loves it as a method of reaching his goal of making more money. Like someone who really enjoys their job, but still wouldn't do it if it didn't make them any money.

>who gives a shit?-Carl Barks, probably.

Not that guy but just because he wrote the stories, doesn't mean he decides how they should be interpreted. An author might have certain intentions when writing a story but interpretation is solely on the reader, even if they differ from the authors.

Is his vision really universally upheld, though? I was under the impression that while they took a lot from Barks and Rosa, European writers also had their own take on things too. Some of which Rosa wasn't particularly fond of, if I understand correctly. Where do they fit in?

Doesn't he still do that in the show? I haven't watched much of it but in the pilot he went and made money from the Jewel of Atlantis after he recovered it. I haven't seen any evidence to the contrary.

Why is he addressing himself in third person?
Never mind that, the trips now being unique personalities alone removes any ties with previous Duck Tales.
I think people now are more interested in how it ties in with Darkwing Duck, Tale Spin and Goof Troop.
I like the fact that Scrooge is apparently avoiding Cape Suzette for very obvious reasons.

It's not him.

For some reason I though Don Rosa was dead. This has made me happy.

Do you think the legally blind 70 year old handles his own social media?

He is?

Yup also the reason he stopped doing comic

It's so weird to me that people get so assblasted by the statement "the new DuckTales is nothing like the comics". That in itself is not a judgement on its quality, it's just a statement of fact. If you like the new show who gives a shit?

youtube.com/watch?v=XjuluT8W16k

>the supreme authority on the topic in question
That'd be the Disney company my dude.

From what I've observed, most don't seem to mind this statement. It's usually when someone says the new Ducktales is shit *because* it's nothing like the comics that people tend to get annoyed.

Stating it as a simple fact isn't a problem. It's people getting assblasted that it's not like the comics that's a problem. If you want that then just read the comics.

>Scrooge
>Not an old, broken man who let his pride get in the way of his having a family
Someone didn't read Dickens.

In the last episode he just wanted to see some bug on a mountain or sonething, obe of those "only happens every few decades" thingd

He's not only in it for the adventure and is obviously motivated by his thirst for delicious dosh but he has been shown many times in the comics to enjoy them very much. It brings him back to his youth, where every achievement was earned through blood, sweat and tears and he didn't just rot away in an office.

…is he talking about himself in the third person like Groo or Cerebus or is he referring to a different guy named Don and please don't kill me for asking

>blind 70 year old
>"he has seen the pilot"

Hmm

Legally blind doesn't mean literally completely blind you dumb cunt

That last one is actually a good opinion.

I thought so too.

how can he see well enough to draw but be too blind to shitpost on twitter?

That's like having Parkinson's so bad you can't safely use a pair of scissors but your job involves cutting down trees with a chainsaw

>how can he see well enough to draw

He fucking can't. That's the entire point. Are you retarded or just American?

Someone is running Don Rosa's twitter account for him, obviously. You think a nearly blind old man can use Twitter?

It's almost certainly Jano Rohleder. He seems to manage most Don Rosa internet accounts.

Don't be mean dude. He seem able of drawing on pics like these, but I guess it's the habit.

Damn. What's the name of that story? Source?

ouch

If Scrooge is so miserly why does he live in a giant fucking mansion and own a submarine and employ a full-time pilot and all kinds of other extravagant shit? Wouldn't being miserly mean he just lives in a normal big house and maybe has a maid and that's it? A miser wouldn't waste money on planes and jetpacks and shit.

Why is he being butthurt about the new Ducktales?

Damn those are some tasty looking chiles.

Since when does Scrooge have a pilot?

Knowing Scrooge, he probably got all that stuff dirt cheap somehow. Like the mansion being some old run down place he bought and personally rebuilt with his bare hands.

Scrooge exploiting the shit out of his employees is a plot point in the comics. His secretary and butler have frequent breakdowns.

Because people don't remember his comics. They only remember Ducktales, which he had nothing to do with.

Also I think Disney screwed with him money wise. Wouldn't doubt it.

My goodness, it's almost like the modern sensibilities of a kids network doesn't want kids to identify with a ruthless capitalist.

Perish the thought.

Then where does the meme he made his money "square" came from? Exploiting and abusing your employees is the opposite of being an honest businessman.

>If Scrooge is so miserly why does he live in a giant fucking mansion and own a submarine and employ a full-time pilot and all kinds of other extravagant shit? Wouldn't being miserly mean he just lives in a normal big house and maybe has a maid and that's it? A miser wouldn't waste money on planes and jetpacks and shit.

Blame DuckTales, my man. In the comics, Scrooge is a total cheapskate.

Being a skinflint slave driver isn't dishonest. If his nephews ever wanted to quit, they could.

Putting aside the fact that the person who wrote that isn't Don and Don railed against the original Ducktales a lot (or at least the idea it had anything to do with the comics), the new show is obviously not supposed to be trying to be either any of the comics or the original show, but it's own thing. HDL are the most obvious, blatant example of departure, they are basically new creations. So is Gyro, so are a lot of the other characters. Other duck comic writers around the world also depart from the original stuff, sometimes pretty wildly, it's okay. These comics started in, what, the 30s or 40s, if you had to slavishly stick to only Barks' take, ground, and characters it may have gotten stale by now since there are tons of different series going on all the time all over the world too.

As discussed in the other thread he was butthurt about the original Ducktales. I mean him shittalking DT is decades old. I sympathize with him if it's because Disney fucked him over though.

>I've always looked at the ducks as caricatured human beings. In rereading the stories, I realized that I had gotten kind of deep in some of them: there was philosophy in there that I hadn't realized I was putting in. It was an added feature that went along with the stories. I think a lot of the philosophy in my stories is conservative—conservative in the sense that I feel our civilization peaked around 1910. Since then we've been going downhill. Much of the older culture had basic qualities that the new stuff we keep hatching can never match. Look at the magnificent cathedrals and palaces that were built. Nobody can build that sort of thing nowadays. Also, I believe that we should preserve many old ideals and methods of working: honor, honesty, allowing other people to believe in their own ideas, not trying to force everyone into one form. The thing I have against the present political system is that it tries to make everybody exactly alike. We should have a million different patterns. They say that wealthy people like the Vanderbilts and Rockefellers are sinful because they accumulated fortunes by exploiting the poor. I feel that everybody should be able to rise as high as they can or want to, provided they don't kill anybody or actually oppress other people on the way up. A little exploitation is something you come by in nature. We see it in the pecking order of animals—everybody has to be exploited or to exploit someone else to a certain extent. I don't resent those things.

>everybody has to be exploited

I've noticed time and time again that people only say this until somebody exploits them, then they get all pissed off about it and it's not okay all of a sudden. Also, he talks about the pecking order of animals, but a big part of that involves animals killing and sometimes killing and eating each other. If what makes sense for animals = what makes sense for humans, then me killing some family across town and eating their young is also okey-dokey and like animals we shouldn't have any "laws" but should just do ever shifting fighting and killing each other.

>until somebody exploits them
user, Barks was basically exploited by Disney for years.

>user, Barks was basically exploited by Disney for years.
Right, and he quit because of it and was going to leave the whole thing behind, and only fell into the comics stuff because he needed the money, so he wasn't okay with that. Well, maybe this was him rationlizing getting screwed over by Disney so hard but still, despite all the admiration he gets, not being as well known as Disney, an Edison and Tesla kind of thing.