Is there a constant temperature of space?

Since our world is flying through space at crazy speeds, is it possible we move through marginally hotter/colder areas of space over time?

Global climate change?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birkeland_current
youtube.com/watch?v=t7EAlTcZFwY
hypertextbook.com/facts/2000/DaWeiCai.shtml
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

"nothing", or space, the absence of particles, cannot have a temperature

Temperature is basically the speed at which a molecule is vibrating, which equates to more kinetic energy. Space doesn't appear to have molecules, so therefore space doesn't really have a temperature.

Electric Universe Theory. The sun is a conduit for the plasma substrate of space, which is comprised of charged particles that permeate all of space. The universe is an electric current.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birkeland_current

youtube.com/watch?v=t7EAlTcZFwY

Maybe finish your freshman physics course BEFORE you give us all cancer with your ignorance

Avg temp of space is 3 K

If you're asking if we've moved from a colder area to a hotter area in the last 150 years, then no.

Atmospheric temperature could be influenced if we entered a molecular cloud or if we crossed a very luminous star. It's not the case, has not been the case for a shitload of year, and won't be the case for another shitload of years.

There's no way for any member of the general public to know.

Even scientists cannot be sure of their work, as there is always the opportunity for their technology to be sabotaged.

Electric universe theory is fucking garbage and is not taken seriously at any professional level

There is no temperature in space m8.

HURR DURR NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING SO ANY DUMB IDEA YOU HAVE IS EQUALLY VALID

kill urself

Yes it does. There are still particles in space. Not many, but still some. The temperature of space is ~3-4 Kelvin, if I recall correctly.

CMB temperature does vary, by only by millionths of a degree. It is actually incredibly constant considering how it was made.

Yes, the government would never lie to you in anyway, user.

Why would the center of the sun, which we see through coronal holes, has such a low temperature compared to the surface? Why is the corona millions of degrees hotter than the surface of the sun itsself?

Read about recent comet scientific findings, with the probes that interacted with them. Read about the documented anomalies involved. You think only SOME aspects of your life have been controlled and decided for you? Think again, man.

Wrong

This guy is correct faggots

space is a void, there is no temperature. Heat is generated when molecules vibrate together to produce an energy. There isn't enough of anything in space to do this.

Exactly.

Prove me otherwise.

Yeah the government and every physicist in the fucking world is all in on one grand conspiracy and it's up to sperglord Sup Forumstards to overthrow the system

Idiot

>"nothing", or space, the absence of particles, cannot have a temperature
That would be true if "Relativity" and "Special relativity" were true, but observed reality shows there is Aether.
99% more plausible than "dark matter".

The short answer is no. Absolutely not.
Reading this made me cringe a little.

>believe the guy who says about electric universe and pretends that he cares about the logical reasoning in one sentence and then suddenly bring biblical verses as the evidence of the radical new cosmology

No. The sun effectively has it's own "atmosphere", and by atmosphere I mean a region of space surrounding it that is more or less constant in composition and energy, due to the heliosphere's bow shock plowing an unimaginably large path through interstellar space.

Essentially our solar system lives in a giant cozy snow globe.

It's a choice, to think.

There's a "Background temperature" of space, mostly because of all the various forms of radiation, but it's only around ~3-4 Kelvin. As in ~3-4 degrees Celsius above the temperature at which matter as we know it breaks down into a condensate. There are "Hot" and "Cold" spots in space but the difference in temperature those spots would produce on earth are non-existent.

space is only a vacuum behind a star there is a medium in front of ours
this is the major reason our sun changes it goes through different material and burns different

i'm not sure about in between galaxies or their clusters

>aether
The 15th century called. They want their memes back

Basically absolute zero

This is the correct answer. Christ the illiterate faggots in this thread

there is a thing called Cosmic microwave background

Space moves around us

But not quite.

/thread

You're all retarded, yes space has a temperature and yes we receive heat in the form of light from the sun, if we didn't we would all die.

The universe is electric and only electric

Metal filings, magnet.
Look at the structures it creates.

The solar system reminds me of a giant atom; the sun is the nucleus, the planets are protons (terrestrial) and neutrons (Jovian) and comets are electrons!

:^)

That's not true
studies have found space ranges from about 0.06-1000 atoms per cubic centimeter
hypertextbook.com/facts/2000/DaWeiCai.shtml

to put that in perspective air has around 2.5E19 atoms
a cubic centimeter of water has
1.8E22

>"nothing", or space, the absence of particles, cannot have a temperature
so this statement is wrong, but space would hold a insanely small amount of thermal energy that op's theory is wrong

Space is expanding everywhere in all directions.

The universe is fractal, like energy.

I think you are trolling. Because you don't know what electricity is and you don't believe people who know what it is and who know how to use it to create power lines that give energy to your computer and everything you are so used to.

(You)

>96168974
not that concept

more like a cell we are in in our solar system there is a vacuum of sorts but not out side of it
though I don't know how far that medium goes

The universe moves at a fast rate but this is also comparative to its size. The closest adjacent star is "Proxima" at 4.6 LY away.

Radiation can travel through space, but it is limited by distance and all radiation is still limited to the speed of light.

We would need to drift in extremely close proximity to gases/radiation that would be gathered together forming a star. This is fairly impossible however as 'most' newly formed stars form in the center of our galaxy and we have a ways to go.

Also that image is incorrect, everything in the universe is actually spiraling inwards towards each other, however the basic laws of gravity will continue to do an excellent job at preventing collisions with other systems.

That being said there's a horrifying thing called a "Gamma-Ray Burst which occurs completely randomly and would wipe out the earth in less than half a second.

I took a class on this and I'm pretty sure I'm doing it justice.

There is background radiation, but the variation due to pacing through areas of different temperatures is so little that it can be totally ignored. The temp is around two Kelvin and I doubt that the radiation wavelength is going to interact with any material to increase it's temp.

I was just reading up on this recently, mostly because I was interested if a digital watch would function properly in the vacuum of space (like the Speedmaster).
Temperature in space varies greatly. If you're directly in the presence of a star, you can reach very high temperatures (240C+), while on Pluto, temperatures reach only about 30C above absolute zero. It really depends on where you are in relation to your local stars and solar radiation.

This should not affect our planet much, as we have a magnetic field and atmosphere that shields us from much of the radiation in space. How close we are to the sun will affect surface temperatures (why we have seasons).

So you know that radiation is like, a thing, and stuff, right retard?

Is hillary clinton lying about how the earth is warmed by the sun as well, because there's no bridge of matter that joins our planet to our star?

how am i the first person in this thread to point this out?

Explained by electromagnetic field theory and Maxwell's equations.

But I bet you don't understand differential and vector calculus that's needed for those since you shill for bullshit "my faith = your empirical evidence" theories.

Well it is a politics board ultimately, people here would know more about literature and history than science.

> everything in the universe is actually spiraling inwards towards each other

mate, no. Just fuckin no.

electricity is where electromagnetism meets dielectricty at right angels

>"my faith = your empirical evidence"
Thank you for describing the current republican party and all the trumptards here.

This sounds like a bad hip hop song.

The inward pull of gravity is counteracted by the rotation of the galaxy, but it is still ever so slightly bringing us closer. I guess I should have added "A long ass time from now" to that

your ad hominem doesnt work on us, dave.

wasted trips.

I'm a "trumptard" - or would be if I lived in the US.
I won't vote for a corrupt child fucker, no matter what.

Yes. The cosmic microwave background sets a temperature that objects will warm/cool to in the absence of heat sources or cooling mechanisms. It's a couple degrees above absolute zero. Beyond that, space is filled with very diffuse plasma that is typically rather hot, but which has negligible effects on macroscopic objects due to being so diffuse. The temperature and density of this plasma varies from spot to spot, with galactic discs (where we are) being relatively cool but dense, and intergalactic space being hotter but much more diffuse, with local variation from stars and other energy sources. For the purposes of Earth's climate the sun dominates energy flows so completely that an individual sunspot far overshadows these effects.

No temperature, only aliens.

during day or afternoon?

-270.45 Celsius/-454.81 Fahrenheit

Australian scientific understanding hard at work, folks.

no. Gravity is an extremely weak force. In the "Long ass time from now" you envision, everything is going to be so distant from one another they wont be visible in the sky.

This will keep happening, until very atoms are ripped apart

No, it reminds you of a diagram of an atom.

What is interesting about the temperature of space is that despite it being probably the coldest thing that comes to mind, the actual coldest places in the universe are made in labs on earth using laser and evaporative cooling.

On the other hand, the strongest man-made vacuums still can't rival the vacuum of space.

It is hard as fuck to cool things in space, you can only radiate the heat away.

So it being cold is not like cold on earth where the heat escapes your body easily

Not exactly. Gas thermodynamics allow expanding nebulas to cool below the CMB temperature. The boomerang nebula is about 1K, for example.

what if black holes are so massive that they stop atoms and are the coldest thing ever

Always (you) quality bait

Actually, via Hawking radiation, black holes should have a temperature in the conventional sense. This is, in fact, predicted to be far colder than pretty much everything else for large black holes.

That is very cool to know. I knew i can learn something new on Sup Forums

Now i have something to read up on for the rest of the night

Superstar. He's with her too.

Correct, they are explained by Maxwell's equations but they base their structure on space.

"Relativity actually says nothing about the existence or nonexistence of matter pervading the universe, only that any such matter must have relativistic symmetry. [..] It turns out that such matter exists. About the time relativity was becoming accepted, studies of radioactivity began showing that the empty vacuum of space had spectroscopic structure similar to that of ordinary quantum solids and fluids. Subsequent studies with large particle accelerators have now led us to understand that space is more like a piece of window glass than ideal Newtonian emptiness. It is filled with 'stuff' that is normally transparent but can be made visible by hitting it sufficiently hard to knock out a part. The modern concept of the vacuum of space, confirmed every day by experiment, is a relativistic ether. But we do not call it this because it is taboo."

Interestingly the more mass/energy they have the colder they get. Black body radiation study is as cool as it gets (hahaha)

The reverse effect is why star formation takes so long. Clouds of gas compacting under gravity heat up, and have to radiate that heat away before it can get dense enough to form stars.

Indeed, and black holes near their evaporation point are probably the hottest objects in the universe, supposing any exist. IIRC they're supposed to reach the Planck temperature at the point of evaporation.

>he still uses temperature
>he doesn't know about the thermodynamic beta
m8

>Hey mom, can you check what beta it is outside? I want to know if I should wear a coat
>It's about 0.025 eV outside sweetie
>Thanks mom

>Norwegian education
wew lad

>burger
>Does not even realize Einstein called it Ether.
kys, theres a reason for the " ".

God imagine the radiation emitted at Planck temp, even the fact that they evaporate at some point is horrific. I shoulda done physics and not chem

>implying zero point field vibrations don't happen
>implying we can't neglect background temperature
>implying global warming isn't real
>implying strong southern borders in white countries aren't the best way to deal with it
We need to bring together scientists (physicists) who are also principled conservatives

>people here would know more about literature and history than science.
>people here would know more about literature and history
>people here would know
>know

Radiation =/= heat.
Fucking idiot.
Heat is the average kinetic energy of particles in a system. EM Radiation is electromagnetic waves.
>tfw climate change deniers have political power

Is Earth, is the world above the United States' southern border going to become inhabitable?

>imagine the radiation emitted at Planck temp
Pair production that includes black holes at the point of evaporation and massive particles so exotic that physicists haven't even tried to describe them, gamma with a wavelength around the Planck length and carrying the Planck energy, laws of physics fully unified. Particles carrying so much energy in so small a space that their gravitational waves contribute significantly to energy transfer. Doges and longcats living together. That sort of thing.

>Heat is the average kinetic energy of particles in a system.

Also
>splitting hairs
Why do you think being an elitist makes you more right? Are you a physicist?

>Heat is the average kinetic energy of particles in a system
m8
Makes sense seeing as gravity/mass isnt even fully understood. I'm assuming that it's gonna be a transfer by radiation at least, assuming that particle is ionized you can't have dipole ET and realistically how much energy could a collision impart?

Cool that's somwthing I never learned in astronomy. Will look into it in more detail now

It's possible regions have different average incoming energy from other stars, but stars are so far away that the overwhelming majority of energy reaching Earth is from our star. It would be difficult to even measure heat from starlight as it's so small that even Pluto gets most of it's light and heat from the sun.

The universe is expanding an is actually accelerating at the speed which it is expanding.

the only way it will collapse into itself is if the uniserve turened out to be circular in nature

Fucking New Zealand education. CMB only varies by 200 microkelvin.