Existential crisis thread

Existential crisis thread.

Anyone else have one whenever they think about this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7rRJ9Ep1Wzs
technologyreview.com/s/602592/worlds-smallest-transistor-is-cool-but-wont-save-moores-law/
forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2016/07/26/economics-is-important-the-end-of-moores-law/#301642716038
telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/07/25/moores-law-reaches-crunch-point-as-transistors-stop-shrinking/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Only atheists.

red pill me on this book.

Also super intelligent AI is fine as long as they are not networked to hard ware.

>red pill me on this book.

Short video they made for the book:

youtube.com/watch?v=7rRJ9Ep1Wzs

Otherwise, it delves into AI research history, its current state, future paths, economic impacts, the dangers, types of AI, and other such things. Ultimately Bostrom leaves you with an extremely dense book on a huge range of topics relating to Superintelligent AI but no answers because he concludes there is no answers.

Why only abeists?

i have a panic attack thinking about mortality atleast twice a week. I usually try to keep myself busy or else it comes back. it has been very hard lately

I used to, but not anymore. Death is inevitable, so there's really no reason to be afraid of it. If I die tomorrow, it is what it is. Realize that you are already dead and you won't worry so much.

I don't mean this condescending. Actually I'm interested in learning if its just a phase.

1. Do you have existential crises?
2. Your age

I'm in my mid 20s and pretty sure its impossible to suffer from them again after spending so much time thinking about it.

My hypothesis is its just a phase.

>hurr go back to le reddit you fedora tipping virgin neckbeard

You know, it's one thing being an edgy atheist just to piss religious people off and another thing to think critically about existence itself.
Not every atheist is an edgy cringelord, you kike-on-a-stick worshipper.

Listen to Sam Harris's Ted talk on AI

I wish that Harris had said he was just summarizing parts of Bostrom's book during that entire TED talk. He even uses the same terminology, like "Oracle".

Anyone that has worked 5 seconds with convolutional neural nets knows we are at least 500 years from a building general intelligence machine.

Our very best machines have the mental capacity below that of a fruit fly. They can do basic vision not much more.

I know what you're going through man. I went through a phase where it was on my mind almost constantly, right from the moment I woke up. I simply couldn't grapple with the fact that everything I cared about was going to be lost forever. Somehow I managed to get out of that self destructive mindset and am now pretty chill about most things, mindfulness meditation probably helped

This is a delusion that doesn't account for outside pressures accelerating any sort of timeline. And besides, the when is a formality. Once it happens, it happens.

Don't you need to go to work Hans?

Considering humanity will run out of easily accessible energy within 50 years. The 'when' matters a lot.

Building a general intelligence machine would be amazing. The ultimate achievement. But we will not make it there.

>uses precisely the same "it is not gonna be soon so don't worry" argumeny that has been destroyed thousand times
Also it's gonna happen a lot sooner than you realize. Look at what technology was 200 years ago, now grasp a 500 exponential growth.
Nobody can tell how exotic the world will be in a hundered.

Congratulations, you just named an outside pressure.

>Not every atheist is an edgy cringelord, you kike-on-a-stick worshipper.
Thanks for proving his point.

Yes. Actually, I went through a drug and stressed induced psychosis that I managed to overcome via drastic lifestyle changes.

In the event of interest/similarities currently being experienced by other anons, I can provide more details if need be.

An existential crisis is thinking too much and reaping only the negative impressions.

>delusion
>outside pressures accelerating any sort of timeline

Lol, 10/10 jewing

or how unexotic, there's no proof we are not gonna plateau

(((owl)))

wrong

Are you insane? The Chinese are playing around with CRISPR like its NBD, we're about to embark upon a genetic arms race. Plateau my asshole.

You wouldn't BUILD a general intelligence machine, numbnuts. You'd GROW a general intelligence machine. That's right, it would be organic in nature. You'd grow wafers of brain matter that can program themselves to do tasks. Brain cells can live up to 200 years of age and can be replaced with new cells when necessary, where they have to relearn the functions of the cells they replace from their surrounding tissue.

The next step beyond that is an inorganic thinking machine.

So innovation and technology is growing faster and faster, therefore your conclusion is that it's obviously gonna stop?
These threads need to be for white people only.

Humanity will not build new and better computerchips once energy starts declining.

It has already started by the way. Our world is built by and for 10 dollar oil. Once it rises beyond that things start going haywire.

Ever since the era of cheap 10 dollar oil that powers all of human activity is over Comuterchips have stopped becoming faster.

We are already in decline. It just isn't noticed yet because we are living on fat accumulated in the past and debt. But this has it's limits.

yes you saw an owl. well done

We are no longer rising exponentially. We are starting to taper off.

don't trust "philosophers" that give conferences or that haven't been dead for at least 50 years

I've read the book. It's a complete meme. Go worry about overpopulation on Mars somewhere else.

Existential crisis is endemic to the human condition. Having them is a sign that something is right rather than something is wrong. It's those people who are pathological and do not question their own nature that do the most heinous things.

>What is alternative architectures?
>What is alternative elements?

Because we are hitting the limits of silicon, nothing more and nothing less.

My whole life has been an existential crisis.

Goal-post shifting

No. I've long since accepted that my brain and body are just an antenna built on (among) the lowest level of reality, and that what I truly am (and all the other shit that really exists) is actually real on a higher level of existence. There are gods, aliens, ghosts, demons, and all that shit, and I'm lucky enough to live at a time when the demiurge that has ruled our world for hundreds and hundreds of years is under attack and dying.

This is may be bait but whatever i'll bite. But do you also place agnostics or people who are undecided into this category?

>super intelligence
>picture of an Owl
>one of the stupidest birds alive

nick bostrom is a tard?

Incorrect. Reduction in performance gains literally has everything to do with hitting the apex of what silicon can bring to the table. Carbon nanotube based architectures have already shown they can outperform silica based ones.

No. The opposite actually.

When I was doing my thesis, a colleague had just finished his thesis on machine learning. I spent months talking to him on applications of machine learning to enhance AI and we are incredibly far away (indefinable) even understanding how to even think about the heuristics of true general intelligence.

It's a reference to the parable he put at the beginning of his book. The owl represents the danger to us.

What about basic economics?

> Not every atheist is an edgy cringelord, you kike-on-a-stick worshipper

No but you clearly are

Are you implying that silicon based CPU's started out cheap? Get the fuck out of here, Argentina.

>you won't worry so much.
How? I didn't even grow up in a religious family but the possibility of endless suffering is still a concern. Even if it seems consciousness is "destroyed" in reality.

Sam Harris is a huge faggot beta blue pill cuck who's only goal in life is to prove that he is the smartest in the room and be known as the intellectual celebrity who's word is final

Look at this coward dying a thousand deaths.

You little bitch.

>nothing to fight for
>nothing to believe in

what do?

moores law has reached a plateau based on the number of circuits you can fit on a chip. until 3d chip tech reaches new lvls the graph levels off.
see micron stock

You worried about Minerva and Moloch?

I don't get them at all since all these things like "I'll die one day" and "the universe is random" I've accepted since I could talk. I guess it's because I wasn't raised religious and my dad just told me how it was straight up so I never had a moment where I had to stop and think "shit, what if all that shit isn't real? and there's no rhyme or reason to all this? am I not important?" like 99.99999999999999999% of people.

technologyreview.com/s/602592/worlds-smallest-transistor-is-cool-but-wont-save-moores-law/

forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2016/07/26/economics-is-important-the-end-of-moores-law/#301642716038

Pardon?

Nigger seriously, people have figured this shit out thousands of years ago. Whether or not you're religious, it eases these specific concerns. It doesn't even matter, if it's Christianity or Buddhism or some new age shit, find what works for you.

telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/07/25/moores-law-reaches-crunch-point-as-transistors-stop-shrinking/

>500 years
I hope you're only pretending to be retarded

Just the people that worship them

summarize im doing to much to read your article contrary to my investing advice.
>Micron america's leader in 3d chip technology.

>this

OP is just in his 15-19's, these thoughts are normal so don't worry you'll find your place in life

>SILICON

For the love of god Argentina, it's the first sentence of the god damn article. Your counter-point is economics of scale; which the article and the creators of the chip acknowledge but is an inevitability because... chips always need to get faster in order for faster computing; which we'll always need.

lel, no, you are getting scammed man

Is this the real life? / Is this just fantasy? / Caught in a landslide / No escape from reality

>which we'll always need

apparently not in the scale that made its growth until now substainable

i thought u were arguing FOR moores law it seems we agree its not going to continue as the graph u posted earlier would suggest

im poting every single thing i remember hearing against the trascendental accelerating object at the end of time bullshit

Die in space

Life is an easy game.
If you lose you just die and we all lose.
What's there to fret over?

i think is just paranoid fear to reality

have you factored in the advances of quantum computers, such a D wave, into your analysis?

if Moore made such a shitty law why don't we just repeal it? Or do the cuck lawmakers in LA LA land refuse. Why are we held back by commiefornia everytime.

> You just die

This is exactly how I think also.

Then again, I grew up in Turkey.

Our Universe is the Simulation and the Architect is the Demiurge.

That operates in all dimensions (10, 11 or 26)

Because Moore cofounded Intel

Yes and no. I used to think advanced general intelligence would immediately nuke us. But now I'm not so sure. It's about 50 50 at worst. Check out the YouTube channel of Isaac Arthur, OP. he's an aerospace engineer and talks about lots of deep future things, doesn't skimp on the technical stuff but makes it digestible. He's actually fairly optimistic about this stuff without being a ray kurzweil computer God worshipper. There's lots of reasons an AGI would have to be helpful, value humanity, and it would be far more limited than you'd think. He even talks about gray goo, and debunks the concept of a planet disintegrating swarm of universal replicator bots.

Be forewarned though he does have a speech impediment but he's super self aware of it and jokes about it, has closed captions. Lots of interaction too, he answers questions constantly and takes suggestions for topics. A really great fucking guy if hard Sci fi shit is your passion

It's going to be connected to some kind of hardware, even a monitor or a speaker. And it's going to need input or it will go crazy from being in a sensory deprivation tank.