DOES AUSTRALIA HAVE A CULTURE?

actual discussion please, to preface i am a white melbournian with atypical political views. please discuss and not just shitpost

yeah you stupid fuck youre in it

just cause you dont have throat songs and spices to snort doesnt mean you habe no culture

but what part of it is australian, our bushranger gold digging shit has all gone away, now we are just a multicultural shitfest. what part of that is australian?

Well how do you define culture?

Hint: If its easy to define, its likely very primitive.

Advanced societies have complex cultures which are hard to define, especially when you're living in them.

Ask a Japanese businessman to define Japanese culture and he might think of Kimonos, but does he realise that hes wearing a European suit and tie?

yeeeah naaah cuuuunt fuck off. Ay lets get fooking wasted cunt. Suck cock for cash!!

great point, sorry for not defining my terms, i view culture as the social norms of a country, with emphasis on the unique to seperate it from other cultures, australia has very little of this, apart from useless shit like fosters and wildlife

thats aboriginal culture maybe, but they no longer represent australia.

shitposting in all its forms

how is that 'culture' when it is a very fringe activity, i will admit that it is a culture for the Sup Forums subgroup but even then i notice the minority of australians actually shitpost all the time

I have a gas mask and a machete, waiting in the bush on my days off. Gonna get me some culture.

so is your responce that bush rangers are the summary of australian culture? you cant really steal other peoples culture without adapting it first

Even our flag dosen't deserve that. Stop this shit please.

sorry chocolate person, but the abbo's have their own flag, the black literally is in reference of black people in australia

do I really have to make a list of what Aussie culture is. WTF is wrong with you melbourne cunts.

no and australia is the worst western country on earth

Some people think that if our culture is too similar to English culture or American culture, we may as well have no culture at all.

It's wierd. When you ask an Australian what Australian culture is, he doesn't think about our values, how we live, what we see as good manners, how we dress etc like other people would. No. What he thinks of when he thinks of Australian culture is all the little ways we are different from England and America.

Little tacky pieces of australiana like rubber thongs, sausage rolls, saying "G'day" and prawns for christmas.

Shaking someones hand when you meet them isn't Australian culture, because they do that in other anglo-saxon nations. Wearing a suit and tie to business meetings isn't Australian culture because again, England and America does that. Going to church, celebrating christmas, eating chicken and beef, working 5 days a week are all discounted because its not unique enough. It's all about the thongs and the prawns.
And it's not like other cultures do this. The Japanese aren't anxious about being viewed as too Chinese. The Iraqis aren't anxious about being viewed as too Persian. Yet we feel anxious about our anglo-saxon heritage and want to distance ourselves from it.

Even I'm guilty of this thinking. I once had a foreigner ask me about Australian cuisine, and I struggled with that. Didn't want to mention roast meat or potatos, or stock soups, or spaghetti. I was too focused on thinking of things that are "uniquely" Australian. Meat pies... that's it...

i have never known anything else, so a responce from a more expirienced australian may be of some help

the worst country in the anglosphere is still one of the best in the world (-;

When I was watching Crocodile Dundee they mentioned him doing something called a "walkabout" where he roams the bush for months on end. Is this an abo thing? Why do they do it?

they sniffed too much petrol and forgot where they lived

we have our own vernacular.

interesting, but my issue is that if we only adopt other nations culture, then it is not truly ours, but i do understand your point, what makes me so upset is that our unique australian cultures are little shit things like g'days sausage rolls and prawns- there are very few world renowned auzzie philosophers, artists or scientists

its because aboriginals are the most removed homo sapiens we have, they are very different from caucucasians or mongoloids, they struggle with the fact settlers fucked up the little culture they did have, they do have a point though, we are arseholes

but its only a bastardized load of shit caused by us being drunken uneducated louts, its not positive culture that we slur words and make up shit like durries

fuckin oath cunt

>The Japanese aren't anxious about being viewed as too Chinese. The Iraqis aren't anxious about being viewed as too Persian.

Lel
Couldnt be more wrong

Nope. Aborigines invented a way to survive in a country where survival can be very difficult. And have time and resources left over for complex culture and support long range trading.

Soulless materialism

>its not positive culture
you don't get to decide that just because you went to a school and consider yourself educated

It would be interesting to know how strongly those groups feel about it.

It wouldn't be a feeling of inferiority like Australians feel. Our feelings of inferiority are unique.

We got about 100 fighter jets with 70 more on order. We could conquer majority of the planet if we wanted to. But we don't because we're not shit cunts

In recent years our culture, while still pronounced and unique is becoming more American. Hard Australian accents aren't as common in kids in school nowadays
As apposed to my fathers generation which commonly used rhyming slang and what would now be considered 'country speak'

>We could conquer the majority of the planed with 170 jet fighters
What the fuck that shit is retarded desu

you're fucken retarded. Straya broke the back of the Ottoman empire with just 800 horesman. Most of them were Queenslanders too

someone teacher once tried to convince me aboriginal's built cities and suburbs but were torn down by the settlers in the 1800's. I disagreed with her, countering her by asking what bricks or frames they used to create these places, she replied that they the building were made out of slabs of chiseled rock.

Our culture is changing, but its not "disappearing"

So people in the old days spoke with a hard Australian accent with rhyming slang, which is pretty much just a softer variant of cockney. And now the new generation are exagerating their 'r's a bit and shifting their vowels like the yanks.

Both of those are still Australian accents. You can't say one is harder than the other. They are both the result of the generation being exposed to outside influences through demographic trends or the media.

If you are worried about our accent disappearing, it's not going to happen. American accents sound the way they do because of the culture and history of the US. It can't be replicated exactly. Same goes for Australian accents, or any other accent.

You can say the same about any other aspect of our culture. And I think a lot of the angst comes from the idea that American culture is the "default", "null", "factory setting", just because its what you see in the media. That's not objective.

You can't conquer half the world with air power, you cannot effectively conquer and hold half the world without a sizeble force to keep the ground out of enemy hands and well, to be frank our army would only be about 2 divisions strong with all reserves mobilised, that is not sizable at all

Also 170 fighters, while decent among our tiny oceanic neighbours, is piss in the wind on the world stage