Why does the majority of any audience of any show have such a great distaste for musical episodes?

Why does the majority of any audience of any show have such a great distaste for musical episodes?

People have stated that it's simply silly how they sing the dialogue or it draws down the seriousness of the situation.

Is the west culturally bankrupt?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=MqMaK6C2sIM
youtube.com/watch?v=UwUoMN3pK_s
youtube.com/watch?v=PXX9uOJ-nhM
youtube.com/watch?v=yui4zkZQwCA
youtube.com/watch?v=jcen-OeSbvk
youtube.com/watch?v=us0-kHxp53Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

you can have a serious musical movie without it being silly, see Les Parapluies de Cherbourg or Les demoiselles de Rochefort, and it can be done the same in a cartoon if they work on it, but they don't care and simply make it for the laughs

Maybe because a lot of time the musical numbers are filler that don't advance the plot or develop the characters. They don't actually serve movie, that just take up space. See: Disney movies.

Do I hear a musical thread coming?

I have never heard people speak poorly of Brave and the Bold's Music Meister, so there's that.

Because they are absolute buffoons.

Finally, a musical thread.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=MqMaK6C2sIM

As I see it there's generally two kinds of people dissatisfied with musical episodes.

1 - The larger group of people who like the property but don't like musicals/showtunes. You got your peanut butter on my chocolate. Get it the fuck off.

2 - The smaller group is people that like both the property and musicals, but have a standard for musicals too high for the property to reach. This peanut butter you put on my chocolate is fucking disgusting low-grade ass.

The BATB one was probably one of the highest quality I've seen. NPH is no Lansbury or Hearn level talent but he's definitely broadway pedigree.

OP has a problem, she's got a bone to pick.

youtube.com/watch?v=UwUoMN3pK_s

yeah as a musician I'm often disappointed with the quality of the music
which I then feel bad about because they're trying, dammit

Because musicals just like opera is bad on purpose to piss everyone off and show our hypocrisy and lack of taste for music just like every classical song that was so ridiculouse and goofy it managed to mix seamlessly with goddamn Tom & Jerry.

Musicals are like wine. Why bother polishing a turd when you can just drink liqour and syrup.

because most of the time musicals fucking suck

youtube.com/watch?v=PXX9uOJ-nhM

I never hear anybody complain abut "Mr. Greg" at least nobody that doesn't already complain about all SU episodes

>another musical thread
STOP REMINDING ME I CAN'T SING OR DANCE YOU VILE BASTARDS

spbp

This right here. I can count all the musicals I like on one hand and not one of them is a TV episode.

Does this count as a musical?

Because the songs usually suck.

>People saying they mostly suck?

What sort of standards do you base this off of?

They help introduce some elements into the story that would have been hard or just plain boring to do any other way.
Like, how would you do a montage of Simbra growing up with Timon and Pumba and explain their lifestyle without making it a musical number?
Or would Scar calmly explaining his evil plan to hyenas be more entertaining than a full-fledged number that uses elements of the environment to create proper mood?

I want to break McNamara's legs and force her to tell everyone she fell down the stairs.

>it's that one guy who always posts threads on Sup Forums with Heather because he's sad that it's been more than half a year since Sup Forums gave a fuck about Heathers or Hamilton animatics

The threads usually seem to reach bump limit, so there must be some fucks floating around.

> Is the west culturally bankrupt?
no. it just doesn't have shit taste.

youtube.com/watch?v=yui4zkZQwCA

>implying this wasn't cartoonkino

OTGW is certainly a musical.
Music is a central portion of the series.

That was the best episode of the series

The problem is when lazy writers use a musical number as a crutch for boring scenes (see: Frozen). The stakes and purpose of a scene have to be interesting first and then music can be used as a tool. A musical number should not be a replacement for good storytelling.

OtGW isn't a musical, it's more like a callback to Golden Age Hollywood and it's tendency to stick a musical number in an otherwise non-musical film.

This. Only cultures that actually like mucials are third world shitholes.

Magical Mystery Cure was the best show musical to be honest

On the subject of good musicals, Billy and Mandy knocked it out of the fucking park with Voltaire's episodes

Ruby Gloom's musical two-parter was pretty good

youtube.com/watch?v=jcen-OeSbvk

youtube.com/watch?v=us0-kHxp53Y

It's easy to tell the difference between "Hey, this song fits the scene well and has a unique composition with clever/funny lyrics that help drive the plot forward" and "Well that was just embarrassing, totally forced and derivative". i.e, the Space Dandy musical compared to, say, Atlantis Squarepantis or a Phineas & Ferb episode that has to meet the quota.

Why not push her into a bus instead?

Anyone seen anything good irl lately? I saw Guys and Dolls for the first time last night. It was very fun if a bit shallow.

Keep trying, user. I maintain that anyone can sing, just don't let your ego set the bar for you.

When I was a kid, I liked musicals in cartoons. When I became a teenager and a young adult, I was embarrassed about them and didn't want them.
Now that I'm not a young adult anymore, I like them again, because I'm trying to find double meaning in the texts or scenes. But even if they don't have any hidden meanings, I just like them generally again.
Taste changes with age.

Disney films are still pretty popular. Perhaps tv musicals are seen as inferior to movie quality?

Not really, the songs were sometimes forced, the scene with Celestia tugged on some heartstrings though.

Confirmed for never actually watching a musical you goddamn philistine.

>Is the west culturally bankrupt?
What the fuck are you even talking about with this dumb line?

The ONLY place that makes with musical episodes is the West. (I haven't seen all of India's cartoons, but it's more typical to have a dance than to have straight dialogue.) I've never seen Japan do a musical episode.

Counter-intuitively (to people who have never been around them), kids crave order and don't like things that break the rules. That's why they hate a musical recap from Avatar or Reboot. But at the same time they love the Animaniacs song. Because they're "supposed to" do wacky songs.

>I've never seen Japan do a musical episode

Space Dandy, although the episode was a parody of high school musicals.

So the same mind set that cartoons need to be nonsensical and goofy while anime is all drama and seriousness all the time?

Ever since you people had me watch this thing, it's never once vanished from my recommended YouTube videos. I must have seen it 10 times. I don't know who you are, but stop it.

Just click 'not interested'

>Implying Heather Chandler hasn't already done that.

There's a song literally every episode. Sounds like a musical to me.

Is there any animation of this shit that doesn't look like deviantart-tumblr furry garbage? Serious question

Do you just throw words together and hope people know what you mean? It was made by a single teenager and I'm sure it took more work than you've put into anything in your life you sweaty neckbeard faggot

I’m sliding more with Golden Age Hollywood, user. Musicals tend to incorporate the music better into the work itself as “part” of the world, while OTGW intentionally grinds to a halt whenever a music number is needed. Of course oftentimes Broadway in turn references that in certain numbers so idk.

>deviantart-tumblr-furry
Holy shit you are such a faggot

Didn't know the artist was browsing this thread

Honestly, it's mainly because a lot of musical episodes for shows that don't normally have music just aren't very good.

You're joking, but the animator in question is a 14 year old (at the time that vid was made) tumblrina who identifies as genderqueer and wouldn't animate the song "Say No To This" from Hamilton because there's sex in it. I highly doubt they'd be able to insult anyone without vagueposting and passive-aggression, much less use the word "faggot" in any context.