Doom Patrol thread

Doom Patrol thread

Anybody been reading the Gerard Way book from Young Animal? I actually kind of like it. Its' defiantly got the Morrison flavor but it's doing its own thing as well.

Still waiting for the TPB to arrive.

Yeah, I like YA for the most part. Just wish it was released more consistently.

H I A T U S

I wish Derrington and Way would stop fucking delaying the book every goddamn month

YOU GET NOTHING

Hands down my favourite Big Two comic of late. Nothing else comes close. (except for Punisher: Platoon)

I think it's a real credit to the mood Way and Derringtion have created that when Casey fucked her cat I wasn't disgusted or anything, it was just another new turn in the weird ride.

I'm also hard as fuck for Derrington's art. My god that man does things to me.

I've been loving the run so far. Definitely one of my favorite ongoings right now.

Been slowly making my way through Morrison's run and it's really cool seeing where he influenced Way's run.

I love Derington too, n-no homo

Nah, I'm pretty homo about it. Look at this fucking Batman sketch.

>ears flowing into the cheeks
Mmmm.
>40's belt and rope
Mmm!
>Boxing shorts
Oooh!
>Clawed hands
Nick! You beast! Take me!!

Fuckers' delaying the entire line now, because every other book stopped to wait for it to catch up for the January crossovers, and those have now been delayed until February

I honestly love how most of Doom Patrol, not just this run, just kinda runs on dream logic.

You just kinda go with the weird stuff. It just works. A sentient street? Yeah, okay. A being claiming to be both Jack the Ripper and God? Seems reasonable.

I think it's a real testament to the talent behind them that they can maintain that kind of illogical internal logic. It'd still be very easy to jump a shark or break the illusion in a Doom Patrol run, I'd imagine it's a regular temptation for an artist or writer, but they keep a consistent verisimilitude, so much so that even yiffing can't break it, so you gotta commend them on that.

Stop after they show that woman fucking a furry.

>Stop at the latest issue which has no continuation as of yet so no way to tell how the series progresses after that point.

You're silly.

I adore it. Morrison's Doom Patrol is my favorite comic ever and I'm loving Way's run. Dude needs to meet a deadline though

You wound't be that surprised if you've been a fan of Umbrella Academy (Vol. 3 when?).

I was lucky to score both volumes in floppy on an ebay auction for 20$. I wish they'd do another printing of the hardcovers though for my shelf. Shits great.

The publishing pace has absolutely killed it for me but I will definitely buy the trade.

That was pretty fun.

I've been reading it. I like it. I know just barely enough about Doom Patrol to pick up on some of the plot points it's continuing from previous runs.

Tell me about the Doom Patrol runs before and after Morrison. It seems Morrison is just the end all be all when it comes to Doom Patrol, the golden standard.
What did other runs do that were memorable?

>those DSL on Casey

I just finished the entirety of Morrison's run, what's next now?

Is there any art of Crazy Jane? She was great.
...is there any of Nobody?

Fanart of Mr. Nobody?

Not much.

I'm in the same boat as you, plus a little bit more info.

As I understand it, the Silver Age run still holds up as a staple of pulpy weirdness, and the post-Morrison (I want to say Johns?) run is awful.

Not Johns, Giffen.

It looks like I know fuck all.

Fukkin shame. He really was the best character out of that run.

>the one Young Animal book that sells well is the one that gets delays and makes everything else delayed

>Doom Patrol Vol. 1 Brick by Brick 3,888 (May)
>Doom Patrol Vol. 1 Brick by Brick 572 (June)
>Doom Patrol Vol. 1 Brick By Brick 562 (July)
>Doom Patrol Vol. 1 Brick By Brick 603 (August)
>Doom Patrol Vol. 1 Brick By Brick 353 (September)
>5978

>Not Number None

I heard Keith Giffen's Doom Patrol run was good.

Though all I really know about it is Mr. Nobody comes back as Mr. Somebody and Ambush Bug ends the run just before the climactic battle by informing Mr. Somebody that they've been canceled because of Flashpoint.

Knowing that helped me figure out just what the hell happened on that island which keeps getting brought up in Way's run.

The reboot of DC's properties, and then the reboot of the reboot somehow fucked up enough stuff so that the Doom Patrol was unaffected by the new timeline and carried on as usual once they ended up existing again.

I dont think many people liked Giffen's run for whatever reason, I personally did, it was fun perhaps more tame than previous runs but it was still a nice read. Nothing too spectacular but not mediocre either, just simple fun.

The Byrne run was the one that people were annoyed by because he decided to reboot the entire thing.
Pollack right after Morrison isn't too bad, and looks like it is being collected next

Looking at the history of Doom Patrol, it makes me wonder what it'd be like if it were adapted into a cartoon starting at the beginning and then going through all the runs.

What would get streamlined? What kinks would be ironed out? What detested stories would be cut or turned around into something fun?

He WAS the only active member of the brotherhood of dada that didn't die.

Not only did he not die, he made me spill water all over the fucking kitchen earlier.

Giffen's run isn't bad. But my god is Byrne's run just the worst garbage

Pollack's writing is pretty good. Its a shame the art is so hideous. Had they stuck with Richard Case or found somebody more fitting towards her sexual weirdness it could have been something good.

I swear I saw Ba and Moon working on the art months ago.

I love that Geoff Johns immediately changed back some of the weird changes (like disconnecting Beast Boy from the DP)

I heard he was part of the reason that Teen Titans got canceled.

Yikes

Giffen was good and actually acknowledge everything before his run, then new 52 happened and everything went to shit. Johns is a good writer but he didn't have any idea about what to do with The Doom Patrol. It was more like Thunderbolts but with weirdos.

How did Number None do that?

Did he crash the computers at DC?

Doom Patrol threads always die so quickly.

Good comics generally don’t have much discussion. That only happens with “so bad it’s good” comics.

What a pity.

This is a series I've become interested in, but there's nowhere really to discuss it.

I'd like to know what made to good runs good and the bad runs terrible.

Well, Morrison set the bar ith all the weirdness almost everything that came after him felt short or was trying too much. Now Way run has this weird feeling that Morrison run had but it's its own thing at the same time.

What was it before Morrison?

I'm aware of some of the more famous Doom Patrol stories, but what was it about pre-Morrison Doom Patrol that made DC keep bringing it back?

It was weird but Silver Age fashion weird. You have The Doom Patrol facing some bizarre foes like The Brain and Monsieur Mallah and Animal Mineral Vegetable Man. It took 10 years until DC greenlighted another Doom Patrol run.

Next time OP needs to post a picture of Casey and her cat and complain about SJW's adding furries to comics, then the rage -posting will keep threads alive

We already had that thread though.

So why did they bring it back after killing off the team and then waiting 10 years?

Shit really? I must have missed it.

Any extra content inside?

What's the current doom patrol roster? There's a Geoff run?

Current roster with Gerard Way contains Danny, Robotman, Larry, and a few new characters like Casey.
Johns only wrote the DP for a bit during the New 52 period, but he brought back Beast Boy's connection to them when Superboy Prime punched reality during Infinite Crisis

Thank you

I dont know to be honest.

Current roster is Danny, Larry and The Negative Spirit it's kinda its own entity now, Robotman, the new girl Casey, Jane, The Chief just joined recently and pic related.
God didI miss him.

read flex for the first time and didn't understand the ending

Doesn't Way's run retcon out whatever happened during the new 52 with the Doom Patrol?

Now it just goes from Giffen's run right into Way's run with none of that crossover/crisis/whatever DC likes to call it stuff having happened.

Actually, Johns run was the only thing hat happened after Giffen run and before Way run.

Well, there was this awful thing, but I think Johns completely ignored it

Didn't Danny end up with the Teen Titans or assisting them or something during New 52?

All of that got retconned away with Way's run since Danny and Jane went to space after Giffen's run now.

Shes cute. I liked her evil twin version more until she got all burned

Just the standard intro editorial you get for these things from Tom Peyer and Morrison. Ends with four pages of character design with notes from Grant, three pages of story boards, the covers scattered throughout, and then a saterical liefeld send up called 'doom force' to round up the collection. Not that much in the way of special features unfortunately.

Meant

Pollack's run is terrible, starts with outright retconing the Morrison run and ruins the ending, leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I'd like to point out that one of our very own anons posted "Casey better not fuck her cat" months prior to the release of the actual issue, based only on the cover art.

that's one handsome book you got there

Well, Mr.Somebody was fucking shit compared to Mr.Nobody. That's a reason enough to hate the whole run for me.

Why don't they ever use this fucker as a villain in the 'Suggested for Mature Readers' runs? He was like tailor made for early Vertigo-style weirdness...

Just ignore it, like how we should do with the Animal Man stories between Morrison and Lemire.

Milligan's story was great.

>breaks EVERYTHING we know about ALL THE THINGS
>is a jobber

Yes, and it seems to now be on re-run

It's about how at the time (in 1996) superhero comics had reached a point where the grim and gritty cynicism of the dark age (issue #3) had become no longer useful in being a credible mythology that spoke to the human psyche.

Morrison is calling for a new approach to the way we do superhero comics. He would proceed to do this in New X-Men/Marvel Boy and his Batman run.

I have read every run of the DP and I have no interest in reading Daniel Way's run. I can't stomach a Morrison clone, specially a post JLA Morrison Clone.

Weren't they all Morrison clones after him though?

Pollack has the same aesthetic but different sensibilities
Byrne was just Byrne
Giffen tried to conciliate all previews runs.

While Morrisons run is amazing I am sad he didn't do anything with the old Doom Patrol rogues gallery. The Mallah and the Brain issue is 10/10