Tom King's Mister Miracle: Recommended Reading

I'm pretty new to the New Gods. What should I read to be able to fully enjoy Tom King's Mister Miracle? I was thinking of reading the original New Gods #1-11 and the original Mister Miracle. Is that enough?

Read the entirety of Kirby's The Fourth World epic then never touch King's work.

OG mister miracle is great. I haven't read new gods yet desu

Ignore the salt boi

You don't have to do much. You just sort of need to know the relationships of the characters to each other and the dynamic with New Genesis and Apokolips. DC recently published a Kirby MM TPB... that's more than enough.

That should be sufficent.
You should read the rest of the new gods saga as well anyway just because it is so great though. Including the newsboy legion.

Are people hating on King's MM because he said dumb things about Orion?

To fully enjoy it? Nothing, since actually reading Kirby's Fourth World Saga would make you like King's Mister Miracle LESS, not MORE.

This.

Ignore this meme-loving imbecile.

>yes

He didn't just say dumb shit he's writing it nigga.

I'm in the same boat OP, I've never read anything about the New Gods and my only exposure to them are in DCAU shows. I have no idea what the fuck is going on or what their powers are or what their relationship to Granny Goodness is.

I don't understand why Granny Goodness seems to love them but at the same time tortured them or some shit?

What dumb shit are you talking about?

If he had signed a Marvel exclusive instead, Tom King could be still writing kino after kino like Vision. Instead he's stuck writing garbage like Batman and this.

t orion

>Orion is always written as this gruff, “Augh, I’m suffering!” kind of guy. He’s like the Wolverine of the New Gods, right? He’s like, “Oh, the world is so terrible, I’m the son of Darkseid, I’m destined to kill him, blah blah blah.” But, dude! He was raised in Heaven.
He’s like the bully who’s actually just the rich kid who grew up in a mansion. He’s like, “Oh, you don’t understand me!” Dude, you grew up on the upper west side, what are you talking about?! Whereas Scott has been through the shit, you know? He knows what’s up. So this idea that Orion would come to him and be like, “You don’t know how to deal with pain!” Scott’s thinking in that moment, “Dude, you’ve never even experienced pain. You’ve experienced angst. You’ve experienced the theory of pain, but you don’t know what it’s like to have Granny Goodness as the only person you love.”

New Gods fans REALLY didn't like this, which is why the Mister Miracle storytimes are such a shitstorm

Thats deliberate. Usually shes all out asshole but here she's actually motherly, likely due to Darkseid using the Anti-Life Equation to edit reality and try to break Scott.

Ignore these agents of Granny Goodness, OP. The book is fan-fucking-tastic.

>What is The Omega Men
>What is Darkseid War: Green Lantern
>What is The Sheriff of Babylon

And here come the King fanboys that never read a single Fourth World comic in their lives.

>Having these low of standards
For fucks sake at least reccomend a better King book for him

There's a bunch of memeing going on in those threads, like some autist false flaging as a Kingfag or others that just say it's shit but can't explain why.
My biggest problem is that it feels a bit dragged out and he's making them feel less like gods. I mean, Granny telling stories of the holocaust? saying that the all age in normal earth years...

>meh
>never read it but it's just a one shot
>another shit about le war

Psst... haters...

King's writing on MM is better than Kirby's you illiterate goons.

Low energy. Try again.

Thanks for the laugh user. That was a good one

>implying The Vision isn't shit about le war

What is this "anti life equation" and why is Darkseid trying to break Scott?

It was in a old ass comic King skimmed through and he thought Gerads would have a fun time butchering Darkseid's design.

>is the ''power'' , with the anti life equation you can cockslap sluts

>Anti-Life equation

The equation that proves life is meaningless, and what will allow Darkseid to control the universe.

>Why is Darkseid trying to break Scott?

He's the God of Tyranny who wants to replace everyone's free will with obedience to him, and as the God of Freedom Scott is the one (behind Orion possibly) who has the most chance of defeating him. So he's attempting to take him out of the picture by destroying him mentally and causing him to give up.

>butchering Darkseid's design.
What you babbling about? The design of the character? Darkseid hasn't even appeared in the series yet.

thanks for trying to explain it to me user I appreciate it.
I guess i'm just too much of a brainlet because I still don't understand the comic even with this context

Then just read Kirby's Fourth World

Everything Kirby New Gods and Mister Miracle.

Giffen and DeMatteis Mister Miracle and Justice League International if you want more Mister Miracle.

Walt Simonson's Orion

Seven Soldiers of Victory Mister Miracle.

Stay away drom anything Starlin New Gods, it's shit, stick to his Cosmic Marvel tho.

The sweet new DC Fourth World omnibus comes out in December. Can't wait.

Everything Kirby.

Abso-fucking-lutely everything Kirby.

Then throw this book in the trash and never look back.

Vision is a masterpiece.

it's okay if you don't care for new gods or just like have minor knowledge. king has a type which is turn hero into a cutting autist, no matter if it doesn't make sense.

IT'S THE ANTILIFE EQUATION YOU FUCKING BRAINLETTS. EVERY ONE IS OUT OF CHARACTER BECAUSE DARKSIED IS MAKING THEM SO GOD DAMN.

>inb4 that's stupid, kings stupid
You cannot take what kirby wrote in the 70s and tell me that it isn't all stupid and ludicrous. King is mirroring the OG Mister Miracle story while writing his own story with some really killer art.

Only seams to "get it".

Is it worth upgrading from the old four volume set to this?

so king's hate for orion is just darkseid, right? suuuuure

Orion being a raging dick bad IS DARKSIED doing because DARKSIED IS

oh of course, how could i not- actually yes i know, everyone knows, the plot is obvious as shit.

>yfw the twist is that there is no twist and King really is that bad at writing the New Gods

Well duh. It's stated outright by Scott that Orion probably is ANTILIFED. I didn't say that his story wasn't obvious.

No idea. But i don't have the four volume set, so...

Simonson's Orion > (((King's))) Mister Miracle

It's stories like this that make me realize how dumb most people that hate on cape comics are. Those are the same people that completely miss the point that the characters being OOC is intentional.

>some really killer art.
Fucking hilarious m8

This! Vision is shit that appeals to plebs with lowest standards

I like it fuck you. The sketchy look of it is A E S T H E T I C

And the shit filter and chromatic aberration is C A N C E R

>b-but it's a FEATURE!

W R O N G
R
O
N
G

It's cool and fits thematically with the book. Brainlets I swear.

>g-g-g-greentext stutter
Quality argument

Anyway OP there's like 3 or 4 issues of Forever People that you should read too.

You can't ignore the Starlin stuff, since the current wave of New Gods stuff DC is publishing (with Orion as an unlikable piece of shit, Bug being alive again) is heavily tied to the Starlin New Gods stuff.

As for Granny, I really hope they go full on meta with why she's so nice now.

Remember, Granny Goodness was EXPLICITLY removed from canon in the New 52. Pretty much EVERY Darkseid lackey got brought back except Granny, because Jim Lee thought she was too silly to work.

Just have Granny reveal that she survived Dr Manhattan using Flashpoint to rewrite reality and had a full on mental breakdown at being written out of existence, leading to her deciding to become a better person to Barda (one of the few people Granny Goodness ever gave a fuck about) and by default, Barda's husband Mr Miracle.

Make Granny Goodness a female version of Rick from Rick and Morty, except she actually gives a shit about her version of Jerry (Scott Free).

is the 1989 new gods considered Starlin shit?

Starlin only wrote the first two-three issues before DC fired him, due to internal backlash over Cosmic Odyssey.

Mark Evanier (an infamous industry hack and Kirby bootlicker) led the charge to get Starlin fired and wrote the bulk of the 1989 series.

It has it's moments but is pretty much fail, worse than Starlin's CO mini.

Evanier is a hardcore Orion apologist who wrote that the source EXPLICITLY kept Scott trapped on Apokalips/kept him from escaping so that he would not come back and fuck up the grand plans the Source had with regards to having Orion usurp his place as Highfather's only son. He also did a garbage arc where Orion tried to rescue his mom only for her to refuse to leave the comfortable spa type prison she was in/had her reject Orion to further hammer home that Orion (and not Scott) is Highfather's son.

Oh and a god-awful arc where Darkseid is made to look like a bitch running and hiding when his dad comes back from the source wall. Darkseid's dad is built up to be a huge fucking threat but pretty much all the build-up is wasted because rather than rape New Genesis, he tries once again to steal the power of the Source Wall and gets reimprisoned there AGAIN, at which point Darkseid comes back.

TLDR; it's so bad, it makes the mid-90s series where Rachel "Secret Tranny" Pollack's run look good, since Pollack at least had the balls to have Darkseid die fighting Orion

>It's meant to look like garbage
Kingfags I swear.

t. jelly dcboy
Vision is a masterpiece.

Just because you can't appreciate it, that does not mean it's bad. The theme of the story is about distorting perception so it makes sense for the art to reflect that.

>The theme of the story is about distorting perception
Guess that's what got some anons confused about this being a good comic. The art is shit and if he put even a modicum of effort into it he could have came up with a better way of showing it. You might take half assed work but I certainly won't.

>half assed
Mmkay.

It's not half assed even. Look I get it, you don't like the style. But the art is objectively not bad. The proportions are on point and the style is consistent through out. The colors are visceral and flashy when it's important and subdued and drab when they need to be to provide contrast and a reflection of Scott's inner thoughts and emotions. The distortion we see bleeding over the panels is supposed to be a visual que to the readers that Darksied is fucking around with reality.

You want bad art? See pic related

Thank you for posting one of the most stilted scenes as if it proves anything. Have a good one.

Larger size

It's a good comic but a terrible New Gods story.

>bad art

New fag here. Why is this a bad New Gods story? I have been enjoying it so far.

Salon likes this comic. That's enough for me to hate it.

A dark and edgy version of Kirby's the embodiment of freedom, Mister Miracle, while making everyone ooc for the sake of The Twist. A sort of slapping Kirby in the face.

lel

OP I've been reading some New Gods from 89 thru early 90s and learning about Orion, been a great time. Ignore the King hate, Mister Miracle has been a great read.