Adventure Time

What the hell happened happened to this show? When did it start being bad (ok not bad but not as good as the first seasons) in your opinion?

adventure time will cancelled in early 2018 with a cliffhanger

and after that, we move to /mlp/

Flame Princess

Shhhh, you're going to attract the autist who thinks nothing bad happened to it ever and the show is as great as it always was and everyone who thinks it went to shit is just a false flagging Steven Universe, Star vs the Forces of Evil, The Loud House, Ok KO, Gravity Falls, Fairly Oddparents, Regular Show, My Little Pony, Barney the Dinosaur, Sesame Street, and/or Paw Patrolfag.

finn became insufferable and i havent watched it since

everyone stopped giving a shit about this show after that bee episode.

It went through its teenage years phase. Complete with awkward romancing, (((deep))) dialogue and Finn jobbing it to make others look good.

Most people would say season 3, and that's completely reasonable, and I definitely agree it started to trend downward past that point, but personally I would say after Season 5 is when it became actually bad, and only got much worse much faster.

This basically.

I used to watch the show religiously every week until sometime in 2014. pretty sure it was around the time when flame princess was introduced

This

fpbp

When they spent years building up Finn's arm loss only for him to get it back because a bee wanted to fugg his flower ruined the show for countless people. Also Finn getting off on watching FP beat up Ice King.

I think it has legitimately gotten better if you're thinking about getting back into it. Maybe start somewhere around Re-Boot so you know who Fern is, if not start at Islands.

My, now ex, used to love watching Adventure Time. Here's the overall breakdown of how a super popular show went from great to forgotten:

>random adventures with funny characters changed to relationship and teenage drama.
>CN airing the show at odd times.
>Good staff leaving to start their own shows with the remaining staff just fucking up the established ideas.
>Introducing new characters that didn't fit with the existing.

Season 1 - 3 is good.
Season 4 - 6 is decent to bad
Season 7 went from bad, decent, to good again

I haven't watched any of season 8, if it has aired.

>I haven't watched any of season 8, if it has aired.

CN burned the whole season this year. Watch it, it's good.

It was fun and novel, then shitty writers started playing Teacher's Lounge Matchmaker with Penn's characters. Then it turned to weird, low-energy entry-level existentialism. So basically it's some uninteresting person's blog.

Okay, I had to go look at the episode list. I thought the Islands mini-series was season 7. I haven't watched any new episodes since that aired.

>Adventure Time
>The show that became bad but people can't explain how, why and when
Basically AT got bad once you got sick of it and for some people they've been saying that since the tail end of the first season. Which makes sense since its a 7 year old show. Basically when anyone says "most people" they're largely referring to themselves

>forgotten
>recently won a second emmy
>Which makes sense since its a 7 year old show.
This. I'm not sure why people dont understand that people can gradually move on from a show as it goes on. Doesn't mean the show is bad just that people dont keep up with it as much as they used to. Archer is approaching its 9th season next year yet the show doesn't get nearly as much discussion as it did 5 years ago. I don't really bother recommending AT to people who already dropped it anymore since it really goes beyond hating a few stinkers.

When did you think this happened? Because I agree that Finn got pretty bad at one point (feels like it was later season 5 to mid season 6, when he wasn't boring he was being an asshole) but now he's come back around to being my favorite protagonist of any cartoon I've watched.

that sounds about right. i stopped watching it in season 6. i'll catch up at some point since you aren't the first to say the show bounces back.

I think bounces back is a bit too much. It's just average to me now and i'm just waiting for it to end and see what happens to Finn.

Agreed. The difference between the absolute greatest season of AT and the absolute worst is 2 or 3 divisive episodes.

I feel like season 7 is pretty good, not great, and it gets its dick sucked a little too much, but season 8 I've legitimately considered to be some of the best content the show has put out. Not just the miniseries (though I loved them both) but the regular episodes too. If they can pull together their million retarded plot threads there can be a satisfying ending to the show, I'd say.

Well if it went from shit to average that's still bouncing back in't it?

ah. well, it's been running for a while. i don't expect it to be like it was in its prime. if it's watchable, that's enough for me.

first season wasn't good.

today's quality is up to what followed.

But that's fucking wrong. If you've seen even a bit of the newer seasons you'd realize how much worse it is than the older ones, and it's only worse when you've seen it all across the span of years.

>Basically when anyone says "most people" they're largely referring to themselves
Or referring to interactions with other people who've seen the show, which is supported by statistically undeniable ratings differences.
>>recently won an emmy
Implying awards matters when your shows ratings and dvd sales are both shit.
>Archer is approaching its 9th season next year yet the show doesn't get nearly as much discussion as it did 5 years ago
Not as good as it was 5 years ago. And this is Sup Forums no one talks about anything unless it's really bad or really good and Archer is just kind of in the middle nowadays.
>first season wasn't good
This is the stupidest thing I've read on this board

/mlpat/ with time will turn into /mlpatsuzim/

>which is supported by statistically undeniable ratings differences.
>/co./ hates Brezzy
>yet its one of the more criticially acclaimed episodes on AVCLUB and imdb

Also using ratings as an argument doesn't really hold up when everything on the network is down

>If you've seen even a bit of the newer seasons you'd realize how much worse it is than the older ones, and it's only worse when you've seen it all across the span of years.
Have you actually rewatched season 1 of Adventure Time? It had its fair share of stinkers and episodes in which nothing of significance happens

Only brainless bandwagon faggots don't like AT. I'm sad it is ending.

TTG is the highest rated show on CN now yet its among the most critically panned shows from this decade. Just pointing out for a show that's been "forgotten" its still getting recognized for some reasons
>dvd sales are shit
Then why do they keep releasing them? Regular Show did so poorly on DVD that they pretty much halted releases of them.

This. Got good again in season seven though.

Stop being a brain dead faggot

>its one of the more criticially acclaimed episodes on AVCLUB and imdb
Revolution 60 has critical acclaim, but that doesn't make it good.

This honestly. What a fucking shit character.

marceline the cuck queen

i liked season 4

It was a good season desu, even if you hate Flame Princess she showed up like 3 times.
It had episodes like
>Nightosphere eps
>Card Wars
>Sons of Mars
>Goliad
>Lady and Peebles
>Beyond this Earthly Realm
>Burning Low
>Lich
>I Remember You

Plenty of good episodes and only a few I think were shit, season 5 was proportionally a lot worse I think

Season 3>2=8>1>4>7>5.1>5.2>6
I think it's fair to say that AT is at present better than it's been for a good number of years

I don't think it ever became bad. There was some lackluster stuff at the end of the whole Flame Princess arc, but I don't think it ever became a bad show and I think the last couple of seasons have more than made up for any lackluster episodes. My biggest criticism at the moment is the pace of the "story." I know the show was much more focused on world than story(and there's nothing wrong with that, it's a big part of what I've always liked about the show) but now that we're nearing what appears to be a forced cutoff date by CN, I don't know how the writers can satisfactorily wrap up the loose-ends they've left. The two seasons(?) have been HEAVILY story and lore driven. They've accelerated the plot drastically. And while that's made them really interesting, it's also made it feel like the writers may be scrambling to tie things up. Really makes me concerned for how they'll end the show.

>When did it start being bad
It was always bad.

>the "story."
Even the most stubborn supporter of this shitfest admits the show has no story.

Besides Adventure time not being great as it used to be (even writers admitted that) the ADVENTURE TIME IS RUINED meme is a pretty old one.

Surely it had rage inducing moments (the resolution of Flame Princess drama for example) , but they kept doing their stuff, at same time never running out of ideas and nice concepts, the heart of the show for sure.
It was 9 years of Adventure Time. There is no way something could stand as "pure perfection" that long. At same giving it "ABSOLUTELY GARBAGE 0/10" because one or two frustrating seasons is just as stupid.

One decade later and it still one of the most improbable success of animation.

>critical acclaim
>doesn't mean its good

I never got this show. When it came out and everybody was raving about it on Sup Forums I gave it a watch but I was just nonplussed, completely baffled. I thought maybe people were being ironic but no, they sincerely loved it. It was at that moment I was afraid I had "grown out of" cartoons as I had long feared I would, the dreaded coming of age where only boring adult stuff would hold my attention. But that was not the case, I still like cartoons, but the appeal of Adventure Time is a mystery to me. I could go on at length about why I don't like it, but I'd like some concise explanations about what people do like about it. Cause it's never made sense to me.

I don't care that much and I hope the show doesn't either. They gotta trim the fat and go for the ones that are most important; stuff like finalizing Finn's development, sending off the Lich for good, and resolving Simon and Betty are a lot more important than things like Maja and Elephant, Prismo's boss, or Golb.

If you wanna say the story is shit then be my guest but it definitely exists. It's less a story and more lots of arcs though.

>Revolution 60 has critical acclaim
>The game currently has a 73/100 on the video game review score aggregator Metacritic based on eight critics, however user reviews have an average of 2.1

Since when?

You don't have to like what most others like.

Yeah I get that, there's plenty of stuff I don't like but I can still understand why other people like it. I get the appeal. But with Adventure Time I don't get it at all. It's the first and pretty much only instance of my having a total disconnect with public opinion. It continues to gnaw at me and make me feel out of touch, like there's some zeitgeist I am unable to perceive.

I just like it man. It's usually pretty funny, I think most of the characters are interesting and charming, really good voice acting, the writing is good enough to have actually affected me at times.
The thing I probably like the least is the art style but it's never been bad enough for me to be bothered by it.

When it first came out it was just a breath of fresh air compared to CN's output bar Flapjack and Chowder so I think that's a big part of why people loved it. Like, wow CN made something not shit, awesome, you know?
It sounds like you just couldn't gel with it which is something that happens sometimes, nobodies fault man.

>I say so, therefore it's true

The story always existed as background concept (Nuclear war, last boy on Earth, etc) by Pen Ward, but for him it was just background jokes and hints. Muto and Sugar started expanding it (Ice King past, Marceline issues, etc) and it never stopped since then.
The show, all and all, is about silly adventures of a boy and his dog, but there's no denying the inserted stories and dramas spice it up in order to not make it so repetitive .

>unironically being an elitist

>just like it man. It's usually pretty funny, I think most of the characters are interesting and charming, really good voice acting, the writing is good
With due respect, I believe almost the exact opposite of all these statements. I agree Adventure Time was very different from CN's line up at the time, but I didn't equate different to good. I watched the entire first season of Adventure Time, and aside from one or two catchy songs I have nothing else good to say about it.

It's not that it doesn't have story. I put story in quotations because it doesn't have a singular story that it focuses on. Rather, it has a multitude of intermingled stories.

I'm not a "stubborn supporter." I'm someone that enjoys the show. If I ever stopped enjoying it I'd stop watching it. I think that alone disqualifies me from being a "stubborn supporter."

Well then that's just a difference of opinions my man (though I feel like you could give the VA work some credit because I can feel the effort and enthusiasm from the actors). You don't like it, I do, those things won't change.

But those are the reasons why I personally like it.

>I mean who cares about critics anyway? Now, MY opinion, that's the one everyone should consider!

Are you into fantasy stuff like tabletop D&D games? Adventure Time is all about being a boy and his blob-dog having fantastic D&D-like adventures with princesses and dragons and stuff set in a post-apocalyptic setting.
If you're not into fantasy stuff, then you might not be into Adventure Time.

It's become more mediocre and bleh than good to me. Sure things are advancing, but there's no punch or feeling of gratification to me. Just "well, that happened."

put it out of its misery