Thor

Don't get me wrong, this movie looks like it could be really enjoyable, it's just I really don't feel like this is Thor anymore. Like they just sort of replaced him with some totally different character and are going "see? People like Thor now." He had at least some characterization over the last four films he's been in, but they're just abandoning it.
It's disappointing, to say the least. Reeks of the same sort of shit James Gunn did with Guardians of the Galaxy, which just makes me worried about any future films marvel puts out.

Other urls found in this thread:

rottentomatoes.com/m/thor_ragnarok_2017
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's a comedy, at one point they replace him with Matt Damon as a meta-gag. Thor stopped being Thor when they decided to drop the Norse Mythology angle for aliens with norse names because religion triggers fedoras

What happened to this Thor

I think it still is Thor
Thor here reminds me back when he first came to Earth in Thor 1. Which imo is good as I have fun watching him and the actor is having fun being the character.

He seems pretty faithful to the comic to me.

See, I disagree with that. Stupid as it may sound I feel like he actually felt like Thor in AoU, he was probably just about the only fucking character that they got right in that movie. And his characterization in Thor 1 was spot on, despite it being a shitty movie.

I think this is an upgrade personally

Yeah but it being a comedy doesn't mean they have to betray his character. You can still make him act like Thor and talk like Thor in a comedy. This new version of him doesn't seem worthy in the slightest.

>Reeks of the same sort of shit James Gunn did with Guardians of the Galaxy
Man am I tired of hearing this shit. Giffen and DnA retrofitted those characters just as much Gunn did. For the most part Gunn just took the older and newer versions and threw them in a blender with some spice of his own. And the result was quite enjoyable and wildly more successful than any heights the characters had previously reached. That is not to spit on the comics, because I've been reading Cosmic for a long-ass time and love its many iterations with every fiber of my soul. And having done so I have witnessed first-hand how writers take a character and change them to suit the needs of the story they want to tell. Just look at Warlock for fuck's sake.

I'll shut up now because this is a Thor thread but if you can't see the DNA (ha) of the comic Guardians in their movie versions you must not have read enough.

>Handles a very serious but very cool part of both Hulk and Thor
>it's a comedy.

I just wish they hadn’t cut his hair.

>First Thor was a disappointment when IM, TIH and IM2 where good mivies IMHO.

>Thor 2 came out and its literally the only MCU movie i did not watch on the movie theater because I already knew it was gonna be shit (thanks internet)

>Was never interested in the third one just by the looks of pic related.
Same shit allover again

>They changed the logo
Ok you got my attention

>First trailer came out and they are doing basically Planet Hulk inside a Thor movie
Go on, you got me intrigued now.

>New trailers and movie clips pretty much show this is going to be a kick ass space vikings adventure with Hulk on board.
Mother fukers i have my mid night tickets now!

So yeah old thor was always boring and it was more than obvious the studio was pushing for that character and movies because MUH MARVEL TRINITY bs.

What are you talking about OP? That's the poster for Guardians of the Galaxy 3

>Asgardians of the Galaxy

>IM2 where good mivies IMHO
>IM2
>good

itt: cheeky bastards

I agree with OP, for the most part.
In Thor 1 he was a dick, but the whole point of it was for him to be humbled.
In Thor 2 he actually seemed like a normal person reacting to things instead of a character.
In this, going by literally every trailer and promo, it seems all of that is gone to make way for some jokes. I'm guessing the movie goes:
>Thor leaves after Avengers 2
>Gets to Asgard and sees Loki's in charge
>Hela attacks and breaks his hammer
>Sent to Sakaar
>Blah blah break out
>Go back to Asgard and defeat Hela

The stakes will be extremely high from the beginning and all we see from him is jokes. "He's a friend from work!"
>Your Dad is dead or missing
>Asgard is fucked
>You're forced to fight your friend in a gladiator pit
>Your friends are dying/dead
>Ragnarok is literally the end of all times.

But jokes and the Hulk will literally be what gets this movie a 7.5/10.

>because religion triggers fedoras

Boy, have you ever got that angle wrong. Atheists don't care about fictional gods in fictional stories like the MCU. It's the christians and muslims who get their panties in a bunch over other gods being treated as real even within a work of fiction. Having Odin testily bellow "WE ARE NOT GODS" in the opening of Thor 2 was all about pacifying fretful christian parents who might otherwise boycott the movies.

I want a real Thor movie and a real Hulk movie.

But they're not real.

NotmyThor

Uh-oh! Someone who's unfamiliar with the concept of fiction has stumbled onto the board. Boy, the discussions we're having here must be incredibly confusing and disorienting for you. I bet we all just look like a bunch of crazy people to you! Well don't worry; we're all just engaging in some playful make-believe, buddy. Just play along and you'll get the hang of it.

Hercules has a mace that is as durable as Mjölnir, made of adamantine, or so they say, but he doesn't use it, he(Marvel) prefers to walk around with a mace he found out in a back alley.

This, I'm afraid.

>I really don't feel like this is Thor anymore
It's Brotard Thor.
He's a big dummy who likes dwinking mead.

That's like what European tribes believed in as a religion for a thousand years, right? Totally mythologically accurate.

Yeah, sure DnA made the characters a little more humorous.

But Gunn's movies are so goofy and stupid they make the DnA comics seem like gothic horror stories in comparison.

They realized the 1970s nostalgia gimmick was wildly popular as part of the GotG appeal, so they shoehorned a 1980s nostalgia on top of the otherwise-lackluster Thor franchise.

The move feels very Warner Brothers to me. "Dark and brooding works in the ever-popular Bat-movies, lets do that to make Superman popular". Er, no.

I suspect I'm going to go through the Thor movie going "thats cool and all, but... what does it have to do with Thor again?"

The whole "gods are just aliens" thing that has become way too popular in fiction descends from that Arthur C. Clarke quote about magic being technology we don't understand yet. Since that became a stupid overused trope, turning gods into aliens was the next logical step.

Alternatively, you could say the god-alien angle was inspired by the book Chariot of the Gods, which postulated that aliens were behind every supernatural event recorded in the Bible and other religious texts.

I can't speak for Muslims, but as someone living one of the most Catholic parts of the Bible belt, I've never seen anyone among my many religious family members and friends ever give one solitary shit about mythological gods being in movies. I say this as someone who was raised in a very religious household and watched Disney's Hercules repeatedly as child.

As someone raised Protestant, it was a massive issue and one of the reasons I didn't end up seeing Hercules until I moved out.

Why are Hollywood execs so tone-deaf anyway?

Yeah, I wouldn't expect Catholics to be too concerned about it anymore. A couple of hundred years ago, sure, but these days they've mellowed out about that type of thing. But evangelicals and such? Hoo-boy, they do NOT like their kids being exposed to even the most trivial examples of other peoples' religions. The echo chamber has to be kept intact.

And of course this is true of any sort of fundamentalist religion. I'm sure that the same is true of ultra-orthodox Jews and fundamentalist muslims and such. But it's mostly protestant christians that you need to worry about keeping happy in the US, since they're the most likely to be willing and able to set up meaningful protests and boycotts, just by the numbers.

I was raised in an evangelical Protestant household. There was a time during the 80's and early 90's (the so-called "Satanic panic") when that sort of thing might have been an issue, but from experience of interactive with Catholics and other Protestants, it hasn't been for a long time.

And in any case, a bit of googling shows that nothing even close to a religious boycott of Thor 1 happened, so that's probably not why that line is in Thor 2.

>makes a cereal cape movie
>it bombs

I get ripped for saying it but I'd rather have seen a Peter Jackson Thor trilogy than this shit.

#1 was comfy cute superhero flick to take your girlfriend to, #2 was something, and #3 is clearly just Guardians of Thor's Galaxy. Anyone who disagrees with that is a shill or so biased they basically are shills.

And if they think Hemsworth is an upgrade they never read thor before 2015 and don't belong in this thread.

>Jackson Thor trilogy
>it's just Thor walking around mountains for nine hours
>not even shades of Kirby's Asgard, just generic fantasy
mugga pls

>not even shades of Kirby's Asgard, just generic fantasy
Pretty much tells me you're talking out of your ass. If you think two middling pieces of shit with no Kirby influence and one Guardians of Thor's Galaxy with maybe six frames in 2 hours of Kirby influence then you don't belong here.

And if this is you implying that Jackson didn't have any shades of Tolkien you're too /lit/ to be here as well.

this for

>it's just Thor walking around mountains for nine hours
This tells me you didn't read Tolkien.

>cereal cape movie
Johns is that you?

>Ragnarok is literally the end of all times.

No it's not motherfucker. Do you even Norse mythology? Ragnarok is the climactic battle that precedes the world's rebirth. Existence does not end with Ragnarok, if anything it moves on to a purer shape.

I'm pretty confident I'll enjoy this movie because I love Taika Waititi's style of comedy, unlike Gunn and Whedon who are just trying way too hard it ends up being cringeworthy. However, is too much to ask to get at least another movie in the MCU that has the tone of TWS?

At this point only Black Panther has a chance of not being a really lighhearted action-comedy and I hope they go for a more serious tone. The Russos are pretty much the most restrained directors in the MCU when it comes to comedy (tone-breaking airport battle aside), but with the GotG being a big part of Infinity War I'm concerned about the tone. The fact that it's been confirmed Gunn wrote the dialogue for the GotG in IW makes me dread it even more, hopefully the Russos have enough freedom to say "dude, I understand these characters are the comedy dispensers, but please stop undercutting EVERY dramatic scene with a shitty joke". Say what you will about Civil War, at least the last fight between Cap and Tony was treated seriously from beginning to end.

People tend to throw shade on the DCEU for being embarrassed of their characters and hiding them behind darkness.

But the MCU is doing the same thing by hiding their heroes behind a giant whoopie cushion. The MCU bigwigs know the concept of caped heroes is inherently ridiculous, so they make no hesitation to point it out at every opportunity. In effect, they turn their heroes into sideshow freaks. Heroes become monkeys drinking their own piss in a zoo for children’s entertainment. It shows an utter disrespect for the pantheon of heroes that should inspire us all our lives. But instead they give us a hearty chuckle, and we forget them days after seeing them.

>At this point only Black Panther has a chance of not being a really lighhearted action-comedy and I hope they go for a more serious tone.
Which angers me to no end. Not that I don't want more of that but it angers me that they respect the black character (as respectful as a xenophobic african nation appreciating american rap can be) and not any other character.

They made Strange a fucking joke, Thor's a fucking joke and Tony's a fucking joke. But the black dude? Oh no he's not a joke, he's super fucking cool and badass. And HuffPo can tell all the normies that he's one of the most powerful heroes at Marvel.

Meh, I can't be too angry about it. Since him and Cap are pretty much the only main characters left who aren't serial quippers, I'll take it as a win even if they take Black Panther more seriously only because they're afraid of the backlash. At least it's consistent to his comic characterization and his Civil War characterization.

Tony was alright in Civil War, it was the first time I actually enjoyed the character since Iron Man 1. He was basically a self-parody starting with Avengers, but at least they showed his messed up side more in Civil War. I don't know if it will continue in Infinity War or he'll just turn back to the smug jokester again, but eh, we'll see. My biggest problem is with the GotG, I just can't fucking stand James Gunn's characterization of them and his shitty unfunny "humor". Normally I just avoid his terrible movies, but I'm annoyed that the GotG will be a big part of Infinity War. I've been looking forward to this movie for so long and I'm thrilled they got rid of Whedon in favor of the Russos, but I'm afraid the GotG will just ruin it. I like almost all of the movie Avengers (even wildly hated ones on Sup Forums like Black Widow), so I want this movie to be their big sendoff without Drax randomly starting to laugh every 5 minutes.

Well, Infinity War is directed by the same directors as Civil War, so do expect something similar from Civil War

I'm not concerned about the Avengers themselves since they'll be written by Markus & McFeely, just the Guardians side that will have Gunn heavily involved. This movie will take place 4 years after the events of GotG 2 and I can guarantee that Gunn will just have them as immature as ever, with no real character development done in the meantime.

I was actually excited to see the Russo's take on the GotG (since they actually managed to make me like Iron Man and Black Widow after being annoyed/indifferent to them for so long), but it seems like Gunn just can't let it fucking go even when it's not his movie.

Jesus, imagine living in a world where the presence of humor and jokes in a superhero movie elicits this much anger.

Fedoras love Norse God's though.
>Odin promised to end the Frost Giants, do you see any Frost Giants? xD :P

Norsefags are almost always either Fedoras, or if they're not, then they're as near as damn it that they might as well be.

Imagine being this disingenuous.

rottentomatoes.com/m/thor_ragnarok_2017
DC shills working overtime... do they know something we don't about the JL reviews?

Norsefags are also often fans of metal, and we all know that metal is fedora as fuck.

Marvel Thor has never been Mythologically Accurate.

Thor was never a good or popular comics character anyway.

>who is Donald Blake?

The problem is that Thor doesn't actually fit into the capeshit movie mold Marvel has been working on. The best Thor stories focus more on Norse mythology and fantasy, and Marvel's writers could never figure out how to translate that to the screen, or it's more that they just refused to, so the first two Thor movies were forced romance garbage that tried to appeal to morons and women who wanted a self-insertion fantasy. They realized that was crap, so they cut their losses and just made it into GotG 3.

>It's Brotard Thor.
>He's a big dummy who likes dwinking mead.
I guess. I've just realized how awkward he seems now. It's as though Hemsworth and the writers have completely given up all efforts to find Thor's character, and have just settled on making him a goofy dude who cracks jokes while wearing the armor of a Norse god, because LOL you'd think he should be serious, but he's not!

I wasn't a big fan of Wonder Woman because of how generic it was, but at least they didn't totally abort and trivialize her character like this.

A humour based Thor movie is going a bit too far, though. Thor is, or at least used to be, one of Marvel's sterner characters.

And making a humour based Thor movie and basically excluding Volstagg just shows how wrong they got this.

Thor should have been like the Hobbit or LOTR movies but only Peter Jackson could do that, all other fantasy movies sucked balls.

With Universal still hanging on to that tiny bit of Hulk, that's not going to happen.

They don't know what to do with tradiotionally masculine characters/actors.

See Drax or Tony's ego.

If they aren't comfortable putting masculine characters on screen unless they're a joke.

>inb4 what about cap.
Cap is hardly masculine, he's a small guy with a big heart in a masculine body.

I think Del Toro would have managed, but the bigger problem was the writing. They decided to ignore most of the fantastical space viking stuff in favour of a generic fish-out-of-water shitty chickflick for the first movie, then a bland sci-fi-fantasy-as-a-backdrop for a yet even more shitty chickflick in the second.

Dropping Jane and the overfocus on earth is a good step in the right direction and absolutely needed, but turning it into GotGv3: We 80s Now is a blatant desperation move from a studio that hasn't the first fucking clue how to handle Thor as a character, let alone as a franchise.

>Climactic battle
>People dying
>Rebirth

What does this have to do with anything I said? People are dying. Take your 'do you even' memes back to the basement.

Well isn't that what the comics side did? Replaced Thor and started screaming that people liked new thor better?

depends on which Peter Jackson trilogy you are talking about if it's like LotR, yeah fucking amazing. If it's like The Hobbit, no no no no fuck no plz no get this godawful dumpster fire away from me.

Uh, did you read the Lee/Kirby run? Or everything else that came after that? There was always a sci fi angle. Galactus', Celestials, etc. They've been there from the beginning. An Elder of the Universe ain't out of Thor's wheelhouse period

except the Hobbit trilogy is 3 of the worst fucking movies ever made

The last one had good action sequences, straight capeshit stuff

They're bad films, but they're not even remotely near being considered some of the worst films ever made.

I just want space fantasy action.
Why they gotta go super obvious quirky.
Why not at least go ridiculous campy that's still played straight like Flash Gordon or He-Man or something.

The biggest butthurt was among the stormfront types over Idris Elba

I think your expectations are too high. I just want this movie to have some nice effects and quip my socks off.

This is just cliche gladiator protagonist.

Thor 1 and Avengers 1 also had dialogue where they say they're not gods. The line in 2 was just continuing the theme.

>Del Toro completing a project
That's funny. You're funny.

I'm confused. Did the movie leak or something? Everyone is talking like they've seen it already.

>Marvel's Thor isn't science-fiction, it's pure magical fantasy! The movies should have been like Lord of the Rings!
I really hate these casual circlejerks

I agree.

Are we getting the World Serpent? I know we're getting Fenrir and Surtur, but I haven't heard or seen anything about Jormungandr

Marvel's Thor was always sci-fi space with some Shakespearean shit on the side put through a Kirby filter. Even when they brought more Norse elements.

The movie feeling like GotG? Well they both are influenced by 70's Cosmic Marvel which was trippy and really colorful. Gunn has nostalgia for that stuff anf Taika said he's mostly influenced by Kirby.

It wasn't until Simonson started writing that he really gave the stories that Norse myth feel.

Honestly I think it shoud be half science fiction and half Norse myth, but the movies fucked up on the latter by making Thor and the others into aliens instead of Gods or Cosmic beings.

Can you blame them? I wouldn't want my son praying to Chris Hemsworth after seeing this shlock.

Donald hasn't been a must of the Thir mythos since Simonson's Thor.

Also Iron Man and Cap weren't popular before the movies

I hate to break it to you, but Kirby's version of Thor isn't the definitive version.

I have to agree with you on this and this is coming from someone who is still looking forward to seeing it but I'm still a little bummed that apparently this is going to be a full blown comedy.

I don't mind comedy at all but I just wish that this had a more somber tone to it and I'm livid that Cate is going to be wasted as a villain.

Imagine being this retarded. Have a pity (You)

I'm giving the movie a pass because:

1. They turned the scope of his stories from a mythological epic to some kind of buddy-adventure movie.
2. The costumes look put-on as Hell.
3. The CGI looks horrid, especially that "CGI crowd" and the part where Hulk jumped.
4. A little nitpicky, but I'm just not feeling the stakes here. Like I can go in and expect it all to be fine by the end instead of me being at the edge of my seat.

Markus and Mcfeely are comic nerds and you can tell by their interview comments and their commentary in the Cap movies, they even had some interesting ideas.

But they have to adhere to what Feige and the Russos want and sometimes I am not into their ideas but it's what's been making them money.

>how dare you not hold that one version of Thor above all others
Do you know what an opinion is?

Not even that guy, but the argument can be made that Simonson's Thor is the definitive version. I wouldn't disagree with either opinion.

The costumes look like shit, the only one that's even remotely passable is Hela and that's because it's turning me on.
>The CGI looks horrid, especially that "CGI crowd" and the part where Hulk jumped.
I'm with you there, that fucking "field" that they, apparently, redid all the scenes in is one of the worst greenscreens I've ever seen for a big budget movie.

You're right, Simonson's is, and he introduced fucking Beta Ray Bill.

>Donald hasn't been a must of the Thir mythos since Simonson's Thor.

Not entirely true, JMS brought him back in the 00s.

And Jake Olsen is basically Don Blake in witness protection.

Why ripped ? The Thor trilogy is a fucking mess. Ragnarok is so tonally different it may as well be a reboot

Lets face it, Thor has been fucked both in books and movies for years. I'm starting to loose faith that he'll ever recover. Christ, Sup Forums came up with a better Thor design than the upcoming one

Yes, but Walt Simonson's is and he waa the same. This thread is casual as fuck, moviefags looking for something to bitch about and probably retarded neopagan sorts to boot.