Yo there, so I kind of want to get into Thor, but I want to know what the "best" Thor stories are...

Yo there, so I kind of want to get into Thor, but I want to know what the "best" Thor stories are. I know that Walt Simonson's run is the most acclaimed, but I'm just after stories to start rather than runs, because I have read comics for a while and though some writers have amazing runs others have meh runs with some great stories in them. Also, the good Thor story doesn't even necesarily be in Thor's own comics, he could have a badass story in a crossover, event, or hell in a team book (like Avengers).

So yeah, any thoughts for good Thor stories?

>Pic related is my [spoiler[unabashedly favorite Thor look[/spoiler]

So what's like

Other urls found in this thread:

readcomiconline.to/Comic/Thor-God-of-Thunder
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Thor-1998
youtube.com/watch?v=q631uZ6DQzg
youtube.com/watch?v=BZXq_8k72XQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Just read Simonson's run, user.

Should I bother with earlier runs? How is Kirby's run?

DO NOT read events for good Thor stories (unless it is Ragnarok but even then only the Thor book Ragnarok stories)

Self contained stories start with
>For Asgard by Robert Rodi
>Thor and Loki Blood Brothers by Robert Rodi
>Heaven and Earth by Jurgens

Then buck the fuck up and read Simonson's run

The Mighty Thor: I, Whom the Gods Would Destroy

Fantastic. Best Lee/Kirby comic after Fantastic Four. You'd be fine skipping straight to Simonson, but there's nothing wrong with starting with Lee/Kirby.

Is Thor Ragnarok itself worth reading?

It's happened so many times it's not worth talking about it as a sole thing. It's easier to talk about authors and runs. Simonson's Ragnarok was a great payoff to a brilliant buildup

1-12 here...
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Thor-God-of-Thunder
80-85 here...
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Thor-1998

Stern had a good run too right, he practically invented the ragnarok cycle? Even if Simonson later contradicted it.

Did Stern do a Thor run? I'm a bit of a fan of Stern so wouldn't necessarily be opposed to reading that.

Walt Simonson's run is great
I'd also check out Ragnarok it is not a Marvel Thor story but it is essentially Simonson doing what he would do if Marvel told him to tell the Last Thor story

nigga check out the bomb ass old cartoon,

CROSS THE RAINBOW BRIDGE OF ASGARD
WHERE THE BOOMING HEAVENS ROAR
YOU'LL BEHOLD IN BREATHLESS WONDER
THE GOD OF THUNDER!, MIGHTY THOR! youtube.com/watch?v=q631uZ6DQzg

almost every run of Thor is good
he's probably the most consistently written Big 2 character

Dude, I never knew about these. They're awesome when you're stoned.

youtube.com/watch?v=BZXq_8k72XQ

dont mind the background lol

>almost every run of Thor is good

There was a serious dip in the mid 90s after Defalco, but I would largely agree. The worst it usually gets is unremarkably middling.

Jason Aaron's.

Yeah, that's part of why I wanna give Thor a go, push I like High Fantasy mixed with sci fi and Thor seems to do that.

Simonson's run is the only absolutely essential Thor run. Every part of it is better than any other Thor stories ever.

It's OK. Nothing mind-blowing, but there are occasional issues here or there that still hold up.

is the meme-ist
almost every other run has better writing

>The writer that gets every single Thor character wrong
Might as well scribble "Thor" onto the front of an issue of America and call it a day.