MCU Post-Infinity War

What's going to happen after Infinity War? How will it affect the status quo?

I'm thinking the ending of IW will be somewhat like Heroes Reborn in that we get a "soft" reboot where the universe is rewritten and they have a reason to cast new actors.

Anyone else have any ideas?

I doubt it, they'd be too scared to change anything about this franchise until the money starts to die down. More likely they'll just try and push the old characters more to the background and try to get the newer ones to take their spots. Iron Man, Cap and Thor will keep getting cameos and supporting roles but won't get their own movies.

Kids who were 8-10 when Avengers came out (peak toy buying age) are now 13-15, so they'll want to start pushing the next round of characters now to get the kids who are going to be 8-10 when Infinity War comes out.

Adult nerds will watch whatever Marvel tells them to so they won't mind it either.

They'll start leading up to Kree-Skrull War next.

I'm planning on hearing in the next year or so, that Marvel got the rights to the Fantastic Four back, but they're keeping everything on the QT.
This would explain why Tony is selling Avengers Tower, because it will be renamed the Baxter Building (perfect idea for an end-credits stinger.)
Also, it opens up a whole new world of possible characters that are now tied up in the F4's rights, but would be huge parts of the MCU. Then, we can have Doom, Galactus, (A possible Big Bad for the post-Infinity War MCU) the Silver Surfer, Namor, and all the other characters tied up in the F4 universe.
An idea I heard that actually makes sense both for the characters and the MCU is to make the accident that created the F4 also shoot them forward in time from the 1960's. This would explain why no one seems to know about them, except maybe Hank Pym, why they could get away with some odd (Mad-Men-esque chauvinistic) behavior from Reed and Johnny, and they could just say that Reed's investments have done well in the past 60 years, so he could afford the Avengers Tower/Baxter Building. We'd also get some great 1960's style flashbacks. Plus, Peter Parker could intern/work for Reed Richards, while as Spider-Man, he tries to join the Fantastic Four. Doom would be pissed that he was scarred when Reed's rocket took off, and that he's 60 years older than Reed now.
This could also potentially set up something with the Illuminati, including Reed, Tony Stark, Dr. Strange, Black Panther, and Black Bolt as the Smartest People on the Planet, who keep fucking things up.
I seriously doubt they'll get the X-Men in the MCU like, ever.

Oh yeah, and the Skrulls are going to be in the MCU, and they've been part of the F4 rights package since the beginning.

Sucks that Fox can let Mcu have the rights to Skrulls, but not to Galactus or Doom

God damn i hope he stays nomad.

>Galactus, (A possible Big Bad for the post-Infinity War MCU)
every time with this retarded-ass bullshit

read a comic sometime mugga goddamn

Captain America will become Bucky after Steve dies

Iron Man will stay dead, Black Panther be the new tech guy

Carol Danver's future films will introduce Kamala

Spider-Man keeps chugging with a film every 2 years

Avengers 5 will be Secret Invasion

GOTG 3 will set up a big cosmic arc

Phase 6 will culminate in Secret Wars

the mcu started before the big inclusivity push. expect all the new heroes that are diverse and fun not this trash that is peddled on us that furthers white supremacy

>They'll start leading up to Kree-Skrull War next.
I thought that was Carol Danver's film.

I also want to see Iron Man 4 be RDJ's swansong as Tony Stark, inspired by the Demon in the Bottle storyline. His PTSD has made him a drunk (maybe even a junkie) and a bad Iron Man. So, he fights his addiction dragons, while also overcoming them to fight an actual dragon. That's right, fuckers, Fin Fang Foom would happen, and he'd be more of a symbolic victory for Tony after Tony gets his shit together. The REAL Mandarin would help bring this about, with alien (Kree or Skrull or other) technology in his rings, and aided by the Hand from the Netflix Universe.
It would be a much smaller, more character driven movie, almost like Logan was for Jackman and Stewart. Most of it would be a story of overcoming addiction, which is really damn hard and emotional.

I want to Armor Wars to happen in the MCU. but the Real Mandarin and Fin Fan Foom are great too

I was just trying to think of another Cosmic-Level threat on the level of Thanos to bring the whole MCU together again, without using the X-Men.

>>Iron Man 4
>>Be a Logan sendoff

Just stop it. Just because Logan was a good send off doesn't mean you need every movie where a lead character to bow out to be Logan. If we're honest, Iron Man 3 was the in depth look of Tony Stark without the suit, so having an entire film of Tony being drunk and sorry for himself would be utterly boring. It would be like saying the Avengers need to fight the Chitari again.

Beyonders.

that's because you don't read comics

Galactus is not an event villain, hell hes barely a "villain" at all, and he's never dealt with by a bunch of heroes crossing over and punching him really hard

They had their chance to do demon in a bottle TWICE (Iron Man 2 and 3) and they've always been too pussy to go through with it

>Kids who were 8-10 when Avengers came out are now 13-15

Fuck.

This is a valid point. I was just trying to think of where MCU Iron Man could go, based on his most famous comic storyline. Which would also be a very emotionally dark movie, unless you handwave addiction recovery, which would get some REAL heavy backlash. Without it taking a heavy toll on Tony, you'd completely misrepresent what addiction is like. Without that darker component, this movie would be like the "Very Special Episode" of the MCU, where everyone learns a lesson about how drugs and alcohol are bad. Cheesy? You betcha. But done right, it could be brilliant.

I'd like them to go full cosmic, with some form of Annihilation spinning off of Infinity War. Make Nova a direct sequel to Infinity War, and go from there.

Guardians of the Galaxy 3 and Doctor Strange 2 are going to happen in Phase 4.

Fourth Captain America and Thor movies will depend in whether Evans and Hemsworth sign on for more, but Captain America movies could easily continue with Bucky or Falcon taking over the job.

They're probably planning for Ant-Man 3, plus sequels to Black Panther and Captain Marvel, but can't fully commit to them until they know how successful the Phase 3 movies end up being.

A fifth Avengers movie for Phase 4 is inevitable, it's just a question of who the team will be by then.

Iron Man 4 and Hulk 2 are looking increasingly unlikely, while further MCU Spider-Man movies will depend on whether the current deal with Sony extends or not.

Given all of that, we're unlikely to see a reboot or a lot of re-casting.

Nah, only Super Skrull and a few other named skrulls are part of Fox's rights, The skrulls as a whole belong to Marvel and Fox

I find it so funny that people want all the marvel rights under one roof so everyone would fight Galactus.

You know, a fight where everyone is ineffective against a giant.

These guys will carry the next phases. But I think they will milk ironman some more. Cap is deader than death though, along with nebula, vision, and maybe clint's family and widow.

Oooh, forgot about them. That could be cool.
Maybe something with Annihilus?
This is true. He could be more of a Looming Threat than the "event villain." Even a mention in Capt. Marvel or GotG would be a nice Easter Egg. Without him being an event villain (kinda love that term), I'm not sure how I'd use him though. And yes, eating the earth is a pretty fucking villainous move, especially to the people who live there.

I don't really think there's anywhere left to go with Tony Stark in terms of a story. We've seen him with PTSD. Twice. Iron Man 2 with the whole drinking and dying thing, and Iron Man 3 where he kept collapsing and hyperventilating. A film where Tony mopes and every single character tries to helps him would just be so, fucking, boring. The way you set it up is that it would be 1.5 hours of just boring "edginess of being drunk and washed up" and then 30 minutes of fighting a dragon.

Go big with Iron Man 4. Have it so that the world cracks the code to Iron Man suits and everyone is building them and using them. The police get Iron Man suits. The military. Make it a permanent feature in the MCU that the suits are now out there for everyone, and how Tony has to deal with that.

>Star-Lord is imprisoned at the end of GOTGv3 for destroying a moon or planet to save the universe from the Magus
>Nova a few years later
>a new villain (Annihilus or otherwise) wipes out the Nova Corps in his bid to subjugate the galaxy, leaving new recruit Richard Rider the last Spacecop standing
>he's forced to team up with a grumpy and cynical Quill as they race across the galaxy to stop the bad guy

I guarantee this is what happens. It won't literally be Annihilation, but there will be shades of it.

>Cap is deader than death though, along with nebula, vision,

Vision is confirmed for Avengers 4, and Infinity War will likely end with Thanos completing his Infinity Gauntlet.

They've been teasing that "no-one knows" what would happen to Vision if he lost the Mind Stone. Just dying would be the least interesting possibility.

>sources needed

God I hate that female hair that looks like it was sucked through a vacuum. Also, Drax is definitely gonna die.
If I were to guess, Gunn will have the Cancerverse for GOTG 3. Cancer seems to be an ongoing theme with GOTG, where Quill's mother dies from it, and Ego pretty much imitating the properties of cancer, the Soverign are a step away from the Church of Universal truth, so we could get Cancerverse where Quill's mother is the center of the problem instead of Mar-Vel.

I think Annhilation needs more fleshed out characters in the cosmic size to fit that title. Cosmic Marvel still feels very untapped.

I want Vision to turn into Ultron without the stone.

Like an Armor Wars plot?

Spider-Man is being groomed to be the leading act of the MCU after RDJ steps down as Tony Stark
Doctor Strange will go strong into a trilogy. He still has Mordo and Shuma Gorath to play with. Dormammu could return
Thunderbolts is a possibility with Zemo
Ghost Rider is still in play, they could always use Danny Ketch
Hemsworth said he'll keep playing Thor for as long as people want him. So that could go either way.
Guardians will probably only get one more movie
Bucky will become the new Captain America
Black Panther will get a sequel
Ant Man and Wasp could get another film. But if their villain choices are too limited, they may be regulated to supporting roles like Hulk.
Hawkeye and Widow probably won't be in the next phase.

Only real concern I could see is who could possibly take over for Thanos as next overarching villain? In a perfect world, and out of some unlikely hope, it would be Doctor Doom.

That'd be an interesting way to unfuck quiptron

If they do Secret Wars like 2015, I hope there's one film that's just the final incursion. I would love a sub plot going on throughout the film where this guy just keeps having the worst of luck. His wife divorces him, he's given a 2 week notice, and all these things fall apart on him. As the final incursion is happening, you discover the guy is a radio DJ, and having motivation to leave the building, just keeps playing different tunes. Which leads to him admitting the next pick would be pretty pretentious, as he puts on American Pie. What then follows is a sequence where each major MCU character is getting killed in the chaos set to that song, and as it ends, the roof collapses and crushes the DJ.

dont forget cancerverse, a good reason to bring thanos as a friendly.

Have it play out like this.
>>Stone taken out of Vision's head.
>>Everyone sobs.
>>Vision wakes up in Wanda's arms.
>>Some confusion, but they all are relieved to have him back.
>>At some point, Vision is alone by himself, and starts talking.
>>Voice slips into James Spader, as he hums to himself, planning his next move.

The way they keep bringing Ultron back in some way kind of leaves the impression that they don't want the audience to forget him, like how his head was in Homecoming.

I have no sources, just what's in the movies and my imagination.

Thanos isn't really an overarching villain anyway, his few appearances have been glorified cameos

IIRC he was originally just going to be the villain of Avengers 2 going after te cube again until they decided that gauntlet would make a better finale

They'd have to come up with a reason for why he's a power house, and I don't think they'll be bringing back infinity stones after IW.

Unless some negotiations are made. It can happen.

The superhero movie bubble doesn't have much longer before it bursts - these trends are never sustained long-term. The films will get progressively worse, perform worse at the box office, and in 5-10 years it'll all be history - just like we view the age of Westerns.

Spiderman Homecoming and Wonder Woman did well though

>They'd have to come up with a reason for why he's a power house
You say that like it's hard. Have you seen the bullshit they have out in space?

Anyway they wouldn't actually have to. Heresy though it would be for some, if they wanted a more low-tech route all he really needs is Worldmind in his helmet, a space suit from GOTG built into his armor, and an overcharged jetpack and wrist blasters.

Feige has floated vague ideas of having the MCU phases be more self-contained after Phase 3. As I recall, he mentioned as an example, having one phase based around Dark Reign, rather than having three phases build up to Infinity Gauntlet.

So the MCU going forward wouldn't be quite as stretched-out.

Right, but the benefit of Doom would be a apocalyptic threat, but something still close to home (Earth). I suppose they could do something similar to Ultimate Alliance where he steals The Odinforce. Then again, The Masters of Evil is another possibility

>Surely thus is the end of Marvel, says fan after twenty years and billions of dollars

>5-10 years

>2022-2027 (Marvel's still going strong)

Making him another Iron Man is just plain stupid.
Also, as for making an Annihilation movie, it doesn't seem likely. Ronan is dead, Galactus and Annihilus are off limits, Thanos probably won't come back after IW, and Bautista might not either after GotG3.

>Iron Man 4
>demon in a bottle
>a much smaller, more character driven movie, almost like Logan

Just stop.
It's Disney.
There's not even going to be an IM4

Still, building phases around one theme could be annoying. Imagine a Dark Reign phase where the Dark Avengers show up in every film to stir up shit like they did in the comics

Why do people act like Annihilation needs so many characters when the only story beat that happens is that Drax rushes and kills Thanos who frees Galactus. That's the ONLY thing that happens in that story outside, "the villain wrecks shit". The Super Skrull and Ronan stuff is entirely pointless.

This year all had good BO and no critical bashing. I expect some decline after Avengers 4 though.

>they'd be too scared to change anything about this franchise until the money starts to die down.
It already has started to die down.

Age of Ultron way underperformed.
GotG2 underperformed.
Homecoming underperformed

>NO THEY DIDN"T!!
You don't understand how this works.
You know how Spider-Man 3 was the highest-grossing Spidey film? It still underperformed based on budge, expectations, and investment, causing Sony to cancel Spidey 4 and pause the franchise for a half decade before rebooting. Same with X-Men 3.

Age of Ultron already caused Disney to get cold feet about all this. They've been managing how to end things in the most profitable way for 2 years now. There is no big continuation after IW2.

And now GotG2 failed to blow past expectations. Yet you guys think that GotG3 will be the START of a new cosmic franchise? Dudes. No. Gunn is done after GotG3. They've seen that it isn't going to be a huge new franchise.

They're already bracing for Black Panther and Captain Marvel to underperform. Unless those two are massive successes with cultural relevancy and profitability on the level of Wonder Woman, Disney has absolutely no reason to continue the MCU at its current level after IW2.

I'm sure there will be "something" in the pipeline, but it's not going to be this constant overexposure parade with four movies a year.

They'll reboot the whole thing in ten years.

No, just scrap that personality completely.

But they still make Westerns, user. They just aren't the biggest and most successful genre of movie anymore.

Eventually something new will come along and replace superhero movies as the big thing of it's era, but they won't go away completely as long as there's an audience for them, and like Westerns, they'll just change with the times to survive and find new audiences.

Less specific to superheroes, we're more likely to see a collapse in the efforts to copy Marvel and make "cinematic universes" happen, because no-one else seems to be succeeding at it.

>Making him another Iron Man is just plain stupid
You say that, but at this point Iron Man will be gone, while Rich's traditional powerset is effectively a Captain Marvel ripoff, who will still be around.

Rich doesn't use the Nova Force for anything but flying, shooting shit, traveling through space, and occasionally lifting heavy objects. It's as generic a powerset as they come. As long as he can do those things (and has Worldmind in his helmet) it makes little difference how exactly he does them.

>Also, as for making an Annihilation movie, it doesn't seem likely
Agreed, but only because of Annihilus. They had no problem doing Ultron without Pym, or Thanos without Warlock. Ronan and Galactus are inconsequential.

But I don't think they'll do an Annihilation movie, I think they'll just use similar story in a Nova solo movie to make him Cosmic from the get-go.

all three of those films did great

Just give them the same excuse they're giving Carol. Or keep them under wraps like Ant-Man. I really don't dig the 60s people in modern times concept.

>Avengers was 5 years ago
WHAT THE FUCK

>Most of it would be a story of overcoming addiction, which is really damn hard and emotional.
You know what? I would really like a serious, character driven, emotional Iron Man film. Focusing more on his personal demons instead of gratuitous violence to retire the character.

I know the MCU/Disney won't do it, but both RDJ and Iron Man deserve a proper send-off. Maybe in 5 years if the bubble bursts and they're forced to come with something new...

I don't see that happening. Super hero movies are pretty much the easiest high budget special effects heavy action movie, due to relying on known brands.

Outside of Star Wars, recent Sci-fi action movies haven't done well and aren't trending up.

Anime adaptations also are going nowhere.

Although new original action IPs likely will appear, I doubt we'll see a bunch of them blowing up at once and replacing super hero movies.

I like this line up a lot more than I do current Avengers. Falcon should be there instead of Strange.
Stephen should be the main character of his very own corner of the MCU, like the Guardians, and act mostly in an advisory role to the Avengers only interfering when shit is going really south.

>Maybe something with Annihilus?
Annihilation Wave lead by Ultron which would redeem the character. Also, no omelettes.

Basically a mash up of Conquest and Annihilation.

>Age of Ultron way underperformed.

This is because retarded execs didn't understand that the first Avengers movie was a once in a lifetime moment, those characters coming together in one movie that had been built to over the previous years. The sequel was a success, but it wasn't as big a success because you just can't recapture that.

Justice League probably won't make as much money as Batman vs Superman for the same reasons. You can't ever recapture the moment of having those characters meet for the first time.

>Justice League probably won't make as much money as Batman vs Superman for the same reasons.
More like it won't make as much because it'll fucking suck.

And people think Tumblr didn't invade this board.

>More like it won't make as much because it'll fucking suck.

True, but I didn't want to be cruel, user.

Normies probably won't be as aware of it's, shall we say, "troubled" development, they'll just know they saw Batman vs Superman, more of them didn't like it than liked it, and outside of Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman, they don't know any of the other heroes and haven't been given any reason to care about them.

>It still underperformed based on budge, expectations, and investment, causing Sony to cancel Spidey 4 and pause the franchise for a half decade before rebooting. Same with X-Men 3.

That's objectively wrong. SPIDER-MAN 3 was the most successful of the Sam Raimi movies, so much that they had a release date set for SPIDER-MAN 4 in 2011. Raimi was the one that wasn't very inclined to keep going. They were already planning a reboot because Maguire was getting too old to play a young adult character. When Raimi walked away, they just moved forward with it.

Pretty much the same applies to the X-MEN movies. Fox didn't think the genre would last long, so X3 was a decisive "finalc chapter", clearing the way for them to invest in spin-off prequels, because they thought that was were the money was. So much that WOLVERINE came out just three years later.

Its the Neogaf exodus. Just be firm, and call him a faggot

>someone bothered to type all this
And no, guardians 3 is just the end of the curent lineup. Gunn's already working with Feige on more cosmic side scripts. Dance off, Surfer.
I liked Cucumber in Dr strange but feels like the can do way more with him and all the magic bulshit.

>Age of Ultron way underperformed.
>GotG2 underperformed.
>Homecoming underperformed

Age of Ultron was 100 mil under Avengers
Both GOTG2 and Homecoming are in the top 10 grossing films of this year

You're really reaching.

According to the stories at the time, Sony had offered Raimi, Maguire and Dunst a lot of money to do a 4th Spider-Man movie, but they rejected Raimi's plot, which had the Vulture as the villain, they demanded it be made within a relatively short time, for the release-date they wanted, and demanded that it be in 3D. This resulted in Raimi walking away, and the project collapsed.

Amazing Spider-Man was originally being promoted as being an "untold story", part of the same continuity as the first 3 movies, but ended up becoming a full reboot.

>Outside of Star Wars,
That Han Solo film better be fucking amazing, or else this new Star Wars momentum is going to hit a really big bump.

>but feels like the can do way more with him and all the magic bulshit.
I fucking despise the lasso-fu. Hopefully he will be doing actual spells in Infinity War.

Bet he unironically thought these movies were supposed to do 1b+ to reach even because Sup Forums kept telling him that.

>They had their chance to do demon in a bottle TWICE (Iron Man 2 and 3) and they've always been too pussy to go through with it

WRONG! Marvel wants to do but RDJ doesn't want to because of the subject material. He had drug and alcohol issues and has stated that he doesn't feel comfortable going back into that even for a movie.

Doctor Strange's timeline (ironically) is really weird. We're supposed to acknowledge by Thor Ragnarok that he's earned the title of Sorcerer Supreme. He was still an intermediate sorcerer during his solo movie, so chances are he'll be pulling off some crazy shit by Infinity War (hopefully).

>We're supposed to acknowledge by Thor Ragnarok that he's earned the title of Sorcerer Supreme
Did you just spoiler Dr. Strange's role in Ragnarok, nigga?

It's had a troubled development, user, the outlook isn't promising. If they keep making Star Wars movies after all of the original cast are gone, you will live to see Disney destroy the mainstream appeal of Star Wars in a way the prequels never did.

They should just do a documentary of RDJ's life with some Iron Man here and there and title it Iron Man 4.

Wasn't that what they were inferring in the after credits scene in his solo movie? Why wouldn't he be Sorcerer Supreme by now?

And kids who were 8-10 when Iron Man came out are going to be 18-20 next year. There are kids who have solely grown up not knowing of a time before cinematic universes

>MCU
>upset the status quo

>The superhero movie bubble doesn't have much longer before it bursts
I've heard this for the last 5 years and I expect to hear this for the next 5-10

Because based Krugarr exists.

>upset the status quo

>cap, wanda, falcon and widow being criminals
>hulk and thor lost
>MCU status quo

I lost my shit when that dude showed up, always wished he got more focus in the 90s GOTG instead of Talon

Just do Superior Iron Man.

So Hot Toys can make a proper figure

This.

WB is right. Elseworlds are the future.
Then you can pull a Time Runs Out

Its better than the faggots who grew with the first X-men movies and idolize Morrison run during those years.

My big regret with Evans getting older is that we'll never get a retro MCU series featuring Namor and Torch movies, or Invaders and Liberty Legion team up films. That sort of interbellum-to-WWII setting would have been great fun to explore.

what are the Heralds?

Think it's better off without X-Men, never understood how mutants are discriminated in the same world filled with beloved heroes like Spider-Man and The Fantastic 4.
IMO Mutants makes sense to be set in their own universe,

>Spider-Man
how to spot a casual: the post

Those two would be the best option for Iron Man 4. Im guessing the biggest issue is how much money RDJ wants for a fourth movie, especially after getting so much from the previous ones.

Explain.

How about you read a damn comic instead of talking out of your ass?

Scarlet Witch still has to kill Chthon. She'll get her powers boosted in Infinity War 2 and then Chthon will come out and reveal his involvement in her and her brother getting powers (The Other embued the Mind Stone with at least some of the powers Chthon has (super speed and causing people to see visions being two of them).

He's a faggot. Only explanation needed.