Artist's that you no longer like

I used to really like Jim Lee's art when I was younger... but now I just find his artwork boring now.
How about you guys?

When I learned how Daedato's art was made, i dropped him so hard

He traces alot right? not too familiar myself, how does it compare to Greg Land's work?

he uses celebrities on magazine covers as reference

A lot of Lee's art seems really phoned in these days.

Originally he had all the good parts of Liefeld (dynamic poses, detailed art) without the bad anatomy. But by the time of Hush/ASBAR he had gotten quite good.

His 90's art was pretty fucking terrible, too.

>how does it compare to Greg Land's work?
His Hulk, Thunderbolts & Dark Avengers work was MUCH better then Land.
His modern work is worse, not even so much about the tracing as how digital it looks.

>His 90's art was pretty fucking terrible, too.
Indeed, his good days was 2004-ish to 2010-ish.

I probably still like him a little bit, but David Finch has really gone down hill in regards to female characters.
He seemed to realize this fact and took efforts to counter it with poser in JLA which did result in a decent looking appropriately aged Catwoman but caused problems with his work looking more static then usual (which is saying something), at the start of his Wonder Woman run, he looked like he returned to his kid Diana problem as he dropped the poser but he slowly matured her look as the series went on.

>A lot of Lee's art seems really phoned in these days.

I don't know if he's phoning it in, but I think part of the problem is that as talented as he is, he's never really exhibited a lot of range in his rendering, posing, and storytelling so if you see enough of his work, it all starts looking repetitive (or uninspired at the worst). Granted, a lot of comics artists have this issue, although it's especially exacerbated when an artist is primarily identified with a singular genre/subject matter (in Lee's case, superheroes).

Same, I still like Pre-2011 Jim Lee though, I think his art took a huge dip in quality.

The thing is that when you see stuff like the watercolor pages on Hush or some of the more experimental pinups he has made, you can see he has enough talent to diversify but it's like he doesn't give a shit.
I then found out he has like 9 kids or something so at least now I understand why.

Those watercolor pages aren't special, it's just Lee+watercolor. is right.

Many artists won't change up style/etc because they don't need to. It has nothing to do with laziness/not caring. What works made you popular, why rock that boat senpai?

I think it's fair to assume that Lee was overwhelmed by running his own company. He didn't leave WildCATS the first time because he got lazy, it was because he had his first kid and trying to help take care of a newborn and do monthly art duties sounds like a fucking nightmare. And during that time Wildstorm put out more and more titles and now Lee as head of the imprint had to manage all these other artists.

Lee, Silvestri, and McFarlane all transitioned to running a comic company rather than making comics. Liefeld did a fucking awful job at running Extreme and Larsen pretty much stayed focused on pumping out Savage Dragon.

>art seems really phoned in these days
That would be John Romita, Jr. He went from drawing just like his dad to low-effort, ugly sameface shit.

There was a documentary about Daredevil that had an interview with him that was very enlightening. He said he had developed what he called "deadline style" so he could make as many pages a month as he could to get the maximum amount of money.

Which is odd because he seems to be a pretty slow artist and is rarely on more than one book at a time.

Turns out JRJR broke his wrist at some point, my guess is during the 2000's. That explains a lot about how the guy who did Daredevil with Ann Nocenti was the same artist on Avengers vs X-Men

I could never stop loving Jim Lee’s art. It defined my taste in art in many ways, and he continues to improve

People talk way too much shit on JrJr, too. Imo it’s digital coloring that doesn’t do his art any favors. Besides that, he clearly just doesn’t care for Superman seeing as how anything he’s ever done for him is apathetic as hell.

The Punisher: Warzone is one of my favorite series of all time, and The Dark Knight: the Last Crusade’s art was amazing

He also has two ex-wive and has to pay alimony.

More like it’s the Suicide Squad who are boring, at least in this case

Jim Lee doesn’t suit Superman that well either imo, although this is clearly good

Kind of just a boring subject considering how many times we’ve seen this sort of shot. I love Jim Lee’s Batman, personally.

Jim Lee's faces are so bland, and thats what kept me from having any real interest in him. everything seems like it was made on a template. Generally my favorite comic artists are the ones who are able to do great expressions.

Ouch. Not really Sup Forums, but I feel Ryoichi ikegami's art has become too streamlined. He has a great grasp of anatomy, but he's too pragmatic. He hasn't experimented since the late 70s, he just refined his figures to utmost perfection, that everything else is boring.

>Imo it’s digital coloring that doesn’t do his art any favors.

Unless he's working with Dean White. That guy really brings his art to life. Putting him with a generic colorist is the worst thing possible.

Don't have to convert me, I love him. Especially 90's JRJR

I used to be super into Alex Ross. Now I just find his work stiff and his colors not that pleasing.

I think that's more because he phones it in for Marvel covers.

Humberto Ramos and Michael Turner for me.

I'm not saying they're special, I'm saying they show that Lee can expand onto somewhat different territory, like watercolor stuff and probably even more if he put his mind into it.

>why rock that boat senpai?
Because that's what real artists that actually care about the art form tend to do. Either to evolve, or to perfect a certain style. Lee does neither, 'cause even his typical style stuff looks half assed.

Jesus, how anyone could ever like Ramos is beyond me.

>McFarlane (...) transitioned to running a comic company rather than making comics.
Sadly, he never fucked off from Spawn and so it never raised above mediocrity.

What got you to like Ramos? I'm genuinely curious.

Still like Turner but I acknowledge his female waist were too thin most of the time.
Not him but in general he is not good, but he does do a good Hobgoblin.

Fuck off DCschill. I'm sick you fucking people.

>no mention of Tim Sale yet

But he was never good.

>digital coloring that doesn’t do his art any favors

But look at . The traditional coloring helps, yes, but it's all sameface shit. Not only do they all have the same expression, but they're all literally the same face from different angles.

Lee streams on twitch if you want to see sketch-work
Search "twitch jim lee" because of the spam filter

Why would anybody not like him anymore?

Are you telling me he's not? Look at him now compared to Marvels.

The quality is exactly the same. I don't know how people can look at those Spiderman and Avengers covers and say "yeah this looks phoned in"

Yeah he's mostly pretty boring now. I realized through following Alex Sinclair on social media just how lame and dated of a colorist he is, which maybe hinders Lee a bit too.

>What got you to like Ramos?
Impulse from the 90's also X-Men: Supernovas

Impulse as well, I felt a nice dynamism in his style but it just went too far