Why do we force our kids to memorize this fucked-up measuring system?

(((convenience)))

Because fuck metric, murica.

>yfw americans are circumcized, use the imperial system and don't need ID to vote

Because everything we do (that isn't science) in America is in imperial and changing it costs money, headaches, and time.

>pint
fucking useless measurement

because fuck you

yes but metric weight units suck

they're the only ones I still can't grasp

Jews.

Literally all metric units are based on decimals, dude.

It doesn't get easier than that. It's the kind of thing you'd get used to in a week.

yeah it's so retarded

we could have sensible years, decayears, kiloyears, centiyears and so on like the sensible europeans

but instead you know what ameris do?
There are 12 months to a year

if you think it could get worse, a month has 31, 30, or even 28 (actually 29 every 4 years!) days

and do you think a day is divided sensibly by 10? NO! It's divided into TWENTY-FOUR hours, with SIXTY minutes in an hour, and SIXTY seconds in a minute. BAKA america! You might wonder if they have some crazy subdivision of a second, but americans are too uneducated to divide it further

Wow americans sure are stupid!

It's intuitive and useful, even though it's not mathematically elegant. A foot is about the length of your forearm, an inch is about as long as your dick, a pound is about what a typical paperback book or a can of beans weighs. Tablespoons, cups, pints, quarts and gallons are all very useful volumes for cooking. It's a messy system, but one that's scaled well for things humans actually measure on a daily basis.

>changing it costs money
that is a really good reason

I actually like imperial units, had to use them for some works in college

>yfw leaf

By forcing children to memorize things and constantly do mental math, we make them better prepared for real world problems.

Metric is for babies.

That's retarded. 1 kilogram is pretty much the weight of 1 liter of water.

I agree with you user.
America should have gone metric decades ago

yeah it's broken up into pretty arbitrary measurements, but the measurements are common enough and cover wide enough ranges that you can do many actual measurements in everyday life a lot easier
really when you think about it it doesn't make much sense that a person measuring distance has to use either a scale that uses multiple units to measure a finger's length or a scale that uses less than a single unit to measure your whole arm's length
it's also nice to do intermediate measurements between units when everything doesn't follow a logarithmic scale ie a lot easier to say two feet to men 2/3 of a yard rather than 667 millimieters to mean 2/3 of a meter

It's exactly the same weight

Gram = solids
Litre = liquids

depends on the temperature desu

the volume of water varies with temperature

abo

An American can't grasp something related to numbers?

Shocking.

>Americans learn both systems in school
>Euroshits only know metric
>somehow America is in the wrong

that's not even the best argument

metric is good for scientific applications, since it has standardized measurements that make sense with a lot of things in the scientific world (e.g. degrees Celsuis being tied to the melting/boiling point of water at STP, Kelvin starts at absolute zero, and so on)

HOWEVER, the metric system is clumsy for real life measurements. Centimeters and even Decimeters are too small to be useful at a human scale, while meters are usually too large. Celsuis is pretty clumsy for the range of temperature most people experience in their day-to-day lives.

Gallons, quarts, pints, and so on are common measurements for common household tasks, while liters really aren't.

& so on...

The american system is better for day-to-day life since it's designed around it. It takes like an hour to figure out the conversions if you aren't a total retard, and even then how often do you really have convert between them?

saged

how do you think they manage to vote against their own economic interests election after election?

To develope mental elasticity.

Tablespoon/Cup make sense, the rest are just silly.
If you're going to have an abstract system at least make it uniform.

And the US has been soft metric since the 80s, anywhere that metric measurements are useful they get used

The only reason the rest of the wold switched to metric is because their tiny brains are too undeveloped to remember there are 5820 feet in a mile.

actually a lot of the tech industry uses the US system

although it HONESTLY doesn't even matter because it's all arbitrary anywas and won't trip you up unless you're retarded

(except the whole pound being both a unit of force, mass, and weight at once which fucks everything up (seriously solve this problem retards))

I don't think I've EVER had to know how many feet are in a mile

it's literally a non-issue

but that doesn't stop pretentious cuck commie euros from masturbating about how more "superior" or "sensical" their system is

Honestly I prefer imperial units. Most industries use feet and inches for measurements anyway, at least here in eastern Canada. I was always used to them and fractions from working on older cars, but I find it funny that some people actually get mad when they get on a job and have to use imperial instead of metric.

You fuckers are ignoring metric has been taught in schools for decades

oh yeah fun fact:

the kilogram isn't based around any kind of scientific measurement, it's LITERALLY based on the weight of this random rock

at least they could've based it around the mass of an electron (constant and very important to science) and used that as an approximation

but no

and they think they're so much better than americans baka

NO americans are STUPID because they have different weights and standards than us ENLIGHTENED EUROPEANS and I MUST LET THE WORLD KNOW

Sell more drugs nigga.

metric is gay

Don't have to memorize shit for the lengths, at least as an approximation.
Yard = fingertips to opposite shoulder with arm outstretched
Inch = length of a segment of your finger (tip to first knuckle, etc.)
foot = wrist to elbow

Good luck doing that with metric, where you have to divide your inch-estimate into 2.54 segments and figure that out somehow. Checkmate, eurocucks.

I disagree that Celsius is clumsy. Each degree actually feels different, so there is a meaningful difference between 10C and 11C. The difference between 50F and 51F, though, is imperceptible - they're basically the same temperature, in human terms.

Celsius would be perfect if 0 was the freezing point of brine rather than the freezing point of water.

>sunk coast fallacy
You guys do realize that signs get replaced right?

that's SEXIST since it only works for men

women hold up half the sky bigot

the metric system is feminist

True Americans call it the "customary system"

kys fucking libtards

>memorize

Every kid has Google in their pocket.

>Don't have to memorize shit for the lengths, at least as an approximation.
Only niggers can't do basic math

the kilogram was originally meant to be the weight of a cubic decimeter of water

and the meter was based on the size of the planet

then they realized they measured the planet wrong and since they were not changing the meter they just changed the definition

it is now based on the speed of light in vacuum and a time constant

Because the imperial inch based on the cubit used in the Egyptian Pyramids.

celcius for every day things is significantly better than farenheit. for farenheit where 0 is "too cold" and 100 is "too hot", Celsius 2 is "too cold" and 36 is "too hot". the range of temperatures is much smaller so even a 2 degree change can be significant

nasa uses the metric system

>2 degree change can be significant
that's too much

you want to be able to eyeball it

not figure out PRECISELY where it is

especially given how inaccurate weather forecasting usually is

uses both actually

and only well after we went to the moon

>countries that have been to the moon

The Imperial system is great! I love that it can't divide them by even or odd numbers without a giant cluster fuck.

WTF IS A LITER TOOTHPASTENIGGER

>implying the moon landing was real

You fuckers are so dumb

I see a distinct lack of France and China on that map

add france to "countries that lose against Vietnam farmers" you idiot

...and remove the US

Why isn't France red?

That shit was their fault

North Vietnam
Provisional Revolutionary Government of the Republic of South Vietnam Viet Cong
Cambodia Khmer Rouge
Laos Pathet Lao
China People's Republic of China
North Korea
Supported by:
Soviet Union
Cuba[4][5]
Czechoslovakia Czechoslovakia[6][7]
Bulgaria Bulgaria[8]
East Germany[9]
Romania Romania[10]
Poland[11][12]
Hungary Hungary[12]
==SWEDEN==

holy fuck

Shouldn't France be purple? They lost a war to Vietnamese farmers and use Celsius.

>tfw we are the last remaining vestiges of the British Empire

Feels good, man

>Measuring system based on human measurements, ratios and traditional use of things being measured. Is easy to understand, intuitive, and directly relevant to daily life. Can easily be used to bake a cake, measure a field, or do any number of operations using only the human body as a measuring instrument.

> Measuring system based on the circumference of the earth scaled up and down to infinity and the weight of a small cube of water in relation to that. No meaningful relation to human scale and experience. Literally useless for any purpose if you do not possess finely tooled instruments of measurement.

Metric is a meme.

I think a better question might be-
>why can't other countries do anything but count by powers of ten?

We use both systems. THEY use one, and that one sucks for certain applications.
Such as body heat. Fahrenheit works a lot better for taking body temp.
Any medical doctor will tell you that.

Are fractions too hard for you?

>not knowing what the sunk cost fallacy is
Wrong application, leaf

This. Imperial system is so much more applicable in on-the-go situations.

>2 hard 4 the eurotard
How fucking difficult is it to remember this?

Because we wouldn't be #1 right now if we used what everyone else uses.

>snow mongol doesnt even know history.

Truly pathetic...

One cubic decimeter

Also works nicely for outside temperature, I like there to be more than 20 degrees between my balls sticking to my leg and needing a coat.

room temperature water you fucking nigger

Average person doesn't need to convert units on an average day. Know what the main unit of length of an American uses each day? The block. How many feet is that? Who gives a shit. How many gallons of water is a block^3? Has never mattered. How has our civilization survived with different cities using different definitions of block length? The world may never know.

>foot is length of forearm

Manlet detected

> room temperature

Lies. Pint makes sense. It's an eighth of a gallon. Reducing lengths by powers of two makes it easier to measure out smaller quantities without any special measuring tools.

It's also the perfect serving size for beer. Checkmate metricists.

At stp dumass.

They have to teach something at school aside from cultural marxism.

This too.
F is much more useful in human-range temps, and in fact is based upon that.
0F is BITTER cold, 100F is sweltering hot.

Of course metric has its own great uses. Having a single measurement system is foolish though.
Have one for practicality, and the other for detailed science work based on physics.
Hell, I wanna see Celsius GTFO. Kelvin is what should have become the standard for metric. Since it's directly based on energy levels.

i was never good with numbers. this just makes it more confusing

>tfw imperial system made this possible not metric
Kikes BTFO

joke's on you I don't remember any of it
literally the only american measurements I don't have to look up are
>12 inches is 1 foot
>a meter is pretty close to a yard which is pretty close to 3 feet
>a ton is either 1000 or 2000 pounds I don't really now

>implying floating point didn't get us there

Km is the largest metric distance measurement the average euro sees often
mm is the smallest

1000000 mm in 1 Km
1000000's prime factorization is 2^6 * 5^6

mi is he largest imperial distance measurement the average 'murrican sees often
1/16th in is the smallest

16 * 12 * 3 * 1760 = 1013760
thus there are 1013760 1/16th inches in a mile
1013760's prime factorization is 2^11 * 3^2 * 5 * 11

therefore the imperial system allows for more types of fractions, something that makes it very useful for things like building design and whatnot. there isn't exactly 1/3 of 10 m whereas there is 1/3 of 10 yd

Fahrenheit follows temperatures a person encounters in the average day better, each degree is less extreme of a difference than Celsius.

weight measurements have a similar defense as length measurements

volume measurements in imperial are designed to be memorable, intuitive, and simplistic, you can ore easily guess 1 cup easier than half a liter, even if you had never seen either quantity

all of that said, metric is best for science (sans Celsius, fuck that shit, use kelvin instead) as it is less error prone when used in math,

You are an idiot.

france lost too.

>average year is 365.251 days

Over here, imperial is still heavily the favourite for everyday life.

Feels good, doesn't it?

Because we're not filthy godless Communists.

can someone translate this common core fractioneering into english(US)

and australia, everyone forgets that they had troops in vietnam

Here we use ounces, liters, gallons, inches and feet for short distances, and meters and kilometers for long distances, and celsius for temperature.

All mixed the fuck up, full nigger style.

Fuck you I have to jump through hoops to properly internationalize all the apps I write for your indecisive asses. Pick one and use it for everything.

>force our kids to memorize
stopped reading

And I don't even bother to localize for your dumb asses.

They are the comfiest measurements

Because it's better than living like a yuropoor

reminder that celsius is nothing but an inaccurate version of Kelvin used by homosexuals who neither appreciate an accurate measurement system nor a system suited for measuring temperatures that humans live in (also the F stands for freedoms)