Calvin and Hobbes storytime

I have 3 Calvin and Hobbes 'arcs' I'm gonna share, as well as probably some miscellaneous ones I like. I would say these are my favourite arcs but I like every one so I just choose three. Two of them happened to be title stories for their collections so they have these neat title pages.

Hopefully you have also read the Peanuts the other user was story-timing, because besides being a great comic it is sort of the progenitor to C&H, and Watterson has said it is his biggest inspiration

I think the ones with Susie are always great. How antagonistic Calvin is varies somewhat though

I also love the Sunday strips where Watterson gave calvin's imagination incredible detail, so this is one of my favourites

bump

Thanks

I also like Calvin's dad. I sometimes remind myself that suffering builds character when I'm having a rough time with something.

well that's those. I'll post some other stuff

Me and my friends actually attempted to play Calvinball a few times as kids

bump, thanks for sharing op

Excellent timing o/p.. with great pleasure I read this thread during my break at work. After a particularly stressful day this was much needed. Hit the spot!

calvin is a legit genius, no lie

I like Calvin's imagined ending of Frosty the Snowman.

Great thread OP! I'm surprised calvin and hobbes isn't discussed more on Sup Forums

Huh. If I saw that snowman in somebody's yard I'd assume it was two snowmen humping.

Thanks for the memories OP

Susie is cute! CUTE!

bump for posterity

Thanks OP! I remember reading yukon ho in the Authoritative Calvin and Hobbes. Think I lost it, can't find it anywhere ;_;

I feel like this couldn't be published now

Me too

Here's my favorite

God, wether I'm 5, 15, or 25 this still gets a laugh out of me. How is this comic so funny.

Man...it really doesn't

>I like maxims that don't encourage behavior modification.
With punchlines like that I can't believe Bill got kids to read this. I bet it helps build vocabulary.

its sad that we'll probably live to see the death of the newspaper comic.
>ywn grow up in the 90s reading calvin and hobbes after a day out playing in the snow

That one and when they play doctor. Truly great.

>I tried dad
>I tried

Well, I will because I already did. But at least we have webcomics as a consolation prize

The strip operates on several different levels. I can tell from reading and re-reading the strips at different ages, my feeling of what's "funny" in the strip has changed significantly as I became more attuned to the higher concepts in some of the strips.
And yes the strip builds your vocabulary, other kids my age thought my verbosity was strange.

He somehow got away with this one.

snow goons is secretly about the fears of a breakout AI event

Well you'd be hardpressed to be upset about the deranged imagination of a 6 year old child who has a habit of going off the rails repeatedly. It's pretty clearly a joke.

Yeah, it's not pic related, that's for sure.

Ya got me there, though Far Side kept true to its name and had some really left field style "jokes". Like the chicken cult or the one of the family and their literal half child cause of a statistic. Or cow tools...

it is every month or so but the threads usually derail into fights over people disagreeing on whether Watterson is a saint or the devil for not licensing Calvin and allowing cartoons and other stuff

yeah it seems crazy now but Calvin and Hobbes and Far Side were the only reason some people had newspaper subscriptions. I was a paper boy growing up and more than a few I delivered to had told me at one point or another the only reason they had the sub was so they could read the comics every day

I always enjoy it when Calvin's parents accidentally treat Hobbes as more than he is - kinda cute how Calvin's fantasies really do rub off on them

Thanks OP. I was having kinda a shit week and this was exactly what I needed to cheer myself up. I'm going to have to dust off my old Calvin and Hobbes books.
Calvin's mom a cute.

Pretty sure he did get a lot of complaints on that one. It's not that strips like these can't be made now days, at least in the sense that your editors at the syndicate will stop you, but pushing the envelope carries the risk that some papers will drop you. Cartoonists usually bear the financial brunt of their controversies.

FUCK

>that's why your dumb foot hurts!
kek
>i'd be susie's patient!
what the fuck

jesus