SHTF / Gear Rate Thread

What's your BoB look like? What's in it?

I've been looking at these 5.11 Rushâ„¢ Bags and they look legit but not for $100+. The bag I got now is just some basic gander mtn external frame pack that cost me about 50 bucks, but I'm looking for something a little more durable and low profile.

I'm nearly finished with my medical kit, all I'm waiting for now is my "fish" antibiotics as well as a couple other necessities such as QuikClot and suture supplies.

I've got a Henry AR7 for small game hunting, Glock 19 Gen4 for personal defense/CQB, and a Kahr P380 to blow my brains out when I give up after day 3 of SHTF.

My shelter set up consists of a bivy bag, a low profile one man tent, camo tarp, and a footprint.

I have alot of other gear, but I'm not going to list it all because you probably havent even read this far yet so why bother.

How dead am I?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oRYBROlWfTc
amazon.com/Kelty-22615216BK-Redwing-50-Backpack/dp/B015GXTQLY/ref=pd_sim_468_9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RMH7PW21ZSXBBE6TRJRR
amazon.com/dp/B009R6B2ZA/ref=twister_B00AAU281Y
keepshooting.com/nato-trangia-stove-set.html
shtfschool.com/blog/
youtube.com/watch?v=QQItSfVAyhs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Kelty redwing 50, if you are over 6 feet tall.

5.11 backpacks are good if you are shorter.

I recommend Kelty.

youtube.com/watch?v=oRYBROlWfTc

Ive been a lifelong trump supporter ever since he went down those escalators, but he's looking desperate and doing whatever he can to gain attention. Very narcissistic. He lost meto be honest.. trump looks like he staged this
Ive been a lifelong trump supporter ever since he went down those escalators, but he's looking desperate and doing whatever he can to gain attention. Very narcissistic. He lost meto be honest.. trump looks like he staged this
Ive been a lifelong trump supporter ever since he went down thosje escalators, but he's looking desperate and doing whatever he can to gain attention. Very narcissistic. He lost me

Thats good to know since I'm 6'4"

How's youre experience with them?

Please stop Vladimir.
Can anyone recommend me a good happening jacket? Preferably something for extreme cold, alaska bro here

GORE-TEX.

something goretex

I got some old gear from 'Nam I'll use when the happening happens. It's pretty cheap and works well. I want to get a plate carrier with armor so I can really larp though.

I was using a shorter bookbag to carry school books at my university and it caused some Sciatica. I was carrying maybe 40 pounds in books for a semester.

Switched to Kelty, and rehabbed my Sciatica with exercise and weights, some yoga. Finished school and had the bag as a bug out for about a year now.

I coated it with some gun anti-rust shit, that was a silicone spray and this helped water proof it. I also picked up a Water proof cover.

I still love the bag, been hiking with it with about 50-60 pounds worth.

Any thoughts on gas masks/respirators?

Not really for protection against fallout/biological agents but for protection against tear gas or some other agent used for mass population control

This

posting some info from /k/

If It's just for teargas pretty much any of them will do desu.

stay out of population centers tbqh

Btw there is two version of the Redwing 50.

The new version:
amazon.com/Kelty-22615216BK-Redwing-50-Backpack/dp/B015GXTQLY/ref=pd_sim_468_9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RMH7PW21ZSXBBE6TRJRR

The old version:
amazon.com/dp/B009R6B2ZA/ref=twister_B00AAU281Y

Use your judgement, I went with the old one and it is badass.

don't some of the BOBs have like built in holsters and other gun shit? also dont forget about MOLLE

One note to add... don't buy any aluminum mess gear, that shit will warp or even melt under even the slightest amount of heat.

I got a surplus molle assault pack (20L) and a bunch of pouches. $42 for the pack from the surplus, but I've seen them on ebay for $35-36.

Where can I buy small zip-up pouches to attach to MOLLE bags for say a first aid kit or some other accessories that I'd like to keep separately?

No it won't you retard.

keepshooting.com/nato-trangia-stove-set.html

This will last you decades as long as you don't step on it or something stupid.

mucho gracias

Dammit guys, wish it wasn't dark and late here. I'd take some pics for you.

I recommend a smaller bag, like a day hike military style bag with a hydration bladder.

Get a good one you can fit: 2-4 pouch food options, tea, soup, and a couple cans of something. Along with all the accoutrements. Then' keep a change of technical style synthetic clothing in there, 2 pairs socks (same synthetic material). Med kit is the most important.

aluminum melts at 1,200 F and your average campfire can easily get up to 1500-2000 F

my point is you have to keep a close eye on it or your shit is fucked. At the very least get something with a thick gauge

You're total bag should be enough for 2 weeks on your own, complete with safety shelter and water purification (not just tablets! you need a pump!) change of clothes and meds. It should be just about 15 lbs. Not much more, but less is always good. Save space and weight everywhere you can. Break the handles off your toothbrush you know?

Here's mine. It's always under development. Annotated for easy identification. It also works as a starter list for noobs.

Also a good multi-tool or two is always recommended.

Gloves with extra reinforcement and a baklava are a must. These days, toss on a NATO approved gas mask pouch w/accessories.

I like having a dropbag for collecting nice things along the hike :)

Can you recommend any good water filtration pumps? I've got a good deal of tablets, but I just don't trust them 100% y'know? It seems too convenient to rely on

Inb4 someone says 'noguns'

Total weight in freedom units?

looking for a pack that is 32"+ to conceal a long item. no tacticool, something subtle.

any suggestions?

25lbs. With camelbak full.

length and weight for the bottom right?

Not bad will use as a reference to my supplies. I already see some things here that I dont have which look super handy.

Good thing you don't stick your cooking equipment in the middle of a roaring campfire for 3 hours then.

also, optics info?

meant for

>2 weeks on your own
>15 lbs

lmao

It's a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x. It's pricey for a midrange optic, but I absolutely love it. I've never looked through a $600+ optic before though, so I could be misguided. I really do like it quite a bit.

What, you never been backpacking on your own? Without needing to "run" or be "chased"? It doesn't make much to survive on your own. Three days isn't a big deal with an ass-fanny-pack if you know what you're doing in a good spot for it.

burris 1.5-6x ~$400 here, still havent gotten a chance to sight it in though... should probably do that sooner than later

I'm not going to bug out, I'm going to get ripped to shreds sending my last rounds at "prawns."

How well does that handheld chain saw work? Good? Have you used it?

anyone seen this site before? its an interesting read

shtfschool.com/blog/

5.11 crap sucks. It won't hold up to actual abuse. Every pair of pants ive had from them rips in a matter of months, I'm sure the packs are built to the same standards. The most you should ever get from them is a belt, then again mine is starting to fray.

>burris 1.5-6x
I saw one with the quick-throw magnification dial... I really, really considered that one, and I may get it for my next AR. Good scope. Does it have a lit reticle?

I feel like the lit reticle is a bit of a gimmick, but it could come in handy at some point. Not sure if it's worth the extra $$ though.

is that a leatherman rebar? I've got a wingman and I'm looking to get another leatherman because why not

thanks for the link

Burris 200439

bbl, maybe the thread will still be alive

Does anyone plan to cut their hair to maintain some sort of style for morale? Or do most of you plan to go with either straight bald or the homeless look?

I haven't used it yet. I feel kind of dumb for having untested stuff in my bag, but I always forget about it when I'm camping. I watched a youtube video with one, and the guy got through a limb in like 40 seconds... That's why I bought it.

youtube.com/watch?v=QQItSfVAyhs

The thing I like about it is that you can tie paracord to the ends and cut limbs as high as you can throw it.

No, I skimped when I was building the bag and went with a cheap one. I'm actually planning to replace it with a real leatherman this winter.

when shit hit the fan i just go and ambush other people for their gear and loot the pharmacy i already have it planned out

I'd recommend the wingman if you're looking for an all-around multi-tool, all of the essentials none of the toothpick holder bullshit. Don't get me wrong though, the more expensive ones are super nice as well.

Noguns

I work at a pharmacy and the pharmacist emptied out some bottles of cough syrup with codeine, pain medicine, high value stuff and filled them back up with water/tylenol/etc. He keeps most of the real shit in a safe.

>like a flashlight in a data mine

>2016
>still believing the shtf meme

Are you proud of yourself? Admitting you'd chimp out like that?

Glad you guys are catching up on the fish/bird biotic.

You need a water filter too user. I have a hand crank one that screws into any 2 liter or 20 oz.

What state do you live in, nigger?

fucking nutnfacy vids are always so fucking long.

Dude you're missing the point. I'm assuming you live in a big shit city and you're gonna be stuck. So you're gonna walk innawoods and be fine?

You think you have les stroud skillz? When even he starts freaking out a week in?

Stop reading fucking /k/ get a real plan. Stop buying stupid shit.

I live in a small town tbqh

and go fuck yourself I've been an avid outdoorsman since I got my eaglescout badge at 8 years old nigger I'm legit fb me

>15" KMR
my nigga

Bugout bags are for 3 days. It's about surviving long enough to get you somewhere better. I've taken mine out for 3 days and lived off of it. It's hard, but I was nowhere near dying, and I did 6 mile hikes with it each day.

I agree, bugging in is easily the best option. But if that option isn't viable for whatever reason, you may as well have a bag around to get you somewhere safe. Hell, even if you just needed to trade some stuff for a ride, the bag might be worth it's weight in gold.

I live in NYC. Is there any point into making a prep bag? It seems pretty silly and a waste of money. If a nuke goes off what am I going to do, abandon my family, go walk upstate and tough it out in the woods in the middle of the winter?

I'd like a more realistic prep thread instead of people showing off dumb shit they were conned into buying from panic salesmen because they think they can Survivorman out alone in the wilderness if the grid gets shut down or something.

>Is there any point into making a prep bag?
A bug out bag isn't for the apocalypse. It could be as simple as spare clothes, some snacks and a few hundred dollar bills to get you out of the city in the event a sudden hurricane is coming.

>I'd like a more realistic prep thread instead of people showing off dumb shit they were conned into buying from panic salesmen
Lol don't be butthurt because you can't buy an AR15 bitch nigger.

How far can you walk in 3 days? 60 miles on paths 40 cross country? Have you ever walked all day? Do you know what the fuck that does to your feet? In basic training they spend months training to get to do their final op and it still kicks their fucking ass. Anyone thinking they're going to put a backpack and go camping when the shit hits the fan is a fucking retard.

Or in the event that SWAT is tearing drown the street at 60mph and you've got 8 seconds to grab what you need and bail out the back window before you're apprehended and on your way to rikers.

>I am a pussy that lives in a shitty, cucked part of the US.
>I get triggered by actual Americans that own firearms and adapt to their environment with various gear
>wah wah tailor this thread to my pussy existance, where will I put my makeup bag

If you're in NYC, a bag of the basics can't hurt. If something major happened, FEMA, the police, the red cross, and probably the national guard would be there for you. But if you're trying to hike across the Brooklyn Bridge to get out of town, you might want a good pair of shoes and a safehouse of someone in New Jersey that you can retreat to.

I don't know what would happen in NYC that would drive you out. A nuke, radiation, or some kind of incredibly viral disease... I guess those are your most likely threats? Riots probably would never go city-wide... But a weapon and some stored water could help you with that.

NYC wouldn't be allowed to go full primal like other cities might. I think you're probably going to wind up getting food delivered door to door by FEMA, and probably can make it just fine in your apartment.

le boomp

I got a Rush 72 hour pack about five years ago. I paid about 60 bucks. It served me well, but as I got more serious about hiking - I've started looking into the framed packs at REI. I have the money now.

But if you can get a good deal on the Rush, I'd buy it. It really did serve me well for many years. Very comfortable. I just need something lighter and more specialized for alpine trekking.

where the fuck did you find a rush 72 for 60 bucks nigga?

Ithaca here. I would prefer death to an Ithaca winter in a sleeping bag

Heres why being a preptard is stupid.

You can't prepare for every situation.

Trying to have one bag thats going to save your ass no matter happens is a fallacy.

Example. Preptard A has lived his whole life in New Orleans hatin the niggers drinkin that bud light and lovin his flag and budlight and hatin the gubment, he has a truck, a shittons of guns, thousands or rounds of ammo, shitloads of rice and beans, and a few medical supplies. Katrina hits his shit floods and his backpack is useless. Derp never had a boat because needs more ammo.

Preptard B is waiting for the gubmint to take his guns, has a shitload of ammo and gunz. Economic collapse happens, has a week of food.

Its all bullshit. Your mind is your most useful tool to keep yourself alive. You need to feed your head. Fucking read.

Prepping isn't about some stupid fucking bag or a car or a fucking boat. Its a lifestyle called SELF SUFFICIENCY. If you really want to survive whatever may come you need to make life changes. You need to become the same as the pioneers in the old west striving for self sufficiency. Grow a fucking garden, go hunting, learn carpentry and welding, know how to drive a fucking tractor and anything with wheels and fix them too. Yeah you can play with your guns too. Learn how to preserve food, store food, and take care of your fucking self.

buzz cut fade

ayy el mayo i do the same only for the gold chainz

fishmox cured my cat scratch fever at home

>eagle scout
>8 years old
seems legit

my "day pack" is good for 48-72, including amenities for a date

>mfw americunt burgerbobs need "survival gear"
>"democracy", "civility","police", "welfare",
>i am le safe
get rekttttt

I can do 18 miles in 3 days, with 1000+ ft elevation. It kicks my ass, but I can do it. I'm not saying I'm going to go all primal and live like a wild man off of a single bag of stuff.

I live in Seattle. If something major happened here. A Tsunami, Rainier erupting, biological or chemical attack, etc... I can get out of town fast. Faster than most people. Once I'm out of town, I can assess my options. If those options include going to my regular camping spot and waiting for 3 days until I know it's safe to return, then that's how it'll be. I see nothing wrong with that as a backup plan.

I know I'm not fit enough to hike 40 miles in harsh conditions while foraging for food and building fire with flint and steel. I'm just saying a few extra items that could save my life can't hurt to have around.

Just imagine if riots turned into martial law. Or the race war starts. Or... just whatever, A nuke or something... Wouldn't you rather be able to toss a bag into the car and hit the road while everyone else is packing?

That's the point of my bag. It gives me a 3 day lifeline and options for wilderness survival if need be. Plus it's fun to take it camping and practice bushcraft.

>here Sup Forums watch me build strawmen to argue against

This is honestly one of the most stupid posts I've ever read here.

>balance
>a boy scout is always prepared
>some prep better than no prep

so 6 miles a day? that's pussy tier even with 60 pounds of prepgear on your shoulders.

You really think you're going to be able to drive out of there on a road? I've been there and Portland. You're not going anywhere bro, it takes an hour to get across town on a NORMAL day.

Also hope you thought packing fuel ahead of time. Good luck with your half a tank.

>thinking that 4 wheels is better than 2

>I can't prepare for everything
>better not prepare for anything

I can't even tell if this is a shitpost or not, that's how bad this board has gotten lately

Anyone have any experience with portable panels?

waste of money or potentially useful?

Atleast you're thinking.

potentially useful especially if you have offline topo maps, goal zero has some good stuff

Nothing I've discussed here precludes me doing that AND having a bag. I practice bushcraft, have a garden, know how to weld, hunt, and fix electronics. I strive to learn all of the skills that would keep me alive. I've read the Ranger's Handbook, among other survival based books.

And even more importantly than that, I have a small group of guys who are all interested in this. A group is going to be the #1 survival tool you've got. The fact that I have a bag doesn't mean I'm relying 100% on some dumb bag to save my life or keep me alive. It's a single facet of a larger lifestyle.

Frankly, I'd be disappointed to hear that you can do all of the things you've mentioned and you don't have a survival bag.

>implying literally thousands of people aren't going to do the exact same thing as you

Unless you live in a rural area already you're pretty well fucked in a bugout situation.

Its no more of a shitpost than thinking you're going to be okay with an obvious as fuck blackhawk bag innawoods when the shit hits the fan.

realistically what are you going to be charging that's essential to your well being?

I mean I guess it can be good for charging up a little netbook so you can minecraft in between setting up snares... for a little morale I guess

I live in an outer borough in a full house. We've accumulated shit over the years to survive should we be snowed in for weeks or whatever since my mom's from a rural part of a tiny west indian country and learned from her parents how to make it after a storm or power outage cuts you off for a week or two. Learned stuff about fishing and preparing poultry along with how to stretch food and what have you after living there as a kid.

We have spare clothes, food, and are getting a generator soon. BF's family has an isolated cabin and barn up in VT in case we had to GTFO but the major concern is if the bridges were destroyed or closed we would be isolated from mainland American outside of a ferry.

I also don't see the city going full Mad Max unless something nuke tier went down and even then we know the emergency FEMA locations and the nearby schools and churches with fallout shelters that can be reached within 2 to 3 minutes of running on foot.

Geeze i don't know what's with the character attacks. I would like to get and learn to use a firearm. Just because I'm more into practical planning instead of boyscout camping that wouldn't benefit most people doesn't mean i take this kind of stuff lightly. You guys got some real fragile egos.

>what's with the personal attacks
>posted "instead of people showing off dumb shit they were conned into buying from panic salesmen because they think they can Survivorman" earlier

wew fuckin' lad

you can use the sparks from shorting batteries to start fires.

all you need is a fireteam

libshits and cucks pay taxes to your fireteam

>itt
>plebolies with tacticool gear
>le safe haven neckbeards
>a few cool dudes that want to have a plan

like pic related?

6 miles of mountain trails per day, each with over 1000ft of elevation. That kicks my ass while hauling 2 gallons of water, a tent, and my bag. Yes. I'm not pretending to be Grizzly Adams here. In fact, since I'm not Grizzly Adams, I need the bag of goodies even more.

I cannot believe the level of asshurt this thread is producing in people. What in god's name is wrong with having a bag to keep myself alive? I'm a reasonably fit guy with an average build. I'm not some Navy SEAL... like most people. Jesus Christ if you're so badass, then keep an eye out for a tired dude in the mountains and take his shit.

One thing I do train with regularly is guns though, so I hope you're ready for that.