What went wrong?

>can't be a feminist if you've been raped
>better retcon that

who is this slut ?

The writing.

What was supposed to go right?

What was the plan here?

Cain's run on Mockingbird

The comic wasn't bad the first two issues. It was ok, and it looked like it was setting up an interesting story arc.

Then the first page of Issue #3 insulted every single Marvel fan. From there, it only got worse.

Marvel still don't get that insulting the only people who buy your product, to score points with people who never (ever) will isn't a good idea.

>Went ALL IN with an audience they literally didn't have
>Audience they did have leaves because every comic is about about virtue signaling and the SJW political movement and not at all about telling an interesting, weird, far out, cool, epic, heroic, comic book type of story.

They've been aware for several years that their audience is literally dying out (the majority in their 30-60s). But to just tell that audience to fuck off within the course of one year is totally moronic. They went for short term gains, and didn't have a long term strategy as they should have, slowly easing out the older readers over 10-20 years. They've effectively killed the printed comic book medium. 50%+ comicbook stores will close in the next 10 years because of Marvel's fuck up. Secret Wars should've rebooted Marvel into more of an MCU kind of thing, where they could've gained all the huge MCU film fan audience but they went in the completely opposite direction. Looking to hook the young adult novel/tumblr audience and they fucked up badly.

How does DC get away with not going for the YA audience? Their comic books have been fun and constantly selling well.

Simple: Chelsea Cain

Hiring activists and novelists that can't write without injecting their own personal biases into the character.

They don't feel a need to upset the tropes or "standards"

DC normally just wants to tell cool stories, which they don't always do, but at least the intent is pure (as pure as wanting to make money is)

It wasn't very good.

They do, the young animal imprint. They just dont fuck up their main titles with that type of shit.

The sjw rot hasn't set in deep enough, they've been slowly rebranding comics as a father/son hobby. Hopefully they will set this firmly in place before the childless freaks try to course correct.

The moment people thought turning beloved characters into mouthpieces for an unpopular and deeply flawed postmodernist dogma. Also, Marvel doubling down and being really transparent to any kind of criticism didn't help their case.

>Obsessed with...

Obsessed with what?

OBSESSED WITH WHAT!?

The book got cancelled so the writer went "fuck it."

>Mockingbird should have stayed dead

>That bottom panel is skewered as fuck
There have been female co heroes for every one of them:
Invisible Woman
Namora (1947)
Miss America (1943)
Venus (1948)
Marvel Girl

She forgot to change the belt into the Wumbo setting.

Whenever this is pointed people just say that they were lame and sexist.

Giving her powers

>Still being this triggered long after her book was cancelled.

With cocks

I guess user can't keep making Rick & Morty sucks threads all day, he needs more variety.

>exposed childhood self to countless x-rays and lord knows what kind of toxic shit in vain attempt to acquire super powers

>exposed adult self to cosmic Ray's and lord knows what kind of toxic shit as a non-powered superhero

>exposed adult self to radioactive spider semen

Poignant "Death of Mockingbird" cancer storyline when?

>expecting SJWs to know heroes created before the 80s

The audiance isnt dying out, they wouldve made thousands of new comic readers in the superhero age if they didnt fuck with the comics

Marvel hates its audience and continuity in general now.

Marvel is fucking trash

Underrated

Loud markets aren't always profitable.

Jesus Christ.
That mom panel made me cringe.
I wish I didn't know better. I'd have laughed at the rich white woman pretending she's oppressed.
But I know better so I know it was completely serious.

Later that same issue, the comment makes not one but two references to tampons. The writer bragged about that fact as if it were an accomplishment.

Apparently that we don't commonly discuss menstruation at dinner is a sign of how sexist the country is. At least, that seems to be the mindset of the writer, but of course when you're a extremist feminist... when you have a new hammer everything starts to look like a nail, when you have a radical ideology everything starts to look like heresy.

It could be that we simply don't delve into most bodily functions during dinner conversation. Its not a sexism thing, its a *politeness* thing. The closest thing I can think of on the male side is smegma and I've *never* seen than discussed outside of health class. Meanwhile. pad and tampon commercials are rampant and this writer pretends like its not discussed because its not brought up multiple times per issue in superhero comicbooks?

It was alright. Sup Forums just likes to bitch about stupid shit

calm your tits, chelsea

The bullshit was bad enough but the retcon that fucked over her character was the icing on the cake

But Marvel actually hires such writers so they can INJECT their personal biases into the characters.

So from their perspective, outside of sales, it worked as intented.

That was the biggest sin Cain committed in her run.

No, she turned it into an F-you to the fans far earlier than the last issue of the series.

Someone above said it started with issue #3, but I remember reading Mockingbird issue #2 (never read #1) and feeling blandly appalled with its low-grade tedious feminism that just isn't interesting to anyone or true to the characters or Marvel U. I mean yeah probably the series got worse as it went, but early on you could see where the idiot writer wanted to take it.

These people have one-track minds and only a handful of obsessions to bicker on about. It isn't really even like they have a conscious choice. They're ideological idiots who can't NOT write about this angry empty stuff. It's all they know and all they think about.

Btw have the comics adreessed her betrayal in the nazi-cap story? Is everyone pissed at her or something or everyone forgot it?

>YA audience
Young Animal audience?
Wait, is Young Animal they're YA titles?

>biclops
every time

She raped a cowboy and killed him so Clint would break up with her. Working for Hydra is the least of her concerns.

it's like one half inch deeper than a normal comic and that totally defeated Sup Forums

W-What.

Seriously, out of the loop. W-WHAT?

In the original West Coast Avengers story, the gang got sent back in time. Bobbi, was found by Lincoln Slade (Phantom Rider II). Lincoln had been driven mad by the spirits, and he drugged Bobbi into loving him. She would break out of it and fight him, knocking him off a cliff-choosing not to save him. This death would drive a wedge between her and Hawkeye, leading to them separating.

Retcon, She was never drugged. She took advantage of that crazy ass cowboy and rode him hard, then beat him up and tossed him off a cliff, Why? because things weren't working out with Hawkeye. Empowerment!

Stronk women do not get raped! Only weak women get raped! Stronk women cheat on their husbands because stronk women can do what they want!

I think that's the intended audience.

I like to think of it more as the DC quarantine zone (along with Batgirl and a couple of other titles).

After a rough start, Batgirl's current arc is actually pretty enjoyable.

Chelsea Cain ruined that character.

Gave her penis envy
Made her a murderous cheating spouse

Sad part is, the SJWs supported the decision because getting drugged and raped was "problematic."

So being a murdering slut is better?

What does Marvel Girl have to do with Biclops?

>Secret Wars should've rebooted Marvel into more of an MCU kind of thing, where they could've gained all the huge MCU film fan audience but they went in the completely opposite direction.
Changing shit plot-wise isn't gonna help anymore, it can only make things worse by alienating current fans. It's the very way that floppies work that makes getting any respectable number of new readers impossible.

You know it's bad when Slott writes the chracter better than you.

>Rebirth
>not YA reading
Kek

Yea that added 'depth' really helped with its sales.

You'd think with Marvel losing so badly on the comics front they'd have a tighter reign on their writers and better editors, rather than letting people who put their ideology and personal/political beliefs as more important than, ya know, writing an entertaining story. Put your beliefs into your work, sure, but don't make the entirely of the comic suffer for it because you're so focused on showing how progressive and trendy you are.

she says in the letter pages that bobbi is an unreliable narrator!

Because he's trying to rehab this bullshit by making her fun again. Problem is it's Dan Slott so he makes Pete look like shit so she can look cool

The retcon - which is the worst part - was in dialogue

That was the most backwards logic I have ever seen in a comic.
>Entire run forces you to look at her as a strong female role model that can do no wrong
>"I was kidding about being raped. I cheated on my husband then killed my side piece so he wouldn't find out."

Then there's the issue where she talks down a superpowered girl because men hate talking about periods.

>One of the most interesting peaks of character development in Marvel at the time of its release
>Nah stronk womyn can't get raped

That's fucked up

Car crashes are interesting, that doesn't make them good.

The Phantom Rider thing honestly still gets points from me for really stretching the ideas of heroes and morality.
>Bobbi has her own limit in her "no kill" rules.
>Her decision causes tension between not only her teammates, but her husband.
>Phantom Rider was known for being a legendary hero, so that creates an even greater distance.

It wasn't the best thing ever, but I can't help but give it points.

why are all these new diverse characters all the same?
i would read a comic about an african man, look at how africa is right now, its basically anarchy, real racial segregation and dictators who raise and fall from power on a monthly basis, that sounds like an awesome set up for a ton of different types of comic, you could have every single character be black
i would read a comic about an asian girl, hell i already read a comic about a transgender, it was awesome, it was also good
you cant expect people to care about diverse characters if the writing is shit, sure people stick with old familiar faces through bad writing but thats only because they associate them with good shit they read in the past

Who fucking cares it's just a stupid comic. We are all losers caring this much about comics

>Sup Forums is allowed to talk about whatever comic they want, EXCEPT FOR THIS ONE, STOP REMINDING EVERYONE OF THIS FAILURE

Something that shouldn't be overlooked is the timing of the sentiment. When a tampon brand ran a rather successful ad campaign based on highlighting the restrictions of what can actually be mentioned in a tampon ad campaign years prior, saying, "we need to be more open about discussing menstruation," feels like a safe and timid stance.

We already DID the Mockingbird death storyline.

She was shot in the back by the Devil after the West Coast Avengers fought Himmler and Stalin in Hell.

Screencaps or gtfo

That actually sounds pretty awesome.

It was a horrible book from start to finish, don't listen to "n-no, only three issues suck" fags.
By the way, LE EPIC CORGI wasn't funny the first hundred times Cain did it and it definitely wasn't funny after that.

Young Animals is DC's YA line. At DC, the plague gets quarantined from the adult stuff by the Young Animals containment-label. At Marvel, everything is YA and all the writers are already infected.

>superheros need a Y-chromosome

This has never been true. But women in America are so bourgeois, swimming in so much wealth and privilege, that they need to invent these victim fantasies so they feel like complete human beings.

Meanwhile, in central Africa and the Middle East...

Seems like you get it.
Giving women penis envy is a horrible way to "empower" them.

>empower
Muh power. Need more power. Don't have enough power.

So tired of this stupid fetish/meme.

Worked on me at least. I ended up biting into comics as a bedtime event to do with my kids. Pick up a few each week and read one a night with my kids, everyone does a voice or two. Sometimes they'll act out the fights like its a script. Recently I've been giving it to them to read after school and they turn it into a play that they do before bed. Keeps them occupied and tires them out, plus I love it to bits. Exclusively DC comics for this btw.

Himmler had Poison Gas powers, and Stalin was basically Colossus. And they also had Lizzie Borden and Lucrezia Borgia on their side!

I... What? WHAT?
Did they retcon her to be a villian too?

That's fucking adorable.

gail simone and the milkshake crew

SJWs are never satisfied and they never change their stance on anything unless the hivemind tells them to. Similarly to how they obsessed about Trump colluding w/ Russia and then, when it's revealed their side was actually colluding, "why is everyone so fixated on russia? honestly so pathetic"

they do this every time. with every thing. in every job or industry they infest. doublethink, double standard shit.

Everything. Everything went wrong.

oversaturation of political grandstanding in multiple comics that catered to a very small audience. The "new fans" that were vocal on tumblr and co didn't arrive in numbers high enough to pick up Mockingbird and the rest of the wave of hyper political comics, just as a lot of the core comics audience began to lose interest in bothering to pick it up.

>Almost 24 hours later. Still triggered about a cancelled comic.

>Muh Triggering

Le Sigh