Hi Sup Forums

Hi Sup Forums
Second thread related to the Disney cels I found yesterday. Will give updates as I get them
Here is a link to the previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=D46PBv1hEao
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The looks to be in excellent condition. Best bet is to start getting them protected.

Well currently I'm getting value appraised and trying to get as much info on them as possible. My inquiry with the son of the background artist that originally gave them away has yet to be answered

So they painted these cartoons on cel with glass paint?

I'm no expert, but that's what it looks like in person.

That was an amazing thread, I spent a lot of time yesterday looking for the original animations before some user beat me to the punch

I'm glad you sound like a nice enough person, user. Congrats

go to las vegas and try to sell them to the pawn stars

Yeah, seeing the originals and knowing that I was literally holding it in my hand was amazing. The anons that helped me track these down were extremely cool people

Im guessing so those might be original watercolour backgrounds as well?
It coulr just be a copy too

I doubt they would have copied them in the 1940's, so I believe them to be original

I'm so glad for you man.

For a board about cartoons, these threads sure do have little attention.

Just goes to show you that people would rather talk about stuff they hate.

because the only cartoons discussed on here are modern cartoons literally made for children

Honestly seeing a $10,000 original Mickey cell juxtaposed with a proof sticky note for Sup Forums is some kind of modern art that really should be just as priceless.
I have to ask user now that you know the value are you tempted to keep any of them? Money is money obviously but that cat cell is comfy af. I'd be tempted to keep one just to have a reminder how unpredictable life can be

You know, if I keep any of them, it will be the cat or the fly. Both are obscure characters from even more obscure cartoons. So nobody would really know what they were looking at. Mickey would be badass on my wall, but he's simply too valuable for me to keep. I would be devastated if I damaged it.

But at the moment, I am not sure if I will keep any

And before anyone asks, I am holding the sticky note in my hand, it never touched the cell in anyway, I am not that stupid

man,that most cost a fortune,where did you get those user?

Puzzlebox at a thrift store

man OP is such a lucky man,he should stop taking pictures of them,light damage animation cells,if this are real they cost a fortune,op should get a lawyer and ask him if there is a way to confirm this things age,and get an authentication certificate,maybe contact disney research library if they know how to prove their age

Congrats, user
Think in all of the Sup Forums Passes things you could buy!

>The Mickey Mouse one
>In that good of condition
hot damn, that's a fucking gem.
youtube.com/watch?v=D46PBv1hEao
Lets watch the shot just for fun.

I was reading the first thread with a lot of interest. For some reason, the story of finding a bunch of rare old cels in a puzzle box at a random thrift store made me really happy. It's such a cool and lucky find. I'm happy for OP and I'll be looking forward to updates.

I know you are all going to hate me for even suggesting this, considering how much money could be on the line, but what if we tried to reunite them with the rightful owners if possible?

The "rightful owners" are the Disney corporation. If Disney got them, they would either auction them off, which is what OP is probably going to do, or put them in a museum, which is what the guy that OP auctions them off to is going to do. Either way you're just introducing a middleman.

Actually, as i said in the original thread, I emailed the son of the guy who gave them to the woman that owned them and wrote the letter. He has yet to reply, but I'm curious to see how that would go.

it makes me wanna go and search a bunch of thrift stores/garage sales now.
i`m inspired to find good finds after reading that beautiful thread

OP, if you'd like, I can contact my buddies at Disney and get you in touch with the right people.
Gems like these are few and far between. Makes a great family heirloom, or can fetch you some nice cash if you choose to sell it.

Those guys always undersell valuable shit. Best bet is to find an appraiser (which OP already has) and sell it yourself. Pawn shops are patented rip offs that will undersell you by thousands of dollars just so valuable shit can rot on their shelves.

Or split the difference and pick a favorite to keep and sell the rest.

I mean, if you know actual people at disney and not the nobodies who work in the retail stores, I don't mind talking with them

OP, you're a usual member of Sup Forums?
You came to the right people to ask for advice, if this is your first time here. Kudos for the find! Good luck!

>OP wants to give these back to Disney, or the family of the guy that orginally gave them away

Yeah, donate them back for free as an act of kindness, so they can immediately auction them off for thousand of dollars.

I've lurked a few times, but Sup Forums is not my usual environment. These are the first threads and posts I have ever made on this board

Third appraiser finally called me back after some odd 13 hours. He was extremely enthusiastic about it and kept telling me that I was "Living what people dream about"
But proceeded to offer me $4500 saying that the mickey is great, but not a scene that is worth much and that Max Hare is the only other one worth anything, stating that Pluto, the bug, and the cat might never sell.

That's the lowest offer I have received yet, but also the most enthusiastic person about it. He also said he "loves seeing it, but doesn't want to betray what the art really is." he talked my ear off for 20 minutes about it all too.
Do you think this guy was trying to swindle me?

>go to las vegas and try to sell them to the pawn stars

>Animation Guy: "I'd say these cels are worth about $5,000 altogether."
>Pawn Star: "So how much do you want for them?"
>Seller: "$5,000?"
>Pawn Star: "No, see, I've got my overhead to think about, and I'll need to find a buyer for them, and they could be sitting on the shelf for years, taking up space that I need..."
>Seller: "So how much will you give me for them?"
>Pawn Star: "I'm thinking $200."
>Seller: "Okay, sounds like a good deal."

Every time.

>but not a scene that is worth much
It's from Mickeys Rival, one of the more notable Mickey Mouse shorts. Even if it is a random scene that you couldn't really tell otherwise, that notability alone should boost it up a couple hundred.

The fact that they're all Disney cels too automatically gives them some pedigree. To add, you found these just as Cuphead got old cartoons back into mainstream media. There's thousands of Disney geeks and freaks who would see value in the other cells, no doubt.

pretty much, yeah

It could have just as easily been a misappropriation. Things like this turn up so rarely that it's hard to gauge what they might be worth. He probably didn't want to overestimate what they may go for and ended up going too far in the other direction.

he sounds excited but otherwise clueless as to how much they're worth

He claimed to have been selling these for 27 years

They're worth whatever someone's willing to pay for them. The other estimates could also be greatly over-estimating their value or greatly under-estimating it. All an appraiser can do is take an educated guess. You shouldn't just assume he's malicious just because he gave a low estimate.

You're also right not to trust him completely.

Do the puzzle

That's really amazing OP. Maybe I should visit thrift stores more often