youtube.com/watch?v=3PTW-9DeFs0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

meh yeah whatever

SAY IT WITH ME
>A

I don't get it
what's wrong with a ramp

>not having a ramp

i thought you americans had the most advanced carriers, but a small incline was beyond your levels of technology?

Why are ramps bad?

Not everybody can buy a catapult,at least we have a carrier

>meh yeah whatever
The last 50 years of British history in three words.

I just love this meme ship :DDDDD

A ramp is literally better than a catapult in every way

FUCKING

>FUCKING

/asp/ that way

fucking skateboarders

Truth. America uber alles.

You can launch heavier aircraft with more ordnance using a catapult.

Catapult cost a lot

or you could just have a ramp

At least it's not A FUCKING STEAMBOAT

Ramp!

Don't F35's like vertically take off? What do you even need a deck for

meme all you want
having a ramp is much more efficient than not having one
>inb4 MUH DICK MUH RELEVANCY MUH ARMY
its not "yours" and the sooner you realise this the better

>America
>Still falling for the flashy expensive equipment meme in 2016
What will your economy do if you ever fight against someone that isn't an incestuous shepherd with a sub-80 IQ?

It's actually just so that if they want to do a sick barrel roll before flying off to bomb innocent Yemeni children they can do that easier with a ramp

ramps are cool

for you

>ramp

yeah they used to rule the waters but not anymore but a ramp has nothing to do with ruling the waters, if for their shit planes and no one thinks they rule the air

>russianon develops new class of carrier
>you can make a carrier for f35s that's actually a submarine
>flight deck is a square oriface sticking out of the water

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_deck#Ski-jump_ramp

>Ski-jump ramp takeoffs are considered safer than takeoffs over a flat-top carrier. When a Harrier launches from an American LHA (Landing Helicopter Assault) it might finish its takeoff roll and begin flight at 60 ft (18 m) above the water. It might not have a positive rate of climb, especially if the ship had pitched nose down during the takeoff roll. Using a ski-jump ramp, the plane will certainly launch with a positive rate of climb and its momentum will carry it to 150 to 200 ft (46 to 61 m) above the water.

US Carrier sailor here, ramps are a fucking joke.

Steam catapults a best.

Pic related is my ship-fu though.

Not a problem for the richest country on Earth

Having a max launch capacity of two bombs is fine for 10 week vacations in Argentina, but some of us need to be prepared for more intense conflicts

your carrier is at the mercy of the weather and the tides.

a catapult means even if your boat is rocking back and forth your aircraft do not deviate as they leave the deck.

Will someone tell me where this ramp meme came from?
What exactly is wrong with ramps?

Apparently, from a video I saw just the other day, the British military is NOT happy with the compromise. They DID want a cat system, but the bean counters said no.
The BBC were even goading them, asking WHY they weren't going down the same path as the new Ford class with the electro-magnetic launchers.
the interviewees were almost grinding their teeth while answering.

We have an electromagnetic catapult that can launch a c130

Waste of fuel reducing their range.

*blocks your path*

You can take off with more weight using a runway. Like the harriers didn't vertically take off a lot because having it do a short take off could carry more shit

Actually having an aircraft carrier is much more efficient than not having any, eh croat?

Doubt what strawberry?

you mean dropping 'palm on gooks?
or fighting more gooks

>not posting the real pic

RAMP

EVEN CANADA HAD A PROPER ONE

and we have a ramp.

it is a very nice ramp, though.

I thought you fats built good jets?

FUCK RAMPS AND FUCK THE QUEEN, I NEED DETECTIVES

What's your rate-belay my last, your NOS? ST here.

Get'm DDG-bros!

Australia has best navy in world tho

>muh dick
>muh army
>muh relevancy
stay cucked 60%
my grandpa with an ak47 could kill 30 of your marmemes

Planning for VTOL-version of the F-35 is one of the most disgraceful and horrifying decisions in military history ever.

SHART

sorry this is a Sup ForumsDOD thread not a Sup Forumsintel thread

i'm trying to work out how to make an effective submarine carrier

A lot of good all that whiteness is doing for you. Come up with real achievements please.

That's a big boat

Unless you plan on engaging in air-to-air combat outside of your airspace, they're a waste of money. They're expensive, vulnerable, and require lots of maintenance. For both strategic and tactical strikes, missiles are often more practical, especially considering carrier planes have minimal payload in the first place.

We thought we'd go for a ramp this time for that retro vibe, seem as how we invented both the steam-catapult and the ski jump

Of course they're not happy, it severely limits their capability. We're going to be restricted to the F35s and helicopters.

Nothing to be done about it now though. We've just been doing the minimum to meet NATO commitments for years now.

I just killed your grandpa over the internet.

its fool proof. it angles the plane so even if some one is lost in thought its going to gain altitude. a good idea since planes cost to much to throw away because of a bad takeoff

so now using simple archimedian principles instead of relying on a steam catapult to generate stupid lift is retarded? I'm surprised that burgercarriers never thought to do this

Well we already can launch small drones from missile tubes. We're not at full SupCom though.

HAHAHA holy fuck, the rollercoasters at Universal Studios have better design than that piece of shit.

We kill sandniggers, now. Try to keep up.

>rate
>NOS

Triggered. I'm a SWO but that seriously ruined my day when that came out. Y'all deserve better.

Super carriers are technically steamboats.

>"You see, comrade, when evil imperialist Americans try to bomb our carrier, they will be fooled. They will think is small volcano and fly far away to avoid ash"

Wait what? I've been out for four years now. They switched rate to MOS?

Ex-MM here.

It's a /k/ meme because it means that it's not THE MOST SUPER ADVANCED AND BEST CARRIER.

Catapults and other active launch systems help to increase range and the max weight of the aircraft you can sortie, but is expensive and takes a lot of time to develop.

A ramp is cheap and allows for sorties in choppier seas - something the QE class is far more suited to than the Nimitz, or even new Ford class.

We're not using CATOBAR systems because it was originally supposed to be a co-operative project with the French, but they fucked us over and left, cost estimates for CATOBAR doubled, and we'd be without a carrier (even one) until 2023.

So we just went with the F35-B instead of the C and here we are.

What it really represents is a massive leap forward in automation, on-board logistics which increase the number of sorties-per-day, and reduce the crew component by ~50% of what you'd expect on an equivalent carrier. US has had a keen eye on it, and there's a very low-key and in the shadows worry about US espionage into the QE program for that reason, since even the new Ford class can only manage ~25% less at hypothetical max.

But catapults are far from perfect and require continual replacement of parts. Not ideal in a combat situation when you are 1000 miles from port.

Ruling the waves isn't that important anymore. We ruled the waves when it was important and we controlled trade. It's all about the air now and it just so happens that one way to do that is with aircraft carriers. The real weakness is the lack of planes. Although I don't understand the importance of a ramp with so many jets having vertical takeoff abilities which is likely going to be the takeoff path for jets of the future.

>tfw there is no point in even trying we peaked so high
At least no other nation in history will have a golden age like ours.

By literally 10 miles
>WOW

Besides this way we get to laugh at yank technology and have our carriers refitted with a catapault and the amerilards will foot the bill for not upholding their end of the contract (yes Amerilards we require WORKING PLANES not some money sink that shit's it's self in bad whether)

Even as far back as WW2 the RN was starting to make some weird choices.

>15-16 in guns are pretty much standard now
>Let's go back to 14 in guns for no reason
>Also, lets use overcomplicated quad turrets that don't work very well

Forgive ny fellow burgers, I like your new carrier and understand that it was made to meet your current needs without costing gabillions of dollars.

Well yeah how else will the planes take off? lol

FORCE PROJECTION

As in if you fuck with this country will forcefully project carriers up your ass with no lube.

Protip: don't. It's a dumb idea.
Just load up an SSGN and park it offshore whatever you want to hit. Littorals blown the fuck out every time.

>it is a very nice ramp, though.
It is indeed.

>implying Imperio EspaƱol nunca existiĆ³.

The japanese already did. You can see how well that worked for them.

that isnt real tho
if i remember its a tanker on fire photoshoped into a carrier
you can still see the fire suppression boats being poorly photoshoped out

It's obviously so they can do sick jumps and shit

it's just a joke...

They're the SAAB of navies: for every ridiculous idea they have at least one insanely good one. Take this thing, for example, its radar is currently the most advanced on a warship and it's capable of engaging every fighter in the Argentine air force simultaneously from over the horizon. There's a very good reason Argentina gets pissy everytime one of them sails down South.

>trade
>all about the air

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU WERE IN THE SOUTH CHINA SEA

Fucking impossible* to do good flight ops with cargo ships and oil platforms everywhere.

*difficult for non-americans, SWOs can do literally anything

You started off strong with the word 'implying' but lost me after that Texas. Empires work best when those doing the sailing can read the weather.

It's cute. I can almost hear the little boat saying "ub ub and awayyy"

Even that project was cut back on funding. Look up the capabilities of an Arleigh Burke, all the T45 can do now is AAW. It was originally intended to be just as capable and they only built half the number of ships originally requested.

This would all be fine if the government wanted to withdraw into strictly defense. But they want to play America's world police sidekick with an underfunded military.

>carrier has the smallest contingent of staff of any modern/future planned carrier
>also has the fastest aircraft deployment rate of any carrier regardless of ramp
>no carrier aircraft launches full load
>the only advantage of a catapult is shorter minimum deck launch distance for a fully equipped aircraft
>ramp does the same job for less

The only problem with the British carriers is the lack of a nuclear reactor. That said the maintenance and cost is way lower for what they are.

Could have bought and modernised the Nimitz design for less tho.

There is literally nothing wrong with a ramp. It's what makes sense to help an airplane take off.

>Although I don't understand the importance of a ramp with so many jets having vertical takeoff abilities which is likely going to be the takeoff path for jets of the future.

I have no knowledge in the field, but heavier weather may drastically affect the vertical takeoff maybe?

youtube.com/watch?v=3PTW-9DeFs0

strong winds and such

Yup, since Burke and Richardson felt that the ratings created too 'tribal' a mentality and that it made unnecessary divisions in the organization.

VTOL is a weak meme.

>>no carrier aircraft launches full load
I have no idea what you mean by this.

>HMS Dragons ship motto is 'we yield but to Saint George' alluding to the saints story and only taking orders from England
based af

>Ruling the waves isn't that important anymore

EL OH EL
you are one salty brit

Its been evident from the past 100 years we like
planes much more than boats.

Huh, I learned something. I always assumed modern ramp carriers had catapults too, they just used the ramp for better takeoffs. If they're still using WWII era designs, that's pathetic.

>fighter in the Argentine air force simultaneously from over the horizon.

Well......that no a great thing, you know the state of that air force?, they lost his reaction motor planes and only have this shit in air.

That's fucking retarded. It gave people pride in their jobs, even if they were shitty ones. How do you expect to throw people into a 110F steam plant for eight hours turning wrenches, pay them the same amount as some 18 year old girl serving chicken tenders in the chow line and expect them to stay motivated?
>b-but you guys are all equal now
Fuck that, I wouldn't want to spend all night running fucking propulsion plant causality drills while everyone else sat on the mess decks drinking coffee and chilling if I couldn't take pride in my rate and be called a fireman, not a seaman.