Race bending in comics

How is Race bending traditionally white characters in comic books not cultural appropriation? Why don’t people of color just make their own superheroes?

That would require creative ideas, which nobody in the industries have.

Look I know what you're saying.
But you'd have to be a giant faggot to think that samuel L fury is not the superior one.
Like a HUGE faggot.

They tried with Mosaic. Shame the book was hot turd on a hot plate
New Super-Man is new, for a given definition of new. Defacer is also new I suppose

apparently these people consider the fact that most characters were made white to be a shameful mistake of our ignorant past, before the wonder of multiculturalism.

and thus it is rationalized to them.

read some comics faggot

Who cares if the characters aren't that vital. Starfire is one I'm concerned about, where they could have gone with a more neglected race, a big asian lady would have looked better as her kind of alien imo.

Nick Fury gets a pass too, if he was just standard Nick it wouldn't make much difference unless he had more personal scenes. The rest it's whatever.

Because it's the white people doing it

like I said...
HUGE
FAGGOT

Just to be clear I don’t mind race bending. My problem is they do not see it as cultural appropriation

And let's face it. Iris West was nothing. Always been nothing. Wife of Barry? Does that mean anything? Aunt of Wally West? Was she relevant in Wally's run as the flash? The Tornado Twins were last seen as evil and even before then weren't that important. Bart is, but you could have one of the twins date a white guy and you get Bart. Only important and he hasn't been seen in years... Bartor doesn't count

Iris West was Lois Lane light. She's not Lois Lane or that Star Sapphire.

Being reporter should not have been Iris's job in the first place. Does he have personality? In the comics I mean? Someone on Facebook described Iris as beautiful and some other junk that you can describe everyone else.

black people always play aliens, you want to whine about Gamora while you're at it.

she's going to be dipped in so much bodypaint and with CG hair you probably won't be able to tell.

who the fuck is the fourth one?

Nah, OG Fury is still the best. But he's still pretty good. Fury power rankings:

OG>MCU>Ultimate>dogshit>Jr

Comics aren't cult\ure.

Books and stories are culture

Electro. Amazing Spider-Man 2.

ty user, that guy look like shit tho

Ppffffffft!
My sides!
I don't know-how want this bait!

Nobody gives a shit about your epin live action capeshit cancer

I know where this is from user, she gets absolutely destroyed by dick.

I have, they're called The Ultimates and The Ultimates 2.
Moron.

How is being white integral to those characters in that picture?

Mmmh no thanks
To me isn't the racial choice,as you said just paint,is about they choose someone
no attractive
not hot
That nose is ugly as sin

Sause then, don't leave me hard

Plenty of people find her hot, they don't have to cater to your definition of hot. I find her just ok but in hollywood she's at the top of her game. This is a place that thinks Gadot is hot and she is disgusting

Nobody does lol.

She is a black woman. She is the least desired race in the western world my boy. Nobody wants them. Hell, they don't want them. Nice try though.

>Culture
hahahahahahahaha

Butt-ugly nose
The rest of her is meh and

...This is a place that thinks Gadot is hot and she is disgusting
This is sad.
Yes you are right.

I want my heroines charismatic and sexy.

wew

t. cuck

except for like nu-wally, most of the time characters in comics remain as they are.

its when they translate these gingers to other properties that hollywood decides ginger=black for whatever reason.

I wouldn't doubt they have internal memo's saying all gingers must be race changed for inclusiveness or something. Or it's some really weird coincidence where every ginger gets racebent for some reason.

Least desired doesn't mean literally no one wants them.

Ultimate Fury >>>>>> 616 Fury, one of the few good Ultimate counterparts

Fuck off back to tumblr or stormfront with your "cultural appropriation".

You people sicken me.

I think he's trying to get at they make characters who were originally white black for no reason other than to be black. But nobody here is mad about Kamala because everyone here likes ugly lolis

>Why don’t people of color just make their own superheroes?
This is why supporting new Milestone is so important cause they have good original superheroes of color.

Well they made Brick who was the only black member of GA's rogue's gallery and one of the only ""major"" black villains in DC into a white chav for no reason. And no one said shit here the way they did for the Wests or Valkyrie.

>Sam Jackson and Ultimate Fury are better than 616
>Hate black Iris but she gave usJoe so that's kind of forgiven
>indifferent towards Heimdall, bit weird considering he's a Norse god but Idris does a decent enough job with the small role so whatever
>I find it hilarious that the Spider-Man villain they decided to blackwash was the one with Electric powers. Although I suppose making the Rhino Black might have been a bit more controversial

>you'd have to be a giant faggot to think that samuel L fury is not the superior one.

Considering that he was first played by The Hoff in the big screen, I will have to say that you are completely, one hundred percent wrong.

Just imagine, white Nick Fury shooting up a bunch of bad guys, then sitting into K.I.T.T., do an extremely high speed chase scene, destroy a tank by fucking ramming it head on and coming in unscatched, then do a turbo boosted jump, and land on a Helicarrier. Then he exists, and slaps Maria Hill on the ass while William Daniels comments him in an electronic voice about doing a good days work.

Sam Jackson is small time.

I don't mind racebending but I always annoyed that they choose black most of the time

Did the popularity of Hamilton cause a spike in race bending in media?

They do, it's just that finding mainstream success is rare.

>Le Hoff amirite guys XD

wew

This user knows what's what.

Please explain to me how Ultimates is better than Steranko's Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D or Ennis' My war gone by.
I'm legitimately curious how someone could come to this conclusion

You're just using the fact that he was so cool they cast Hasselhoff to play him and not saying you actually think the movie is in anyway good, r-right?

So you making up a scenario somehow qualifies? I'm not saying White Fury is bad, but he'd need his own film to pull off the shit that makes him cool, like Skrull Invasion or something. Jackson was fine for the type of scenes he got, just running orders and spy shit.

My War Gone By is MAX. But Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. is GOAT. He's also a fucking fantastic supporting character in Captain America and a Defender's story that escapes me.

Fuck off.

so we would have years of all white casts until a black character become a hit?
I don't like some of the race bends (Human Torch) but it makes the movies fun for everyone, more invitative. And it doesn't matter how buttblasted we get, deep inside we all want everybody to be happy with the movies.

Wasn’t a Static TV show planned?

I never said I like Ultimates more than either of those runs (love My War Gone By, liked Steranko's run too), I just prefer Ultimate Fury to 616 Fury as a general character.

I like Ultimate Peter more than 616 Peter but Kraven's Last Hunt and Spider-Man Blue are better than any story with Ultimate Peter. Similarly Dark Knight Returns is great but I'd never say I prefer the Millerverse Batman to standard Batman

It was a digital show but nothing has been yet.

Hoff and Knight Rider are meme shit.

>so we would have years of all white casts until a black character become a hit?
That’s not what OP was saying at all.

Well I don't give a shit about Green Arrow anyway

>Haha It's a-okay because I don't care about this situation but let me bitch about other similar situation

I thought Mosaic was seriously underrated.

No one watches Arrow. And yet I bet people were mad about this if I google it.

>expecting people online to be rational let alone here

>No Blood Syndicate

Why are they leaving out the best part of the Milestone Universe?

>So you making up a scenario somehow qualifies?

bitch have you even READ any Nick Fury comics? If the scene I described would happen, it would be so fully and completely accurate to his character, that I'm not even sure if it hadn't already been done to begin with.

Comic book Nick Fury was basically James Bond slash Rambo who got promoted so high up in S.H.I.E.L.D. that nobody knows exactly what his job title is anymore; so he goes on belt whipping generals in nuclear silos when they fuck up.

I guess having a black superhero group be made up of gangsters wouldn’t fly with a lot of people.

That may hold semi-true now but the Brick arc happened when Arrow was at the peak of it's popularity. Don't remember people being too pissed when this happened though although that was likely because Arrow fans for the most part have never picked up a comic in their lives. Applies for most capeshit TV/Movie fans of course but especially for Arrow

>No one watches Arrow
Tell that to the fags who still make weekly generals for it. And this was back in S3 when people were still reasonably hyped. Also notice I'm talking specifically about Sup Forums and all the people making threads like this about "muh ginger erasure" and "much white culture" whenever any character is race changed.

To be fair, if we want to be fair, how many ethnic characters are changed to white compared to white people being changed to ethnic characters?

For the record, I just wish we’d stick to ethnicities that are in the source material, with wiggle room for aliens and other fantasy characters.

I fucking hate when fags use this term but your rationalizations about why white fury is better is better than black fury of the mcu is unironically reddit-tier. "white fury is the hoff lolol" "knight rider lolol" is not an argument. I could meme back to you about all the movies Sam Jackson has done too, motherfucker. You could have said many things about white fury to prove your point but instead brought up the shitty movie with david hasselhoff instead.

They weren't all black. Some of them were Hispanic and Puerto Rican.

Pretty sure Arrow was like one of the most viewed shows on TV at the time of the Brick arc, iirc it was at the peak of its popularity.

They do and then you call it "forced diversity"
They literally cannot win with you faggots

Pffft. Arrow was at it's height during Season 2, Season 3 was a mixed bag, but the episodes involving Vinnie as Brick were great; however, they essentially brought Brick back as Tobias Church, with a black actor playing the role.

I don't really see why it matters unless being white is actually a big part of their character or arc like Iron Fist/Danny Rand. None of the characters in the OP has being white as a big part of their character.

It's needless to say that Sup Forums is biased. That doesn't mean it's ok.
That being actually said though, if the whitewashing was NEARLY as regular as the other way around I believe even Sup Forums would be annoyed.

We're talking about popularity. The Brick episodes were before people started bailing.

>they essentially brought Brick back as Tobias Church, with a black actor playing the role.

If they inserted in a not-Iris that was a ginger a few seasons down the line as a love interest for Barry do you think people bitching about Iris being black would be cool with it? Or would that say "why didn't they make her white in the first place"? Same situation here. What was the point of making Brick white? Unless of course changing the race of the character doesn't matter.

Pretty much the same case for me. Although I can forgive it if the actor is good like with Jackson Fury or Grant Gustin as a Flash (yes he's white but looks nothing like comics Barry otherwise)

Would Heimdall’s status as a Norse god affect casting?
I understand black Vikings were a thing but the majority of Norse god worshippers were white and a lot of early art reflected that.

I was referring to popularity not quality user (although according to Wikipedia it was most viewed during Season 1, Season 3 was the secondary peak though). I agree with you that Season 2 was the height in terms of quality though, although The Climb is my favorite ep in the series.

I just don't see what's wrong with it as long as the characters ethnicity/race isn't a big part of the character. You can change Iris without having any impact on her character or role in the story. But if you were to make Iron Fist/Danny Rand Asian which some dumbasses wanted or Black Panther into a white guy that would be inherently against the point of the character.

Another example: Khan in Star Trek Into Darkness was turned into a white guy why? Because the writer felt having an Indian Sikh as a villain was a no no. That's stupid.

Brick's race or nationality never was really an important detail in any of Green Arrow's stories; he never once brought it up nor did Green Arrow ever acknowledge it; besides, as much as Brick is clearly black in the comics, he's also fucking red. I personally never cared about Vinnie being Brick, but I recall it really being the first time I saw a black character being white. I, however, did find it odd that Brick in Arrow was basically just Vinnie Jones, and then when Season 5 of Arrow rolled around, Tobias Church was essentially Brick under a different name.

S5 was pretty great, so it's like.. Watch S1, S2, a handful of episodes from S3, skip S4, and then watch S5.

>unironically reddit-tier

Kid, the rationalization I used is the kind that would have been screencapped in '06 Sup Forums and would have been reposted every time someone makes a Black Nick Fury topic. I know because I've been here since then; and if you think it was breddit-tier then perhaps you should fuck off back to breddit seeing as how you are more educated in that sites culture than you are with Sup Forums's. I bet you don't even know who Chaptor is.

I'm not saying that Sam Jackson is a bad actor at any rate though. He is a legit badass on the level that he made George Lucas change things in Star Wars for him (which is like telling the Sun to rise a few hours later).
But Hasselhoff is way more OUTRAGEOUS than he is, and classic Nick Fury is badass because he is the kind of guy who flies on a jetpack and beats Hitler to death with his belt, not the guy who makes a big deal about his wallet having Bad Motherfucker written on it.

And that's why Hoff is more fitting for playing Nick Fury.

In the context of the MCU the Asgardians are inter dimensional biengs and there's precedence in the comics for some of them being of different skin colors.

>Sup Forums cancer brings up terrible live-action bullshit instead of Steranko Fury

And then you write a gigantic fucking wall of text about your irredeemably shit movies on the comics and cartoons board. God I fucking hate you people so much, I hope you get polio from rimming your mother's asshole.

oh, but what the hell am I doing arguing anyway, nu-Sup Forums doesn't read comics, so you wouldn't know about comic book Nick Fury anyway.

SLJ as nick fury was the correct choice.

There's nothing about Black Panther that inherently needs him to be black, anymore than any other character.

He's an African King

Fucking SJWs ruin good things again.

And the rat dude was Jewish.

>S5 was pretty great, so it's like.. Watch S1, S2, a handful of episodes from S3, skip S4, and then watch S5.
Yeah I saw 5, it was pretty solid. It has some fantastic episodes but overall it still ranks below Season 2 for me. 6 has been meh so far, I'm hoping the Richard Dragon plot actually turns out be good. I'm somewhat optimistic though since I was expecting Season 5 to be shit until I got to the midseason finale

>the rationalization I used is the kind that would have been screencapped in '06 Sup Forums and would have been reposted every time someone makes a Black Nick Fury topic.

Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.

Your second paragraph is convincing, your first paragraph makes you look like a newfag trying to distract people.

Because comics aren't books aren't white culture. Their race bending is done by white executives because the big two aren't culture, they aren't even subcultures; they're marketing teams that aim to pump out content to larger demographics.

>my stupid references to a shit movie would be screencapped in 2006!!

Because doing something that people used to do on a cambodian puppetry forum in 2006 is always the right way to go.

Anyway about the rest of the shit you wrote: They adapted Ultimates Fury. So they used the actor based on Ultimates Fury. Even then David Hasselhoff is still a stupid choice for the role and a reason why the movie was shit. If you would have used someone like Gary Sinise as an example you may have had a point. But even then that's not Ultimate Fury.

Kek I made a thread a year before Original Sin calling Marvel writing out White Fury due to SLJ in the movies and people told me I was full of shit. I've read all of Secret Warriors and all of Nick Fury, Agent of Shield. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean you're more well-read on the subject than they are, fagtron. Go fap to Le Hoff some more and reminisce about how cool it was to unironically post about how epic things are.

They don't want your white ass in it. No, I'm serious. It's not just about having more minorities. It's also about having less white people...unless they need racist villains and it's as white as Viking-era Scandinavia (contrary to the SJWs claims of black Vikings).

>Because doing something that people used to do on a cambodian puppetry forum in 2006 is always the right way to go.

Back then Sup Forums was way more original and not just a tumblr echo chamber, so yeah, it is a better way to go.

Same. I haven't watched last weeks episode, but I saw the trailer for this week's and it's Oliver playing the role of Felicity, for Felicity, as she does all the super hero stuff. Soooooo. Idk. It's like they learned nothing from Season 4.

I feel like you're lacking the self-awareness to realize that Reddit culture is essentially Sup Forums culture from 2006. The reason why you have more people telling you was a stupid post than sucking your dick and asking to be put in a screencap is because it's so unironically lame. Like the lame reddit shit that normies now make fun of.

Race is integral to any character ever. Like if Peter Park was black instead of white, his character and experiences would be different. Remember 17% of the population, 50% of the crime. Race matters.

>Remember 17% of the population, 50% of the crime. Race matters.